Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #6

Old 06-10-2018, 04:34 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm baaaack!

Congrats on finding fellow card-nerds, FBL. Half the fun (more?) is the process, imo.

Belated congrats on 5 years, Carlos! According to my recollection, you have your marbles back now -- and it's time to learn to use them. Yes?

Glee, you keep shining a little more light inside -- I admire you as a seeker. Socrates said "know thyself." Since going through the AA steps, I'm on hiatus from introspection. It gives me the shivers to think about the spiders still lurking in my corners.

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
Camden NJ, truly an armpit of the East Coast.
LOL! How was the concert? Who did you see?

Gilmer -- I'd love to be your knee-neighbor in the sewing circle & whisper snarkiness in your ear

Hi all! Hi Dee!
Old 06-10-2018, 05:23 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

It would certainly liven things up!
Old 06-11-2018, 03:37 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Welcome back, Courage! So, how was the trip? Details, please!

According to Zip, 5 years is when you get your marbles back and 10 years is when you figure out what to do with them. So, I've still got a little over a year to go on that front.

Picked up a few more cards at the show. Honestly, I had more fun chatting with my new found card buddies. Every hobby has its own history and terminology, and card collecting is no different. Probably not a lot of drinkers in that bunch, either!

Have a great Monday, all!
Old 06-11-2018, 07:11 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I am glad that you have found a hobby that gets you out of your office seven days a week FBL. I would probably enjoy collecting the years that you are currently, as they were the height of my sports fandom. Once I hit my teens, other interests started to creep in my head.

Glee, don't feel bad about procrastinating a bit. I have so much to get done around the house and yard, but I just have lost a little interest over the years. Sobriety is trying to show me what's important, and for whom things are important to. Learning to like or love oneself enough to follow one's own path is a new thing for me. I feel that I just feel guilty when I am not productive outside of work these days because I got so little done by the end of my drinking days.

Gilmer, I have a woman at work whom went away to knitting camp for a week last year. Imagine a room full of folks knitting and chatting away. She said that she had such a good time attending and that the folks there were such nice people.

Welcome back Courage! I can't believe your vacation is over already. I hope that the weather was good and you had time to do whatever you wanted to see. Sometimes, it's nice just to get away somewhere and break the routines that we so often find ourselves in.

I had seen Dead and Co, a mix of most of the remaining members of the Dead, plus John Mayer, and some other talented folks. Unfortunately, the show got cancelled in the second set after two songs due to lightning strikes happening just outside the stadium. The venue in Camden is like Merriweather Post Pavilion, or PNC Arts in Holmdel NJ , or Great Woods outside Boston, where half the attendees have covered seating, while the others sit on an open lawn area. They won't cancel a show for rain, but can't continue the show with lightning in the area. I still got to see an 1:45 hour show, just missed the final hour. It was funny to see everyone just hanging in the venue after the cancelation, waiting for the nasty storm to lessen a bit. Most of the parking is over a half mile away, so no one was in a hurry to get drenched.

It poured hard here yesterday and last night. The power flicked on and off a couple times and we had a twenty minute stretch where I figured that we were going to be out for the night. My wife has slept using a CPAP machine for a long time, and she was struggling trying to fall back asleep without it. Fortunately, things got rectified and we made it through the night as usual.

I can't believe my kids are done school today and tomorrow! It was literally snowing here the first week of April, and summer seemed so far away. Time certainly flies the older we get.

I plan on working out a bit, finishing a schedule and writing some performance reviews, as well as grocery shopping. Don't feel bad Glee, I am totally procrastinating behind the guise of reading SR.

Have a good day all!
Old 06-11-2018, 09:15 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Years ago I saw an Amy Grant concert at Merriweather Post. I had to walk out in the middle because it was loud, and there was some frequency that was causing the little triangle at the base of my throat between the clavicle bones to throb in a super uncomfortable way. It quickly became unbearable.

I have heard an urban legend that flesh explodes at continuous exposure to 8 hz.

I kind of believe it! I wonder if I was the only one who felt it!
Old 06-11-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Great Woods! I saw REM there, as well as the Indigo Girls during the 90’s.

Last summer I went to a similar venue in Hartford to see Green Day, and paid for a covered seat. Milestone.

