Notices

One Year & Over Part 65

Old 01-06-2019, 07:28 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sassy, you just brought a thought to my mind! Wouldn’t it be good if we could just peel layers off ourselves to get to our ‘right’ size, or add layers, as the case may be!
Old 01-06-2019, 04:34 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Suze,
I posted to Manz that she was being asked about here on her profile. Hey I PM'd you yesterday did you get it?

OK you young folks skip this part. It's for us who lived the 50s and 60s as preteens and teens. Kathy's illness and the recent deaths of four friends and our last parents, and this move have me reminiscing about the good old days of my own. I am often lately wondering if I were in Kathy's boat seeing where my life has been, and seeing the end draw nearer, I am continually amazed at how determined I was to chart my own course, and did. I know this is our last move save one last one each. Not maudlin, but if a book is to come out of me I have to get a grip, start exercising, diet, and write and organize our videos and collections for the kids and grand kids after we are gone. I am just in a nostalgia mode recently. Time to make every remaining day count whether decades or years remaining, the end is closer than the beginning in my life.

Sassy,
I hear ya. It took a lot of time to find what I wanted for those long posts, and write them. Glad y'all liked them. Did you ever read the lyrics to Billy Joel's song "Keeping the faith?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph7oZnBH05s It mentions shark skin jackets and Sen Sen among other things only late 50s early 60s kids would remember. Yes I smoked Lucky Strike unfiltered smokes rolled up in my white T-shirt left sleeve, with black chinos and pointy Cuban heeled Thom McAn shoes we called PFCs. That was my childhood pre-teens as I hung out with the older guys and even did the DA haircut. We were the Hoods and had clubs not gangs with jackets embroidered with the club name ( mine was The Strawberry Hill Saintsmen)
I hung out with the Billy Joel type crowd we called the hoods, and then became a Rah-Rah, now called Preppy, with tan Levis, desert boots, Bleeding Madras shirts and Henley collars like the Beach Boys. Then in "The Village" after age 16 I was a weekend hippy (head) and a Rah during the week. I dressed Mod and Carnaby street for a time then after the the Psychedelic era as well as the Led Zeppelin era, still bought albums Like "The Last Poets." I read a lot of Cohen, bought his first album and learned to sing play "Suzanne." Also listened to "Nico and the Velvet Underground" Shocked by Lou Reed's lyrics about drug abuse. They were later called the seminal most influential band in Alt rock history. But little known outside the Village and Warhol circles. I listened to "The Last Poets" first album and that prompted me to read "Soul On Ice." I was reading Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke, Bradbury, AE Van Vogt, Robert Silverberg, Anne McCaffery, Philip Jose Farmer, alongside of the German writers like Hermann Hesse, Franz Kafka, and German Sociologist and Economist Max Weber. In other words I read everything long before the Internet and Kindles. I have for many years read 1-5 books a week. Now we all have the Internet. Dylan said it best and it is perhaps more relevant today than when he first wrote "The Times They Are A Changing"
The Times They Are A-Changin'
Bob Dylan

Come gather 'round people wherever you roam,
And admit that the waters around you have grown,
And accept it that soon you'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'

Come writers and critics who prophecize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide,
The chance won't come again,
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'
For the loser now
Will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen,
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway,
Don't block the hall,
For he that' gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled,
There's a battle
Outside and it's ragin'
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land,
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command,
Your old road is rapidly agin',
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand

The line it is drawn,
The curse it is cast,
The slow one now will
Later be fast,
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is rapidly fadin'
And the first one now
Will later be last
Old 01-06-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  
Administrator

great to hear from you Manz and to hear all is going great for you - congratulations on everything

D
Old 01-06-2019, 10:55 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Hi All!

How lovely to be remembered.....and that some of you remembered my Weeman.

FBL you are right he is no longer wee, but he will ALWAYS be my Weeman no matter how big he gets.

Itch....thanks for your kind words previously and again. I'm happy with my choices and glad to be where I am.
My Weeman is about to turn 12, which still seems young in age terms....although at times he seems to have the wise head between the two of us. I frequently am reminded by him to watch my language when I'm cursing some crazy driver. 😂 (yes I am afflicted with some road rage tendencies)

Venus.....OMG and here I was thinking I was unique lol. That is actually so wonderful to hear....how fabulous you found love from this place. And made it work! Gives me hope.

Dee....thanks 😊 I'm glad to see you are still here. I hope you are as fit and well as can be!

It's kind of like returning home and sitting in and old comfy chair coming back here. I'm glad I popped in!

Wishing you all a fabulous 2019, walk lightly, be kind to yourself and others, and may your year be filled with all the things that bring you joy!

Xx
Old 01-06-2019, 11:23 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Hi Manz.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:07 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs,

Hi Manz

Have a good Monday xx
Old 01-07-2019, 12:18 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Backatcha Manz!

Remember us waiting in Unders for a couple of months after me? And all the fun we had in Chat? I had 8 years here October2018, and 8 years sober Sep 2018. Rusty Zipper is still on SR too along with Least and Former Beer Lover. I pretty much hang here on and off every few days until dear Kathy started her journey home from brain cancer. I miss her already.
It's really good to hear from you!
Old 01-07-2019, 03:24 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Mags, I absolutely love your idea of peeling off my extra “layers”

Itchy, I enjoy your reminiscing about the fifties and sixties! Similarities and differences for me but in any case you bring back so many memories. Living at the OFH I am periodically reminded that our lives don’t go on forever, at least in this plane of existence. At the same time, I am finally learning to live every day for whatever it may bring and I am finding that I can now manage blue days without going into a deep depression. Life is good.

Have a good Monday, Overs!
Old 01-07-2019, 03:33 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I used to be deathly afraid of death, but the day I watched my Dad pass away, something profoundly changed by attitude. Losing my dear friend Matt at the age of 60 also affected my outlook. I no longer dread the thought of death, as I now see it as a vital part of life. I've always marched to my own beat and seldom gave it a second thought. I've lived my life the way I've wanted and really have no regrets. I've seen too many people live by what they think society expects of them and they've been mostly miserable. Even my addiction was meant to be. Without it, I wouldn't have found so many wonderful friends here at SR and my other online fellowships. If more people lived by the golden rule, this world would be a much better place.

Have a Marvelous Monday, overs!
Old 01-07-2019, 10:59 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Just got a phone call from my brother. My Mom was rushed to the hospital this morning. She woke up this morning very confused and at first they suspected a stroke, but it looks like it's a urinary tract infection. The hospital is right across the street from the home, so they got her there quickly. Hopefully she'll make a full recovery. Just hard for me being so far away.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:14 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  
Magsie

Fbl, sorry to hear about your mum, hope she’s soon feeling better.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:35 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

hope your mum is ok FBL
Old 01-07-2019, 01:21 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Just talked to my brother and Mom is also dealing with a C Diff (colon) infection, which can be quite serious for someone her age. If she takes a turn for the worse, I can be there in a little over 5 hours. She's getting very good care. All we can do now is wait and hope for the best.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

I send my best vibrations and prayers to your mother and you FBL.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:20 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Best wishes FBL

badge
Old 01-07-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hoping for a complete recovery FBL

D
Old 01-07-2019, 06:04 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

FBL, sending my best for your mom’s recovery!
Old 01-07-2019, 11:20 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Best wishes for your Mom FBL.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:24 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Sending positive thoughts your way FBL
Old 01-08-2019, 02:16 AM
  # 360 (permalink)