Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 13

Old 04-26-2018, 04:08 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

That's great news with the new job Inc! I hope that Staple's is a good match for you and your job skills. It's nice that they are willing to keep you close by.

Congrats Amp on three years! Someone asked me if I missed drinking, and I said that I don't miss all the unfortunate drama that drinking created in my life. But I would give my left arm to be able to drink "normally" like other people. Not that I know what normal is. It is a strong reminder that I will always be an addict.

Have a good day all!
Old 04-26-2018, 05:43 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

I've been riding a wave of good fortune lately. I've been doing work to be more thankful. Especially being thankful for God. At least what I feel God is at the moment: source energy.

Started a few weeks ago by "forcing" myself to thank God throughout the day. The more I practiced, the easier it got and the more I found to be thankful for.

The last couple weeks have been amazing. Feels like everything is going my way. The funny thing is, the car I've been using broke down. Had to replace the starter for $300. Money that I could use to move out of my brother's.

Despite that, I've been able to be thankful. First off... For having a car at all! My brother inherited my dad's 95 Mustang GT convertible and he's been letting me use it since November.

Been pretty cool driving with the top down on these precious warm days that we've had a few times.

Super thankful for that. $300 is a small price to pay. We'll that, and gas. This thing gets about 12mpg :/

I've been reading nearly every day anything related to the Law of Attraction. I'm reforming my mind so I feel as though I'm living in abundance.

Seems to be working.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:27 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Convertible Mustang? Sounds like something I could put faith in
Old 05-03-2018, 04:52 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Finally got to crank "More Rain than Shine." Great song with powerful lyrics. You do sound like a 70's Dylan. I am digging back into the 1975 live Dylan tours with Rolling Thunder Revue. He assembled an amazing cast of musicians for these shows and he was probably at the height of his performing powers then. Dylan tunes lend themselves well to Brits singing. I don't know if you heard Brian Ferry's album a few years back of Dylan covers. I really enjoyed that, but I was always a big Roxy Music fan too!

I have been super busy at work. Just added scheduling responsibilities to my task list. Now I have 70 people whom will be asking me for last minute days off all the time. I have always found schedule writing to be very political. I will rearrange the schedule to give you a day off for a party, but you owe me when I need you to work when shorthanded type of thing. I will get to know who has bowling league every other Tuesday, among a myriad of other personal things in everyone's lives.

Is your year starting to wind down Amp? I am glad that you were able to keep the business afloat during these trying times. Do you have solid plans for the upcoming year this autumn?

Inc, you must be getting excited to start the new job. I was in my local store the other day and it looks good, fully stocked and staffed. I think they are kind of Last Man Standing verse Amazon. I sincerely hope that this job is a great fit for you and provides the stability you need to continue growing and moving forward.

Hi OMD!

Best wishes for a good day all!
Old 05-06-2018, 01:20 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Hey SG! We're pretty busy at work. Opened pre-enrollment for 2018-19 last week and we've closed a couple of deals to do in-house work in companies and schools which is keeping me busy. Still losing money but hoping to tighten up in September and get back into the black. It's not far away. Just me a couple of things to go my way. Maybe they will this time! Staying positive!

How about you guys? Do you know where you're going to be posted Inc? What's your workload like, SG? Still on the road a lot OMD?

Thanks for the kind words about the song. In the studio tomorrow to put down the last track. Happy days!
Old 05-08-2018, 04:57 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Amp, I am glad that the recording sessions are going well. Also happy that you are staying busy at work, though making money would be nice! Hopefully the groundwork you are laying now will pay dividends next fall.

Inc, what's going on with the new job? Were you assigned a store yet?

Finally had a nice day on a day off yesterday, so I did a 15 bike ride through the woods. I love seeing nature up close as I glide by. The ducks and deer just look up bemused as I encroach through their world for a moment. I love the exercise, though my backside is a wee sore this morning.

Have a good day all!
Old 05-08-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 05-14-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

What's going on guys? You all have been rather quiet.

