Notices

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 5

Old 12-05-2017, 09:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

hey everyone-

its been a minute since I've checked in and hope all is well.
My first week of work kicked my a**!!
I worked 6 days straight, came home every day, passed out, then slept all day on my days off, which were Sunday & Monday. It was an intense week... to say the least. Still love it!

I have some concerns I want to talk about. I'll probably start a thread about it tomorrow, but in the meantime perhaps someone has had a similar experience they can share? I really need to get to get to bed, so if I don't respond, that is why, and I'll check back tomorrow; as I am beginning to adjust and want to catch up with everyone.

Each time I start the process over, I noticed that I sweat excessively more. It hasn't subsided very much and I believe it's day 11? Also, my feet and ankles are swollen, itchy, red, and painful to stand on. That was also a symptom of the past, but is much worse this time. Something I cannot ignore anymore.
Perhaps I caught something at work? It's making me nervous.

If anyone can shed some light and share their experiences, I would appreciate it.
I fear I may have caused some damage here. I don't want to speculate and stress myself out, but it does worry me.

Much Love_
Wax
Old 12-05-2017, 10:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi waxfruit - excessive sweating was always a hallmark of my withdrawals, but I do live in the tropics, more or less. Can't help you with the other stuff tho.

If it something you've had before there;s a good chance its withdrawal related but none of us can say that for sure.

Keep in mind there is a thing called Kindling which means the more years we drink the worse our withdrawals are likely to be.

If you're worried there's really only one safe course and that is to see your Doctor.

D
Old 12-06-2017, 02:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

MyLittleHorsie… Nice to meet you and welcome to the group.

rmeatgt350… Good to see you trying again. Posting here regularly will make it much easier.

Charlie… 60 days. Thats amazing. Im really inspired by that and now I want to reach that stage too.

Getbetter… Thats a powerful quote and powerful words. Can always do with hearing that. We should never let that negative voice within us dominate over the encouraging positive one. It can be so difficult at times though.

Wax fruit.. Good to see you back posting and working hard. I haven’t experienced what you have in terms of the sweating etc. but was going to mention kindling and saw that Dee already had. Hope your symptoms reside soon anyway.

Everybody else… have a good, sober Wednesday.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wax - I hadn't put 2 and 2 together but I was sweating really badly during the night and it only stopped a couple of weeks or so ago. My face has also erupted into spots the last few months having never had spots in my life. I just took it as me getting older and nearing 40. The sweating though has stopped so maybe it was withdrawal. It lasted for weeks after I stopped drinking. I've not experienced anything with my feet though.

I have to say those 60 days feel like they have flown but at the same time my last episode seems a lifetime away. Mentally and emotionally I'm a million miles away from that place.

Hello to everyone who has been posting.

Everyone else -please check in. Brighten/Kit/the Bobs and everyone else We miss you and want to know how you are doing. xx
Old 12-06-2017, 04:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wax: The sweating, as Dee said, can definitely be withdrawal although I would have expected that to subside by now. The legs are what worry me. While it could be an allergic reaction, your symptoms can also be a symptom of DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis). I would not hesitate to get to your Dr immediately. A DVT, if dislodged by physical activity or exertion, can be deadly because the clot in the leg or legs will travel down the bloodstream until it gets to a place too small for it to traverse. Therefore all of the blood flow downstream of the clot ceases. Can lead to a CVA, Pulmonary Embolism, or MI. CVA=Cerebro-Vascular Accident(stroke). MI=Myocardial Infarction (stroke). A DVT is often accompanied by things like elevated heart rate so that could result in excessive sweating also. DVT discomfort is usually higher up than the ankles so the swelling could also be edema (swelling due to unusual retention of fluid, usually a circulatory etiology).

