Notices

Class of February 2018 Support Thread Pt 2

Old 02-22-2018, 10:24 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Welcome to the newbies. Yay for getting through ur trip sober ProfD!!
Drinking is definitely gross. All the empty Calories. Feelin like crap the next day. Possibly the next few days if ur a binger like me.
Day 20. woo hoo 3 weeks tomorrow
Old 02-22-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

It indeed is gross. Funny thing is - I don't even like the stuff! I rarely like anything that I drink. I have gained quite a bit of weight as a result of all those empty calories.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:05 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProfessorD View Post
Cleaning your house of the booze is absolutely something to be proud of! Yay you. Those fancy bottles will be much more meaningful and valuable as gifts. For you, they will be self-destructive.

I think you need to get on the same page with your husband ASAP, but only when it comes to you and your drinking. If he's a normie like my husband he needs to know that you aren't, that you never can be, and that there is no such thing as taking sobriety too far. Being sober is extreme because it is redressing an extreme and life-threatening problem. Only he can know if he's an alcoholic, but he has to support you 100 percent in YOUR journey. Otherwise it will just be too tempting to lapse, don't you think?

Edit: I think I confused your brother and your husband here, but you get my point
Thank you for your response. Yes, it was my brother that said that. My husband is on the same page. I'm so lucky for that!! He has had his own catastrophes and has a desire to stop completely.. He had just made a comment, that it was a long break, whereas my concept is it's a done deal forever. Because if I consider it a long break then all the progress and changes I intend to make will be for nothing after the break, and if we were capable of taking long breaks then none of us would be here. lol.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:37 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Day 1

Yesterday was so bad that I woke up this morning with horror at the utter disaster that was last night.

I had 50 days in Dec and Jan. I tried to quit in this thread earlier in the month and failed. I have to quit now.

The time is 20:37 in the UK so I know I've made it through the hardest day of all.

Regards,

JT
Old 02-22-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
Day 1

Yesterday was so bad that I woke up this morning with horror at the utter disaster that was last night.

I had 50 days in Dec and Jan. I tried to quit in this thread earlier in the month and failed. I have to quit now.

The time is 20:37 in the UK so I know I've made it through the hardest day of all.

Regards,

JT
I am just dropping into the February group to wish you well JT. Really missed you around here. I have had my own 'failures', many of them....and I know how hard it is to start again. Well done on getting back to SR and making this your day 1.
DS
Old 02-22-2018, 12:54 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Quitnow4 View Post
Hi Class, I’m here and doing well. Around day 25 or so? Pretty cool ��!

Welcome to the new mates! I hope you find us as nice of a group as I think we are.
Pleaselisten, sure we can all relate to the auto pilot purchases after we have committed to not drink. I had one of those in Jan. after 2 days off wine and that was the last step back for me. Do whatever you need to. You can do this!!

I’ve been reading books on the truth about alcohol vs. the lies we believe as a culture, which has helped to change my whole mindset about it. Our problem as newly sober people, is we believe we’re sacrificing something...we’re depriving ourself and there the struggle continues. I have been retraining my thoughts to understand alcohol is a poison to our bodies. It does nothing good for us....nothing. I have not missed my nightly wine at all in fact, I have been a bit giddy about my new life w/o it. I’m me %100 with no mind altering drugs in my system. It is a beautiful thing!!

In my last attempts before, I always thought I was depriving myself of this pleasure which I deserved. The me time at the end of the day. I used to be jealous of the “normal” drinkers.” Why don’t they get hooked? I believe so many drinkers are hooked. Didn’t many of us start off as normal drinkers...Couple glasses here and there leading to our bottle or bottles per night? They may appear normal now but that was me a few years back, and here I am on SR.

It really is a big ol’ lie that we’re better with alcohol in our system. Like ProfD said, “I don’t drink, because drinking is gross.” Hey, ProfD! I hope you’re doing well in your travels!!

Thx for letting me ramble. So grateful for the sober life. I hope you all have a great day!
What books are you reading that you would rec?
Old 02-22-2018, 01:03 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
Day 1

Regards,

JT
I have many many many failures as I have been trying to stop for years. I have had so many mornings when I wake up and go "OMG, what I have said/done????"

I was on day 21 yesterday and ended up drinking. For me, I am just going to stop counting days because I have had so many Day 1's that it is just disheartening for me. I feel like a failure each and every time and somehow that makes me want to drink even more.

