Notices

One Year & Over Part 65

Old 01-05-2019, 03:34 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Welcome, Soberista!

Thanks, Itch! Casey was one of Record Research's very first customers. He remained one the rest of his life. I never talked to him personally, but his assistant would call to order every new book.

Can't remember if I posted this here before, but I made a little YouTube video discussing my lifelong passion with music and the charts:

Have a great weekend, overs!
Old 01-05-2019, 03:47 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Watching you Paul.

I listened to that too....all the way from America.
Also did my own charts for a while....but that's it.

I remember that year book.

Oh, this is awesome love....... xxxxx
Old 01-05-2019, 04:13 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Magsie

Fbl, I enjoyed your video, you certainly know your onions!
Old 01-05-2019, 04:14 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Re-Member

YW Dee! That took a lot longer than you'd think to find non advertising pics and specs. I DJ'd with the Soundcraftsman Pro Power 10 amp with 600 watts RMS into 8 ohms Stereo mode. 240 watts in 4 channel mode. All the pics of Pro power 10 Amos were for sale so I can't post the specs/pics pages.

Star,
That same power/quality costs more now. Look up Crown and Carver amps. However despite a $1000 price tag my system also used four 901s series IV driven by the Pro Power 10, with two Pioneer Elite single CD players, a Shure dual remote mic system, all in ABS SKB cases with aircraft aluminum 8 foot speaker stands.

We DJ'd professionally from 1983-2003 and it paid for my music/equipment in the first two years. I bought the best equipment and never had a gig failure, although I blew drivers occasionally, I had spares.

Here's a July 4 1994 gig in Germany with my wife, me, and son with his back to me:

Here's my last gig New Year's Eve 2003:

I had two great Elvis impersonators, one that sounded and looked like his twin brother. Ahh memories.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:22 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Magsie

Itchy, Great video of Elvis and pics of you and family.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:48 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Welcome, Soberista!

Ah, Itchy, you bring back memories! In my teens I lived in northern NJ just 1/2 hour from NYC. Spent time in the Village and shopping in Manhattan. I faithfully listened to Casey Casem, every Saturday morning I think it was (though my memory too often fails me).

Agreed Mags, I also never tire of not dealing with hangovers.

Have a super Saturday, Overs
Old 01-05-2019, 06:33 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Bet you were a fun DJ, Itch! I never did the "live" DJ thing, but I really loved doing radio.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:32 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Popping in to say good morning, happy saturday all! at work, hoping for an uneventful day. Yesterday my self absorbed co-worker let me know that she has not had any alcohol at all this year so far,, I told how much better I felt since I stopped etc etc,, she told me that because of the stress of our job she didn't think it would last but if she lost a few pounds it would be worth a dry January. I was not quite sure how to respond to that so I just went along with the conversation maybe it will stick.

Badge
Old 01-05-2019, 07:38 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Maybe it will make her more reliable badge so that she doesn't mess you around on shifts for a while.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:13 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Paul I was in edit mode and switched to TV then posted after you, and missed your post until just now. I am having to work on getting back to day shift as I have my days and nights reversed. Isn't that the same video you showed me before? I watched it anyway. I love your DJ pipes.

Mags,
Thanks! Heck of a difference 9 years makes in my hair color from age 42 to 51. The one in 1994 in the tent was July 4th and it was supposed to and did rain a gully-washer. Over there it can be cold in mid summer but usually nice. The tent was never used and had big holes in it and because rain was expected I set up wooden pallets for us to sit on and good thing. I also brought plastic and barely saved my electronics from getting wet. That last NY Eve party, as with the other ones I jumped up on the end of the bar and led the crowd in YMCA. We had wigs to do the Bohemian Rhapsody hair whipping on stage like Garth and Wayne did in their AMC Gremlin 1:47 into the Wayne's World clip:
My neck would be sore for days after a gig.

Sassy,
You're a Joisee Gihrl? I used to go down to Seaside Heights with friends a couple of times. And Cherry Hill to visit a cousin I had a crush on, and everyone in the family knew it. Remember this "Cousin Brucie, Coudin Brucie, COUSIN BRUCIE! Bruce Morrow on "77 WABC." https://www.bing.com/search?q=cousin...ZI&form=MOZLBR

Yeah, lots of memories of the 60s NYC, White Plains and Rye NY. I had fake ID and would drive there at 16 and drink then drive home. No seat belts or air bags in those days cruising 95 back and forth, and the toll booths were manned at the border of CT. Remember Allison Steele, the night bird? Remember the circle in the square and the chess tables poured in place concrete and the kids with guitars sitting all around the empty fountain pool. (I never remember seeing it full) THere's a new Amazon Prime show called "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" that takes place in one of those hole in the wall bars with open mics and stand up comedy. Awesome how they captured the conditions of the original hipsters, and the chipped paint everywhere.
Click this Sassy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QptZ...&start_radio=1 I always thought that was a Russian/Jewish folk sounding melody.

