Notices

24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 390

Old 06-13-2018, 07:32 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

YCD It is not easy, but it is worth it. I have relapsed too many times to count but I always come back to sobriety, so this time I have decided not to leave it in the first place. I am helped by the fact that I did something really really stupid last time I drank and now I am scared of what drink does to me. I am filled with regret but in a way (as AA says) I am right where I am supposed to be.

So glad you didn't succumb to the booze yesterday, don't beat yourself up over the one small drink you had. Glad you can talk to your husband. Stay strong, stay around here. Sending you love and blessings.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:07 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinky1 View Post
Hi all.
Day 10 for me
I'm off work and home alone all day so hope I can stay strong. Got a few things to keep me busy.
24 hours please x
Double digits!!!!
Old 06-13-2018, 08:13 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Afternoon all! Just having a little post before dinner making duties. The sun has returned for a while which is lovely.
Apparently I'm on food revision duties tonight. That's one of Hannah's exam options. I may learn something you never know!
Lots to do as per usual but all is good and I'm pretty content. Lots of love to everyone. 24 please! ❤❤❤
Old 06-13-2018, 08:33 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

PRAYERS AND SUPPORT TO ALL

There is an old fable..that when Genghis Khan was young and fighting with his 2 brothers, his mother got each of them to break an arrow to show how weak it was. The she got each of them to try and break a bundle of arrows- all tied together. They could not break them. She explained to her sons- united- as brothers they are strong and nothing could break them, but alone- they can fail.

As it is with the support we give, and get from others at this place.

Support to y'all.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Hi anyone talk to snufkin worry about her..

Being sleeping lots ,I really don’t know what to do when I don’t work ,don’t like housecleaning anymore before it was my excuse for drinking.......
Last Sunday I was irritable, discontent,an a s s h o l e. This roller coaster eh!!!

24 more for me the crazy guy ..
Old 06-13-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
PRAYERS AND SUPPORT TO ALL

There is an old fable..that when Genghis Khan was young and fighting with his 2 brothers, his mother got each of them to break an arrow to show how weak it was. The she got each of them to try and break a bundle of arrows- all tied together. They could not break them. She explained to her sons- united- as brothers they are strong and nothing could break them, but alone- they can fail.

As it is with the support we give, and get from others at this place.

Support to y'all.
very well put
Old 06-13-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kenton View Post
Hey YCDT2, sorry to hear about the argument with your mum. I know you've had lots of superb advice but I wanted to respond to you because I've just spent the last 3 hours learning about anger at my mindfulness course. Anger was always my number 1 trigger and so I was keen to learn as much about it as possible. I found this info quite interesting. ....

Anger has a purpose. It alerts us to the fact that something isn't right.... a boundary has been crossed. But anger doesn't appear in isolation - it's covering other 'softer' emotions such as fear, hurt, sadness, frustration, panic, humiliation, irritation etc. And these softer emotions have arisen because one of our needs isn't being met. We all have emotional needs. ... eg to be loved... respected... heard...valued...accepted...treated fairly etc.

When we react in anger to the person who is not meeting our emotional need, that person will become defensive. The irony of anger is that no matter how angry we become. .. we will never address the source of our anger and get our needs met. Instead, we will become more and more angry which can result in unhelpful behaviours and if the anger hangs around long enough it turns into resentment and bitterness .... more triggers.

To release the anger we need to notice when we're angry and then explore the anger before reacting. What's causing the anger? Are we frightened? Irritated? Disappointed? Do we have a need for respect? Do we need to feel heard? Accepted? Loved? Once we identify the true source of anger, it can become much easier to handle. We can explain how we're feeling in a non-confrontational way. The other person may not want to listen and that's OK. We got no control over other people. The crucial thing is that by identifying the real reason we're angry we can comfort ourselves and let the anger go. Thus breaking the anger/trigger/regret/shame/anger/trigger cycle.

I just learnt all this tonight so I need to go and put it all into practise. Good thing about this world is that we never need to wait very long until someone makes us angry! So I reckon I can start practising what I learnt very soon. And that's why I wanted to post this. People are always going to push our buttons and make us angry .... so if anger is a trigger, it's helpful to try to learn how to better manage that anger.

Hope everyone is OK. I'm up very late and need to go to bed but wanted to ask for my next 24 hours before I fall asleep. And Jo, let me know if you want me to meet you for a coffee when you're in London. I won't want to intrude on your family time but I can come and say hello and point out Big Ben and ..... yeah, that's probably my level of expertise. Love to everyone xxxx
This is brilliant, kenton; thank you.

An abundance of love to you.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kris47 View Post
(You are reading from the book Twenty Four Hours a Day)

A.A. Thought for the Day

Keeping sober is the most important thing in my life. The most important decision I ever made was my decision to give up drinking. I am convinced that my whole life depends on not taking that first drink. Nothing in the world is as important to me as my own sobriety. Everything I have, my whole life, depends on that one thing. Can I afford ever to forget this, even for one minute?

