Notices

Class of December 2017 Support Thread Pt 4

Old 02-05-2018, 11:16 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
I've never done a spin class Barbs, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't keep up. I'm glad it's helpful

Congrats on 70+ days canguy! I hope your week is going okay.

Congrats on 50 days Magpie & ChloeRose!

Glad to hear your good news KDBnSLC

I'm glad your son's party went well numberthree

Hi Dee, MaggieJ, Vivie, Bob, PalmerSage, and everyone else.

Day 64
I'm sorry to see people leaving the class as well. Nichole & Strawberry and anyone else, please stop back and check in anytime.

Last week I made an appointment with a therapist I had a couple of years ago. I thought I would feel better about going but I'm very anxious. It's expensive ($140 session) until my $3k deductible is met and then they only pay 1/2. I am thinking about just going to this one and seeing how it goes, if it feels like it will help, etc., and then decide what I want to do. I used to go to SMART meetings once a week and I haven't done that for a while. If I decide against therapy, I might start back with meetings.

Thursday will match the longest time I've been sober that I can remember (67 days in my June 2015 class) and I am looking forward to getting there again

Thanks for posting and keeping me motivated everyone
Old 02-06-2018, 12:31 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Crap! My liver is fine...but, they found a small tumor on my left kidney today. I go in for an MRI, on Friday, with that radioactive stuff they inject, to tell me more.
It’s small, and was caught early, so let’s hope it can be treated.
I REALLY, REALLY, wanted to drink tonight, but didn’t.
Not sure what I’m feeling right now.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:32 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

KD.......support to you in a tough moment. You are doin really well to not drink. You'll get through this.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wishing you all the best KDBnSLC - catching things early is awesome. Medical science is a marvel

we're all beside you in this

D

D
Old 02-06-2018, 10:19 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Thinking about you KD. I’m glad they caught it early. Hang in there, and take good care of yourself. I can’t imagine what you’re going through.

Chloe, we’re on day 51! I just can’t believe it. You all have been so vital in my recovery. I’ve told some family about a forum I’ve ben on and used quite a bit in the beginning that has helped. I actually told my sister in law because she described to me what her eating disorder is like. So many parallels. The shame, the guilt, the compulsion, the endless torturous cycle. It makes me so, so sad to hear her and others in that same place we all know so well. I wish I could take it off her shoulders.

I feel so very grateful. I’m so lucky that I found the strength and insight to see what living sober would be like when I did. I still don’t know how long this will last, but I hope if I ever go down the drinking path again, I can look back at this time, these posts, and remember that I’m worth something. Life is good sober, future Julia.

I hope you all are doing well. I’m sad to see people leaving too. Everyone has their own path, and I hope theirs leads them right back here or some other form of support in time. All the best to everyone on this lovely day.

Love,
Magpie
Old 02-06-2018, 10:23 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Thanks for counting, Magpie!
I just keep having sober days and let them add up themselves!
Old 02-06-2018, 12:32 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Chloe, Magpie......the big 5 - OH, congrats.

Got invited out for a meal last night. This is not something I do often. Surprising pressure to drink. They really will force it on you, you have to accept that it is just hospitality. Didn't take it.
They had a glass, a couple, of wine....a beer to start. Conversation, then the party breaks and everyone goes home.
If I'd drank.....i'd be straight out for more and hard back into it. But we all know the story.
Sad that you can't just do it like they do....
Old 02-06-2018, 03:33 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on day 51 magpie and chloe

Congrats to you for getting through that canguy. It stopped being an issue for me after the first year. I think by then people either knew I'd quit or they had never known me as a drinker.

My family still offers me drinks but it's just background static.

D
Old 02-06-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Hey everybody, I was in this class briefly but slipped. I'm now in the the January class and on day 30. I saw that JustTony slipped too. I'm thinking of you JT, keep fighting.

Here's wishing health, happiness and long term sobriety to all
Old 02-06-2018, 05:25 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Thinking of you KDBnSLC.

Great job canguy

Thanks for posting JC-NY, congrats on day 30!

I hope everyone is well. Happy Wednesday
Old 02-06-2018, 05:28 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats JC-NY

Hi Emme

D
Old 02-06-2018, 08:46 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Morning my friends ... I have joined the feb class to hear from people at the same stage as me. But will keep posting here too as your my little recovery family. And I feel close to this class. Day 2 AGAIN. Have a good day cx
Old 02-06-2018, 11:42 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Hi JC and Strawberry! Hi everyone else too. Emme, canguy, bobdrop, barbs, Dee, Chloe, KDB, Maggie, no.3, Palmersage, and any of our other December friends who might be checking in but not posting.

I’m done with my day. Feeling a bit stressed today. I guess some general anxiety out of nowhere. Guilt about not putting in the effort I should be at work also. I hope I feel better in the morning. The last couple days of meditation I’ve fallen asleep during too. Not sure why?? They’re even sitting meditations. I hope it passes.