Paul,
I have the pipes too and did song intros, but I could watch the crowd, and drank with them except a few beers behind them. I did trivia quizzes with prizes and goofy games like lemon Croquet where guys would have to tuck all but one leg of panty hose in their pants with a lemon in it Four of them and they had to hit a lmon in front of them by swinging the lemon with their hips no using hands allowed. Thdere was a player and a blocker and they had no idea how hilarious they looked battling chest to chest and swinging their hips furiously to hit the lemon into the circle to win. I did name that tune/artist and did limbo contests and Twist contests among others. The clubs got really nice gifts for me to use free from the liquor and beer vendors. My wife was my assistant and talked/yelled taking requests and I always hired an assistant young guy from my unit (Cops) to do the heavy loading and set up and the reverse at the end of the night, and he was designated driver because I'd work hard and drink 10-12 beers and I didn't want to get stopped by my own base cops or Polezei friends. They'd let me slide if I was drivable which I was always anyway, I never drank and drove on more than two for real. See, screw hurting others, I might hurt me or my vehicle equipment if I made a mistake when a bit tipsy. I took care of the others on the road by taking care of number 1, not driving when drinking more than two or three over time.
I don't mind saying I was funny had jokes and patter and trivia and did a lot of mic work because I could get the crowd in the palm of my hand and keep em on the dance floor with great music and no distortion or hum from the equipment. I had Elvis impersonators too. And more! I do miss the stage some. But no way I am lugging all that equipment around or doing any more damage to my hearing.

Badge,
I think your staying out unless asked is the better path in those instances.

Suze,
Amen sister amen.

Got out and about today to wash my truck after the mud bath it got from the super saturated ground. and it nearly sinking in and getting stuck. It had been in the back carport for too long because of the pouring rain non-stop without starting it and apparently I left the radio on and the batteries were dead (they have two big ones.). It's a Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel long bed four door truck special edition. I was glad the batteries were fine but as soon as it dries up some I'll get out there and service them and clean the giant Battery terminals it has. I am selling it as well as my two year old 10' by 8' foot wide utility trailer. If I want another truck it will need to be a 4X4 in Colorado and we are going to have a tiny yard front and back and a little 20" battery powered electric lawn mower and a spare battery to go along with our battery 18v Ryobi weed eater. I won't need a riding mower and a push one will keep me out getting some sun.

Hope your weekend's going gangbusters and happy Overs.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:25 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Ohh Sassy I almost forgot, remember Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! at National speedway . . . click it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B2KDhinQFE
Old 01-05-2019, 10:12 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi overs

Itchy, great memories, I enjoyed them. You and your SH had a blast. Oh, hubby’s hair went from black to white so quickly too, I get the blame for that!, but like yourself, both colours suit him.

Still dark here at just gone 6am on Sunday morning.

Hope you have a good Sunday my friends
Old 01-05-2019, 10:40 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Enjoyed your video, FBL- good to connect a face to the words.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:38 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Have a good Sunday everyone.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:11 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Over the years, so many friends and family have asked me how I got into my line of work, so now I just direct them to the video.

Itch, I would've loved to have seen you work a crowd. I was always a little too introverted for that kind of scene. I felt much safer hiding in a studio and not seeing my audience. Thanks for sharing.

Have a Super Sunday, overs!

PS: My new avi is a photo of me that appeared in the local newspaper, circa 1990. I was outside, calling a high school baseball game for my radio station.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:19 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Hi All 😊

It's been an age since I stopped by, and yet it is lovely to see familiar names still going strong!

I received a birthday email from SR and it drew me to coming and saying Hi!

Itch.... thanks for your kind words, funnily enough I wasn't the only kiwi on the boards, but I can't remember the one other I knew of!

Just a quick update.... 15 Jan will be my 8th birthday here! Wow

I'm doing great. I completed my social work degree, was hired by the government almost immediately (although I made them wait as I needed a rest and time with my boy after the hard work of full time study and working!) and after 2 years am earning more than I was in my last career as an Optician. More importantly though.....I get to meet some great kids and keep em safe and see them flourish.

My boy is just wonderful, he is growing to be a fine, funny and kind guy, and so I am the luckiest of Mums.

We have a great home with plenty of space outside for football (soccer) and gardens, including vegetables! I even have two flushing toilets bahaha.....which seems a strange thing to remark on, however, we lived in a converted barn with a semi composting toilet while I studied.....so small luxuries

I love a wonderful man and we are exploring possibilities! I don't know if this has happened on SR before....but we met on here at the very beginning of my journey. It seems unbelievable......but after almost a 5 year gap we reconnected....and the rest is history. An SR love story 😍 I'll let ya know how that pans out.