Meditation for the Day

I will discipline myself. I will do this disciplining now. I will turn out all useless thoughts. I know that the goodness of my life is a necessary foundation for its usefulness. I will welcome this training, for without it, God cannot give me His power. I believe that this power is a mighty power when it is used in the right way.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may face and accept whatever discipline is necessary. I pray that I may be fit to receive God's power in my life.

(From Twenty-Four Hours a Day © 1975 by Hazelden Foundation. PO Box 176, Center City, MN 55012)
More brilliance; thank you, Kris.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:54 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Another 24 for me please!

Congrats to those celebrating a milestone and prayers to those struggling or suffering in any way. xo
Old 06-13-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post

June 13, 2018

Plenny ~ 1 week!
abcowboy ~ 3 years & 5 months!

Bump!!!
Old 06-13-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Three cheers!!!

❤️❤️

Plenny & abcowboy

Congratulations!!!

Old 06-13-2018, 09:07 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Time to Celebrate our Milestoners!!

Congratulations!!!

Enjoy, all.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:08 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by erfra7 View Post
Hi anyone talk to snufkin worry about her..

Being sleeping lots ,I really don’t know what to do when I don’t work ,don’t like housecleaning anymore before it was my excuse for drinking.......
Last Sunday I was irritable, discontent,an a s s h o l e. This roller coaster eh!!!

24 more for me the crazy guy ..
One of the lovely people on this thread is in contact with her....so let's just keep prayers and love up and hopefully she will come back soon!! ♥♥

Some days I am not that nice either love....and sometimes I get out of sorts and don't know what I want to do with the day....it's OK....we are human....and it's progress not perfection right?
Huge hugs xx
Old 06-13-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
I'm here on day 6, feeling like it's soooooo much longer. Probably because once the first horrible few days are over I feel so much different as if I've had a long time to heal. But, it's early days for sure.

I know there's folks out there feeling frustrated and angry and I want to contribute something that I have learned -- and often forget -- about guilt and disappointment. These feelings come from expectation and from the conditioning we receive about perfection. Within the context of trying to get better and skirting the edge sometimes of our sanity we are all succeeding. In the real universe there are no lines, no boundaries, so to deviate at times is completely, literally, natural. We as humans often punish ourselves for our nature. The feelings of guilt really make the work we are doing harder, and then there is just more work to do, undoing guilt. Please let's forgive ourselves, make an inner dialogue with ourselves of love and forgiveness. Instead of perpetuating all the negative talk and judgement, which only steers our brains and beings in those negative spirals. Let's not subscribe to them and let's counteract with messages of acceptance and the bravery to use these deviations as important learning experiences....

A friend of mine posted his 5 year chip today. He said, "5 years. The most psychedelic experience of my life." That's the kind of journey I want to forge
More brilliance; thank you, Plenny

Your friend’s statement is fantastic.

And!!!

on your milestone, Plenny.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:18 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Yixi View Post
Morning good folks Hope you all have a peaceful, sober next 12+ days, (not planning on falling off the wagon just off on jollies tomorrow so won't be posting for a few days after today), stay strong & stay wonderful 24 for me please - love and hugs to all at SR x x
Safe travels, Yixi. Have a great time,
Old 06-13-2018, 09:19 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
24 for me please.

I've come down with some horrible bug and may not be around much but still sober!

Love you all xxx
Feel better, dear Gabe. Try and get as much rest as you can.

Love and hugs.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:20 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Happy Wednesday! I'm working from home today (every Wednesday) and being super productive on my breaks. Gotta love a sober mind and body.

Day 10 today and still feeling great! Checking in for 24 more hours of peace and sobriety.

Back to work...

12:20 PM June 13th
Old 06-13-2018, 09:29 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
(((lyddie))) ♥♥♥

With you all day love.
Thanks for the love! I did go back to sleep and I didn't wake until almost 9 am - an unusually late time for me. I have felt surrounded by death the past few days - a former co-worker died unexpectedly late last week and Tony Bourdain's suicide affected me. For me, the L in HALT is Loss not Loneliness. Those two emotions although both can be overwhelmingly sad are different for me. And I have recently realized that Loss is more of a trigger than Loneliness.

Well - now that I am awake, its time to find some joy in the day. (( hugs )) to everyone.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:41 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
9pm here, just going to bed on 31 days! Longest in years! Yippee 😊😊😊 night night everyone
Well done, Willow!
Old 06-13-2018, 09:42 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Love.....I so hear you.

And I know how upset people are about Tony Bourdain....gosh, I had never even heard of him and I feel devastated.

I wonder if you and Kris ever talk....it seems that you both have been through so much of the same things....just thinking.....love you so much.....thinking of you.