Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 13

Old 10-01-2018, 10:50 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

I drive a 2006 Toyota, SG. Had it since it was new and has never given me any trouble! Sounds like a good solid purchase!

I'm in physiotherapy these days due to a spur on my heel. It's like an awkward bit of irregular shaped bone that has grown onto the sole of my foot and inflames everything whenever I try to run on it. Got an X ray and ecography done yesterday so when I see the doctor today, hopefully I'll get some news about what (if anything) can be done. I certainly miss being able to do a bit of running!

Was out at a beach bar at the weekend. End of season party. Can't get into the vibe at this kind of stuff anymore. Doubt I ever will. My wife seems really anxious for me to be having a good time and gets pissed off if she thinks I'm not! I guess I'm not very good at pretending though I do try. Need to stop looking at my watch!!

Anyway, hope you guys are well
Old 10-02-2018, 06:19 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I look back at the socializing that I used to do when still drinking, and I think it was mostly a more acceptable excuse to consume alcohol than to really interact with others. After a few drinks, there was little intelligent conversation involved anyway. And I would not remember anything the next day even if there was.

I hope they can fit you for special running shoes Amp. Or will surgery be a possible option? Not that you have the time to be limping around for weeks!
Old 10-03-2018, 07:40 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Yeah D... Generally speaking I prefer real stores too. But man... I cannot deny that Amazon is suuuper convenient AND saves money many times.

Amp... I'm with you brother. Amazon IS going to take over the world. Seriously.

There's a way to go yet though. I'm seeing different numbers flowing around, but amazon had 178billion in revenue last year. That's BILLION! Crazy. Walmart however had over 400 Billion!

I believe food is what drives Walmart. And by Amazon entering the food industry via Whole foods, I believe we'll see a shift in that world in the future.

I went to Whole Foods the other day for the first time actually. I was impressed. I'm buying more and more organic foods as part of my keto diet. Saw lots of opportunity to save some coin there. But it's really far, so I'd have to buy for weeks at a time.

I still need to check out Sam's Club which I'm doing tomorrow. I've been there often in the past, but now that I'm looking for organic eggs and salmon that wasn't grown in a farm, I want to see if they'll be a good option instead.

The range of foods I've eaten has shrunk considerably, so the volume of what I do buy and eat is big enough to offset the yearly fee. Maybe. I'll see tomorrow.

And yeah.. SG.. Toyota is awesome. That car is barely 1/3 through its life. Just make sure all the 100k stuff is done. And done right.

Every single fluid must be changed out preferably with GOOD fluids and not cheapo 15min lube shop crap.

You can expect to drop about $300-500 in that car if you had the dealer give it a good once over between the plugs, fluids, belts, etc.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:52 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Those are crazy numbers Inc.

First week with reduced hours and all kinds of things are falling through the cracks at the store. Can’t say I’m surprised in the least.

How is business progressing Amp?
Old 10-05-2018, 02:03 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Well, I'm cautiously confident about our numbers here. I think I mentioned that by the end of this month the important numbers were:
800: Good year.
750: Passable
700: Still struggling but better
650: We go to the wall

Last night we closed in 694 and we still have nearly 4 weeks to get into more comfortable territory. We have a new campaign going out to celebrate our 15th anniversary (this month) with important discounts for new clients, so if that has an impact we should be ok. In previous years over this period we've closed 50-100 deals so it's early to say whether the year will be decent or not, but it looks like we may stop haemorrhaging cash.

So yep...quietly and very cautiously confident. I have a good team around me now. I think that since I have got deeper into my sober life I have become much more discerning about the people I surround myself with.

Wishing you all a grand weekend!
Old 10-05-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good weekend guys

D
Old 10-06-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Those numbers look encouraging Amp! I really hope that you can get to your goal number.

Thanks Dee! You too!
Old 10-08-2018, 03:23 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Thinking of you Inc as our store has the dreaded twice a year inventory this Wednesday. Fortunately, I am not part of it nor running it this time around. Our store had an almost impossibly good result last time, so that usually means a severe regression to the mean the following one. My boss will be unbearable this week.

Have a good Monday all!
Old 10-11-2018, 08:00 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Today is my Monday, and I am working a week of closing shifts again. Blah...

Spent my weekend planting some trees and perennials that I got on a great discount at our local home center. Even if most don't survive the winter, it won't be a big deal. Also took down a dead tree with the help of my brother in law. Yard work used to be very enjoyable for me, but now it just seems to be a huge draw of my limited free time. I am definitely thinking of moving into a property down the line that either has a home owners association to take care of the grounds, or maybe even a town home. The advantage of a big piece of property remains the privacy which I enjoy. In my area, they are building McMansions so close together that you can't even put a swing set in the back yard. I think people today really don't want to spend time on yard care.

Have a good day all!
Old 10-16-2018, 04:08 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Just dropping by to say "hi" to you guys.

Made it through a tiring week of work and have a huge list of things to do on my day "off." At least I can actually get things down these days. Thankfully, the days of morning drinking are in the past.

Take care!
Old 10-16-2018, 04:29 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Morning drinking!!!! Ugghhhh!
Old 10-17-2018, 07:36 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Hey! Hoping you guys are well? I don't post on here so much these days but I certainly enjoy getting updates from you guys. It's been just the three of us for a long time now but I don't really mind. Still think about Cauliflower and OMD sometimes though... We were the CASIOs after all!

