Notices

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 5

Old 12-04-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 5

last part here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...pt-4-a-20.html (Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 4)

D
Old 12-04-2017, 06:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Whoa! Slow down Dee!! lol

Badge
Old 12-04-2017, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Badgerd, I like locations that are rough around the edges to say the least. So my Cuba experience would probably be very different than yours. I keep hearing how much I’m going to love it from everyone that’s been and how kind the people are. One good thing is that it’s not dangerous. No robbers or muggers or scammers. We’re getting outrageous price quotes for transport and rides while there, so we are going to wing it.

Anyway you’re right. Could not be at a better time and could not be going better. It’s ‘easy’ to stay sober with stuff going on around me. It’s the boredom, monotony and hopelessness that kill me. And Connecticut. What a terrible State. Very well educated population, plenty of opportunity to provide services and make serious bank, good political climate for me, but just nothing there for me. Very boring, snobby, and I hate the climate.

Viper
Old 12-04-2017, 08:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Woop! <3
Old 12-04-2017, 08:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Checking in for you badgerden - all is well with me and I'm still not drinking. (somewhere in my second month now). I'm focusing my energy on being healthy, spending time with family, and saving money. Not drinking alcohol ticks all those boxes nicely. Even got offered a beer for helping at a recent community event but had no issues turning it down.

Recovery and "the sober lifestyle" is at the front of my mind. I still browse SR every day.

Good luck and Happy December everyone.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome, Rubaduck, keep it up.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

wtg rubaduck. Glad the AV isn't playing around with you. Tickled to death this morning that it is warm. I had a low battery warning yesterday but think it may have been d/t me having the radio on. It started right up after and also after work. Praying the battery is ok but given a reprieve this morning with the warm weather. Summer can't get here soon enough for me. This is ridiculous - it's bad enough having to have the device but to have to go thru the constant worry of it being to cold to give a correct reading isn't right. The company should have some better solution for it. Oh well hope the car starts this morning. Finally a new thread, onward we march so glad for everyone who doing well, esp with an AV problems this month. Prayers for anyone who isn't. Please post and let us know you are ok even if drinking - we still care about you!!
Sorry to hear about so many having tinnitus but it makes me feel better that maybe no alcohol may eventually let it go down a bit. I hope we can keep updating each other about it. Thanks ready for bringing it up.
Also glad to see so many checking in - have a great day everyone!
Old 12-05-2017, 02:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The AV is there, but it doesn't want just one beer. One beer would break my momentum of not drinking every day, and would be jumping straight into a very risky hole. More than one beer would be jumping in with a shovel in one hand.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. How are you doing?

Day 60 has slunk past me this week with not a second thought which is great.

I'm sorry I've not been around much. The group is definitely getting quieter and I hope that means everyone is getting on with their lives.

I found myself using this as a place to vent which is why I've not been around so much. Every time I'd log in I would be analysing how I felt, what I had going on and how I was dealing with it and felt like I was moaning all the time. Actually I'm doing pretty good. I'm putting everything that we will be facing next year to one side for now and just enjoying each day.

I had a lovely weekend with my family and will be doing similar next weekend. Just got a couple of last minute presents to get and I'm sorted for Christmas. We have my sons birthday in a couple of weeks (sleepover with 9/10 years olds ) but other than that everything we have planned is stress free.

I'm catching up with some old friends this week which will be nice. I only see them a couple of times a year and because of travelling there's never any drink involved - we just go for a meal.

Soul - I know this thing is stressing you out but you will get used to it and it will be fine.

Viper I can completely relate to how you feel there. I love being in the countryside but I live in a city. There are green spaces but it's not the same. One day when the kids are older and we get the chance I hope to move to a more rural place. By the sea would be amazing. Short of that I'll move in with Kit in the Lakes (another favourite place of mine).

Check in all you lurking. Let us know how you are doing. xxx
Old 12-05-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I saw a few posts about tinnitus so thought I could clarify. Tinnitus is usually temporary with drinking because alcohol increases blood flow to the inner ear. It also increases blood flow all over and to the face. That's why some folks when drinking to excess get flushed in the face. Alcohol is also known to increase blood pressure so there's that aspect too. Excessive drinking on a prolonged basis can lead to permanent tinnitus. Usually if it doesn't go away after a few hours it may be a permanent condition. The brain however is highly adaptable and as such it may "get used" to the ringing and not register it anymore. Same reason some smells, even if they are ever present, are eliminated from our brain's registry at times. Think about scented candles. You smell them when you walk into a room but then you don't really register the smell anymore. Something of a digression but I thought that would help sort out my point.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good morning folks. Checking in on this winter gloomy day (although it's a nice gloomy day).

