Notices

Class of February 2018 Support Thread Pt 2

Old 02-22-2018, 01:34 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Hi I stopped drinking today, going to stay on here for support as suggested when I asked for help, thank you all. x
Old 02-22-2018, 02:19 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome mrslamp

D
Old 02-22-2018, 03:46 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. 715am meeting in a few minutes. Stead is the course. Hope everyone's suffering is minimal and typical today.

No one is coming to save me.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Good Morning everyone. This class just keeps growing and growing. So great to see everyone quitting the poison.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Wish it was day 3 but I am back to day 1...had a bottle of wine last night for no reason...just said to myself, I need wine and without thought or hesitation bought and drank it like it was totally normal. I even thought to myself at the end of the night how good I did cause it was only one bottle.

I need to stop in those moments and shut them down! I need to learn a new behavior to do in those autopilot moments to stop myself! This is crazy!!!
Old 02-22-2018, 05:59 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Day 22

Good morning everyone!

It's been a few days since my last post, glad to say I'm doing well and sober. This time around is very different, I don't think about using, it hasn't really crossed my mind since my final "day 3".....odd
I had a few rough patches this week, car broke down, missed some work due to car troubles, slept poorly for 3 nights. But, I got through it with a sound mind and body.

I can't believe I used to drink so much, on good days, bad days, any day. Feels so good to be on the right path! Thanks SR
Old 02-22-2018, 06:35 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Hi Class, I’m here and doing well. Around day 25 or so? Pretty cool ��!

Welcome to the new mates! I hope you find us as nice of a group as I think we are.
Pleaselisten, sure we can all relate to the auto pilot purchases after we have committed to not drink. I had one of those in Jan. after 2 days off wine and that was the last step back for me. Do whatever you need to. You can do this!!

I’ve been reading books on the truth about alcohol vs. the lies we believe as a culture, which has helped to change my whole mindset about it. Our problem as newly sober people, is we believe we’re sacrificing something...we’re depriving ourself and there the struggle continues. I have been retraining my thoughts to understand alcohol is a poison to our bodies. It does nothing good for us....nothing. I have not missed my nightly wine at all in fact, I have been a bit giddy about my new life w/o it. I’m me %100 with no mind altering drugs in my system. It is a beautiful thing!!

In my last attempts before, I always thought I was depriving myself of this pleasure which I deserved. The me time at the end of the day. I used to be jealous of the “normal” drinkers.” Why don’t they get hooked? I believe so many drinkers are hooked. Didn’t many of us start off as normal drinkers...Couple glasses here and there leading to our bottle or bottles per night? They may appear normal now but that was me a few years back, and here I am on SR.

It really is a big ol’ lie that we’re better with alcohol in our system. Like ProfD said, “I don’t drink, because drinking is gross.” Hey, ProfD! I hope you’re doing well in your travels!!

Thx for letting me ramble. So grateful for the sober life. I hope you all have a great day!
Old 02-22-2018, 07:03 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone, Nice to hear from you all. Just watching Robin Meade on Headline News. And in the course of 1 segment she has covered that today is, "National Margarita Day". Then went on to describe her favorites. AND it is now proven that Red Wine helps fight cavities. "yeah right!" So does brushing and flossing your teeth people. I'm just really noticing how alcohol is shoved down our throats subliminally EVERYWHERE!
Old 02-22-2018, 07:21 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement quitnow4! Your entry really hits home today as well!
Old 02-22-2018, 07:21 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Quitnow, YES YES YES. Thank you. I'm to the point where I know alcohol is poison for me but I find myself being a little envious of everyone who seems to drink moderately.

If you want to see gross drinking, I recommend "royal hangover", a doc about the drinking culture in the UK.

Not only good for fighting cavities but did you see "the study" that claims alcohol is just as essential for a long life as exercise??? Come on...
Old 02-22-2018, 07:57 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Hi Febs..

I've been away for about a week. I had a bit of a rough weekend and into the week.

So, a valve on my pool froze and cracked. The water thawed out and I lost about 500 to 1000 gallons from the pressure of the water on the cover. I had to fix it in the rain and mud by draining water off of the cover and then filling the pool back up.

