Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #7

Old 08-27-2018, 10:05 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

I'm glad for both of you.

I'm finally getting my hands dirty on a long-procrastinated project. I feel so good now that I'm finally in the midst of it! I can't turn back now!

I hope you get a lively bunch of young skulls full of mush this year, Cour!
Old 08-27-2018, 10:27 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

I hope you get a lively bunch of young skulls full of mush this year, Cour!

Sounds like the residents I deal with daily,,,,,

badge
Old 08-28-2018, 05:54 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

My temperament was challenged by two people today.

They tend to be people who think that they and their way are the most wonderful things on the planet.

i don't mind most confident people--but for some reason these two people just really, really grate on me, and I was unable to avoid them today.

One is that weird woman I've mentioned before in this thread--she's the one with whom I continually feel compelled to prove my extreme worth.

If it were just about feeling worthwhile, there would be no problem. There are lots of people in the world who are more talented than I am at all kinds of things--and even at the things I'm supposed to be best at.

I don't mind if she's led ladies' Bible studies for nine years. I have utterly no talent for facilitating or leading meetings. I don't covet it!

It just occurred to me what bothers me, not just about this woman, but about the other: THEY EXPECT PEOPLE TO FAWN ALL OVER THEM!

I seem to have been getting a good deal of affection and compliments lately, but OH, GOD, PLEASE tell me I'm not like that!

I'm not fishing for compliments here either: "Oh, no, Kathy! You never fish for compliments," because I do, and I can be shameless! !

And please don't tell me I'm good. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I know I'm good enough.

But I hope NOBODY ever thinks I expect them to fawn all over me!

Not that i don't bask in fawning, but I don't NEED it--and I certainly don't want to seem praiseworthy at the expense of other people, by implying that my way of doing things is superior to theirs by default.

These two women really seem to think they're great--and they seem to really expect all comers to fawn!

Let's just say that I'm stingy with my fawning! Maybe a little too stingy--but for me you have to earn it.

I can engage in mutually complimentary social pleasantries that aren't really substantial and mean them as much as anything else: but for whatever reason, these women aren't activating my fawn reflex.

The question is, how to shed them? i already interact with them as little as possible.

Sometimes, though, when I'm feeling extra cheery I'll go out of my way to say hi and how's it going. Because they like all others deserve to be treated well. I figure I should strike when the iron's hot as far as benevolence goes!

But when push comes to shove, is what I'm really doing wise or even truly kind?

Why do I feel that I have to throw these people a bone of my "largesse?" WHAT FRICKIN' LARGESSE? WHO THE HELL AM I?

I'm just nobody and so are they.

I'll be kind, but I won't initiate other private contact.

The problem is that the biggest culprit is the only older lady in my church. She recently moved here from the other coast, and she has latched onto me as her "new best girlfriend."

I don't initiate much, because I know that, whether she herself is toxic or not, she certainly brings out all the secret toxicity in me.

My mind reels with caustic wisecracks at every turn. Usually I wouldn't characterize myself as mean, but I feel extremely mean in the presence of these two people.

i don't like meanness. i don't want to be mean. Thank God I can usually keep it zipped.

I had one or two subtle slips today, but hopefully I shucked and jived fast enough so she didn't get hurt.

One bright note: she was originally scheduled to come to my house at 1. She asked if she could delay, because she had to get her car inspected. I said sure. My place was still somewhat messy, so i was hurrying to clean it, and a delay let me relax a bit.

So once i let down my guard she showd up fifteen minutes EARLY, at 12:45!

I said, "You're early." I did not smile.

"Yes!" (sheepish grin) "I hope that's not a problem."

I did not respond.

Hopefully that will give her the message.

Boy, can I rant.

Something is really off-kilter with me if i can spew out so much vitriol in one post!

So sorry.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:03 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi Kathy,

Maybe what's off kilter is that this lady is coming to your house (presumably with your permission as it was planned) when your intention is to have as little to do with her as possible?

Maybe you need to tighten up your boundaries. ??
You've no obligation to be "nice" to everyone; at least not to the extent of welcoming them into your safe space.

xo
O
Old 08-28-2018, 06:36 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

First off, welcome, O!

You are absolutely right. I was the one who invited her to my house.

I keep wondering if there might be a reason I'm being put on her path. Maybe I will grow by interacting with her. Maybe I have lessons in tolerance I need to learn (by the way, I'm failing! :-O).

Who knows how I'm going to feel in a few months? Maybe I need practice at being patient and gracious when people are really crawling on my nerves!

