Notices

Class of August 2018 Part 7

Old 10-30-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Support threads are about support and advice - It was posts like yours that helped get me sober and stay that way Ayers.

Mike I probably think too much too - and it's not necessarily a bad thing. I love thinking.

The problem was I thought thinking was action with regard to addiction and its
not.

Unless you can physically stay sober you're not going to get far with thinking, however brilliant it is.

Bob I suffered from low self esteem too - I think a lot of us do.

Joining a group like this actually helped me turn that around. I found I gave pretty good advice....I knew what to do, even if back then I couldn't follow my own directions too well.

I know you've been a little ambivalent about SR & whether its good for you so I won't suggest that more posting is the answer for you - but I still reckon making sober contacts, wherever you make them, can't help but make that self esteem grow a little

D
Old 10-30-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. And glad to share day 10 with you Darkling. Does anyone else here have diabetes?
Old 10-30-2018, 05:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ayers I'm not offended by any advice you gave, nor your thoughts on my situation, quite the opposite..
Old 10-30-2018, 05:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Home for the day. Felt an urge creeping up as I was leaving work but, again, just played the tape forward and just the thought of waking up feeling like death was more than enough to just ignore it.

Unless you can physically stay sober you're not going to get far with thinking, however brilliant it is.
Makes perfect sense Dee. I’m happy to say that today, at least in terms of my drinking, I did not do too much thinking. In fact, I didn’t think about alcohol that much at all today, which felt rather refreshing.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad today was a win mns!

D
Old 10-30-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good for you Mike.

Need to get to bed. Maybe I can sleep things away. Tomorrow is another day.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Thanks bobdrop hope you get a good night’s sleep.

As for me, I bought some tea today that’s supposed to help with sleep. So gonna give that a go and see if it helps.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm here again finishing up Monday as others are about to start Tuesday . . . .I suppose it is a bit weird to think of time this way. We all move around on our bit of planet as the whole thing spins.

A very quiet day but did a couple of things I'm pleased with: knit a length of edging lace. It is something I wanted to do for awhile and it didn't take me too long to figure out.

Also I started putting together an ofrenda for All Saints Day. An ofrenda is really a Mexican tradition but as there have been several significant deaths in the last 6 months, it feels appropriate to do it.

Here is wishing strength to Mike to get through the cravings. Healing for Bob and his self esteem and diabetes. Wisdom for Red in dealing with family.

And for the rest of us may a gift bottle and a craving never arrive at the exact same moment!!!
Old 10-30-2018, 08:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hello Friends,
Well, it looks like I have quite a bit of catching up to do. These days it's hard for me to get alone on my computer which I prefer to check SR on.

It's 10:00 PM my time and I'm in my bed on day 5 feeling a lot more like a normal human being again. I've been extremely tired, but I know that is my body healing. I also have picked up my running again (slowly but surely) and it is helping me feel better. No real cravings....still hating the stuff!

Well done to all of you who have made it another day sober. This life stuff is hard! I'm ready to face it and stop numbing everything away in a bottle (really 2) of wine.

I must get to bed since a workman is coming to do some repairs at 7 AM...Yikes. That is early, but I'll be up, drinking my coffee, and enjoying the peace of the morning without a hangover.

I hope to be able to read more tomorrow. Thank you all for being there.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:57 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I know exactly what is meant by “being sick and tired of being sick and tired”! That’s why I stopped drinking. My functional alcoholism was becoming dysfunctional for sure. Alcohol was beating me up in every which way. I was afraid of what my future would inevitably bring. I was afraid to quit too ....afraid of withdrawal ( as Ayers described). I made it through with symptoms that were a little scary, but no seizure, no DT’s...I guess that’s what I feared most.

I know for sure that I cannot stop at one or two drinks (tried so many times). I tell myself that thats just the way it is. There’s no sense in me trying to figure out how to drink normally because in that regard, I know that I am not normal.

In a way sobriety feels like surrender for me. I gave up alcohol when it was getting the best of me....I stopped trying to “manage” it. The only power that I’ve ever had over alcohol was in giving it up. And so, when I say no to a drink, I like to imagine myself flexing my muscles and I like how empowering that is.

We have a nice group still here. Curious to know how ALL are doing.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Day 3.

So the tea didn’t seem to help, because I barely slept. But I am realizing that maybe I need to not sleep in my bed for several nights. Last night I tossed and turned without a wink for about 3 hours before just going downstairs and lying on my couch. I instantly felt less tense and eventually did drift off for a bit. So it seems maybe I have just come to associate my bed with poor sleep and racing thoughts. So I’m going to stay out of my bedroom for a few days and try to reset myself.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:48 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Happy Halloween everyone! I'm giving out candy tonight in our downtown, so it will be a sober holiday for me. I'll be dressed as my favorite football player, The Gronk! (And yes, I'm actually a woman … but I'll be a 260 pound, 6'5" football player for a few hours tonight!)

This has been a very honest series of postings from everyone. Some tough times out there, but I'm so happy you are all here and still working on this. You are all in my thoughts.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:39 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 11 here. Feeling better today. I'm going to wait until a little later today to try and explain my ramblings the last few days. Haven't figured anything out, but it may help to type out the explanation.

Barbs???
Old 10-31-2018, 06:51 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.

I have been dealing with a bit of a medical scare. Fortunately, my biopsy results just came back negative My thoughts immediately went to Odaatcat. I hope she knows she is in so many of our thoughts and prayers. Anyway, I am still sober, so all else is good.

Bekind, thank you again for tracking all of us. Have you made any new plans for the weekend yet?

Red, my heart goes out to you. I really hope you can put your own personal happiness and wellbeing first.

Ayers, I just want to thank you for not being able to keep your advice (solicited or otherwise) to yourself. I find it so honest and caring and yet right on point. The advice you give to others helps all of us. So again, thank you!

