Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #4

Old 12-20-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Ugh. I'm glad your son is okay. I had crippling migraines for 20 years. So I guess he really isn't okay but at least migraines only ruin your life slowly.

Triptans. I tried a lot of them and settled on Maxalt - it melts on the tongue and works fast. Really expensive.

I had to take several prophylactic daily meds to try to mitigate the number of migraines I got. So many side effects.

They tell me my paternal grandfather used to get "sick headaches" too. I bet they were migraines. He would have to retire to a dark room just like I had to.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Good news, Gil!
Old 12-20-2017, 04:27 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Got really sick trying to do weight loss plan I paid $$ for. Blood sugar when it bottoms out makes me pass out. Did so at work ( the day I got promoted)
Guess the isagenix cleanse is s killer for me. Been sick and dejected past 2 days. Lost track of what’s important.
Life’s not giving me a break right now- busy busy.
My quiet time consists of reading morning 24/7 reading, and praying w kids at night. My 2 gifts of sobriety, each day. They’re enough
Old 12-20-2017, 04:57 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I am glad that your son is facing migraines, Gilmer, and not something worse.

FBL, I am glad that your car wasn't too severely damaged and that no one was hurt. Will the insurance company pay to fix your car? Didn't you mention that you have an old Corolla?

Sorry things are so challenging right now JL. Sometimes, it's one step forward and two steps back, but knowing that you are slowly heading in the right direction.

Carlos, I kind of understand what you are going through with AA. I quite using Rational Recovery and it worked well for me. I enjoy the closeness one feels in the rooms with a bunch of folks recovering, but I still am having trouble fully accepting the idea of a higher power that I need to pray to in order to stay sober. No one can force me to pick up a drink except myself. Once I pick up, all bets are off and then I truly am powerless. I like how Rational Recovery and AA approach the problem of alcoholism from completely different ends of the spectrum. I think both have great ideas that can be used to further refine a newer hybrid cognitive behaviorist type therapy or rehab that includes group interactions and discussions in a room, as well as learning to recognize our Addictive Voices.

Very happy that Christmas is almost here and will be over soon. My wife has finally succumb to her family's stress about the holiday, and that will in turn make my life a mess the rest of the way. My family, including my kids, could care less about material things, as long as they have their phones, of course!

Have a good evening all!
Old 12-20-2017, 04:59 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  

I’m sorry the weight loss plan turned out to be too drastic, JL.

Are you doing better now?

My husband and youngest son worry me because they’ve been on Atkins for years (the reason they haven’t suffered ill effects is because they eat lots of “pseudo-diet” snacks that actually have plenty of carbs. In other words, they’re constantly compromising but are in total denial—and neither of them has lost any weight!).
Old 12-20-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I would be in full holiday madness mode if my schedule allowed it, but I’m pretty busy right now.

I’m in full work madness mode. We are extremely busy and bracing for an even busier January. And of course there’s hockey madness. Gilmer to answer your question earlier, two of the three kids are doing better, but that’s relative. I’m all tied up in knots about it. I recognize I shouldn’t be, but I am. I want to keep myself accountable.

I’m hosting family on Christmas Eve, which I enjoy very much. I’ve had years where I’ve had tons of time to plan and years where I’ve done it all last minute. This is turning out to be one of those “last minute” kind of years. I haven’t sent cards or finished shopping, and nothing is wrapped.

One of my friends offered to help wrap - but at her house, and lugging everything there would be a challenge. The offer is very kind, though, and I’m lucky to have friends who care. That loving offer alone is enough to make me change my perspective from “everything is hard” to “we are all interconnected.” All I really need is right under my nose but my alcoholic brain doesn’t always find it easy to see that.

Gilmer - I’m glad your son is making progress with his migraine diagnosis.

Fbl - Thinking of you as you work through your grief and memories of your father. Also, glad that you’re ok and your car isn’t too heavily damaged by the crash.

Jeni - Enjoy the time off.

Courage - I’m hoping the holiday celebrations leave you feeling less fetal position/more fun.

Carlos - I hope Santa brings you one of those state quarter maps so you can keep track of all the states you’ve dated.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:31 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Star, my initial quote for repairs is $1,500, but that could go higher once they start working on it. My insurance deductible is $250, so that's all that has to come out of my pocket. It's a 2010 Toyota Corolla, with 96,000 miles on it. I'm hoping to get at least 200,000 miles out of her before I start looking for a new one.

Today is our company holiday lunch. Fran wants to go to the local Mexican restaurant. I'm not crazy about Mexican food, but they have chicken and burgers too. The boss will be handing out the yearly bonus, so hoping for the best.

Have a great day, gang!
Old 12-21-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Good luck FBL!!
Old 12-21-2017, 07:22 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  
p***enger

FBL -- bad news on the car accident. I'm glad you're ok but sorry about your car!

JL -- I'm glad you're off that diet. Too extreme!

Today and yesterday have been busy. I went to a movie! That's 2 movies in 2017. Wow!
Old 12-21-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

What movie was it? Give us a review!
Old 12-21-2017, 11:35 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I'm with you Glee. I just don't have any time for holiday madness because my job is holiday madness.

Last day of getting up at 2:30 am for work. Tomorrow, I work until midnight or so. Easy to be a grinch this season, lol!

I hope you had a good Mexican meal FBL and were rewarded well for working seven days a week.

Safe travels to anyone hitting the road before the holiday.

Have a great day all!
Old 12-22-2017, 01:57 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Stay sane, SG!

Treat yourself once the crunch time is over!
Old 12-22-2017, 03:35 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Had a nice meal yesterday. I hate Mexican food, so went with the "Gringo Special" which was grilled chicken breast with fries. The deserts were the best part. I had a huge hunk of chocolate cake and helped a co-worker finish his fried ice cream. The boss was pretty generous this year, so will put part of that towards my car repairs.