Probably not, though. I'm sure today has troubles of its own--no sense worrying about how i will or will not have the grace to act tomorrow.

I've got to hope that my 58 years have instilled something good that will be sufficient for whatever is required of me. But there is no need to assume burdens now for things that may not ever be required of me!

Bottom line: I shouldn't have invited her today, true. Point well taken.

But today notwithstanding, she and the other one are still stuck like gum to the bottom of my shoe.

I will pray that I will recognize opportunities to NOT act! Or develop gentle methods to actively discourage, if need be.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:32 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Rant away, Kathy! Setting boundaries is something that I've gotten pretty good at in recovery. I don't suffer fools gladly and it seems like most people can sense it. I'll exchange pleasantries if necessary, but if you start becoming a pest, I'll walk away with no regrets. Guess that's part of the reason I've been single my whole life.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

I've been praying about it.

This morning a light bulb popped on in my head: a great insight into what makes her tick. It is not any sense of competition or one-upmanship; rather, she is just very simple and full of pep and platitudes.

She is supremely content to be full of pep and platitudes. And she's enthusiastic: with no motive but joy, she's a wholehearted pusher of pep and platitudes.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Now that I understand what I'm dealing with, I will be much less "threatened."

I still won't choose to cultivate a deeper friendship--and she may still bug me--but she will no longer deeply disturb my equilibrium.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

oooh Kathy can I join you on the rant train??? Husband and I are carpooling to work today,,,, hurray we do not have to leave the house till 6:15 or so. He sets his alarm for 4 am!! WHY!!! all he does is make coffee and watch news!! AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!! He doesnt get why I am pissed,,,,

better now,,,,, carry on

badge
Old 08-29-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Ugh!!!!!
Old 08-29-2018, 07:25 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  
p***enger

Kathy, those 2 broads sound hopelessly obtuse and disrespectful of you, -- through ignorant carelessness or ego?

When I run into someone's strong expectations about my "right" response , I tend to offer them the opposite. Glad-handers in particular get my back up!

But not as much as 4 a.m. rising! Badger, have you tried putting a pillow over his face and holding down?

FBL, you sound like the kind of guy of a certain age who would, if he wanted, make a perfect mate for a grown woman with good sense.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:28 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
a grown woman with good sense.
Let me know if such a wonderful creature exists!
Old 08-30-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  
p***enger

This is the first week of classes for me -- I taught Tues and Wed nights, 2.5 hours the first & 3.5 hours last night. 7 hours teaching with 1 10-minute break.

It's exhausting! One of the classes is like a seminar, with 10 students. Managing an 11-person discussion is hard work -- like being in a game where you have multiple opponents, & they can team up against you, or you can team with any of them, and the teams are fluid, and you're all supposed to have created something -- you're not sure what, and they have even less information -- by the time the whistle blows. Tweet, bow, disperse.

It's brought up vividly some of the ways I drank.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Sounds fascinating, though!
Old 08-30-2018, 10:25 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post

It's brought up vividly some of the ways I drank.
Is the name of that drinking game, Chaos? If so, I played the fooling myself that I'm managing version, then, graduated to unmanaged, then finally...the totally out of control upgrade.

Hope all are well. Life's good here...really good!
Old 08-30-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by IWLSAST View Post
Life's good here...really good!
Glad to hear it
Old 08-30-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

I'm glad, too, Carlos! May the compatibility continue!
Old 08-30-2018, 11:51 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Good to see everyone hear rising above life's challenges and dealing with them in our relatively new found sober ways. Today will mark working eleven of the past twelve days. Running on fumes and strong coffee. Kids are back in school already so we have new drama playing out here.

Be well everyone!
Old 08-31-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Courage, thank you for helping me put things in perspective. All your classes and I am stressed over 2 trainees! One just graduated, flew the coup so to speak, the other has a few more weeks of remedial stuff. I have not worked with him a whole lot, very academic, over thinker in a less think more react type of job. Challenge accepted!!

badge
Old 08-31-2018, 07:59 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by badgerden View Post
All your classes and I am stressed over 2 trainees!
Don't take me seriously badger -- I've got nothing to stress about, just was feeling vivid the other night. In your profession if your trainees don't learn, real chaos can ensue. Whereas in mine, the stakes are very low.

Stargazer you have it bad all around! Why so many work days in a row?
Old 09-01-2018, 03:23 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I'm off to yet another card show later this morning. I've started several sets now, so I can pick and choose which ones to go after today.

Have a great weekend, gang!