Same goes for you Dee, many, many thanks for all of your invaluable advice.

Mike, your courage and determination is inspiring. I know you will get this. Thanks for staying with us.

Bob, congratulations on 11 days I know the depression can be tough in the early days. I hope it lifts soon. I have pre-diabetes but my dad had diabetes for many years and my mom was diagnosed with it last year. Both of them tried to control it with diet alone. My mom is having some success with that but my dad eventually ended up taking metformin. I think my mom has been more successful because she exercises three times a week. My dad didn’t believe in exercise How are you doing controlling yours?

Suze, I’m always so happy to see you post. I hope life slows down a little for you so you can smell the roses (btw, tapeworms are gross lol)

Zoey and Suze, my fellow New Englanders. There is quite a celebration in town today for the Boston Red Sox, World Series Champs!!! I am glad I don’t have to go into town today for any court sessions, it will be crazy there. Now, let’s go Pats!!!

Alice, I hope you’re doing well. Thinking of you.

Karen, I am so sorry you are struggling. I hope joining the November group with give you the additional support you need. I am grateful you will be staying with us Augustonians too

Startingover, so glad you came back. I hope the head fog clears soon.

Quit, so glad you are getting some ground under your feet. Hang in there, you’re really doing great.

Bonnie, congratulations on 100 days or now 101, 102? You are such an inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

Darkling, sorry you’re feeling down, but glad to see your post

David, so glad that your move went smoothly and a new job too. Congratulations. You sound great.

Kit, I hope you are able to find some help. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated on how you are doing.

Sweetpeacan, Doubledee, Hills, and everyone else, hope you are doing well. Thinking of you all.

Okay, my puppies are truly out of control now, I must go and tame them I hope everyone has a great day.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:47 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I love how Bob called out to Barb and she responded . . . hmm . . .too bad we can't put an electronic beeb or vibrate to call in Augustonians who we haven't heard from in awhile.

Another day of not very glamorous tasks for me . . .

May you all have a lovely Halloween!
Old 10-31-2018, 10:18 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

hi guys and girls.

Wednesday evening

Shoot I hate my office work - anyway it's done, and then I immediately treated myself with chocolate and my garden. Only came inside now - it's dark outside. Walking like a geriatric. It's time for those tiny, shortlegged stools our grannies used to sit on while weeding - or the ladies in Victorian times ....

I don't have time now, but will catch you all later or tomorrow am.

Just wanted to say I've read all your posts and pleased to see everyone is on track. Just waiting to hear from Kit. Wonderr how her appointments went?

And Barbs : I am so glad to hear that your medical scare was just a scare. You are very strong to have gone through with it without mentioning it here. One strong lady !!

I believe it's Halloween in USA now, we don't celebrate it in SA. But it always looks like fun - the dress-up and knocking on doors and sweeties. Enjoy!!

To all of you hanging in there- keep it up, up, up !! And those who are finding it difficult, please know you are not alone. Stay strong and fight with all your might.

Later . (Haha - that's so American , isn't it? I never say that - but it's such a "lekker" thing to say . And pronounced like you do : Laydur ...
Old 10-31-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Oh, forgot, wanted to say , I don't hit the "thanks" button anymore . Although I read every single post every day/
Hope it's not seen as bad manners in SR? Dee?
Old 10-31-2018, 11:43 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you Barbs. I'm going to answer your questions, it is the majority of what's had me so down lately. Low self esteem was not really the right term. I read another book on diabetes and diet. This doctor very much believed in Dr. Atkins, but put a different slant on it for diabetics rather than just losing weight. This book advocated for controlling diabetes 100% through diet. Said taking drugs to make up for all the carbs most people eat was not a good solution. This doctor said no more than 5 carbs per meal and 5 more for snack or dessert. That means the end of bread, pasta, etc. for life. Oh, and here's the kicker, what if you fail and eat cake or something like that. It said just jump right back on. Sound familiar? Now I have to worry about relapsing on 2 fronts? And guess what holiday is up next in November? I know this book is not the gospel, but it sure was eye opening. You know how we've all felt during a bad hangover, that maybe death didn't sound that bad? Now I'm not suicidal, but that's kinda how I've felt. I've had a good life and thinking about the end game certainly goes through your mind when you start thinking about the things you might have to torture yourself with. So anyway, it's really had me down and desperate to find a way forward that I'm going to enjoy. Thanks for listening.

I'll be happier the next time I post
Old 10-31-2018, 12:43 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Barbs, so glad to hear the tests results were ok. I still very much think of ODAAT.

Bob, I don't have diabetes (yet) but your words captured something I have been feeling, on and off for a long time-

"You know how we've all felt during a bad hangover, that maybe death didn't sound that bad? Now I'm not suicidal, but that's kinda how I've felt. I've had a good life and thinking about the end game certainly goes through your mind when you start thinking about the things you might have to torture yourself with."

There are so many things I need to address about my lifestyle besides drinking that at times it feels that I must have died unknown to myself and gone to purgatory......

Anyway, I will try to be grateful for being sober today. Thats something.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:28 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Bob, I understand how you feel. I gave up bread, pasta and potato three years ago. When I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes, I gave up sugar and drastically reduced my carbs and that was on top of alcohol. What was I going to have for a treat? My mother told me I was going overboard and needed to moderate. Moderate is a dirty word to me…I have a difficult time moderating anything, lol. Anyway, I have decided that I need to find a balance with my diet, exercise and feeling good (leveling out my blood sugar). I really do think that exercise is an important part of all of it. It also helps with depression and anxiety. Do you belong to a gym? If not, maybe try going for a brisk walk or a bike ride in beautiful Florida I personally really enjoy working out first thing in the morning.