Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #6

Old 03-31-2018, 09:44 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
p***enger

Deliza, your pains sound super bad! You should get yourself checked out, especially with those swollen lymph nodes. Better to rule out anything serious than to ignore it.

Me, I mostly need physical therapy. If I ever get around to scheduling it, I'm going to ask for neck traction. Has anyone ever had traction? I did once, and it's awesommmmmmmeee!

Last night I sang the first verse of "O Sacred Head Now Wounded" to my husband, standing on the corner of 1st Avenue & 63rd Street. What did the other people on the sidewalk think?
Old 03-31-2018, 01:02 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

The long run of hockey tryouts has come to an end & my kids have pretty much chosen where they are going to play next season. We are still waiting on one more set of results.

It’s been nice for the past day to have the opportunity to put my feet up, do what I want to do, and do things at my own pace.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:19 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I’m glad the tryouts are over and you can finally put your feet up, Glee!

That is my favorite hymn, Courage. I’ll bet it was beautiful and it probably induced a moment of solemnity in those who had any cultural reference whatsoever.

I’ve been singing it quietly in my car.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:42 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
IThat is my favorite hymn, Courage.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:53 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
p***enger

How about O Perfect Life of Love?

When I was a little kid, our church had a very traditional tenebrae service on Good Friday. At each station of the cross, a candle was extinguished and there was prayer and song. Near the end, in total darkness, from the balcony a single member of the children's chorus sang Behold the Lamb of God a cappella (music by Paul Bouman -- it took me forever to track that down!), and then another sang the fifth verse of O Perfect Life of Love, also a cappella. My sister did it one year. I was asked to do it one year but I didn't have the self-confidence

Happy Easter, everyone!
Old 03-31-2018, 07:19 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Wow! How cool!

I bet it would have been lovely (or else they wouldn’t have asked you).
Old 04-01-2018, 12:41 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Frikken hell my dog just freaked out any my cat hissidng on the back of my chair and i just lost a stupid goddm long frikken post something is going on of cours ie wouldgo on yonihy
Old 04-01-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

What a drag, Del!

Hope the day improves!
Old 04-01-2018, 07:34 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

There's 2 kids in my bed, 1 dog and 1 cat. I grabbed the edge of the bed for awhile then slept at my desk.

Apparently there is a good sale on today, 0% off. I think I will do some online shopping.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:28 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Courage - Sorry work has been a challenge. I think it’s great that you are being reflective about how you are handling the challenges as a sober person. It strikes me, as well, from time to time how differently I approach things sober, as well a show different my perspective can be.

There is this woman who made my husbands and my life crazy at hockey 5-6 years ago. She’s gone from the association, however when our paths cross from time to time, it drives me crazy. This spring both of her kids are playing in a pick up league with both of my kids. Yesterday as I was watching her at my son’s game it occurred to me that maybe just maybe she wasn’t acting like an extra b because I was around; maybe she’s always that way.

Haha, might not sound peaceful at first description, but, for me, realizing that maybe my perspective is inaccurate is nothing short of miraculous. In fact as the thought crossed my mind I sensed it was providing a special lesson for me.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Well, the screaming hordes have come and mostly gone. There are just two moms and two toddlers left, and they’re perfectly content and quiet in the playroom.

I was under the impression that the sponsors of this little funfest were planning to clean up!

Oops! Apparently not!

Well, it did turn out to be a lot more overwhelming than I think they had expected. The kids of various ages had to find plastic eggs in the yard, and then trade them in with the adults for prizes.

Most of the guests’ kids were just fine.

My 7-y-o granddaughter, however, was the greediest, most disrespectful and demanding poor sport I’ve ever seen in my life! She was yelling at adults that they weren’t fair (they were more than fair), and yelling at clueless 2-y-olds to get in the back of the line!

Her parents were inside mingling with guests; I’m sure it never occurred to them that a 7-y-o would snatch eggs out of little kids’ hands!

I corrected her gently but in full earshot of the beleaguered adults to be less selfish and that it wasn’t about the prizes, but about little kids having a fun time. She ignored me.

So I took her aside in the house afterward and told her that she had behaved extremely selfishly. She started to walk away, and I added, “In fact, you were downright bratty!”

She asked, “What did you say?”

“I said you were bratty!”

She burst into tears and ran off. A few minutes later I told her I was sorry for hurting her feelings, but she took off in a huff!

I was absolutely right to call her out, and I did try the gentle approach first—so I just sat down.

Later she poked her head in where I was, made 1/2 second of eye contact—then whirled away and stomped off in a huff!

She did this again, much to the merriment of my other son in law.

Did I mention “drama queen?”

Did I mention I’d rather watch 15 boys any day than one girl?

I apprised her parents of the situation, assuring them that I wouldn’t have made a big deal of it unless the behavior was really, really bad.

They understood completely.

She kept popping her head in, but I didn’t make eye contact.

Finally they left. She carried on when her mom told her it was time to go home, too!

This will all blow over in a couple of days, but I still feel a bit bad.

I’m not going to deal with this mess tonight.

I’m pretty wiped. I think I’ll go to bed early.