Then I came down with flu and felt terrible. Then I pulled a "what the heck was I thinking"! I guess that's what I'd do when I'd get the flu in the past, because some terrible instinct just kicked in.

Nevertheless, back to day one after 16 days. but it's a lesson learned.

Glad to see everyone is going strong and doing well.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:09 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

SU, So sorry to hear about all your recent trials. I’m glad you’re here and back at it. We’ve all had those lessons learned and there’s got to be a last one. I hope this is yours. I’ve appreciated your posts.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Welcome, MrsLamp and Pleaselisten. Glad to have you back, SpiralingUpward.

Quitnow, that's a great post up there. So much of it is just a matter of correcting the perspective and retraining your autopilot.

Also, a big thank you to the well wishers. My presentation is in about four hours. I will definitely update you guys, but regardless of how it goes, today is 27 days sober for me and that will always be a victory.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:34 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Thanks Quitnow4 and wayforward!

That's the lift that I needed!
Old 02-22-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

I wish I could say I am 20 days today but I cannot. I couldn't take the physical pain of my fibro and back any longer. I have not slept more than a couple of hours in the last 4 nights because of the pain. I drank last night.

I had some physical relief and was able to sleep last night.

I will not beat myself up. I had 19 out of 20 days sober and will not discount that. Back to the doctor again today and will move forward in my sobriety because I do know I am better without than I am with.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:50 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! I have lots of catching up to do but I didn't want to waste any time to update you all that I didn't drink and I had a great trip And you know what? The belief I had that I could only sleep on a red eye flight if I was drunk was totally false; I slept WAY better sober. More later xoxo
Old 02-22-2018, 09:00 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Day 5. Since I decided to drink again in November and sporadically through the holidays until recent I have collected at least a dozen bottles of wine (my weakness). And other varieties of booze. I've boxed it up and giving it away. It really sucks because there is some AWESOME wine in this mix. I hesitated. I have saved 2 special bottles that I may re-gift because they are from this amazing winery we went to over Christmas. The majority of my affair with alcohol was enjoyable this last go around. BUT... I know me, and it started to spiral into getting full blown wasted and the infamous hangovers... which are way worse in your 40s kiddos!! I don't know if this is anything to be proud of, but... it feels good to rid my home of the temptation. Maybe my brother is right, I take drinking to far and I take sobriety too far... But I can't have both so I'll stick with taking sobriety too far... 'again'. Another thought, I asked my husband last night if he was on the same page. I don't want to pressure anyone to live a certain way so I wanted to know his thoughts. He just says he welcomes long breaks and the drinking lifestyle is holding us back from our full-potential. I totally agree, except I can't live like this is a long break, I need to convince myself that this is a permanent lifestyle change. Because I'm going to re-work my plan, and develop a life that is completely fulfilled without alcohol just as I did in the past. So to think I'm just on a long break doesn't work with me... Just putting my thoughts out there...

Last edited by Misc72; 02-22-2018 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typos
Old 02-22-2018, 09:23 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Cleaning your house of the booze is absolutely something to be proud of! Yay you. Those fancy bottles will be much more meaningful and valuable as gifts. For you, they will be self-destructive.

I think you need to get on the same page with your husband ASAP, but only when it comes to you and your drinking. If he's a normie like my husband he needs to know that you aren't, that you never can be, and that there is no such thing as taking sobriety too far. Being sober is extreme because it is redressing an extreme and life-threatening problem. Only he can know if he's an alcoholic, but he has to support you 100 percent in YOUR journey. Otherwise it will just be too tempting to lapse, don't you think?

Edit: I think I confused your brother and your husband here, but you get my point
Old 02-22-2018, 09:27 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

02022018, I'm sorry you aren't feeling better. Don't beat yourself up, but maybe ask your doctor how to maintain your sobriety and manage the pain? There has to be a better way for you. (((hugs))))
Old 02-22-2018, 09:40 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Welcome all the new members! I couldn't love this group any more. Drinking is gross, and we all deserve better! We can do great things if we support each other and keep our eyes on the prize. Look forward to getting to know you all.