# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of April 2015 Part 13

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-12-a-20.html

D
Old 07-25-2017, 04:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Been a while since we started a new thread on here! Thanks Dee!
Old 07-25-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Best wishes for a relaxing vacation Dee!

Thanks for the new thread!

Amp, opioid abuse is rampant here. People get strung out on percocets and Oxycontin, then switch to a cheap snortable heroin when their prescriptions run out. The Republican plan to cut 24 million people from health insurance is running into opposition from many Republican governors whose states are facing an opioid crisis and would lose millions in Federal government funding to help their citizens. I think I remember reading somewhere that every dollar spent helping folks fight addiction saves forty dollars down the road in medical and court costs. It is truly money well spent. The heartlessness of the privileged elite here is mind numbing.

At any rate, I hope things are progressing with your lives. Guess you are gearing up for the fall very quickly approaching Amp. There must not be any down time as a business owner.

Summer used to be a somewhat slower period in my work, but we have been short staffed for so long that it has almost become the new norm. It starts to grind down even the most motivated after a while. No lazy days of summer here.

Inc, I hope that you are continuing your daily meeting schedule.

Has anyone heard privately from OMD? I see that he hasn't been on SR in well over a month. He was sounding very stressed in his most recent posts. I hope all is well with him.

Have a good day all!
Old 07-25-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm concerned about OMD too... No news at my end, I'm afraid...

I'm going on holiday for a few weeks in August so looking forward to disconnecting from my work. The pace slows down in July but I still have my head in the office. A little bit nervous about intake for next year. Early signs are positive but after we got steam-rollered last year I'm not counting any chickens.

Hope you guys are able to chill a little over the summer!
Old 07-25-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Amp... The US is a scary place to live right now. I'm not surprised by the police man's statement. Most definitely not surprised it came from my home state in Ohio.

Ohio is the center of the Bible Belt here in the states. Very conservative views. And also bullish.

It is in my opinion that the states will not remain a world superpower for much longer. It's inevitable anyway. History has proven that power shifts

It seems as though the states really don't care 4 the people. At least not in the right ways. Or in the ways that I personally think wood help the states continue growth.

It just seems there's simply too much focus on money. That's it, nothing else matters at the end of the day. The United States has built an Empire made of Styx.

Excuse the grammar, I am using speech to text. Why it would convert sticks to Styx is beyond me.

Honestly, when you look at the big picture, and I mean the really big picture of life, its meaning, and its purpose. Money has nothing to do with life. Nothing.

There was a time, when religion was open, shared, and accepted for the most part. Those days are long gone. Nowadays, everyone refers to "God, or the universe, what ever you believe in"

Universe? Really? IDK. And meanwhile we live in a society where religion is not even suggested that much. Spirituality is not promoted at all or used to guide the country, states, towns, families, individuals.

All the problems are due to money issues and app the solutions are money related. The priorities are money based. They may talk about a social issue like drug addiction, but the problem and solutions are usually money focused. Addicts are treated as broken individuals, not a symptom of the system.

A system, by the way, that has developed with only money as concern. How can we treat people and spend less money, how can we treat people and make a crap ton of money, how can we protect doctors from being sued, how can we help those without money get medical care. On and on and on.

We are in the beginning of a real epidemic I think. I say beginning because the country isn't approaching this from the source of the problem. It's blind, or refuses to admit, it's the big pharma system that created it.

It's going to get worse until that system is replaced. Meanwhile, big pharma is looking for ways to treat the addicted, so they can make even more money.

I don't know what the answer is. I only feel we are heading into self destruction because we are letting money, and our egos guide us, rather than God, or the universe, what ever you believe in
Old 07-26-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

We kind of share the same view of the country Inc. It depresses me everyday. I hope that I live long enough to see the pendulum swing back to the days where America wanted to create a "Great Society" and send men to the moon.

Just like us as recovering addicts, this country needs to learn to dream big once again.

Have a good day all!
Old 07-28-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

NA continues to blow my mind. Last night was the best meeting so far. There were 15 of us, 12 of which were in my age range and half of those appeared to be professional. If course they all may, just judging the book by the cover, even though my cover didn't look professional.

There were easily 3 sponsor opportunities, which says a lot. Those are people I can connect with easily and respect what they say or suggest.

The concept overall is amazing. The first 10min or so, people read statements/daily reminders: what is NA, the steps to freedom, why we are there, recovery is possible, and a few more.

