Notices

Class of February 2018 Support Thread Pt 1

Old 02-02-2018, 09:33 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mavie View Post
If you all do just one thing for yourselves today (Besides the obvious DON'T DRINK) take a few minutes or moments to reflect on your life. Remember a time when you thought drinking would be an answer and it ended up making things WAY worse. Remember your own personal "rock bottom" and why you decided to quit.

And then, take a minute to look at your sobriety (even if its only been a day) and remind yourself of all the things you have to be thankful for. Tell yourself that those are what is important in life. Those are the things you have been taking for granted and missing while you let a substance control your focus and consume your entire existence. If you are fortunate enough, as I have been, to escape alcohol with loved ones intact, a good job, and a roof over your head, please please please stay strong, because in a few short weeks and days, the relief and joy you will experience knowing that you have been given another chance to make it right is going to hit you. And that thought has brought me to tears several times in these three short weeks. I've missed so much, but I refuse to miss anymore.

Stay strong all and have a blessed, alcohol-free day!
Thanks for the inspirational post and I can relate to your situation. I too have manage to escape the wrath to a degree, e.g., nice family, good job, and I'm still healthy. I could lose about 20 lbs. though. Typically when I have quit, in the past, the weight just falls off, and actually that is part of the reason I to want quit.

I'm pushing 48 and I really feel you only get so many chances with alcoholism. And as someone else posted concerning their drink of choice, I'm also a whiskey drinker with Scottish ancestry. So, I can hit it hard and still function, which is quite dangerous, I must say.

Nevertheless, thanks again Mavie, we can all revert to this well thought out message when we're feeling off.

I'm typically a good read on people and I see this class as very genuine.....Glad I came here.

Thanks for listening!
SU
Old 02-02-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Count me in the whiskey club too, lol. Last time I drank it I embarrassed myself, let down a friend, and ruined two days to an excruciating hangover. I'm genuinely amazed I woke up alive. The two pillars of my sobriety right now are 1) the memory of that terrible night and 2) the gratitude I have that I've been given another chance.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finalround View Post
Welcome aboard MuleyGraves and footballmad. Superbowl weekend here in the U.S, we can get through sober
You know FR, I was thinking, well, I guess I better take off on Monday after partying and watching the Super bowl. But it was like an instinct and then I said to myself, wait, I won't be drinking. So, I'll be at work Monday morning bright and shiny. That's what the voices do though until you break the trend.

Thanks for listening!
SU
Old 02-02-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I am here and I am ready.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

30 mins and I'll go to bed and I'll have made it through my first Friday night which is quite a big deal for me. sounds pathetic I know.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by footballmad View Post
30 mins and I'll go to bed and I'll have made it through my first Friday night which is quite a big deal for me. sounds pathetic I know.
It doesn't sound pathetic to anyone here! I for one, completely relate. Good for you on pushing through.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpiralingUpward View Post
You know FR, I was thinking, well, I guess I better take off on Monday after partying and watching the Super bowl. But it was like an instinct and then I said to myself, wait, I won't be drinking. So, I'll be at work Monday morning bright and shiny. That's what the voices do though until you break the trend.

Thanks for listening!
SU

I feel like this is definitely one of the clear "gifts" even early recovery has offered me...mornings without hangovers are AMAZING
Old 02-02-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProfessorD View Post
It doesn't sound pathetic to anyone here! I for one, completely relate. Good for you on pushing through.
thank you mate. some good people on here
Old 02-02-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome ProfessorD 02022018 & footballmad

not sure what usually happens on a Superbowl Sunday but I'm sure there are some applicable ideas here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...val-guide.html (Social Occasion Survival Guide)

D
Old 02-02-2018, 07:17 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Good Friday eve, friends. Stayed busy cleaning all my snake cages tonight. Much more productive than drinking whiskey. Hope you all are having a good one and being good.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:26 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Morning all 0721 hours UK time.

I travelled from the city to the coast last night and am sucking in some extremely fresh air now.

Just making some morning coffee. Then out for a walk along the beach. I want to build an appetite then go with some family to a nice little place for a cooked breakfast. Mmmmm thinking about it already.

Anyway back to the coffee now see y'all later😁
Old 02-03-2018, 01:21 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Count me in

Hi all
Id really like to join you on this February group, I've spent the last couple of days reading through different forums and the support is amazing.
I'm on day 12 of not drinking
(Day 70 of not smoking)
I wish you all the best in your recovery xx
Old 02-03-2018, 02:29 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome jaffacake

D
Old 02-03-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Day 3

Good morning Feb group,

I'm so grateful today that I came back to SR and re-committed to my sobriety. I have been on the roller coaster for so long, drink till I'm sick and then sober for a few months, drink till I'm sick, back to sobriety.........If you are new to sobriety, I will tell you that each and every time we go back to the bottle things spiral out of control faster and harder. I didn't even enjoy my last drunk, and I don't think I've enjoyed one for years. Once I stepped over the line of being a social drinker to alcoholic, they were all bad. I know that a sober life is better, and hopefully you all do as well. Fall in love with yourself again, reach out and grab this beautiful opportunity to be healthy and strong. Happy Sober Saturday!!
Old 02-03-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Feb 2nd waving the white flag

After about 4 day1 agains. I had a really bad black out. I can't drink. My body does not tolerate alcohol anymore. It's over. I've drank enough for 5 lifetimes anyway. I woke up this morning thankful to be alive and sober for the 1st time. We can do this!
Old 02-03-2018, 06:19 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Welcome Jaffa and Catldy. Good morning all. Happy sober Saturday. There so much I need and want to get done. Drinking has made me put too much off. Looking forward to a productive day. It's cold as hell but bright and sunny. It's going to be a good day. I'm not going to drink.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:04 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dustitoffman View Post
Morning all 0721 hours UK time.

I travelled from the city to the coast last night and am sucking in some extremely fresh air now.

Just making some morning coffee. Then out for a walk along the beach. I want to build an appetite then go with some family to a nice little place for a cooked breakfast. Mmmmm thinking about it already.

Anyway back to the coffee now see y'all later😁

That sounds so enjoyable!
Old 02-03-2018, 07:07 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wildflower70 View Post
each and every time we go back to the bottle things spiral out of control faster and harder. I didn't even enjoy my last drunk, and I don't think I've enjoyed one for years.
Wow, I could not relate more to this. Thanks for sharing! and welcome!
Old 02-03-2018, 07:10 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I hope everyone has a wonderful and sober Saturday. I'm getting some much needed rest. I am not doing ant work today, which hardly ever happens even on my weekends! Snuggling with my dog and husband, drinking coffee, catching up on TV shows we both like. The last thing in the world I want to do is take a drink to ruin this calm happiness I've created.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jaffacake View Post
Hi all
Id really like to join you on this February group, I've spent the last couple of days reading through different forums and the support is amazing.
I'm on day 12 of not drinking
(Day 70 of not smoking)
I wish you all the best in your recovery xx
Glad you’re here!