Notices

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 5

Old 12-07-2017, 04:24 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

rmeat: Thank you for sharing that. We've all been there and done that. You listened to the lie of the enemy that you could control the raging beast that is alcoholism. Okay, it's over now. You now know even more deeply than you did before that you can't handle it. You'll be better prepared the next time the enemy starts feeding you his little lies. As far as not telling everyone, that's a personal choice and I think it's one that each of us must make in his or her own time.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Good Morning Folks.

Hoping everyone is well and having a peaceful day/afternoon/evening.

LuLu
Old 12-07-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Viper- I hope your knee is better today, that the ice and ibuprophen help.

Wax- I agree that I wonder if your leg pain is a product of your new job. I imagine you do a lot of kneeling and rising, maybe working muscles and tendons that havent been tested a lot lately.

Rmeat- welcome back. I can absolutely see myself doing the same thing. I was blindsided on one of my last slips, came home to a unexpected gathering and had a glass in my hand before I knew it. For a long time I never told anyone that I had an issue with wine, like others said there is the stigma, but mostly it just gave me an opening to start drinking whenever I wanted to, with no accountability, no one to say, oh look your drinking wine again I thought you stopped,,,

Need to get my day started, will check in later if work allows.

badge
Old 12-07-2017, 08:41 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Day 30

Hi everyone. Hope you are all doing well.

Well, today is Day 30 for me. I honestly didn't think I'd make it. (yeah, I reset the clock in early November).

Soulshine - your comment about the stigma of drinking and then people learning about the DUI and they think less of you - I felt/feel the same way. Only a handful of people close to me know about my DUI and all reacted with sympathy. That said, I would never tell a stranger or a new acquaintance. I do think a lot of people "look down on us" for that fact.

When I had to go get my drivers license when I moved, of course the question at the DMV was asked "have you ever had a DUI" and I was sooooo embarrassed to say yes. I was terrified it would cause a problem with my getting a new license (at that point it had been 4 years since the DUI). The DMV guy very matter of factly said "happens to a lot of people" and handed me my license. I was sweating bullets while standing in the line, thinking it was going to cause all sorts of problems/delays/etc. I almost couldn't breathe and felt so awful.

I just try not to think about stuff like that anymore. It's hard, but it is in the rear view mirror and I can't change it.

Anyway, hope all have a good rest of the week.

LHW
Old 12-07-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days, LHW.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thanks for advice on the knee folks. From my self diagnosis on the web I think the closest thing would be bursitis. It’s doing ok with inuprophen. But I’m afraid to push it. I used to get this and the Doc would say ‘it’s because of fluid in there, but I don’t know why it happens. It’s classic ‘Water on the Knee’ as we say. I’m not crying (yet anyway). It’s just tender.

A load of laundry while I pack up and we are ready to get up at 6am for a 2 hour drive across Florida to the Atlantic side and a 90 minute flight.

So if I don’t check in before the flight, I’ll be off the grid for a bit.

I write this from the beach really guy now. Good sun. I’ve got to soak my knees in salt water. It’s been about 82 with hot sun, humidity, but great breezes. Perfect. Not to make ya’ll jealous ;D b

V
Old 12-07-2017, 04:16 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 30 days LoveHateWhine
Old 12-07-2017, 07:24 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Ba bam!
Old 12-07-2017, 07:46 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Congrats LHW on the big Three Oh! and to everyone else who beat the AV today!

Since my slip in October I have kept myself away from any sort of gathering that involved wine, well I just found out that we have to spend the night at "the" house where the party was held. I am really hoping, and I do not believe that I did, embarrass myself to much, if at all. My memories are hazy, I know everyone was drinking, but I disappointed my husband so much, that well, I just wish I could just stick my head in the sand and it would all go away. It is like I am reliving it all over again. I am not worried about drinking, the thought terrifies me right at this moment. I just hope nothing is brought up about my actions of that night, I am all anxious and jittery at the thought, probably reading and projecting way to much into this, oh well, I haven't had a full blown anxiety melt down in awhile,, guess I am due,,,, sigh.