Then there's a topic that might be from a pamphlet, or book, or there might be a chosen speaker who shares their experience.

Of course the topic is always informative and eye opening. Afterwards, everyone takes a turn to share about that subject.

Last night, for example, we read a page and a half from a book "living clean" or something like that. The topic was about staying to the main principles (of NA in this case), sharing, and the newbie being the most important person in a room as they teach or remind the Vets to most.

15 people shared their views on what it was like early on for them and how much they've grown, or how important the principles are to them and is the glue that holds it all together.

One guy talked about giving his number out. He's probably 60yrs old and clean for over 30 years. He said he learns the most from those who call him and begged people to call him any time...for his own sake. Really put it in perspective as we tend to not want to bother others with our issues.

Another guy shared how he fights thinking he knows all the answers, or how to solve his problems because nobody other than himself knows what he has to struggle with or understand them as well. He's 30 days clean after having 4 years clean before. He stopped going because he thought he knew it all.

Another guy, who appeared to be very smart, shared his much better his life has been once he fully accepted he doesn't know the answers, and NA serves as a reminder because he too learns something every time. He said amazing things happen when you open your mind to learning rather than closing the door because you know it all.

One lady said something powerful.... That addiction is a dis-ease. It's a dis-ease of feelings and to be at ease, we need to give up the grip we have on our feelings and felt the 12 steps were specifically addressing feelings like love, forgiveness, getting over regret, etc.

Look at your own experiences here. We are just a small group and all along the way, we shared our experience with a slightly different perspective. The sum of those views is what each of us observed and grew from.

IDK....
It's awesome is all I can say. I wish I had gone earlier because I'm seeing that I've been living an addict lifestyle since I was 15 or so without any time off. I might have been off drugs for years at a time, but the core addictive behaviors and thought processes were alive and strong.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I am loving the positivity coming from you Inc! I feel that you are capable of great things when you are helping and not secretly sabotaging yourself by giving your addictions a voice. I hope that you can get a sponsor soon so that you will have someone to bounce ideas off of immediately.

Enjoy the day all!
Old 07-30-2017, 12:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Just a quick wave before hitting the shower and heading to work.

I hope you guys have a good Sunday!
Old 07-30-2017, 01:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You too, SG! Glad to hear the NA meetings are working out so well, Inc!

Enjoy the day, all!
Old 07-30-2017, 10:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome day yesterday. NA regional put together a 3 day camping and pig roast event at a sweet camp ground nearby. Took my fiance with me. She got to meet some awesome guys I've met on my journey so far.

Picture perfect day weather wise. Literally could not of asked for anything better. We watched a volleyball tourney for a while. Walked around and met some people. She seemed to enjoy it and said it was a nice time and they are nice people.

It reminds me of being drunk at a party. There's a bunch of other drunk people and therfore you share something in common. There's no fear to approach strange people. I can literally walk up to a stranger, introduce myself, and give a hug.

Which is what exactly I did a couple times. I saw this guy that looked cool and thought I could relate with. Walk up, say my name and that I'm an addict, then they always reach out to hug. No hand shakes... Ever.

Even if sitting in a chair. They'll get up to hug you.

Super thankful for the day. Glad I'm an addict.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
OMD

Note

Hello guys,
Sorry I have been away and thank you for the well wishes. Inc, I am so glad you were able to reach out here and I am sorry I wasn't one of those who were here for you. I hope you continue to recover in the same strong spirit. You are most definitely on the right track my friend. Amp, I am sorry that you had some serious crap at work and that you feel outside your social group, but you have a very positive mindset which will carry you through. Who knew you could get your apartment fixed up! SG you seem to have a calm state of mind which is nothing more than you deserve. You have got your life back, and you only get one shot at life. Commitment and discipline - good work! D, forever supportive - I hope you had a great vacation - you are a good man.

So what brings me here? Well, although I have been out of sight none of you has been out of mind. So I have been here throughout, just not visibly. And in terms of showing up visibly, well I hope late is better than never. Thank you for being here.

Things have been mixed, but ultimately not mixed up I suppose. I am sober but sometimes I am not out of the woods, whereas sometimes I truly cannot imagine why I would want to drink. The last time I picked up a beer was yesterday, but I didn't drink it. I never do. Odd huh. Anyway, things are a bit complex for me but I have been trying to figure a few things out. I finally managed to achieve a major personal milestone that I had set myself some time ago, which is fantastic and life affirming. I also have worked out the value of many things and concluded that it is zero. Don't focus on wealth focus on health. Been reading a lot. A LOT. Meditating is also back in my life. My work is keeping me up at night and away from home for spells but I think that part is all fine.