Don't freak out too much, I usually present the worst case scenario first so that no one can pull the "you knew but didn't tell me and now look what happened!" It could be just an allergic reaction or unusually long recovery from drinking but let's get to the Dr to rule out something that could be far worse than just a nuisance.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Octoberites. Just wanted to not leave you guys hanging. I have been struggling and have seen some in the December group that seem pretty similar. I have loved this group but need to get over there to see if we can help each other get to where so many of you succeeded. Stop in every now and then if you want to check up and I will check in here from time to time.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Wax, at 11 days I would say sweating would not be out of the question from the booze. It’s not just withdrawal. It’s a reset on your system and anxiety can cause a lot of sweating too. As far as the feet go, what about gout? I’m not sure about the exact symptoms. Does it come on after drinking and get better after 3 weeks? I get tendinitis in my ankles that is brutal, it goes away if I don’t drink.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

So all this activity is catching up to me. I’ve got some really bad pain in my knee and I’m getting tired out. Cuba is going to be a non stop thing as far as it goes for me. For my sister it’s like a half-time but for me it’s triple time. I started ibuprofen and man did it help that knee. It must be fluid in there.

Otherwise all is good. We need to hit a Best Buy or staples for a couple of camera items. My brother in law care down with us and is going back today and returning in a couple weeks. We’re goimg to the airport. Really really sweet guy. A ‘mans man,’ but a big teddy bear.

I went to the grocery store last night and my sister texted and asked for a “$20 bottle of Pinot Noir.” I was like “Really????” But I didn’t want to look like some kind of crazy addict and she’s helping me a lot. It was not issue for me. Going in the store felt gross. I asked the dude which one to buy, handed him a $20 and was out in 60 seconds.

Thanks all,

Viper

Old 12-06-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Did I mention I’m sober??
Old 12-06-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Wax, couldnt agree more with GB. Probs nothing serious but a doctors visit is whats needed here I reckon.

Bob, thanks for checking in and letting us know where youre hanging and that youre good. Wishing you every success mate.

As for the spotty face, yep, thats me too! i got a dose of spots on and around my chin like i havnt seen since I was 16 but theyre a small price to pay I suppose.

Re; Buying booze...yeah, Ive had to do that one aswell recently.
I bought beer and wine for some guests who were coming to stay.
It did feel odd, like I was engaging in some sordid and shameful activity.
Its interesting and encouraging how quickly we can re-frame actions and events that up to recently were daily normality for us and are now, undesirable, even distasteful for us

Keep well and sober one and all!
Old 12-06-2017, 11:09 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for responding. I’ll make a drs appointment today. I did read a bit about what the pain in my feet (and it has spread up my leg a bit) “may” be.
I need to have it checked out immediately. Sigh*
Thanks you guys.
Wax
Old 12-06-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Getbetter72 View Post
Bad: You asked about adaptation to tinnitus. The statistical majority of people can just learn to ignore it. It becomes like white noise where the brain can be trained to just ignore the signal. Thank you also for the compliments on my posts, I'm glad they can be of help.

Mylittle: Glad to hear from you, please post more often, we always welcome hearing about good successes. Actually we welcome hearing about when someone falls as well. We are here to help!

rmeat: Sorry to hear of the setback. Care to share what happened? Maybe we can help go through the situation.

Lovehate: Good to hear you had success with reducing your tinnitus. I know it can be awful for some.

