Notices

Class of August 2018 Part 7

Old 10-31-2018, 02:07 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Barbs View Post
I really do think that exercise is an important part of all of it. It also helps with depression and anxiety..
Some say that exercise is a much smaller part than diet but I've also heard that if you eat after exercising, you tend to make better choices. It does help me with my depression . . .it is just so ding dang dad blasted difficult to get off the couch..

The straight and narrow is so darn tough but Iike the idea (Dee or Suze's or boths) of getting clean and healthy and then thinking about it.

I had a meeting with a social worker this morning in the school system here. I'm involved with a foundation that helps financially. I'm trying to hook the local Catholic Church in with hurting kids and families in the schools. It makes me feel powerful to do this; i'm not sure this is a good thing.

Doing good in this world is a dicey business. Lots of hell produced by good intentions. I may be better off getting sober, watching movies and knitting lace . . . hmm . . .with a bit of exercise thrown in. Well I've don the knitting and lace bit.

Now for a bit of exercise and staying away from the joy juice . . .at least for the immediate future.

Sleep well Ayers and hope evening is going well for the Brit Bunch.

I will check in later with a report on whatever I got off the couch for!!
Old 10-31-2018, 03:26 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think it's bad manners not to thank - I usually do in threads like these to mark where I'm up to, but I appreciate every post really

Welcome back Barb

I'm not diabetic Bob but I've skirted around the edges a little - losing weight, exercise and diet (eating more healthy food, less junk) did the trick for me.

D
Old 10-31-2018, 04:07 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I hope you all know that when I post about my sobriety and my thoughts, I am doing it in hopes it helps. I am by no means an expert nor am I so sober that all of my words are gospel.

Bob, I am not a diabetic, but both of my parents and my brother are. I put myself on a low carb diet to loose weight because I cant seem to loose it any other way. While I am not diabetic as per my lab work, I do think I have some insulin resistance. A low carb diet is hard in the beginning, but you get used to it. Ive done diabetic diets in the past as well. They’re easier than low carb, but there’s a lot of label reading to do. You can start of by cutting out the obvious - sweets, desserts, sugared drinks. Cut your portion sizes of pasta, potato, bread and up the vegetables. Once you get that down, start cutting out pasta potato, bread a couple times a week and progress as you need to. Walking 20mins each day can provide benefit as well. A doctor friend tells the patients to walk their dog everyday even if they dont have one!

Good for you Mike!

Glad you’re OK Barbs....wish we could hear from Oddaacat too.

Darkling, life is daunting isn’t it? Whenever I’m overwhelmed, I pick the problems that will have the biggest impact on my life (like drinking) and those of immediate concern (like drinking . The other problems then are easier in comparison. Sometimes my plans have to change, but achievement is a positive thing no matter how big or small or when it comes. Change is like a snowball on a hill - once it gets rolling ,you can’t stop it!

I really like hearing from all - always there for you!
Old 10-31-2018, 08:01 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Here I am as promised reporting on exercise . . . . not much . . . 3 min of running. Then I stopped and walked someone else's dog for 15 min. I have a bad knee so running not a great idea but I try it now and then. I also did 5 min of yoga. I'm trying to set a low bar for exercise. Feel free to set a lower one or outdo me . . .doesn't matter as long as you are up. Extra points if you get outside.

Like Dee, I thank everyone to keep track of where I am. It has to be pretty bad for me not to hit "thanks" . . . like maybe someone arguing for their own suicide. Yeah. then I don't hit thanks.

Keep on all.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:03 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Wrapping up another day, and it was a really good one. Got a lot done today and then spent the evening with my family. We had so much fun just being together. I love the genuine laughter I can have when I'm sober. We try to have a family night at least once a week where we let each child choose the topic or game we will focus on for the night. My daughter reminded me tonight that we've postponed her game 2 weeks now since I wasn't in the mood. Sadly, I wasn't. I was either more interested in being alone with my wine or escaping to a movie by myself. The wine was really isolating me from my family.

I'm back though and feeling very optimistic about sober life. I've said that before though, so I remain guarded and will be ready to fight those cravings when they hit.

I also try to eat low carb. My 40 something body doesn't seem to burn those carbs anymore! Even with running...Ugh. I do feel much better when I cut out the flour, sugar, and chips, but during this initial recovery period, I'm allowing myself a few treats at the end of the day.

So good to hear from you Barbs. How are you, Karen? Thinking of you.

Thinking of all of you as I put my head to rest. I love sober sleep and I love waking up without a hangover! What a gift.

Love to all and good night.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:08 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Good job, Bekind! Sounds like great progress to me. I think it's smart to start off low...much easier to go up that way. I tend to start off too high and burn out way too quickly which leaves me frustrated

Slow and steady is the name of the game!
Old 11-01-2018, 03:16 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Barbs-Glad to hear that you navigated through your medical issues to a good outcome. I wouldn't want to turn this class into a food class, so do you mind if I pm you with some food questions?