At this moment, I choose not to drink. I have to drive kids around and I have my son's conference at school and I want to go to that sober (and let me tell you - there are a number of them that I did not go sober!).

Just choose to be sober today.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Hi. I'd like to join you all. Day 9 here. Good to see some familiar faces.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:17 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

After dropping out of the december group i'm back. I need to get off this treadmill of 3 days on 4 days off. What a waste of time, money and health
Old 02-22-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChickChick View Post
Hi. I'd like to join you all. Day 9 here. Good to see some familiar faces.
Hi chick chick I remember you but I can't remember from which class in the past I've been in so many? Lol Anyway here we are...
Old 02-22-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Hey JustTony all I can say is, me too and welcome back.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome RP4595 chickchick and JT

Congrats Quitnow on day 25, wildflower 21, and CAGY 20

hi sunshine 72 - I had to see it as a lifestyle change too - after a while I really got into it.

wayforward - hope all went well Hi lessgravity and Darkling Song

alcohols not great in the way we drink it goodbyeevan

welcome back SpirallingUpward! feeling bad sounds like a trigger for you. I hope you can work out a strategy to beat that next time

welcome home ProfessorD sounds like a good trip

D
Old 02-22-2018, 03:31 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by PleaseListen View Post
Wish it was day 3 but I am back to day 1...had a bottle of wine last night for no reason...just said to myself, I need wine and without thought or hesitation bought and drank it like it was totally normal. I even thought to myself at the end of the night how good I did cause it was only one bottle.

I need to stop in those moments and shut them down! I need to learn a new behavior to do in those autopilot moments to stop myself! This is crazy!!!
Posting here is a hard skill to master when all you want to do is drink but I hope you try that next time you feel overwhelmed PleaseListen

We really do want to help you fight this

Originally Posted by 02022018 View Post
I wish I could say I am 20 days today but I cannot. I couldn't take the physical pain of my fibro and back any longer. I have not slept more than a couple of hours in the last 4 nights because of the pain. I drank last night.

I had some physical relief and was able to sleep last night.

I will not beat myself up. I had 19 out of 20 days sober and will not discount that. Back to the doctor again today and will move forward in my sobriety because I do know I am better without than I am with.
I'm really sorry you're in pain 02022018.

I have chronic pain too. If I've learned anything it's that alcohol simply does not help.

It promises relief but any respite never lasted any time worth a damn.

In fact I think drinking the way I used to made my pain worse.

I know fibro can be difficult to treat but do keep working with your Dr - thats the way forward, I think?

D
Old 02-22-2018, 03:31 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Currently obsessed with reading "the good house". Guess I'll break here in a bit and try this new AA group I haven't been to yet. I fought a panic attack the first half of the one I went to on Tuesday. I hate having to read outloud! I get this weird stage fright. Also caffeine may have contributed some. At this point I'm going to listen and maybe find some sober friends eventually. Since all my friends are from my old job at a bar, i have to find new ones. Which really sucks. I try to "play the tape to the end" when I start to get wistful about all those crazy nights there.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:37 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

I met a friend last weekend and told him in advance I wasn’t drinking. I felt confident about it since i had 39 sober days. When the bartender came over something overtook me and we ordered two beers. It was so sudden and of course it didn’t stop at one. So I’m joining the Feb. class on day five. I obviously shouldn’t have put myself in that situation and need to keep my guard up. Have a good night everybody
Old 02-22-2018, 03:43 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

goodbyeevan, I have to say your avatar makes me laugh so hard!

Welcome chickchick, good to see you

JT, you'll get it. It only has to work once forever! Welcome back.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

I know it's pointless trying to sleep on night 1.

Why oh why have I done this to myself again?
Old 02-22-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Tony - you'll feel better in a day or two

D
Old 02-22-2018, 04:07 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

JustTony, if you're an addict you can't help it, simple as that. All you can be responsible for is deciding not to take the first drink. I hope you don't waste any time and energy beating yourself up. You're a good person, and you're just struggling right now.

What's that metaphor you always use, Dee? About it taking a few launches to achieve orbit?
Old 02-22-2018, 04:13 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Hi sunshine, I've been in a ton of classes too. Lol I'm not positive which we "met" in. Hope you are doing well.
Hi ProfessorD and Dee, good to see you both.