Notices

24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 394

Old 06-28-2018, 07:46 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
Hi Sunflower!
I'm presuming you've decided not to go?
I wouldn't go if it were me. That kind of party is just way out of my comfort zones and it sounds like alcohol will be just everywhere with no escape.
I'm assuming it's your method of declining the invitation that is stressing you out?
If it's a surprise party and your friend doesn't know about it then your main contact is the husband yes? I would call him back and make a big deal of the boys and be very apologetic but you daren't leave them. Then explain properly to your friend once the party is over.
If your friend knows about the party then you can call her and tell her exactly what you've explained to us. Absolutely no shame in that and I'm sure she will completely understand. You and your friend can perhaps have a nice special day out together instead.
Safety first dear.
I honestly think they will be very sweet about it ❤❤❤
Thank Jo- I have no plans on going and we already have a tradition of spending one on one time for each other's birthdays anyway. I actually don't know if it's a surprise (he didn't mention that) or if she just asked him to plan her a party?? I'm guessing it's the latter and that she probably already assumes we won't come.
I just don't know how to text back with a "no." He is working so I'm not going to call him, but am not sure how to respond via text. Do I just say it's because we don't leave the boys with anyone at night or do I mention the drinking thing??
This stuff just makes me feel like something is wrong with me. Like we aren't normal because we don't go out and do social stuff at night. I mean I took a class that ended at 10:30 but other than that I have no desire to be out and about past 8 pm. Doesn't that make me sound old and prude? And why do I care so much what others think? Why do I care about fitting in and being like everyone else? I am overwhelmed it seems.

His wife just invited us out for the 4th of July to a celebration that starts at 8 pm. No way! While they do that stuff regularly (and keep the kids up until 11 sometimes) it just doesn't work for us.

Thank you sweetie...
Old 06-28-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

24 more please
Babs
Old 06-28-2018, 08:15 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Hi Sunflowerlife, I'd send this ....

Hi (insert name), thank you so much for the invitation, it sounds like you have a wonderful evening planned! Unfortunately we won't be able to be there because our little one needs us to get him to bed (pesky kids!!) but we look forward to catching up with all of you soon. Can't wait to hear about the party! Lots of love, SFL xx

Don't feel guilty, tell the truth, keep it bright & breezy and arrange to see them at a time that suits you. Proper friends always understand xxx

Hope everyone is OK. 24 more for me please xxxx
Old 06-28-2018, 08:17 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
I need some advice please.

One of my besties is turning 40 in August. She knows I don't go out and drink, she's knows about my recovery and has been very supportive. Well her husband sent me a text this morning inviting me and my husband to her Birthday Cruise- on a Friday night in August.

"We're going to get together and take one of those harbor cruises with dinner and drinks...and maybe some dancing (if we drink enough).."

I don't know how to respond to this. I'm surprised that he doesn't know I don't drink (but I respect the fact that she never shared that with him.) For starters, we have never had anyone put the boys to bed. Our youngest is 3 and while they also have a 3 year old who spends the night many times at her parent's house, my parents have never done that and I'm not sure my youngest is ready for it (very attached to me still.)

Secondly and most obviously, I don't want to go out at night and be around drinkers. I don't do that stuff anymore, I haven't gone out for a late night since I had kids honestly and especially since getting sober 13 months ago. I know some people can still live that kind of lifestyle and just not drink but it doesn't appeal to me.

I don't know how to say "no" in a text message.
I know that his wife will understand because she knows me well enough and knows I don't go out for these types of things.

I guess I just don't know how to respond in these situations. Any advice? I'm not good with wording as I tend to overthink these things. Thanks guys...
First of all huge hugs.

My feelings....if it was me....I would call him.
I would let him know how glad you are that they want you with them, but you don't drink anymore and aren't comfortable being around alcohol.....I would imagine he will completely understand.....I would suggest an alternative for the four of you on another day to celebrate your friend's 40th.....perhaps you could offer to take them out for a lovely lunch or buy a ballooning trip for the four of you.....that would be awesome.