Soul: You said you feel vulnerable and helpless. You are not vulnerable, that feeling is the enemy lying to you. Put on your full armor of God. Read Ephesians 6:10-17. You are not helpless either, another one of the enemy's lies. You have strength, you have courage. You have control of your present and future. KNOW that you have all of this and more right in the palm of your hand. Feel the control, the power you have to continue to overcome your weaknesses and put more faith in your strengths. Use the strengths to absolutely dominate the weaknesses. You are a smart one, combine all of these things into your fight. Fight, fight, fight, then fight some more. Listen to the right voice, do not be fooled by the enemy. When the enemy tries to lie to you, talk to him. Yell at him if you need to. Let him know that he is ultimately doomed. Let him know that he is a coward and is not worthy of your time. Let him know that you are in control, that you are infinitely more powerful than he ever wished he could be. Banish him from your mind and focus on what you know is right. He knows he is ultimately a loser, that is why he tries so hard to defeat us! We've read the book, seen the movie. He loses and we win forever. The enemy has no authority over us. Overcome your worries and win! You will do it!
Thanks. What happened was my own fault, I let a situation control me. My wife went out of town to help her father clean up some of her Moms things (her Mom passed away this June) and I was actually fine solo, but my parents decided to come visit, which was nice... the issue is when they visit they generally drink pretty heavily, so they showed up with a case of wine. I stupidly didn't even think about that ahead of time. So, I got home from work, my Mom had made dinner, sat down to a nice plate of food and, of course, a glass of wine. It caught my totally off guard and in an effort not to make the evening really weird (I havent told my parents Im trying to stop drinking), I drank it. I actually had a bit of a victory that night because I just had the one and managed to let my parents get drunk without them noticing I wasn't drinking.

After three days of the same routine, of course, on day 4 there I am a bottle deep and simultaneously saying to myself, why am I such a failure, and why should I care if I drink? They left, I continued drinking until this past Sunday. So, here I am on day 4 for like the 10th time.

Before anyone asks, I've been afraid to let my parents know because of course I feel like a weak failure, and more so because telling them means everyone in my world will know. My mom can not keep a secret. So, my sisters, brothers in law, nieces and nephews will all know super reliable, trustworthy, stoic me is actually just an alcoholic. Yes, I know that is a stigma, but I know my family and I know that's how it'll go.

Eventually I will have to face it, just not sure if I am ready.

For now, one day at a time. Hope everyone else is having a good day.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:05 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

rmeat, you don't have to tell them you're an alcoholic. How about just, "You know, I decided to cut back for a while and I feel so good, I'm going to see how long I can do it!"

You can continue to say that - and it's honest - until oh, 2086. I'm sure they've seen you drink too much and it's common these days for people not to drink.

There's a lot of personal stuff my family didn't need to know.

I did tell them I thought I was an alcoholic. It was after I'd been sober a long time and I didn't really care what they thought about it.. They didn't even register it - and continued to offer me drinks for many years.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rmeatgt350 View Post
I've been afraid to let my parents know
Hi rmeatgt350, I wasn't keen to tell my parents either. They were probably the last to know that I've stopped drinking. I didn't say I was an alcoholic (I haven't said that to anyone, as I consider that a private problem, not a public issue), I gave them my standard line "I'm trying to be as healthy as possible."

Anybody who asked further questions has been told "I think my stomach is becoming more sensitive. Alcohol gives me diarrhea." So far that one word has stopped all further questions haha.

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Before anyone asks, I've been afraid to let my parents know because of course I feel like a weak failure, and more so because telling them means everyone in my world will know. My mom can not keep a secret. So, my sisters, brothers in law, nieces and nephews will all know super reliable, trustworthy, stoic me is actually just an alcoholic. Yes, I know that is a stigma, but I know my family and I know that's how it'll go.
rmeat just wondering if there is a reason to let them know right now or if it is just something that is gnawing at you and you want to say to them.

When you say it is such a stigma.... yes it is. Everywhere. For all the openness anymore about drugs, alcohol remains in the dark. The stigma had an effect on me. I know I have a problem... but it still is awkward admitting it to myself because of the picture it brings from society. I believe it will take a long time of sobriety for me to "come out" to anyone that I don't have to. I am terrified of people finding out at work. They are good people and I know that even so they would think differently about me because of the stigma surrounding any whisper of "an alcohol problem". Nobody comes out and says that. It's a job destroyer, a friend and family loser, and a crusher of self-esteem. I understand you not wanting your mom to spread it around. People treat people different even when they don't mean to. And to add to that people really think different about you when it's that you drove drunk, not just that you drink too much. Sorry, I'm ranting...my night isn't going so well. I am glad that you are back posting rmeat and also that even though you did drink you came back and have some sober days. And are being so self-aware. I think that says a lot.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:02 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi ya'll.

