# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of February 2018 Support Thread Pt 2

last part here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...pt-1-a-19.html

D
Old 02-15-2018, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good morning, afternoon, or evening, class!

We have a second thread already...that’s great. A lot of great posting here. I agree with footballmad, I didn’t expect to feel quite so much support here, but I do. So thankful to be a Feb and part of this group.

Hubby and I went out for a last minute date night last night (I had no intention of getting out in Vanentine’s, but It was a busy days with kids and I just wanted some alone time with him. What was awesome was that it had nothing to do with wanting wine. That really was a main motive for all our other nights out. I explained to him how great I was feeling (told him all the benefits I’ve experienced since I left wineville) and he was very glad for me. Although, he asked me again, as in the past, why I didn’t think I could enjoy a glass now and then. Mind you, he RARELY drinks. I explained it as an addiction like any other, and how I’m never satisfied at one or even two glasses. I even tried to compare it to his love for sweets. He would never give up that stuff! Another type of addiction but I’ll take that over booze any day! All in all, he gets it. He supports me and he is happy for me. We had a lovely evening, and we came home to get several more things done for work and the week. I love this new life.

Have a great day Feb friends!
Old 02-15-2018, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Febs...

I'm riding the wave on day 15. All is well here.

My son's school is closed Friday and Monday.

So, I'm taking off to be home with him tomorrow. It will be a nice 3 day weekend. He'll spend Presidents day with my in-laws.

That's about it...

My thoughts and prayers to the families of those from Stoneman Douglas High. I truly hope for better gun control in the U.S. and a more heightened awareness of mental health issues. This tragedy has saddened me.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Quitnow and SpiralingUp, it's so uplifting to read about how much closer your bonds with your family and loved ones are becoming. It's definitely been reassuring and exciting, in my experience, to find love and comfort with others without alcohol being involved.

Today is my day 20...and I actually had to think about what day it was, which possibly means that the counting is starting to become less important. I'm living life, staying busy. And, it's like, as long as I continue to put the right stones in the right place, good things continue to happen.

An example of that is an opportunity I was presented with this morning that, if all goes according to plan, would drastically improve my quality of life. But it mostly hinges on me continuing to lay low and make sure that I keep putting those stones in the right place. Patience and dedication.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job!!
Old 02-15-2018, 08:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Way to move forward, Wayforward! ( couldn’t resist . I love these names we all come up with! I hope to hear more about this opportunity as it presents itself. You are doing great.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wayforward View Post
Quitnow and SpiralingUp, it's so uplifting to read about how much closer your bonds with your family and loved ones are becoming. It's definitely been reassuring and exciting, in my experience, to find love and comfort with others without alcohol being involved.

Today is my day 20...and I actually had to think about what day it was, which possibly means that the counting is starting to become less important. I'm living life, staying busy. And, it's like, as long as I continue to put the right stones in the right place, good things continue to happen.

An example of that is an opportunity I was presented with this morning that, if all goes according to plan, would drastically improve my quality of life. But it mostly hinges on me continuing to lay low and make sure that I keep putting those stones in the right place. Patience and dedication.
Congrats on 20 days, wayforward.

That's a nice message you've strung together. Writing something that seemed simple to me, then read through another's perspective, you gave it so much more in meaning. Thanks for that!

While good things have already happed for you, stay on track and indeed better things will happen.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
South Asian

Today was a good day. Positive about the weekend. I sense I have moved on from being a reasonably regular binge drinker who uses liquor to deal with low moments and to unwind. But the binges still happen. After quite long periods (last year was once every couple of months on average I think). But they keep recurring. And I plan the binge and the recovery. So I understand before I start how bad I will feel. And still do it. Curious. Have a good day all.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understood how bad I'd feel too Horatio but drinking was the only life tool I had.
I really think the solution lies in planning not to relapse and finding other life tools.

D
Old 02-15-2018, 12:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horatio48 View Post
Today was a good day. Positive about the weekend. I sense I have moved on from being a reasonably regular binge drinker who uses liquor to deal with low moments and to unwind. But the binges still happen. After quite long periods (last year was once every couple of months on average I think). But they keep recurring. And I plan the binge and the recovery. So I understand before I start how bad I will feel. And still do it. Curious. Have a good day all.
Hi Horatio, I've got to be honest and say it sounds like you're playing with snakes. And snakes are bad playmates.

I second what Dee said.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

ProfD, I love your word picture.

Sounds like many of us are starting to see things differently/more clearly with sobriety. And starting to win at squash again!