Inc, I know that you must have a story or two to spill.

I hope things are well for everyone!
Old 05-14-2018, 02:39 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

I'm good, SG! Busy at work, busy at home and feeling bad because I didn't answer your last post!!!

We finished the record last week! My fifth!!! Nice to have it done after over a year! I'm really pleased with it. I want to bring it out on vinyl but there are moans and groans about the cost and that most people don't have record players. I don't think people even play CDs anymore so it's about bringing out a cool package that people who care about the music would like to take away... So anyway, we'll see. It's not a big deal.

Hope you guys are all well. Let's hear those stories, Inc!!!!
Old 05-14-2018, 04:23 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats Amp
Hi SG

D
Old 05-14-2018, 10:36 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! How's your music coming along?
Old 05-15-2018, 05:19 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Amp

been getting into engineering more lately, but I still have a blues band and some guys I work on originals with, and do the odd session job.

I work as much as I like, which suits me fine

wouldn't be dead for quids as we say down here

D
Old 05-15-2018, 05:24 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hi Dee! I second Amp's question. Are you getting the time to play your music that you wanted and needed these days? I certainly hope so!

Congrats on the album completion Inc! It must be hard deciding how to release music these days. I don't think many folks buy music at all, except perhaps streaming it. I know vinyl is all the rage amongst the hipster element here these days. I will admit that I miss the "warm" sound of vinyl that was never replicated by CD's. But I used to clean each album side, use an anti static gun, and clean the stylus continually when playing records. I often taped a new album to cassette so that the album wouldn't get prematurely scratchy. It was a lot of work, and I for one was happy to buy my first CD player in the mid 1980's! I finally sold my 1981 Technics semi automatic turntable and my remaining 200 records a few years back, as they sat unused in my basement for 18 years. I simply plug my phone into my stereo or my car when I want to hear my music!

I've been deep into my head recently, very introspective for some reason. I have been watching more Youtube videos from Dr Kevin McCauley covering different aspects of addiction. The actual brain chemistry behind our addictions is both fascinating and scary at the same time. I hit a noon time AA meeting yesterday. Though I have zero urge to drink, I always feel uplifted spending an hour with fellow addicts. Though I don't follow the AA line on some of their ideology, hearing stories of folks recovering from difficult rock bottoms and making a life for themselves is an amazing thing. Not unlike what happens here on SR.

I have to go vote and then try to cut part of my lawn before going to work this afternoon.

Best wishes for a good day all!
Old 05-15-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah - I have to knock some stuff back because as much as I enjoy music the late nights etc it can exhaust me too and leave me poorly if I take on too much.

I usually knock back the mixing jobs over the playing tho

To think of where I was 11 years ago and now knocking work back- it's a miracle

D
Old 05-20-2018, 06:38 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

So my oldest son is graduation next week. My mom is in town now. She is unable to attend the graduation so instead took us to an indoor water park over the weekend (Kalahari). Was a good time. I especially enjoy being around my two boys and my mom. The three people I love more than anything or anyone.

My son is so friken smart, it's mind blowing. Besides being an A student, he's very emotionally mature. He is leagues ahead of me in many ways. I'm so proud.

Thank God my ex remarried to an awesome guy and thank God he makes decent money. Thanks to my ex and him, he's going to college. I can't help at all.

I feel down about that peiordically, but mostly I'm just grateful. On that note, I've had a complete mind shift happen a few weeks ago where now I'm grateful most of the time. Been an amazing experience on that front.

All started when I was on the phone with my mom. I was depressed as balls at the time. Really bad. During this call, I was telling a story about this cool cat my brother has that hangs out with me a lot. My mom casually said "awe... What an awesome gift from God".

That stuck with me. Really struck a chord. I told her that as well and said that's my problem.... I'm not seeing God's gifts. Im not appreciating what I do have, only focused on what I don't.

So starting the next day, I started practicing gratitude. I'd make a list each night and spent a minute or so on feeling that gratitude. I'd work on feeling it as deep and genuine as I could.