Anyway, as always.... too much babble from me! It's great to see you all doing well.

Love & light to All xxxx
Old 01-06-2019, 03:24 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Manz! Thanks for stopping by. We've missed you and stories of your "wee man" (although sounds like he's not so "wee" anymore). So glad to hear you're doing well.

Please don't be a stranger. You're always welcome here!
Old 01-06-2019, 04:36 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Manz,
I knew you would be fine, you've learned your strength and chose your priorities once you'd been sober only a bit. How old is wee man now. Suze/Venuscat from Oz did meet her hubbie here and they married and live in the US which to hear Suze tell it, is ws cold as the arctic circle. .

Thanks Mags.
We did it all together. Oh the stories we have.

Paul,
My job entailed teaching basic training classes of ~ 100 trainees, and run firing lines. Extra duties were developing and teaching mentorship to the base, and Quality designed for the military. I had to teach and give orders to everyone from the General on down. Duties also consist of friendship and camaraderie with French and German military. Hosting dignitaries like the Secretary of defense and put on firepower demos with humor thrown in. I called it infotainment before they did it on TV. Like shooting an M-16 on full auto off my chin, and spitting out white dry navy beans I covertly put in my mouth. In the medics I taught hospital infection control and Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical training like how to put on protective gear and how to approach a burning aircraft to save casualties. Pretty fun and diverse. I coached competitive shooting teams, and held competitions on my ranges where I had from 7-150 on my staff at the end, and managing 1000acres of ranges, supervising the equipment and personnel to cut the grass and maintain ranges, accounting for and managing our munitions and armories we needed for our bullets and weapons.
See, I was good at writing my outlines and doing the research. So my commanders always asked me to represent the squadron when they needed my fields of expertise. So I spent my whole life in front of crowds and I was good because I cared, and prepared good lesson plans aimed at the level of learning and the audience needs. People get hurt in training but we never had a weapon incident on my watch. I had fun, did everything in hospitals, then spent my last 20 of 27 years, armed, and made loud noises and blew things up. My job blew off stress daily. I had to be qualified on every weapon I taught including the Barret .50 cal sniper rifle, MA Deuce .50 cal mg. Best of all, being the both human and kind, never had to go into combat, or harm another human. Only had to draw a few times never had to shoot. I would but wouldn't want to live with that.
6:30am. Haven't been to bed. Gotta get my days and nights turned back around.
Nite, or morning all!
Old 01-06-2019, 04:37 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Manz View Post
Hi All 😊

It's been an age since I stopped by, and yet it is lovely to see familiar names still going strong!

I received a birthday email from SR and it drew me to coming and saying Hi!

Itch.... thanks for your kind words, funnily enough I wasn't the only kiwi on the boards, but I can't remember the one other I knew of!

Just a quick update.... 15 Jan will be my 8th birthday here! Wow

I'm doing great. I completed my social work degree, was hired by the government almost immediately (although I made them wait as I needed a rest and time with my boy after the hard work of full time study and working!) and after 2 years am earning more than I was in my last career as an Optician. More importantly though.....I get to meet some great kids and keep em safe and see them flourish.

My boy is just wonderful, he is growing to be a fine, funny and kind guy, and so I am the luckiest of Mums.

We have a great home with plenty of space outside for football (soccer) and gardens, including vegetables! I even have two flushing toilets bahaha.....which seems a strange thing to remark on, however, we lived in a converted barn with a semi composting toilet while I studied.....so small luxuries

I love a wonderful man and we are exploring possibilities! I don't know if this has happened on SR before....but we met on here at the very beginning of my journey. It seems unbelievable......but after almost a 5 year gap we reconnected....and the rest is history. An SR love story 😍 I'll let ya know how that pans out.

Anyway, as always.... too much babble from me! It's great to see you all doing well.

Love & light to All xxxx
Hello dear Manz!!!!

How awesome to hear from you and are you psychic? Itchy mentioned you less than a week ago.

So so happy for your amazing new career and life.....it is all so wonderful, including the loos honey.....I grew up in Phillip Island without proper toilets.

And, err, yes....it has most definitely happened before......do you remember Goat from here? Well he is now my husband. And I live in America now, which is cold. Hmm.

Love to all of the amazing Overs.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:45 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Oh gosh, I could spend all morning writing this but need to get showered and dressed to go to our lovely Sunday brunch.

Itchy, omg, I forgot about Cousin Brucie! Thanks for the videos - reminders of carefree youth! Although I grew up in New Jersey, it was in the northwest area of the state where we didn’t hear “Joisee” . We did, however, seem to have at least one mob family in many towns!

Manz, sounds like your life has progressed wonderfully

Suze, IMO, it gets too hot in summer. I can always add layers when cold but there is a limit to the number of layers I can peel off when hot

Hi to alland have a lovely Sunday.