Notices

24Hour Recovery Connection Part 344

Old 02-01-2018, 02:17 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Checking in at 5:17 am from Ashburn, VA, USA.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:24 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Another 24
Old 02-01-2018, 02:25 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Checking in at 4:25am in Wisconsin count me in for another 24 please!
Old 02-01-2018, 02:28 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Engine de-greaser works a treat for cleaning crap (including double sided tape adhesive) off inside walls.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:32 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Engine de-greaser works a treat for cleaning crap (including double sided tape adhesive) off inside walls.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:40 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

It's 4:40 AM and I'm in for another sober 24.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:42 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  
Mr

Im in for 24.
V.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:46 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Signing up for 24 hours drink and drug free. 5:46am in Jacksonville, Florida!!

Congratulations to all those celebrating milestones today!!
Old 02-01-2018, 03:04 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Rammstein: Paris - Du Hast -A tune for Pebs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5HAEzEk8QM
Old 02-01-2018, 03:15 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Good morning,

I would like another 24 please.

Xx

Red
Old 02-01-2018, 03:21 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Good morning everyone! It's 6:21am here in lovely Mississauga. Another 24 more for me, please and thx!
Old 02-01-2018, 03:33 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Kenton

it might not be the popular response but the very best thing to do is nothing. It's not your dog - why walk it?

I know its hard to let it go, but those who really know you, know how great you're doing.

If you drop yourself down to her level, noone wins.

D
Thanks Dee. I like that....it's not my dog, why the hell should I walk it?!!

Sobriety has definitely given me the clarity to see that not everything is about me. Even if someone is being deliberately vicious and unkind...it says more about them than it does about me. I don't need to react and put myself inside a drama that has nothing to do with me. Great advice as always, thanks Dee xxxx
Old 02-01-2018, 03:43 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

In for 24 more sober hours!
Old 02-01-2018, 03:46 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberista View Post
First of all its these things that are a test of your strength however you have said "I always had a problem with alcohol so every time she did something awful to me, I'd get drunk, react ridiculously and strengthen my position as the family lunatic." but now "I'm not that person anymore... something that most people are starting to see. " That's the bit to focus on. You're not that person anymore so now you need to get a strategy together for dealing with these things now you're not that person anymore. My advice would be to sit down and write down how all this has made you feel. Write it all down. How you are dealing with things now, how great you feel, how this drama she is creating is of her own imagination and you are not subscribing to it anymore. Ask why she feels the need to create these stories about you. And then I would go, with my script in hand, take a deep breath and read it to her. See what she says and if she has any explanation. Until then I perhaps dont think you can decide one way or another what you decide to do next.

After my father died 3 years ago I realized how toxic and narcissistic my mother was. I went into counselling and as a consequence have no contact with my mother now. Im 52. My sister still has contact with my mother but she has told me that mum never liked me. This has all crawled out of the woodwork in the last 3 years. You never know but your sister may have some issues too that she is hiding from you. Perhaps your wonderful sobriety and strength is making her feel vulnerable and inadequate. Perhaps the way she is making you feel is actually a mirror of the way she is feeling and for her to deflect it to you removes the spotlight from herself. Without wishing to be rude I wonder if its not really about you but she makes out its that way and now you can see it for what it is. Before you gave her a reason to justify it. Now I am writing a novel!
Wow! Thanks Soberista. It sounds like we have lots in common. My dad died just over a year ago and my mother is definitely narcissistic. She decided when I was a child that she didn't want anything to do with me and I only started to have a relationship with her at the end of last year (I'm 41). She seems quite interested in a couple of my kids now (the well-behaved ones!) and whilst I'm pleased that she's getting to know them, it is bringing up a load of angst inside me... why does she like my daughters but she never liked me? etc etc.

Because I never had any relationship with my mum, I was extremely close to my dad. Even though he was an alcoholic, I got a lot of warmth and love from him and I still miss him so much it hurts. I did wonder whether my sister is angry because I've started building a relationship with my mum. My sister and mum have always been close and united by their dislike of me. I don't think my sister likes it now I've started to spend a little time with my mum.

Anyway, the truth is I don't know what's going on inside any one else's head but all I do know is that this time yesterday I was happily going through my life and now I've been dragged into a drama that I know absolutely nothing about. But the thing is, people can try to drag me into drama but I can choose whether I stay or whether I get the heck out. That's one of the fantastic things about sobriety... so much freedom of choice.

Thanks for replying Soberista. I'm sorry about the problems you've had with your mum and also about the death of your dad. I'm always here if you want to talk xxxxx
Old 02-01-2018, 03:54 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

24 more
Old 02-01-2018, 04:02 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
Wow Kenton that's a toughie for sure.
I suspect there are people in the world (your sister being one of them) that don't cope too well with "new you" (or me or any of us). They have gotten so used to your position in the pecking order of life as being "the one who reliably and regularly f***ks up".
Plus in my experience women can be strange creatures. I'd love us to all be cheerleaders for one another but I just don't experience that in real life. Take my diet. Honestly - they are all offering me cake and biscuits multiple times a day! Why? Then if the miracle happens and I shed some weight I just know some will say I looked better fat! Strange creatures indeed.....
This smacks of just not coping with your change and more than a touch of the green-eyed monster Kenton.
BUT what the heck do you do? In an ideal world sit her down and call her out on it sounds like the textbook option but would it do any good? Surely she needs to know that:
1) You know damn well what she's said
2) What she has said is absolutely not true
3) You're not prepared to put up with it any longer
4) You lover her dearly but this has to stop

I'm sorry this has happened Kenton sweetheart. We are behind you all the way no matter what you do (or don't) decide to do xxx
Thanks Jo! Yeah, strange creatures indeed. You know, when I was training for the marathon, I was doing one of my final runs the week before marathon day and I passed a group of women I know. One of them said, 'oh look at you little Miss Runner. How I'd laugh if you fell over now and broke your neck... just think, all that training for nothing!'

I ran on and thought, 'what a peculiar thing to say'. I'm happy to report I didn't fall over and break my neck but yeah, I always remembered that. I guess what we have to think is that people get jealous when we're on the right path. When we're doing something good ... for our minds, for our bodies or for our souls. No one was ever jealous of me when I was drunk and passed out in a corner, that's for sure. So keep saying no to the cakes and the biscuits Jo and focus on the long term goal. You're doing fantastic. I'll be your cheerleader all day long.... let's just hope I don't fall over and break my neck

As long as we're making ourselves proud, who cares what anyone else thinks. Love you Jo xxxxxx
Old 02-01-2018, 04:07 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

This one's for you Kenton and all our fellow sober warriors!!!!!
❤❤❤❤❤
Old 02-01-2018, 04:25 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

I know that I am very proud to be a friend of yours "little miss runner"! 24 more clean and sober hours please. Thank you all for being here! Congratulations to anyone hitting a milestone today and have a great day!
Old 02-01-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi All. 24 more sober hours for me. I will not drink! Congratulations to all the milestoners today. Wishing all a happy, sober day.

7:26 am
EST
Old 02-01-2018, 04:38 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Checking in for 24 more hours please at 7:38 am.

Congrats to today's milestones!

Have a good day all!