Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 60

Old 12-19-2017, 01:22 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

..... And a very poorly Patch!

We used to subscribe to a wine club, the problem was I couldn't replace the ones I drank during the week with replicas. I ended up with a seperate stash of supermarket wine! Man, the time and energy I wasted trying to cover my tracks? I am so glad all that is over!
Old 12-20-2017, 05:29 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Good morning all, yes the covering tracks than freaking out worrying whether I covered them well enough. Not a way to live

Badge
Old 12-20-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. Just checking in. Day 107 for me😀
Old 12-20-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Congrats on 107,Stronger
Old 12-20-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Starting 6 month in a few days

I read the posts when I feel the need (it's soothing, even reading about other's failures past and present)

Thanks for the kinds words and advice

I did it again of course (Bitcoin) - sold at $16,500 (with a buy order at $16,000 to increase assets a little) but it went crazy at $16,500 and shot up to $19,000 before I could buy again). At $19,500 (after rolling about on the bed screeching a bit) I could not stand it anymore, so bought loads of random stock that I know nothing about......

Next week (I have no idea what is going to happen this weekend) I'm moving the bulk of my money into (what I consider) blue-chip stock, and just have $5000 for trading (gambling)

I've been eating sugary stuff (a substitute for booze) and have developed gout in my little fingers

Anyway - enough about my fun life - have a very merry Christmas
Old 12-21-2017, 02:09 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Red, the big thing that counts? Your first sentence, well done on continuing your sobriety in testing times.
I think a sugar addiction is pretty common among recovering alcoholics, there is a lot of sugar in booze and in the mixers. Also there are similar chemical reactions in the brains synapsis to the two, flooding us with endorphins for a short while.
Although unhealthy long term, I feel it is acceptable in the early months, to be a little unhealthy in what we eat as we deal with the gap in our lives from the missing bottle.
What is important early on though, is to find healthy acceptable rewards to give ourselves for achievements ( and an achievement can be surviving a crap day and not letting AV in) so nice bath bubbles/salts, a massage or other such treat ( how nice is it to feel the healing hands of an empathic practitioner?) or a new book or just granting yoursel f a spot of 'me' time that you specifically label 'my reward for being amazing today' !
Think ofThe part booze played as emotional succour in your past lives. Reward, consolation, companion. All these aspects need to find a healthier option. Coming here can be a help, but think of anything else that each of you do now instead. I 'allow' myself time off chores to write my books. I feel that my writing is selfish, because although I self publish online, it is a hobby that will always cost more than it could ever make ( 50 shades of Harry Potter I am not!). So taking time to write, when there is work to be done, is selfish. But I consider it my reward, and something I don't do too often. My drinking was way more selfish!
I'd love to hear some of your recovery treats!
Old 12-21-2017, 02:47 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Toots I don't think that's selfish ~ it's therapeutic, right? I'm hoping to get my head back on straight and give my creative side a chance....

Red ~I don't follow the stock market, but one of our radio guys was talking about Bitcoin & how he wanted to invest $5,000 back in the day - he says if he had, he would have $10 million now. I'm sure he did some rolling around and screeching as well......Best of luck to you! (And congrats on your 6 months!)
Old 12-21-2017, 06:04 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

How long [I]does[I] the sugar addiction last? I am coming up to 4 months and it only seems to be worse. I don't want to eat proper food, just chocolate. I care about good food and ate healthily when drinking (not enough food though I have to admit, mostly liquids) but now I have lost my cooking mojo. All other aspects in life have had a big dose of motivation - house is tidier, work is going well, bills are all paid on time, but food for some reason I can't be bothered with. This has been very surprising to me. Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 12-22-2017, 12:20 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Kachal, try just making sweet stuff a treat, maybe once a day you allow yourself to sit down and indulge. Also if you don't have small kids to bribe, or any other reason to keep it in your house, rid yourself of the sweet stuff. If it's not around, it's no temptation. Hard to do this time of year I know. And everyone who would normally bring you a bottle a Christmas is guaranteed to now bring a box of chocolates!
For me, it wasn't so much I stopped feeling the sugar craving, as much as I began to exercise. As I began to get fitter and lose weight, I wanted to cut back on the sugar. I still allow myself to eat chocolate and ice cream, but most of the year I don't eat many other carbs. This time of year I don't worry too much.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:21 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Living the life

I rarely craved anything sweet when I was a drinker, instead leaning to salty treats. That has now switched. I allow myself two cookies to dunk in a cup of tea or coffee every day. It's a small treat that seems to mostly satisfy my newly found sweet tooth. Having said that I now always serve dessert after dinner on the weekends when my family is around. I never did that as a drinker. I am getting lots of walking in so I think that helps but sobriety has definitely changed my eating habits.

I live alone during the week and find it hard to motivate myself to cook properly for myself. I often have leftovers at the beginning of the week from cooking for family over the weekend but those are gone by Wednesday or Thursday and then it's a tossup whether I cook something healthy for myself or just do something quick and easy. For me it's often that I'm in the middle of something I'm enjoying (like playing in the sewing room or the garage) and I don't want to take a break from what I'm doing to take the time to properly cook. I know I need to work on that.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:51 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

my evil complacency monster is trying to sneak up on me, I can feel the little devil lurking around the corner. Getting away from here (SR) I know was the beginning of my past downfalls, and even though I check in every day, I can sense myself starting to wander. I like how I am not obscessed with drinking, and that it is not consuming my brain as much anymore. I know I need to stay on top of this sober horse, not let it take the reins again. How are the rest of you dealing with this? Anxious to hear your responses

take care all
Badge
Old 12-22-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I'm the same way, Badge....AV tried to sneak its way in earlier about Christmas Eve....I plan to stay close to SR, have chocolate milk on hand and hang out by the snacks!
Old 12-22-2017, 11:52 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Badger, I found that posting often, helped me in the first year, I spent a lot of time on the then Limerick thread, as I love words and verse especially. Finding a thread here where there is a shared enjoyment can keep you entertained! Also find things to keep you busy in the real world, and be social with other non drinkers. That helps because it is reinforcing the feeling that sobriety is the norm. Keep you head on the prize, put your sobriety at the top of your list. Evenings were always my downfall so I kept my hands and mind busy, crosswords, solitaire, knitting, writing.

Be strong, Be Safe, Be Sober my Undie friends. You are so much more than you think you are. And being here together, you are capable of moving mountains.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I've made ice-cream (lovely with hot mince pies)
and just have a brioche fruit loaf to bake (for vintage cheese)
then I can vegetate

my favourite Christmas song is ‘I Believe in Father Christmas’ – Greg Lake
(just a random thought)

I have spiced tomato juice, and ginger ale (with fresh lemon) for my not-booze

I'm going to reflect on all the good things in my life and how easy my life is (compared to the majority of people n Earth) this Christmas

Best wishes and enjoy the fun sober :-)
Old 12-24-2017, 09:51 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas to all my undie friends!
Old 12-24-2017, 10:12 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas RG🎄 I’m having a fun day but feeling a bit full right now. Enjoy your day everyone!
Old 12-25-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

Merry Christmas gang

D
Old 12-25-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas Undies!
Old 12-25-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Red, that sounds scrummy! I did a big breakfast fry up, and we will eat at our daughters around 4pm. Tomorrow I have the gang around here for beef rib.

Thank you all for keeping this thread alive and for the love and support you all give.

Seasons Greetings to everyone xx
Old 12-25-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Living the life

Merry Christmas to you all!