By the way, I got all the notes done from the first friendship book. This week (especially tomorrow) I’m looking forward to making inroads on the second one. This one should be the really useful one.

There will be six women at the retreat: five plus me. For my segment, I plan to keep the teaching short and sweet and open it up for lots of discussion.

And if things fall flat, we can always play cards!

Glee, any news on your son’s tryout?
Edit: we cross posted! I’m pleased to hear that you’re realizing that you are not the root of every interpersonal problem—sometimes people are just “that way.”

How are you doing, JL?

Are you still out there, Carlos?
Old 04-01-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

By the way, I’m not such a big martyr: there’s a pretty good chance my husband will tackle at least part of the mess tonight. He usually crams as much as he can into the dishwasher after an event, and I take over in the morning.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:32 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
p***enger

Glee, yes, other people trundle along oblivious to us. The worst thing is when people keep on thinking after they're out of my sight -- sometimes they even think for themselves while I'm watching them! Why can't we just have puppets???

I'm annoying myself. There's a paper I'm trying to wrap up. Ages ago I put in a lot of placeholder prose from other things I've written, pending data analyses. Then I forgot I'd done it. Now the analyses are finally complete, and I thought finishing up was just a matter of creating some tables. Turns out, no -- I have an entire lit review to revise and adjust

Gilmer, you had an opposite day. Full of humanity! It sounds kind of lovely, mess, drama and all.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:12 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I always enjoy these things more than I think I will.

I’m sorry you had the end in sight and had to go back!
Old 04-03-2018, 03:21 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Still waiting for the printer to ship the books. I keep finding some things I missed. Nothing really huge, but it doesn't help my anxiety. I just didn't have the time to go thru everything like I normally do. I just hope the huge amount of info will keep most readers happy.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:43 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I hope everyone has a smoother sailing day today!
Old 04-03-2018, 08:55 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
p***enger

FBL, I'll bet it gives your readers a *huge charge* to find something you left out or (gasp) got wrong! People love to get the better of the experts. You should start a readers' area on your company's website kind of like 'where's waldo' -- people who find an omission or mistake get their due recognition
Old 04-03-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
FBL, I'll bet it gives your readers a *huge charge* to find something you left out or (gasp) got wrong! People love to get the better of the experts. You should start a readers' area on your company's website kind of like 'where's waldo' -- people who find an omission or mistake get their due recognition
It's funny, when I was a customer I used to send in corrections periodically. Now, I'm on the other end. I sometimes wish I could send the readers a list of all the things I DO catch during the editing process. Sometimes the software has a mind of its own.

The books are supposed to ship this afternoon, so in a couple of days I'll finally get to see the finished product. Wish me luck!
Old 04-03-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Good luck!
Old 04-03-2018, 04:20 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Got a lot to do in 2 days. Feel overwhelmed.

I’ve got to finish this excellent book I’m reading for the retreat and take a million notes. Then I’ve got to pore over it and come up with a theme for my talk, picking out only the most critical points.

For my papers I used to take days to do this, and I was only dealing with a chapter or a couple pages in each book.

The book is great, so I’m obliged to take a lot of notes.

Plus I got a call from the eye hospital today: my bottom-of-the-barrel insurance provider has DROPPED them altogether!

So my trip to Philly is cancelled.

They do allow out of network coverage at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, though. I confirmed that tonight.

Tomorrow I will have to 1) cancel my Philly appointment, as well as the train tickets and hotel; 2) make an appointment at Johns Hopkins; 3) get my retina doc to forward the authorization and records up there; 4) make all-new reservations.

The good news: I’ll be getting crabcakes!

Such a diva! It’s all about the food!

Plus I have an unrelated important doctor’s appointment in the middle of the day tomorrow!

As soon as I really get on a roll, I’ll have to break away and focus on the doctor—and as far as focus, an ounce of morning is worth a pound of afternoon. My whole day will feel like a non-sequitur!

I confess, my mind drifted back to the memory of some yellow jackets I took in the early 80s. My coworker had a pharmacist boyfriend, and she gave me a couple for an all-nighter I had to pull for school.

I took them as soon as I got home—and nothing happened for hours! I felt gypped.

Then suddenly at 8 pm—ZING!!!! I became a MACHINE!!!

I thought how I could really use a couple now!

I looked them up online. Apparently you can buy a new product called “Yellow Jackets” over the counter: they’re nothing but caffeine pills!

Ha, ha, not quite!

I looked up the old pharmaceutical yellow jackets: the reason they’re no longer available is because they were a mixture of antidepressants and METH!

I had no idea I was taking meth! They used to call it crank in my day. I heard my coworkers talk about it in hushed tones, as if it was the next level up from pot, only for the most well-initiated.

I was scared of it.

I never would have taken crank voluntarily because it seemed super harsh—but I sure was wild about that yellow jacket! If I could have gotten them regularly I would surely have become an addict!

God spared me from a lot. I was a really foolish and gullible youth!

I just wanted to confess to romanticizing poison.

Posting has made me less stressed and my mind more orderly.

Thanks you guys for being there!