I have been reading a lot about diet, modern medicine, pharma companies and their sponsorship of well known health societies that promote misconceptions in society. About modern society and about how we are killing ourselves. And I am not some kind of raving lunatic who believes that greater power comes from hugging carrots or whatever. Just that we humans have really got it so tragically wrong. Then I get onto my own wasted time, harm and suffering caused, and all of that. Oh boy.

Here is what I have found. Once you figure out that the problem really is you, and only you, and that you want to solve things for you, you can fix the problem. Then comes the issue of moving on in terms of who you are. You have to leave the old guy in the past while the new you embraces the future and lives life with passion. Until you find out what drives you, what makes you want to get up in the morning, your social circle will remain the same or be non existent. When you find out what it is that you want, you can go for it with those similar people who will also not drink or whatever. Art, chess, walking, whatever. I had a non alcoholic beer the other day because it was literally the only thing available where I was, and I was desperately thirsty in a hot tent and I wanted to stay. An ex con was talking about how he turned his life around. Inspirational stuff. I was indifferent to the fact it was beer. If you are where you want to be your past doesn't have to define you.

Anyway I am rambling as usual. Thank you for allowing me to say hello - I miss you all.

Best wishes

OMD
Old 07-30-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey OMD! I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say how good it is to hear from you and, above all, to hear that you are well. My relationship with booze is similar to yours in that a lot of the time I have absolutely no compulsion to drink and am incredibly grateful to be free of the curse, but occasionally I can feel the "****-it,-who-cares" side of my personality trying to fight to the fore. I have strategies to protect myself but I, like you, know that it is still there and in all probability, won't be going anywhere in a hurry. In difference to you, I drink alcohol-free beer all the time. That or tonic water. I find other soft drinks too sweet.

Also like you, in recent months I have dedicated a fair bit of time to working out what is important. I feel that I have been too driven by status and image in my life. These are things that don't matter much to me anymore. Depending on what happens next year, the company I started and built up over 15 years may fold. The great thing is that I now realise that I'm not overly concerned about that. I'm going to do my best to salvage the situation, and I know there is a big responsibility that goes together with running a business to your staff and clients, but on a personal level I am quite peaceful. Like you say, the most important thing is health and, also for me, being caring, giving and consistent. I despair sometimes with the state of the world and my only answer is to do the best I can in my own sphere of influence in the hope that maybe it will catch on and spread! I can't think of another way!

Anyway, once again, I can't stress enough how great it is to hear from you.

Take care all!
Old 07-30-2017, 08:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi guys - back on deck - hope everyone's doing ok.

For me I guess I was lucky in a way that I fell so low to begin with. It's harder to be all '**** it who cares' when you pull yourself out of that

I'm also blessed in that I've built a pretty neat life for myself now - the only one who can really screw it up is me - and I'm determined not to do that.

I guess what I'm saying is don't doubt you're all on the the right road - I don't

D
Old 07-31-2017, 01:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

OMD, it is great to see you again mate! Beautiful post that summarizes your state of mind.
"If you are where you want to be, your past doesn't have to define you."

That is one of the wiser things I have ever read on SR, and it's something to always keep in mind. I am happy that you didn't actually drink the beer in hand, but concerned that you are walking right up to the edge of the cliff and challenging yourself like that. I feel that if any of us actually pick up again, we will be off in the wild again for quite a while, and that thought helps keep me sober. Best wishes!

Welcome back Dee! I hope that you enjoyed your mini vacation!

Enjoy the day all!
Old 07-31-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
OMD

Thank you. You're all good people.

Best wishes

OMD
Old 08-02-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

I'm also blessed in that I've built a pretty neat life for myself now - the only one who can really screw it up is me - and I'm determined not to do that.
This is a beautiful sentiment Dee.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Got a call from my sister yesterday as I was heading into work that my Mom was rushed to the hospital. She awoke with the room spinning uncontrollably around her and she couldn't stand up. She was able to have a normal conversation when I went to see her last night. The hospital was going to do an MRI last night. I am hoping that it is just some kind of inner ear issue, and not a stroke.

I am so happy that I don't drink anymore and can deal with life with a clear head.

I hope all is well enough with you guys!
Old 08-04-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Continued best wishes for your mom DSG - hows she going?

D
Old 08-04-2017, 09:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

How's Mom SG?