But that's me......I am comfortable telling people I don't drink and do not like to be around it....especially in a situation like a boat where I am trapped. I don't tell them that part.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:18 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Tried to call you jojo.....maybe you are still at work. ♥♥
Old 06-28-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post

June 28, 2018

All of us ~ for another day sober!!

Bump!
Old 06-28-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Three cheers!!!!

❤️❤️

For all of us!!!

Three cheers for over 60 years of sobriety!!!

❤️❤️

Go us!!
Old 06-28-2018, 09:00 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kenton View Post

Hi (insert name), thank you so much for the invitation, it sounds like you have a wonderful evening planned! Unfortunately we won't be able to be there because our little one needs us to get him to bed (pesky kids!!) but we look forward to catching up with all of you soon. Can't wait to hear about the party! Lots of love, SFL xx

Don't feel guilty, tell the truth, keep it bright & breezy and arrange to see them at a time that suits you. Proper friends always understand xxx

Thank you Kenton - I guess I feel weird about using kids an excuse because they have 2 boys the exact same age but they go out all the time (even weekends) and leave them overnight with her parents. We just don't have the same routine/sense of comfort with my parents and our boys as they do. I fear they will judge us for that. But who cares, right?
Old 06-28-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

First of all huge hugs.

I would let him know how glad you are that they want you with them, but you don't drink anymore and aren't comfortable being around alcohol.....I would imagine he will completely understand.....I would suggest an alternative for the four of you on another day to celebrate your friend's 40th.....perhaps you could offer to take them out for a lovely lunch or buy a ballooning trip for the four of you.....that would be awesome.

But that's me......I am comfortable telling people I don't drink and do not like to be around it....especially in a situation like a boat where I am trapped. I don't tell them that part.

Thanks so much Suze- I kind of want to be open about it too but I've never talked to him on the phone before (I know that sounds weird.) I will keep thinking about how to do this through text unless I muster up the courage. I'm a wuss, aren't I? And why!!
Love you
Old 06-28-2018, 09:18 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Here’s to all of us!!!!
Old 06-28-2018, 09:21 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bandicoot2 View Post
(((Jo)))
(((Babs)))
Drinking husband here too.
I sure wish he had what we all have. With that said, 24 more for me please!

Congratulations to everyone celebrating a Milestone!!
Hugs, peace, strength and love to all....xxxx
(((bandi)). (((JoJo)) (((Babs))j
Old 06-28-2018, 09:24 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcutah1 View Post
Had to concentrate to make it past lunch without going to the store. Could not believe that I was trying to convince myself that having a "nip" at lunch was acceptable. Remembering what everyone here says when others are in a similar situation, Don't Do IT. And I did not. I will have some more of that sweet 24.
Well done, Marcutah!
Old 06-28-2018, 09:24 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

1124 in for 24 more
Old 06-28-2018, 09:26 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
24 more
Bought all the art supplies needed for my course. No more supermarket grade poster paints. They are graded on pigment..very traditional approach to drawing, painting, sculpture..which is what I need..structure, discipline and learnin'.
Support to all.
I am so thrilled for you, PJ.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kris47 View Post
24 more please, Dear God.

My days are a bit of a challenge right now.

I hold you all close in my heart.
You are held so very close to ours, dearest Kris!
Old 06-28-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kenton View Post

Fantastic!!!!
Old 06-28-2018, 09:36 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

First of all huge hugs.

Fantastic, too!
Old 06-28-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

I just remembered that my parents will be overseas at that time so if I really want to use the excuse of not having anyone to watch the kids, I have it! I will talk to Nick tonight and see what he says. He always comes up with better responses than me- I overthink everything!!

Thank you for your help friends...
Old 06-28-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kris47 View Post
24 more please, Dear God.

My days are a bit of a challenge right now.

I hold you all close in my heart.
Thinking of you Kris, today and always...hope the challenges lift soon for you...
Old 06-28-2018, 10:10 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Kris47 and others struggling

Substitute she/he if appropriate here—

I’m sharing my morning coffee with you all

Free