Soul, you probably should get your battery checked (do you have AAA)? The interlock needs to have a strong battery. Plus you do not want to get stuck somewhere with a dead battery. Just happened to me and I switched mine out under warranty. Look at the date and perhaps your battery is still under warranty.

Rubaduck - keep saving that money....and belated congrats Charlie on 60 days.

Badge, GB, Dee, DD, Vipe, loud - have a great day. And the rest who are peeping in we are thinking about you.

The attorney in CA filed the paperwork for a jury trial (this is for the guy who had me uproot my home and travel all the way to CA for the job and then changed his mind when I got there so I could then travel all the way back to TX). Attorney said it can take from 4 - 22 months for a decision, depending on how much job guy fights it.

Stay warm out there!
Old 12-05-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I like locations that are rough around the edges to say the least Oooh, cannot wait to hear about it! I am a backpacking, away from the tourist, type girl, let me take my dogs and I am a happy camper.

Look at all the check ins!!

Duck! So glad you are doing well, sounds like you are heading in the perfect direction!

Charlie- Congrats on the 60!!oh Christmas birthdays, are they not the most wonderful things? Having one myself I am thrilled you are having a party for your kid. I can never remember having one myself, everyone was so busy, or broke.

Soul- did the hand warmers work for your machine?

GetBetter- I enjoy your posts, they make me think and clarify much for me. How could the brain adapt to that annoying wine,,oops spell check,,, ahem,,, whine of tinnitus? I have just short events of tinnitus, very much enough for me, I could not imagine having that around 24/7

LuLu-22 mths? that sucks...

off to get my day started, take care all!

Badge
Old 12-05-2017, 08:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Checking in now, didn't check in before.

6 weeks and a day

Found out I have a lot more energy at night now! Even though I confined drinking to weekends, it took a long time to recover during the week.

Managed to get the stairway decorated last night (curved staircase with lights), we have an Elf on the Shelf, so he made cookies last night for the kids lunches. (Our elf is not naughty) - This was after barn chores and kitchen cleaning!

Got my hair and cosmetic facial appointments lined up for before Christmas, shocked my teeth are staying so white since quitting red wine! Even my veneers had started staining. Now I got a nice Hollywood smile LOL

Hope everyone is having a great day, looking forward to getting to know all of you!
Old 12-05-2017, 11:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
Checking in now, didn't check in before.

6 weeks and a day

Found out I have a lot more energy at night now! Even though I confined drinking to weekends, it took a long time to recover during the week.

Managed to get the....../...

Hope everyone is having a great day, looking forward to getting to know all of you!
Hi there mylittlehorsie & welcome to our little group. 6 weeks is an impressive achievement. Well done you!
Victor
Old 12-05-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done Charlie on 60 days too!
And to everyone else on here for yesterday!!!
Old 12-05-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well hello there MyLittleHorsie! Very cool someone new here. Sounds as if you have some fun things lined up... and I just recently learned about the Elf thing. I luv it!
Old 12-05-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey everyone - just been catching up. Checking in to let you know I am still around. Had a setback, working on it. Not much to say really aside from get back to it and be smarter this time.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Tinnitus

Hi - just checking in, been awhile since I posted. Still reading though!

Several mentions of Tinnitus. I had it very bad after an upper respiratory viral infection earlier this summer. Also suffered a great deal of hearing loss in one ear as a result. My ENT doc said I needed to just learn to live with it, that it may or may not go away on its own. I asked him about trying alternative medicines and he said to feel free to try as he knew of others who had relief from it.

I went to an Accupuncturist who also holds a doctorate in chinese medicine. She did a very specific acupuncture procedure as well as prescribed some specific chinese herbs for 30 days and I saw quite a bit of improvement. It was also suggested to eliminate dairy products from my diet for a few weeks, which I did and it also helped a lot. While I still have the tinnitus, it is not nearly as bad as it was, and I only notice it now when I go to bed and its completely silent.