BeKind-Good for you on your exercise efforts. My motivation seems to be lacking, especially when there are gout flare-ups, but I am a mall walker when the opportunity is there. One lap is 1/2 mile and I do 2-4 laps when I go.

Darkling-I'm looking forward to reaching 2 weeks in a couple of days. Hope you are too.

Thanks to all for the comments on diabetes. I guess part of the truth is, if I lived by myself, it really wouldn't be that bad. I could make the best of it. But, I have a 16 year old living here, and my wife, which is weird because she's had diabetes for 16 years now and doesn't seem to put much effort into it and she's doing great. I don't know. Once again, genetics I guess.

I am on day 12 now. Big weekend coming up. Gator alumni band weekend. Rehearsals, party's, and performing at the game on Saturday. Always a big drinking time, but it seems as though more and more of our friends that are our age have really cut back or stopped. Funny how that works. Graduated from UF 35 years ago.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 11-01-2018, 04:37 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Day 1 again.

I used not being able to sleep as an excuse to drink last night. Regretting it today. I should have known better I just barely slept the night before and just wanted to fall asleep. I guess I need to just accept that enduring poor sleep is part of early recovery.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:41 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah it is.
It took me around 10 days to go from no sleep back to full sleep, Mike.

I had to keep my eyes on the middle distance, y'know?

D
Old 11-01-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Mike, I’m at one week today and last night I finally had pretty solid sleep. I know there have been lots of natural recommendations, but I’ll add one more. Calms Forte by Hyland. I get it at Walgreens or Fruitful Yield if you have those by you. I take 3 before bed, read a book for awhile and that seems to do itfor me. I only have to do this about 3 nights before my body gets back to natural sleep patterns.

Do whatever it takes. I really hear it in you that you don’t want to be a drinker anymore(you had posed that question to yourself in an earlier post). I don’t either. It’s hard work, but way better than feeling like absolute crud all the time. That’s what I’m reminding myself each early day here.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:17 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Thank you for the recommendation Quit. I think I am going to just tough it out. I’ve already been cutting off my caffeine consumption after 1 PM to help keep me not so wired in the evenings.

It’s just frustrating because I’ll be at work and the last few hours of the day I’ll be yawning as I’m working with clients, but then as soon as I get home I’m suddenly not tired and yawning anymore. It’s almost infuriating.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Mike, I found trazodone to be a miracle. It helps you have a real restful night of sleep without the morning after fuzzies.

Barb - so glad your tests came back well.

Karen, how are you doing?

Well, yesterday I finally did it. I went to the gym. Spent 20 minutes on the elliptical and did a leg workout. I'd like to gain some muscle tone. Muscles burn more calories than fat. It was actually really lovely at the gym. It's one of the top-rated gyms in the US and very beautiful.

Woke up early this morning and taught my class. Now I'm preparing to make some cinnamon buns with my love.

No desire to drink, grateful for my life. Sobriety is such a blessing.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:24 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Apologies I have not posted for two weeks , this has been due to a number of reasons - mainly due to half term holidays being busy at work , power failure at home .

So I had a failure. After all the hard work I picked up a drink last weekend. No one pressured me - I was out for with my family meeting an old friend and his. I just suddenly wanted a drink and ordered one. Unfortunately I then also had a few drinks Monday , Wednesday and tonight. So I feel like a failure.

I am starting again tomorrow om day 1 , having thrown away 70 days. Nothing changes though .....when I drink all I want is the next drink and there is no real enjoyment. I start again

Best to all
Old 11-01-2018, 12:48 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I just have time for a quick check-in. It's been a great day for me today. Heading out to my last therapy session and feeling good about it

Bob, of course you can pm anytime

Quit, it's so good to hear how well you are doing. You sound so happy, Congratulations.

Alice, congratulations on getting to the gym! Sounds like you did just enough of a workout to burn off those cinnamon buns lol.

timetotry, it's good to hear from you. Sorry you stumbled. You sound just like I did when I, out of nowhere, just had a drink and then it just snowballs from there. Glad you're back and starting again

Mike, man...I know you can do this...you know you can do this...I have to say, I am in awe that you still have it in you to keep coming back. For that, I am very proud of you for
Old 11-01-2018, 12:48 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hello Augustonians. Thursday evening , quite late for me 9:30

Oh, how I miss Tony whenever I use our group name. I wish I knew how he is doing. I wonder if he ever reads our thread ? Do you think he misses us even a teeny weeny bit as much as we miss him?

I am responding to many posts back – things and people I didn’t respond to – sorry, sometimes when I start writing I only remember things after posting , you know how it goes.

I am very excited , my daughter is coming home tomorrow for the weekend – I haven’t seen her in nearly 2 months. Bringing 3 friends who are also going to stay over, so lots of cooking to be done.

Kit, how are you doing? What happened at UNITY ? Are you positive about it? I really hope that it is going to make a difference and give you the help you so deserve.

Quit , Darkling and Bob , you are doing great , so glad to hear about every single day you are adding.. Cheers to you ( got a cup of great coffee !)
Quit, I’m really chuffed for you ( and you used the term 100% correctly !) 😉 You really seem on top of it! Doing well and such a positive attitude. Love it.