Badge
Old 12-08-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

LHW... nice to meet you and congrats on the 30 days.

badge... I really wish I could stick my head in the sand too! The reality is, people were probably as drunk and won’t remember much. I try and put myself in their shoes. If somebody was really drunk and made a fool of themselves at my house, I’d prob think about it once the next day and never again. At least next time you won’t make this mistake if you stay sober. It can be difficult to go to a party sober sober but you can do this. You may actually enjoy it.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

badge.... a chance to make a new memory to smudge away at the bad one. I have all the confidence in the world in you... go and shine
Old 12-08-2017, 03:56 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good weekend gang

D
Old 12-08-2017, 04:57 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Bad: Recommendation. If your behavior comes up just simply say "that's why I'm not drinking anymore and I'd really rather not talk about that." Done. Maybe hard to do but I would just make it clear that the discussion about a past fall is in no-go territory. Make your statement and move on.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your replies! Soul how perfect is that, make a memory and smudge out the old, I am going to do that, one bad memory at a time. thank you my friend!!

DoubleD you right on about them not remembering either, I guess i sometimes think that the world revolves around me and that everything I do is memorable, I never think twice about others and their actions I need to apply that forgiveness to myself also.

Getbetter- I like your reply also, a good mental mantra.

Wax- how are you feeling? did you go to the dr.?

LHW- congrats on the 30!

Badge
Old 12-08-2017, 07:21 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Was having a good day today, preparing for caregiving tomorrow thru next week, went to Ikea, market. Then BOOM. Hit me like a brick and sick in bed again. Going to urgent care after my 2 hr caregiving tomorrow. I'll just need to hold on for dear life to get thru the day. I wonder if this is a migraine....or some sort of allergy. Or something to do w hormones? I never did get the blood test for that. This is debilitating to say the least.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope they can get to the bottom of it LuluBread - it's been laying you low for a while?

D
Old 12-09-2017, 02:20 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Good morning family Was exhausted and went to bed early last nite to read so I woke up around 430 and decided to just go ahead and get up. Praying that after putting some more antifreeze in my car today that it stay in there and be ok. I had a pretty decent evening last nite for once and slept really good.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Soul - What's going on with the radiator?

Keeping it short here folks. I'm experiencing another episode of sickness. Yesterday was horrible. I woke up to a bloated....BLOATED stomach. Headache and dizzy. How wonderful this is happening today :-/ the first day I meet and care for my steady caregiving lady. I'm not negative, actually feeling positive but sick.

Be safe and enjoy the winter weather. It snowed here in Austin, Texas the other night!
Old 12-10-2017, 12:18 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Lulu... I hope you get to the bottom of whatever’s wrong with you. It sounds like a serious inconvenience. It’s snowing where I am too. Looks beautiful.

How is everybody else doing? It’s quiet around here today. Hope that just means everybody was enjoying their weekend.

Last night I was incredibly close to drinking. I had a long shift in work then somebody who I have become friends with in work asked me to go out for a few drinks. I didn’t go but it was a brutal struggle.

My AV was convincing me that I’ll never have a social life or make proper friends if I don’t head out and drink with people. It was strong and I was listening to it and agreeing. By the time I got home I couldn’t get a lift back in and was too tired, otherwise I would have gone for it. My AV said ‘screw Soberrecovery and just go back to drinking the odd time’. ‘How are you going to bond with friends or meet a girl otherwise?’

I guess my thinking is quite warped from drinking heavy since I was 14 or so, it’s gonna be harder than I thought to change my frame of mind, I’m really going to need a better plan for situations like this and particularly at the weekend.

I feel good today that I didn’t cave in. If only I could feel this feeling last night. Anyway, it’s six weeks for me today which is the longest I’ve gone. Hope the rest of everybody’s weekend is a good one.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:11 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey doubledee

I've just come back from a regular Sunday night meal - vegetarian Indian food, no alcohol - we always have a great time.

Your AV doesn't know Jack about living & having fun

D