I'm doing pretty well at the moment. The enrollment figures at work have come good (not amazing but good enough) and I can relax financially. I've been thinking we were about to go to the wall for about two years now so it is an amazing relief hto ave that load off. Certain areas of our offices are looking a bit shabby and we need to replace a few PCs, etc, so finally I can begin to put things right. It's a tough game running your own business but we're still here. Time will tell what happens in the future!

Regarding music, I'm supposed to be getting the new record out this autumn but it's really hard to find the time to rehearse with the band. I dropped out of the music scene after I gave up drinking and since I got involved again I am much more relaxed about things. A few years ago I'd have been hassling everyone and hussling to get the record out, but now I'm really easy. If it comes out in autumn, great, and if it's spring that's good too. It's not as if the music is going to suddenly go out of fashion! We've been playing a lot of the songs for 7 or 8 years anyway!

I just finished 20 physio sessions on my foot, but I know it's still not right. It aches when I stand up after rest and sometimes at night. I'm going to get some tailormade insoles made and we'll see how we go but I'm not confident about running on it. Maybe I'll take up cycling...

My wife is going through a tough time. I don't know if I told you but after her father died, she started suffering from hair loss. Guess it is stress related. She's been wearing wigs for a couple of years now, but when we came back from our summer break she decided to bite the bullet and leave the wig at home. Everyone has been very supportive but it's hard for her. I think this is much tougher for a woman than it is for men. She has started seeing a psychologist which I think is helping, but it's an emotional time for her for sure. She's turning 50 in a couple of years and her self esteem is low right now. I'm thankful that I get to be a supportive caring husband instead of a drinker. She needs me and I'm so glad I can be there for her.

Anyway, that's you up to speed with all the latest from sunny Andalusia. Nobody said it was going to be easy, but we're doing ok
Old 10-17-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I am happy that you reached a good enrollment level this year and that your back won't be against the perpetual wall Amp. As much as I complain about my job, I could never imagine running my own business as you do. Glad things are working out on that end.

I am sorry to hear that your wife is struggling currently. Between losing her father, your quitting drinking, and your business struggling, I can understand how she must have felt overwhelmed at times. She is fortunate to have a sober husband to help her navigate her choppy seas.

It's disappointing that your foot pain is still present. Hopefully, custom insoles will do the trick. My feet are totally flat, and wide, so they constantly hurt working on a concrete floor each day. Cycling is easier on the feet and knees than running, so give it a whirl.

Inc, how are you doing?

We went from running our AC units through the first weeks of October to suddenly running the heat. Never got the traditional fall that everyone in my part of the country looks forward too. Still have outdoor projects to do before the snow starts flying. Wish I was living in your climate Amp!

Take care guys!
Old 10-22-2018, 01:12 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Just checking in! I am doing well, I've had a bit of a Spiritual Awakening this year, and it's been a rollar coaster of a ride. Did I tell you guys about my trip to Peru, it was the catalyst to my awakening. It's all good. My sobriety is secure in my knowing that I am in control of my life.

Work is going well. We are heading into our busy season soon! I'm still buried under paperwork as usual. This year, we are involved in a project which is stretching our limits! No need to run away in fear like I used to, I accept this challenge with an open mind.

My grandson is 10 months old already. My daughter has moved out and I really am missing her and the baby, but I do enjoy my time and space alone during the day.

We have a new puppy, he's only 4 months old, and he is continually driving me nuts. But I love him to death. Wouldn't change a thing.

We bought a condo in Puerto Vallarta! So happy with this decision. It's unfurnished, so we are going to be busy this Christmas getting it all set up for us, and of course, to rent out. I cannot wait to start! I love the prospect of decorating it and getting it ready. It's nice to know I have somewhere to go when I need a getaway from it all. I am thinking of running retreats out there, for meditation, yoga, writers workshops etc...I will collaborate with friends who are leaders in these areas. I was doing research about the area, and PV is a special place. The land itself is high energy, which people "feel". It's interesting stuff!

Back to catching up on our special tread here...xo
Old 10-22-2018, 08:07 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  
Administrator

great to hear from all you guys

D
Old 10-23-2018, 06:52 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Cauli, great to hear from you!! Miss ya!

I can't believe you are a grandmother now. Congrats!

Congrats on buying a condo in PV. In all seriousness, I might be interested in a rental down the road at some point. At least you know I wouldn't be the stereotyped American drunk trashing your dream home.

I can't imagine the energy a four month old puppy must have. Good luck keeping up. What kind of dog is he?

I continue to be super busy and understaffed at work. With the economy doing well, we just aren't getting quality applicants looking for jobs. It is supposed to be a relatively mild day today, so I hope to take all three AC units out of the windows today with any luck.

Keep in touch everyone!
Old 10-29-2018, 02:14 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Just dropping by to say "hi" and hope everyone has a good start to the week. I've been super busy and stressed recently, but happy that drinking no longer comes to mind as a solution to life's ills.

Take care everyone!
Old 10-29-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope things get less stressful soon SG

New thread here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...part-14-a.html (Class of April 2015 Part 14)

D