Bob, even though you have low self esteem now , at the moment, please know that I hold you in high regard. You come across as a man with lots of integrity and a wonderful loving nature. Don’t bash yourself – you are great and doing the best you can right now.

Darkling : hope your mood has lifted somewhat ? Give yourself some TLC – you deserve it. I remember so well how you supported me when I first joined. So I’m standing on the side , rooting for you .

Red , Mike – holding thumbs for you .You CAN do this. Red, have you sorted out the problem with your sister? Are your nieces coming to your house this weekend?

Hills , where are you ? Sweetpeacan – still going strong?

Karen – you’ve been in my thoughts so much. How are you doing ? Have you joined the Nov class yet? Please stay in touch here and tell us how you are? Did you make it to the AA class?
StartingOver- – how are you holding up?

Matrac – I’m so sorry , you asked if I was feeling better a while ago , and I never responded. Thanks for asking – and yes, it seems the anti-flams worked, but I’ve now stopped taking them – will see how it goes . I’m not going to take them for another whole week like the dr prescribed.
I loved what you wrote: “My functional alcoholism was becoming dysfunctional for sure. “ That was me to a tee.
And this !!! “The only power that I’ve ever had over alcohol was in giving it up.” So well put. You really have a way with words.

Suze- busy bee …. How did the cocktail party pan out – I’m sure and confident you aced it ?

Bekind- funny how I saw you as a very structured, organised person – though you say you live an unstructured life. You also always seem so busy – usually helping others – an angel in human form . Blessings to you. I’ll be googling the Ofendra you mentioned- never heard of it before. See , this is such an educational journey . Isn’t it wonderful ?
And no, don’t give up on the good work you’re doing . I get what you say about “…all hell, produced by good intention” – had my fair share of that, but don’t stop … I don’t think you’ll be able to any way – it’s who you are , a caretaker and -giver .
Oh, may I please have my extra points for getting outside and doing some heavy gardening? Because I’m getting none for gym, running, yoga, kick-boxing or anything else ☹

Alice – so glad one of us made it to the gym – good for you !! I know I should take the plunge and just nike it …. Well, anyway , proud of you,girl ! And yes, wouldn’t it be fun if we could garden together in Texas?? Whoop-de-doo , think we’ll have a blast!!

Zoey ; How was your evening giving out candy and dressed as a football player ? 😊 Sounds like lots of fun to me

Barbs and everyone else who tried to make me feel a bit better after I felt I was too honest – thank you so much for not being offended. I shouldn’t really have been too worried with you lot – you are a very special open minded group of people , it is what drew me to this class in the first place. And I can only hope that you will give me your honest opinions and advice – solicited or not – when you feel you need to.

Nearly time to get to bed. So goodnight all you honeybunches. Lots of love and kind thoughts. You are such special people.

Please keep carrying the torch . (Isn’t there a Bob Dylan song …? “I’m carrying a torch for you …” ?)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

TimetoTry - just read your post as I was posting. Sorry friend. Bummer, but ... as you say " start again". You are not a failure. Getting up after falling is not failing. It is resilience and dedication and hope and immense strength in character . It's hard work and tears and bashing yourself up. You are not a failure . Hugs to you .
Old 11-01-2018, 01:11 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Thank you Ayers. I hope you have a lovely time with your daughter and her friends. It is a gift to be sober for her. You sound so content. I am truly happy for you.
I so miss Tony too. I hope he is ok.

Mike, stay with us. No matter what.

With you on day 12 Bob. I am committed to getting through this weekend sober.
Strength to you all.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:52 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back timetotry - I don;t think anyone ever unlearns or undoes everything they did or learn during their sober time.

You've faltered but you can get back

Mike if you want to go the meds route do speak with your Doctor - we can share our experience here but what might have worked for others may not work or even be suitable for you.

D
Old 11-01-2018, 04:12 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Thanks guys.

Dee I have tried meds in the past. They worked at first but eventually just started to make me restless. I feel like I’ve tried everything.

I’m just going to grind it out and let my body reset naturally.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:13 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah thats what I did mns

D
Old 11-01-2018, 06:19 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hi all, I wrote a nice thoughtful post this morning and then got kicked off line. and lost it . . . ok, maybe it wasn't quite so thoughtful as I would like it to be but I am still here finishing off my zillionth bottle of tonic water.

Quiet day. Meditated this morning and then set up the Ofrenda for All Saints Day. I prayed an entire rosary which I don't usually do. It was made a bit easier with the company of my aunt's Schnauzer. Also this I Learned: there are extra macho rosaries with 7 decades in them that some Franciscan started 500 years ago. I did not know they existed. Now I know.

This probably doesn't contribute much to our group sobriety but with the recent deaths in my community, it felt good to honor them.

Mike I'm wishing you strength to get through the night.

Bob, having gout makes you sound like some kind of English Aristocrat . . . .also sounds super painful. Ugh.

Timetotry, so very glad you came back . . . .

Hills? Sweet pecan?