Speaking of the meditations, Thursday will be week 5 of the MBSR course. I fully recommend it to anyone, especially anyone recovering from addiction. It’s worth looking into if you have the chance. It’s been interesting the second time around sober. It’s hard to explain, but it changes the way you think about things in a good way.

Okay, nighty night!

Magpie
Old 02-07-2018, 03:55 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strawberry18 View Post
Morning my friends ... I have joined the feb class to hear from people at the same stage as me. But will keep posting here too as your my little recovery family. And I feel close to this class. Day 2 AGAIN. Have a good day cx
Great to hear! Goid luck, Strawberry.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:56 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Magpie82 View Post
Hi JC and Strawberry! Hi everyone else too. Emme, canguy, bobdrop, barbs, Dee, Chloe, KDB, Maggie, no.3, Palmersage, and any of our other December friends who might be checking in but not posting.

I’m done with my day. Feeling a bit stressed today. I guess some general anxiety out of nowhere. Guilt about not putting in the effort I should be at work also. I hope I feel better in the morning. The last couple days of meditation I’ve fallen asleep during too. Not sure why?? They’re even sitting meditations. I hope it passes.

Speaking of the meditations, Thursday will be week 5 of the MBSR course. I fully recommend it to anyone, especially anyone recovering from addiction. It’s worth looking into if you have the chance. It’s been interesting the second time around sober. It’s hard to explain, but it changes the way you think about things in a good way.

Okay, nighty night!

Magpie
Magpie, what is the MBSR course? I have no idea what this is.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.

Congrats to everyone accumulating lots of time

Hi Strawberry - glad your posting

Canguy - spin is a form of exercise with classes focusing on endurance, strength, intervals, high intensity (race days) and recovery, and involves using a special stationary exercise bicycle. I have not found any other exercise that gives a "high" like spinning. Unfortunately, I missed the class this morning

Emme - I just started back with a therapist too. I'm hoping the anxiety will lessen as I work on getting to the root of the problem. I hope it goes well for you

Magpie - I hope you're feeling better.

I took the morning off from the gym and spent it cuddling with the puppy instead. I loved it but now find it hard to get myself moving.

I suddenly have a list a mile long of things that I have to do before I leave Friday morning to visit my daughter and new SIL. My anxiety is so high I can't seem to focus. I think it might be time for a lorazepam, but there's negatives to that too.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:56 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Hi,Class.
I have been listening to "Full Catastrophe Living" on mindfulness. Also, have the book to follow up on my practice.
Finally bought a yoga mat. Been wanting to begin that for a long time. My living room looks like an exercise studio with a weight machine and eliptical on either side of my yoga mat, free weights and misc. exercise stuff!
It is great to have because I have been bouncing around the house with cabin fever for the past 2 weeks. The AV is trying to get to me in a very bad way...I am keepng busy to ignore it.
Glad I have all of you here for me.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

I'm wondering if 50ish days is a common time for the AV to pop up, because mine is, despite being mostly silent up until now! I won't drink, but I definitely need some new strategies...working on that now.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:54 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I am not sure, PalmerSage but, it has been really strong today. I am hoping it is because I have been stuck in the house for too many days and my brain hasn't had any 'excitement'. I have the itch to spend money online for 'spring stuff' but, I really don't have the money right now. I am trying to do something fun today but, my brain keeps wanting a drink. I am waiting for this to pass because now I am getting angry at it!!! I am thankful that it is too cold and snowy to go out. If today was like Springtime...not sure what would happen.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Maggie, MBSR stands for mindfulness based stress reduction and is an 8 week program mostly based on secular mindfulness meditation practice. There’s also a lot of material focused on what stress is and how we make it worse in the way we react to it. Chloerose’s book Full Catastrophy Living was written by the guy who founded the program, Jon Kabat Zinn. I have that book on audio too! And the hard copy. He founded the program in the late 70’s at the university of Massachusetts medical school, but there are programs all over the country now. There are lots of YouTube’s and shows out there about it and its efficacy. PBS ran a special on it in 1993 called Healing and the Mind that’s worth watching. There’s a free online MBSR class- if you google it you should find it. There’s a group on SR who are doing it and talking about their experiences on a thread. A live class started where I am a couple weeks after I quit drinking and it has been helpful for me.

I’m still not feeling great. I’m about to start work, and I have strange anxiety. Part of it is due to planning our marriage party in August I guess. Just stress. I’m trying to apply what I’m learning in the class and observe what it feels like. I think I just need to remember that a job is just a job. I don’t have to be perfect at it. I’m not going to get fired, but I make myself feel like I’m failing. Not sure where it comes from. I think I just need to light a fire under me. Ugh!!! I’m over it though. Sorry about the whining.

Take care today, class. Have a good one.

Love,
Magpie