Wax - Maybe the legs are from the new work all of a sudden. Feet allergic from something there at work? The other day I was at my friend's house and went on the side yard to see the dogs. About 10 minutes later my feet were red and hot. I immediately washed them off and the redness & heat went away.

rmeat - the one glass usually ends up to the next day, next day, more the next day and so on. Amazing how we all know this yet we just think no biggie...just one will be fine I can handle it. I'm on day 15 for the third time here. But really, it could be day 15 for the 20th time, but idk....I really never tried giving it up (for real) until SR.

Viper - Maybe get an ace bandage and wrap your knee....or get a knee brace (the flexible type - I've used them and they really help).

Sooooo, anyway....I signed up to be a caregiver. Got TB tested and going for CPR certificate (although I already did this in the Army). I start Saturday. I didn't mention this until now because I really wasn't sure if I'd go through with it. My first day will tell me if this is something I really want to do. I'm starting off with one client 3 days per week, and then I can take it from there with others. My goal for now is to test it out for a couple of weeks and if it makes me happy and I love the job, I'll go full blast with it. Also going to market myself as a dog walker / cat sitter for the elderly. I hear it's a great career with excellent pay. I'm figuring out the stipend with perhaps 4 clients with animals to sit or walk for...and it's very doable to earn a good living. If anyone has any input or experience in this field, please chime in. I'm feeling positive about it...and I certainly somehow start stressing out every time I go online to apply for my usual Construction Project Coordinator position. Hoping I can make a career out of the caregiving/dog walking/ cat/dog sitting.

Good to read all the posts here. Hope everyone has a nice evening/morning/afternoon. Gonna be 19 degrees here soon. I luv it. Going down to get my daily hydro-massage and a hot cocoa from the coffee maker in clubhouse.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Lulu that makes me think I should get some Icy Hot. Either the sleeves or the spray. That stuff is a relief. I can wear an Icy Hot sleeve on my knee while walking around.

Made a stop at Bass Pro Shop today. O-M-G. For a guy that loves gadgets and knives and tools and gear, heavy duty outdoor clothes, the place is a humongous paradise. We must spent hours in there. Wow. I managed to escape the place with a new cap and a few other things. It’s hard to fit my bald head and they had the Under Amour caps in every size and color, like a wall of just those. I need the sun protection. Besides the pocket knives. My lord. Hundreds of different ones. I have a good one already, but you always want another. I bought a water filter filter that will screw onto a bottle top (most water bottles) and filter the water against any pathogens. It’s a 6 inch tube with a filter that works for about 100 gallons. It’s a fat filter straw. It also comes with a thick flexible plastic bottle/bag that you can fill with any water and and screw the tube onto. So no worries about clean water.

We’ll only used bottled water, but it’s a good thing to have. Very well thought out. A few odds and ends too. One trip to the drug store tomorrow and we are done prepping and just need to pack and spend the day at the beach.

More ibuprofen tonight for that knee and my other joints.

Ok it’s almost 9 and I’m beat. Time to go to bed.

Viper
Old 12-06-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad things are going well apart from the knee Vipe

D

Last edited by Dee74; 12-06-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Viper - Elevate your knee with a pillow and ice it tonight, then wrap it snuggly.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:19 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Just about to head out the door, so quick post from me.

rmeat... I found the only way for me to stay sober is to tell all my friends and family that I’m not drinking. Not doing this in the past failed me. Supportive friends will help me and ones who won’t care won’t invite me anywhere (less chance of me meeting them and drinking so I don’t mind).

I just wanted to be 100% clear with people this time. Therefore there’s less chance of them offering me drink. I was worried about the stigma too so I just said I can’t deal with the hangovers and I blackout too much when drinking.

Previous times I didn’t tell people, I feel it was because I wasn’t fully ready myself and perhaps scared of failing and how that would look to people. Or perhaps I still wanted to drink deep down. Your situation might be different though, I’m just stating what has been working this time for me. I wish you success either way,