Notices

Class of January 2019 Part One

Old 01-01-2019, 10:05 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Happy New Year everyone

Class of January 2013 here. Six years ago was my last New Year's day being hungover.
I quit drinking on the 20th and joined SR and the class of January a few days later.

If I could do it, so can you. Stick close to SR and post and participate a lot. Listen to the feedback of people who have content long term sobriety (even if it pisses you off at times LOL) and don't drink no matter what. It will get easier, I promise.

Dee is very supportive of the new classes and give some very sage advice (Happy New Year Dee xxHUGSxx and thank you for all the help and support you gave me when I joined the January class, I don't know if I would have made it without you, SR and the mod team Anna, Opi, Ann et co. xxHUGSxx )

Lean on each other and don't be shy about sharing how you are feeling and what is going on with your classmates. You probably will be feeling a bit raw at first, small things right now might seem like insurmountable obstacles or very irritating etc.... basically, in early sobriety everything is a HUGE deal LOL.

Don't worry, it's normal. Your brains chemistry is readjusting and it takes a few months to level and re-balance ( I recommend you look into meditation if it interest you, mindfulness really helped me a LOT).

Wishing everyone a wonderful sober 2019 and congratulations on taking a first step to a new and healthy lifestyle. A few years from now, you will thank your old self for taking that decisive action to quit drinking/using

Last edited by Carlotta; 01-01-2019 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-01-2019, 10:41 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone and Happy New Year to all, back again!! on 20 days alcohol free, feeling positive need to do some exercise me thinks !! eating like a horse !!
Old 01-01-2019, 11:21 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
Happy new year everyone.. I've decided to pledge my allegiance to my personal freedom from the chains of booze and all the crap it brings. I am ready for 2019 to be the year of transformation and I can not do that with alcohol at my feet.. So bring on sobriety!
Hi Red. Come check in with the Augustonians when you have a chance. we've been missing you!
Old 01-01-2019, 12:25 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Count me in too. Lots of failed attempts, but I just revised my action plan and am committed to putting it into action!
Old 01-01-2019, 12:30 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I’m in! Desperately need this. I want to find myself again...the real me.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2019, 12:54 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Just checking in. No cravings today. I've been writing out a new plan to follow for the year.

Happy New Years to you all! This year will be amazing.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Count me in. Did six months this time two years ago, but the “I can handle one or two” syndrome caught up with me as one or two turned into six or eight. This time, my whole co-dependent family (there’s three of us living the dream) has vowed to quit. We shall see.

In the meantime, my name and avatar are there to remind me of the reason I quit two years ago and the condition of my liver.

Best of luck to everyone on this journey. I know I can do it. I know you can do it. We just have to, you know, do it. (Hey - someone should use that as a commercial slogan! oh, wait...)
Old 01-01-2019, 01:04 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Well, that was a long day. Still in pj’s and at 9pm no point changing that!! But so glad to be back. Speaking to the GP on Thursday about anxiety and depression. I am going to beat it this time.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:19 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Anyone else going back to work tomorrow and wishing they hadn't wasted the holiday boozing the whole time?

I feel and no doubt look awful. No booze today though so it's onwards and upwards from here.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:23 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm in as well. No messing around this time, this is the year.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:23 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I'm in too. Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2019, 01:30 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone! Count me in for the January class! I spent the majority of 2018 sober, was even sober for 8 months straight! Those were the best 8 months that I have had in a very long time. I lost a lot of weight, I looked better then ever, I landed a dream job and was even getting along better with the hubby. I swore I would never be stupid enough to touch alcohol again... and here I am. It started like with most, just a couple here and there next thing you know I spent the majority of December drinking. The shame and anger I feel with myself is immense but I am ready to start over and make 2019 the best year I’ve ever had!

For me, the first step is always coming here and joining a class. I can’t wait to get to know all of you!
Old 01-01-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 5upersonic View Post
Anyone else going back to work tomorrow and wishing they hadn't wasted the holiday boozing the whole time?

I feel and no doubt look awful. No booze today though so it's onwards and upwards from here.
Ugg I was just thinking this very same thing. What a waste of my whole vacation!
Old 01-01-2019, 02:08 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

I’m putting Christmas decorations away and sneezing from all the dust. Achoo!
Old 01-01-2019, 02:15 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

My cravings seem to come out of nowhere sometimes.
Maybe its a trigger I haven't categorized yet.
It almost feels like being bipolar when it happens.
Like two sides fighting each other.
I feel strong and 100 % dedicated and going about my day, sure of my sobriety, and then, bam!, out of nowhere this really strong craving hits,full of bs reasons why it would be ok to do it.

On day 6 today.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. Yes please for me. I have loads more experience this time round and a new plan. Ready to fight full on!
Old 01-01-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

A day and a half since my last drink, today was a bit tougher. I was more sensitive to noise and any little thing was setting me off. I knew it was just the withdrawal and managed to keep my tongue in check around others. Had a period where I was sweating while the house was cold. I was in shorts and a t-shirt while my GF was asking "aren't you cold"? It wore off a few hours later so I grabbed a light jacket like nothing ever happened.

My best friend today was me building a lego robot for a child. It took me several hours to get the (700) pieces in the right places but the constant putting the pieces together was a great distraction.

Moderate cravings, some anxiety and some irritability. Been drinking a ton of water and managed two decent-sized meals. I suppose it could be a lot worse.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:52 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hope everyone has had a good day. Not really day 1 today as I drank in the early hours. So tomorrow is day 1. It is another bank holiday here tomorrow so going to take down Xmas decs, clean up, read some books, get a walk. Keep busy and no drink.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:00 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Day 1

I'm in. I've spent almost the entire day in bed nursing another hangover wondering exactly where my Christmas break went to (well I do know - the bottom of tens and tens of bottles of wine).

I know a few of you in here and have shared classes with you - Red, Strawberry, QuitNow4, StartAnew, ReadyAt Last, Citrus, TimeToTry... to name but a few. Of course like a lot of "regulars" I am no stranger to Dee either.

After 50 days in Dec/Jan at the turn of last year, another sobriety stint in April, followed by 54 days in the August class, I swore I wasn't going to attend any more classes. But over the last month I've come to realise I need the support of friends on SR to help rationalise things through and share struggles. So yeah - this isn't altruistic in the slightest. I just need a bit of camaraderie.

I doubt I'll get any sleep tonight but I'll give it a go in a bit.

See you on Day 2.

JT
Old 01-01-2019, 03:09 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome StartAnew68 LoveDD 5upersonic carlingford PinnacleOR LLou2019 FoieGras and Leonidas

No shame in coming back as far as I see it - that mean you haven't given up

D