LHW
Old 12-05-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Thank you everyone who has shared anything about tinnitus. I have pretty much resigned myself to it for life. But I am hoping that not drinking and then becoming healthier as time goes on that it will get at least a bit better. LHW it seems that dairy is just so not good for people but then there's cheese..... what do you do. The diet I am going to try to get back on in 2018 is a no dairy one. I am going to cut out as much as I can, but for the moment there is ice cream.... still in my comfort eating stage.

rmeat I'm so glad to see you back-I missed your posts. And so glad you are brushing yourself off and starting anew. Sending a and good vibes your way. You deserve this!

charlie congrats! I'm so happy to hear you are enjoying your Christmas. 60 days - pretty impressive. I guess I am going to stress pretty bad for some time but I am doing my best. Reading at nite is something to look forward to and coming here where I feel safe and can vent is such a great help in keeping it together at home.

badger - yes I did have some success with warming the unit with my clay heating thing and the microwave. After my battery incident, I called the guy and he was telling me (that he had already told me but I don't remember this) to not leave the car turned to accessory until I passed it but to turn the key on, immediately turn off and then wait to blow, pass the test and then turn the car on. It has been working better to warm up the unit that way I think. I haven't used the hand warmers yet but cold weather is on its way this week so I probably will. It was so nice it being warm this morning - I can't wait for spring and praying for any warm day I can get until then.

Lulu - I don't have AAA and (I hope I'm not jinxing myself)... I am too embarrassed about stopping to have the battery checked. It has started fine and that hasn't happened again. If I get stuck either at my work or at my house, I guess I will have to break down and tell my nephew and ask if he will help... I'm just too embarrassed and stressed out at this point to add anything that I don't have to. I read online that cars like mine can have that problem of doing that. If it starts to do it again I will have to do something. But thank you for thinking of me. I feel so vulnerable and helpless right now. I'm just trying to get through this month. But mostly just trying to get through each day without them coming to walk me out the door of my workplace. I'm sorry you are having such a time with legal stuff and the job thing

GB I hope things are going good in your world.

loud430 good to see you pop in and mylittlehorsie a big welcome. You will find we are a big huggy family and pretty much let it all hang out in here so don't feel backwards about posting whatever haha. There's normally several of us around every day and we do worry when someone doesn't post for a while. We don't leave our own even if they have fallen down the rabbit hole for a bit - everyone is still welcome and cared about.

One person I am thinking about right now is Brighten.... I liked hearing from him.... hopefully he is just out running or camping and will be back soon. Hope everyone is having a good evening... I had a cry spell earlier when I got home, but .. well I just had it and then told myself that I was ok right at this moment and got up and made myself eat something and came on here. Love you guys......
Old 12-05-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Bad: You asked about adaptation to tinnitus. The statistical majority of people can just learn to ignore it. It becomes like white noise where the brain can be trained to just ignore the signal. Thank you also for the compliments on my posts, I'm glad they can be of help.

Mylittle: Glad to hear from you, please post more often, we always welcome hearing about good successes. Actually we welcome hearing about when someone falls as well. We are here to help!

rmeat: Sorry to hear of the setback. Care to share what happened? Maybe we can help go through the situation.

Lovehate: Good to hear you had success with reducing your tinnitus. I know it can be awful for some.

Soul: You said you feel vulnerable and helpless. You are not vulnerable, that feeling is the enemy lying to you. Put on your full armor of God. Read Ephesians 6:10-17. You are not helpless either, another one of the enemy's lies. You have strength, you have courage. You have control of your present and future. KNOW that you have all of this and more right in the palm of your hand. Feel the control, the power you have to continue to overcome your weaknesses and put more faith in your strengths. Use the strengths to absolutely dominate the weaknesses. You are a smart one, combine all of these things into your fight. Fight, fight, fight, then fight some more. Listen to the right voice, do not be fooled by the enemy. When the enemy tries to lie to you, talk to him. Yell at him if you need to. Let him know that he is ultimately doomed. Let him know that he is a coward and is not worthy of your time. Let him know that you are in control, that you are infinitely more powerful than he ever wished he could be. Banish him from your mind and focus on what you know is right. He knows he is ultimately a loser, that is why he tries so hard to defeat us! We've read the book, seen the movie. He loses and we win forever. The enemy has no authority over us. Overcome your worries and win! You will do it!