I'm also very grateful for this thread and the support.

taketwo, congrats on Day 4. Good that you can take a rest during the day and work around the tiredness.

lovehoops, good luck with planning for next week. Keep us updated with how it's going.

I'd like to reply to everyone individually, but it would be too many posts - what a great group. I do read every post and feel encouraged by this thread and everyone here on the same journey.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 4

Coming to the end of day 4

I think my face looks a little less bloated, I'm drinking a lot more water and walking my dog 3 times a day religiously.
Tonight I even started tidying my living room, I've made lunch and I hoovered the stairs (first time in months)
Normally if I was in anyway going to tidy/clean, it was always done on the weekend, normally needing a glass or two of booze to get my motivation up, but then after a few, I'd give up quickly.
It's nice to see my heart rate drop too.
I'm actually looking forward to the weekend just to get the rest of my living room sorted
Feeling very positive so far!
Old 02-15-2018, 01:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

9pm on Thursday.

I've had better sleep for the last couple of nights, and this morning I actually woke up before the alarm. Felt a bit more clear-headed, drank much less coffee during the day and even ate a salad for breakfast - not sure what happened there, but I felt healthy for it.

Tiredness didn't hit until around 5pm, and then I could have slept standing up.

Cravings very bad today, the worst so far. My colleagues went out for a meal after work and I would have liked to have gone but it would have meant being around booze and also getting home late, both bad ideas today. So I didn't.

I've been doing stuff from my plan, including getting to some plants (soothing for me). Amazingly it was still light when I was coming home. The days are getting longer here. I walk past lots of hedges and usually just look at them but today I touched the leaves and even put my arms into some of them. Yes, hedge weirdness! But it made me feel better.

Even during the cravings, I know that alcohol wouldn't satisfy them. I'm longing for the illusion, not the drink. It may sound odd, but in a way that makes me even sadder. It's hard to let go.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Febs,

Just checking in. It's always a sad day on campus after another school shooing. I sure wish I didn't have to fear for the lives of my students (and myself). None of that has anything to do with drinking, of course. I didn't drink today, and I didn't want to. Some days are just tough in the regular way, I suppose.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Quitnow4, your valentines sounds perfect, and I'm so glad you didn't ruin it with wine! Perfect quality time.

Congrats on 15 days, SU! and 20 wayforward! Really impressive achievements. Keep laying down those stones, and great things will happen.

Horatio, I used to plan binges and recovery time too. The last time I drank was a planned binge. I had three days to recover before I had to teach a class. I used every single one of those days to get better. And while there were zero consequences and I was fully recovered by Monday, I decided I just didn't want to live like that anymore.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zombie79 View Post
Coming to the end of day 4

I think my face looks a little less bloated, I'm drinking a lot more water and walking my dog 3 times a day religiously.
Tonight I even started tidying my living room, I've made lunch and I hoovered the stairs (first time in months)
Normally if I was in anyway going to tidy/clean, it was always done on the weekend, normally needing a glass or two of booze to get my motivation up, but then after a few, I'd give up quickly.
It's nice to see my heart rate drop too.
I'm actually looking forward to the weekend just to get the rest of my living room sorted
Feeling very positive so far!

Good for you, Zombie! housework used to be a major trigger for me. I honestly don't know how people clean their houses while sober...
Old 02-15-2018, 01:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Zenna, what you say doesn't sound odd to me at all. I think you did a great job identifying your craving, saying no to your colleagues, and doing something that actually nourishes you on a deeper level. That's the whole sober game right there!
Old 02-15-2018, 02:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProfessorD View Post
Good for you, Zombie! housework used to be a major trigger for me. I honestly don't know how people clean their houses while sober...
I *hate* housework, especially washing dishes(don't have a washing machine)
Since Monday I've been doing a lot more cooking, eating a bit better- less processed stuff. So it means a lot more washing up but in comparison to last week- it's like night and day. Normally I'd come home with a couple of bottles of wine, or a bottle of spirits. I'd maybe walk the dog, ignore the dishes and just sit and watch TV.
The past 4 days, I come home-made get the dog out for a good walk, I do the dishes then make dinner then lunch for the next day. Do more dishes, then watch a bit of TV.
Walk the dog before bed, and tonight I was tidying instead of watching so much TV.
It's nice being able to see a difference:-)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Is it just me or have some Febs disappeared/stopped posting? Worried about you guys...let us know if you're out there and hope you are doing okay!
Old 02-15-2018, 06:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes, Please let us know how you're doing! Even if you don't have much to say, we'd love you to check in with a "hello, I'm doing well," or "I'm struggling."