That practice expanded beyond bedtime to day time where I would take a break from my stresses and just be grateful for a bit. Then that expanded to actually being grateful for things as they happened. I just became more aware of all the awesome things that was happening.

Magic started happening ever since. I now firmly believe that good things are going to happen to me, because good things have been happening ever since I had that mind shift.

My new job as amazing. All my experiences have prepared me for this job. I am absolutely going to do great things with this company.

I also found an apartment. I'm going as cheap as I can to pull myself together for a couple years. I found a pretty nice efficiency unit in a nice complex. I'm actually very excited.

I could be bummed out only being able to afford a tiny apt like that, or for being alone and single. But instead, I'm grateful. And I'm finding that the more I'm grateful, the more good the universe sends my way.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:44 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Taking time to take stock and dwell on life's positives is an in valuable way of changing a downward spiral into an upward one. Sometimes a small change in perspective is all you need
Old 05-21-2018, 03:35 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to your son IC - congrats to you too - sounds like you're leaving the old ways behind and getting your life together

D
Old 05-21-2018, 11:17 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on your son graduating and heading to college Inc!

Sounds like you are really getting things together in your life Inc. Now- DON'T SCREW IT UP! It seems at times over the past three years that you have self sabotaged yourself after a period of growth and progress. Keep your eye on the prize and keep clean! It makes me really happy to see you in good spirits once again.

Spending the afternoon at the auto dealership getting a bunch of work done on the car in order to pass inspection. It's a beautiful day here, and I rather be doing almost anything else. I least I brought my laptop and am catching up here on SR. Oh, and I did a ten mile bike ride earlier this morning. It is all about choosing our attitudes and making the most of our situations, isn't it?

Talk to ya all soon!
Old 05-25-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I took a couple of days off to help get ready for our annual BBQ picnic that we jointly hold with my in laws next door neighbors. My wife and I were married in our back yard this coming weekend 19 years ago, and the party started as a yearly celebration/reminder of our anniversary. Over the years, it's become this huge thing deal with over 125 folks stopping by some years, and people camping in tents overnight on the grounds. We have been going more low key the past few years, and I am almost hoping to let the tradition fade away. We worry that even if we decided to stop hosting this BBQ, half the people would just automatically show up anyway, as they have for the past 18 years. During my drinking days, I would start drinking in the morning and some years continue to sun up the following morning, drinking around the bonfire. I guess I will see how I feel about the event this year and make decisions about it continuance afterwards. It's a ton of work to set up, and manning a grill for long periods of time. This year, they are calling for thunderstorms throughout the day. However, it is also the only time of the year that I get to see certain folks. It's funny how with sobriety, some things that were such highlights of my year have suddenly become more work than play, and I no longer fully enjoy. With sobriety, however, if I don't have my heart into something, I feel more free to speak my opinions, and not worry about angering others. If it doesn't work for me, I will let you know now instead of just going along and burying my opinions.

I can't remember if I mentioned that my wife was rear ended last weekend while stopped at a traffic light. She fortunately is fine. We were given a rental SUV with 40 miles on it, so she is pretty stoked. She is in no hurry for her car to get fixed and returned to us.

Inc, did you end up at a store near where you currently live? Are you willing to relocate if asked?

Amp, when does your latest album get released? Will it be available to stream?

Guess I should get to work. My yard is a veritable jungle, as we have basically had ten days of rain and cloudy weather in a row.

Have a great weekend guys!
Old 05-25-2018, 06:41 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Hey SG! If you want to let the BBQ thing drop, you could announce this one as the Grand Finale to make sure that the people who normally go are aware that this is the last one?

The album will be available on Spotify, etc when it comes out so I'll pm you guys a link. In the meantime here's one of my favourites

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x5f-SjUdEfRv52Q8J2kf5Vvsxl8wMc0v/view?usp=drivesdk

I was wondering about the store too Inc. How's it shaping up?

Glad to hear your wife is ok, SG. Enjoy the new SUV!