Today marks 8 years and 6 months sober. So grateful for every minute!

Have a great Friday, all!
Old 12-22-2017, 03:44 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your milestone, FBL.

D
Old 12-22-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on both counts FBL!
Old 12-22-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  
p***enger

The movie was The Greatest Showman and pretty silly with a lot of awkward off-period musical numbers, but 100% cheerful. The best part: two 60-year old ladies bopping around in their front-and-center seats and positively dancing while the credits rolled.

Yesterday an old croney (emphasis on crone) and I went to Brighton Beach 'cause she wanted lattkes and Russian chocolates, and then we walked along the boardwalk to Coney Island as the sun set. Shortest day of the year.

Today I strolled down 5th Avenue to buy Swiss chocolates as a donation to my sister’s Christmas brunch from my Swiss-in-law son. Day after tomorrow I fly west to see the quail and verdin and mountains.

In short, I’m fairly well in the spirit of things. January may be challenging, but it’s not January yet. I’m a very lucky person.

Warning: much blather follows.

I would have had 5 years of sobriety a few days ago. Though I lost about a month, my first start on sobriety is somehow more important to me than my restart date. My will took me on a solid run until I couldn’t run anymore, and now I’m just trotting along, following – what?

Carlos, you said something about being a little ‘off’ AA – the God talk, for one. When I was going to meetings, I didn’t mind the God talk, except when I minded the person who was doing the talking Usually because I was too busy judging them than trying to understand their experience I actually enjoy God-talk generally. I love other people’s faith, and find the Lord’s Prayer very helpful. Atheist and nihilist though I still am, I’ve taken to saying it daily.

As for who puts the principles into practice, of course it’s you. The idea that when you practice the principles:
“I'm just having a hard time feeling that it's not me that puts them in practice....if that makes sense?”
But why should that stand in the way of your commitment to the AA fellowship, if it’s helped you so much?

I see the principles of AA as just ordinary decency. The amazing thing is that some of us drunks can practice simple decency, ever. For me, decency doesn’t come natural, and when I conjure up a reasonable thought, it’s still a big surprise.

For instance, I’ve prided myself that I'm practically an adept at taking action without attachment to the goal. Very good Hinduism, I thought, straight out of Krishna’s mouth. Except I forget the key part – it’s supposed to be virtuous action. Using non-attachment as a rationale to do nothing is food for the worser qualities in the soul. It took a conversation with my little movie-partner about not-eating garlic and mushrooms to give me that insight!

How fixed are ignorance and delusion in an alcoholic like me!

I have almost a half-century’s karma piled up from vicious actions without regard for consequences, without regard for loss or harm to my self or others. Honestly, though I accept my “me”, I can’t trust it or take pride in it, and the best things I put into practice are those I’ve adopted from here, AA, and from better people than I’ll ever be. That sounds … I don’t know… not true… but it’s true.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Courage - My innate responses to situations aren’t often the “right” ones. I have to think before I act if I’m going to behave decently. The effort involved beats the self loathing that comes from behaving impulsively.

Carlos - I find it helpful to use AA’s principles to guide my recovery. The God talk isn’t all that intense here in New England, and the little bit of religion that people share is not only palatable but also usually pretty inspiring.

I haven’t made a meeting in months. My schedule doesn’t allow it, not if I want to live a full life that I quit drinking for!

Still, when I am disturbed, I can go back to looking at my expectations and my acceptance, and see that my frustration is all ego-based, just like in the early days of my recovery when I went to more AA meetings.

Did I ever tell you that I found out that my sponsor never had a sponsor?! She and another woman who she befriended who started AA around the same time are each other’s guides. Have been for the last 15 years. I don’t think they’re doing it any less correctly than anyone else.

I’m not giving up on something that has made such a positive impact on my life just because I can’t follow it to the letter right now.

It’s been a busy month, and I haven’t had the opportunity to prepare for Christmas as much as I’d like. I even have to work tomorrow. But it’s important for me, especially when I’m busy, to remember why I’m sober! Now I’m going to finally start wrapping presents!!!!

Have a good day everyone!
Old 12-22-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  
p***enger

Have fun wrapping, glee -- I can tell you're a person for making every minute count!
Old 12-23-2017, 03:33 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I don't do AA, but I've read up on it and understand how the steps work. My Dad got sober with AA in 1983 and he stayed with the program for about 10 years. He never told me why he left, but he remained in recovery for the rest of his life (21 years). I'm not a particularly spiritual person and I'm not big on organized religion, but I do believe that most people are inherently good. I was taught the Golden Rule and take it seriously. I didn't always live up to it, especially when my addiction was raging, but I try to live by it today. A little kindness and understanding goes a long way and I believe that what I give to others in that department comes back to me.

Have a great Saturday, all!
Old 12-23-2017, 05:46 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Very thought provoking posts here. My brain is too tired to formulate any kind of articulate response right now.

Doing some last minute running around. The holiday stress finally cracked my wife and I'm trying to walk on eggshells around her and be helpful, but it's a yearly tradition. And with two almost teens in the house, there is never a shortage of drama.

Working until midnight tonight, then gassing up the car for holiday travels. We will spend a good chunk of Christmas Eve visiting my father in law in the dementia unit where he resides full time. It is difficult seeing someone who was highly intelligent and loved the arts and a regular AA attendee since getting sober 25-30 years ago not even be able to recognize family on some days. I think he would be proud if he knew that I had quit drinking.

We do Christmas morning at my sister in laws, then Christmas afternoon and dinner my parents. Then it's back to work for me early the day after Christmas. I guess that's why I never really enjoy this holiday.

Enjoy your days all!