Welcome back Courage! I missed you!
Old 06-12-2018, 06:23 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Glee, is Great Woods the venue where the parking lots are named by musical instruments? As in, " I think I parked in the violin lot, what is that near?" There was one venue up that way which took me a while to find my car afterwards post concert. Naturally, I had been partying a bit back in those days.

Courage, are you going to work reduced hours over the summer or are you doing a full load?

Off to work on my "Monday." Spent yesterday working on a schedule and doing employee reviews. At least I will get paid to work today!

Enjoy the day all!
Old 06-12-2018, 08:54 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
Welcome back, Courage! So, how was the trip? Details, please!
I'd dearly love to write up the details but I'm overwhelmed at the thought.

Lots and lots of beautiful subtropical plants and flowers,

bright colors,

and gods,

^^ that one's a Diego Rivera ceiling mural of the Mexica goddess Coatlicue, the mother of the god of sun & war. She has fangs and wears a necklace of human hands and skulls.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:36 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Intriguing! I’m glad it was a great time!
Old 06-13-2018, 03:05 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Thanks all for my 5-year marble collection. Cour, I never knew that was an AA thing until a woman with 18 years told me. FBL, I'm 65 and cannot wait 5 more years to figure them out. I'm rolling those babies for all it's worth.

And, welcome back, Cour. Interesting assortment of pics...so you!

FBL, you certainly seem to be rockin' this new card collecting hobby. Happiness to you in the hunt and gaining new friendships.

SG, I have a new recovery friend in CO and she watched that concert live on some tv app. She's a big fan of that band and invited me to Red Rocks to see them. It's a possibility, but, not I'm not a Dead fan. May go to see Tedeschi Trucks Band instead. Dig the blues.

I'm off to see Keb Mo tonight. Sixth row, pretty close to the center at a smaller venue in Clearwater. I steer clear of downtown Clearwater as a rule for fear of being kidnapped by the Scientologists. They dominate dt c/water and rule with iron fist there.

Anyway, Keb Mo is an amazing blues artist and I cannot wait to see him. I've seen him a couple other times but that was at least a decade ago. Youtube, Seven Year Itch by Keb Mo, or, Infinite Eyes. Two of my faves...if interested and you don't know him.

Got to run...need to catch up with GG for some foreign language humor and Glee for the 1.2 challenge on the rebound. My, my, how my life has changed...6:02 am and I'm running a tad behind.

Good day, all.

Carlos

PS: Thanks all for the 5-year congrats!!
Old 06-13-2018, 03:20 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks for the pix, Courage!

Carlos, love me some Keb' Mo! An amazing talent.

Am approaching the home stretch on my new Country book project. Hope to have it to the printer by the end of June. However, no hard and fast deadline, which is nice. Sales are still brisk. We're up to 200 copies sold already!

Have a great Wednesday, gang!
Old 06-13-2018, 04:43 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Courage

D
Old 06-13-2018, 09:23 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Dee!

In Mexico, I liked the people best. There's not a lot of attitude or edginess there -- scene-sterism. People show really strong family values. They venerate St. Joseph!

I have to be honest though that tequila's on my mind. I don't exactly want to drink -- it's just on my mind.

Anyway, I'm back at work again, which will keep me out of the gutter for a while. Not quite as many hours as during the academic year, but almost. For me, idleness is the devil's playground.

Have a good day/night, all!
Old 06-14-2018, 01:39 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Great pics Courage!

Hope you enjoyed the show Carlos!

Enjoy the day all!
Old 06-14-2018, 01:53 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

I agree, Cour.

I like to quote Prof. Howard Hill from The Music Man:

“Friends, the idle brain is the devil’s playground—TROUBLE!”
Old 06-14-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  
p***enger

^^^ At least we're not playing POOL!
Old 06-14-2018, 11:30 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

I’m very, very good at getting the white ball into the pocket!
Old 06-14-2018, 11:37 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

not sayin' it's aliens, but it's aliens. Look at her atmosphere-protection helmet, and the tubes to breathe.

*nods*
Old 06-14-2018, 04:16 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  
p***enger

She was the mother of the great Mexica god Huitzilopochtli, and some say she's one-and-the-same with the Virgin of Guadalupe, Queen of Mexico and Empress of Latin America:

Old 06-14-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Well, if that top image doesn't look like a Transformer, I don't know what does.

Love the imagery, though. That Virgin of Guadalupe is comforting to me, and I'm not even Catholic.