Old 01-01-2019, 03:11 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fast moving thread

Also welcome RAL, JustTony, Mandosca, Hopeful528 and Paperbag

D
Old 01-01-2019, 04:00 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Aaaghhhhh, sleep just isn’t ‘happening ‘!! I know it’s not to be expected but I’m feeling drained! Doesn’t help that I’ve spent the day watching films so no mental stimulation. Admittedly some films were better than others. Everything from Oliver! to Galaxy Quest to some really random film with Dwayne Johnson, a huge gorilla, a huge wolf and some lizard type thing.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Welcome to the January of 2019 thread!! I found myself posting on the January of 2016 thread after numerous failed attempts at sobriety. I was determined that I was going to commit for good, and today I am celebrating three years of sobriety.

This is a wonderful site for support. I checked in here daily, and read and posted, and I still do. I found in the beginning it was so important for me to have alternate avtitives for the time I would normally drink: walk, plans with my kids, journal, read, baths, binge on Netflix. I also found having alternate enjoyable drinks like sparkling water, and green tea helpful.

Right now stay focused on the moment, that is all you really need to worry about. I have really used mindfulness a lot the past few years. I can't change the past, and can't control the future, all I can control is the present moment. There are some wonderful apps, and you tube videos about mindfulness.

Use this thread often. I still check in with my January of 2016 crew often.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you. If you're here for the first time, welcome!! If you are returning, welcome back, and make this the time that sticks!!!

Sending lots of love and support.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:14 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Ok. After a horrible few days of withdrawals, I am sober and ready. This is the 3rd or 4th class I've joined in the past year. Let's try again.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:32 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to all of you who have decided that 2019 will be a year of recovery for you.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:35 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

In. Again.

Just moved to a new town and want to live differently. I'm excited about sobriety. Tired of very poor health and feeling bad. A little nervous of relentless cravings that for me come on around week 3. I need a plan.

Lets do this folks.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Sooooo.......now what do I do? Usually on a day off I’m six beers in at this point and can’t be arsed to do anything except play games on my phone. Today I have all this energy even after working around the house and 40 minutes on the treadmill.

I guess I could go make some soup for tomorrow.....
Old 01-01-2019, 04:51 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Originally Posted by Offthemast View Post
In. Again.

Just moved to a new town and want to live differently. I'm excited about sobriety. Tired of very poor health and feeling bad. A little nervous of relentless cravings that for me come on around week 3. I need a plan.

Lets do this folks.
@dee - don’t you have a thread somewhere about urge surfing? That would help Offthemast.

(Yes, I’ve been here before, under a different name. I wanted a fresh start so I made a new one.)
Old 01-01-2019, 04:56 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Stayed in for New Years and did not drink. It was hard early in the night, but after midnight got tired and it was easier. It was also really nice to wake up without a hangover.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:07 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you decided to post FoieGras, under what ever name

I usually wait a few days to post these but I can post them again later - two of the best threads out there IMO.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

welcome wastedlife & offthemast
D
Old 01-01-2019, 05:08 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I'm on board. Anything that might help. I did pretty well in 2018, but good isn't good enough with this disease. Best of luck to all.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:19 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome stinman

D
Old 01-01-2019, 05:30 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Just popping in to say hello and welcome back to some of my old friends here, Supersonic, Readyatlast, Red and in particular Strawberry and Just Tony. A massive welcome also to the class of January 2019 to the new members of S.R. I'm fairly new to sobriety myself, I'm from the class of April 2018 and just closing in on 8 months after several previous failed attempts. All I want to say is just don't ever give up, falling down isn't failing but staying down is. 8 short months have made such a difference to my life, my health and my happiness, it's been very hard at times, there have been times when I've almost been climbing the wall, but you just have to keep looking forward, never back, baby steps all the way. Take it an hour at a time if need be but just don't give up. You can do this.
Lots of love to you all. xxxxxxx
Old 01-01-2019, 05:31 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Thanks, Dee!
Old 01-01-2019, 07:50 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hi Daisybelle! Thanks for stopping by. You are such an encouraging soul.

Welcome back, JustTony. I need this place, too. I also threw away the month of December to bottles of wine. No more.

Hello to all the new friends and the ones I have "met" in other classes. I look forward to growing in sobriety with all of you.

Day 2 and got more done today than I have in 2 weeks. It's amazing how quickly my productivity comes back and the depressed feelings lift. I have to be careful though, because I can burn myself out early on and then I desire an escape/reward of some sort for all I accomplish. Wine can no longer be an option as a reward or escape. It has to be removed from the table for good.

No cravings today...thankfully. I'm super tired so I'm off to read my book and get some sleep. See you all tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:58 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I'm headed to bed sober. Goodnight all.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:20 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Goodnight
Old 01-01-2019, 08:51 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Hello & Welcome to everyone joining the January class of 2019!

Getting sober in January of 2016 was the BEST and ONLY New Year's resolution I've ever kept. SR and my Jannie class saved my life.

I wish this 2019 class all the best as you support one another. Lean on each other and listen to wise Dee. You can Do This!!
Old 01-01-2019, 09:28 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Day 2

No sleep. Feel miserable and worthless. And the anxiety, shakiness and general withdrawal symptoms are all there (again).

Began to notice some other worrying signs in December too. A lump in the palm of my hand (forget the name of the likely condition but it is made worse - or caused by - drinking). Bad pains in my midriff in the places you would expect from Dr Google associated with liver damage.

One wouldn’t think I had the brains I was born with?

Idiot.

JT
Old 01-01-2019, 09:41 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Quick check in.

Good to hear from some old friends, look forward to seeing you around.

Had pretty bad night sweats last night - yuk! But it’s an early sign of the healing process.

Mindfulness - my wife has been using this and from what snippets I’ve gleaned it could be a very useful tool, not just for recovery but life in general.

Plan today is start reading up on Mindfulness and start writing up my recovery plan.

Feeling really anxious but I know this will pass.