Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 40

Old 09-06-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post
Morning guys.

Will keep you in my thoughts, Leigh. Thinking a category five is worst case scenario? Not sure staying where you are is an option even with the latest build technology. Best to prolly just play it safe and get out of there.
I totally agree, Arbor.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Thanks so much, sweet phoebe. Your prayers are very, very much appreciated.

My husband us now vacillating as to whether to make hotel reservations or even evacuate. I am trying to respect his logic (our home is built to the latest, most stringent hurricane standards; we have high impact glass doors and windows, etc.) but I may, nonetheless, lose my mind today.
I'm glad you've got a strong home, Leigh, but also watching Harvey coverage. If you live where you might have flooding, then safe drinking and cooking water become an issue, as does power, and access to well staffed emergency medical care. Just some things to consider.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Speaking of emergency care, the dog ate a corn cob last night, in 5 seconds flat! He's a machine when he gets something he shouldn't have. Some smart folks on a dog training page advised we get him checked, because they are notorious for causing intestinal blockages. X-rays couldn't identify any obvious hunks to attempt to remove, and without seeing anything, they'd never do surgery. He had a belly full of food, was all they could tell, as he'd also just had dinner. Watchful waiting is the plan. All seemed well, and he ate the small breakfast as advised. Well, he just lost breakfast, 2 hours later. Not a good sign. Will keep an eye on things, but may need a new X-ray. They did give me the disc with the X-rays from last night, should we go to our regular vet, vs the emergency center. Ever a dull moment.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phoebe64 View Post
I'm glad you've got a strong home, Leigh, but also watching Harvey coverage. If you live where you might have flooding, then safe drinking and cooking water become an issue, as does power, and access to well staffed emergency medical care. Just some things to consider.
I totally agree and I have posed these arguments with my husband. We are in an area not prone to flooding BUT no power, drinking water, etc. could be a major problem.

I just don't understand; he has done a 180.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Oh my stars, that's an expensive corn cob. And ouch, just the thought of it.

Leigh, I guess there's lots of ways to look at it. We're three hours inland and were still out of electricity for a week due to repair crews being spread so thin. I guess my thoughts are mostly about lack of AC and possible respiratory effects. And as phoebe said the possible scarcity of medical care. Anyway, the worst may not come to be but there's nothing wrong with a road trip to GA just in case. If you decide to stay I would suggest trying to get your hands on a generator, though they may be hard to get your hands on.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
We are in about $300 and some change so far, since you bring it up, lol. I didn't want to sound cold thinking about the money! My daughter was quick to put on her "mommy hat" and scold her brother for leaving the garbage cabinet open, but, then I'd reminded her she bought the corn. . I'd not asked her to... No point blaming what's done, but we all learn to be extra careful about food scraps, moving forward.

I just hope it passes, or it will turn into the $2500 ear of corn, and much more pain and suffering for the poor guy.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Thinking of you dearest Leigh.

And OY phoebe love....not good.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phoebe64 View Post
Speaking of emergency care, the dog ate a corn cob last night, in 5 seconds flat! He's a machine when he gets something he shouldn't have. Some smart folks on a dog training page advised we get him checked, because they are notorious for causing intestinal blockages. X-rays couldn't identify any obvious hunks to attempt to remove, and without seeing anything, they'd never do surgery. He had a belly full of food, was all they could tell, as he'd also just had dinner. Watchful waiting is the plan. All seemed well, and he ate the small breakfast as advised. Well, he just lost breakfast, 2 hours later. Not a good sign. Will keep an eye on things, but may need a new X-ray. They did give me the disc with the X-rays from last night, should we go to our regular vet, vs the emergency center. Ever a dull moment.
Oh, no!!!!!!!

Hope that he is okay!!!!!!

I bet that he will feel rather uncomfortable until it all works its way through.

Poor guy!
Old 09-06-2017, 10:59 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Mark1014;6598137]Oh my stars, that's an expensive corn cob. And ouch, just the thought of it.

Leigh, I guess there's lots of ways to look at it. We're three hours inland and were still out of electricity for a week due to repair crews being spread so thin. I guess my thoughts are mostly about lack of AC and possible respiratory effects. And as phoebe said the possible scarcity of medical care. Anyway, the worst may not come to be but there's nothing wrong with a road trip to GA just in case. If you decide to stay I would suggest trying to get your hands on a generator, though they may be hard to get your hands on.[/
Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post

Leigh, I guess there's lots of ways to look at it. We're three hours inland and were still out of electricity for a week due to repair crews being spread so thin. I guess my thoughts are mostly about lack of AC and possible respiratory effects. And as phoebe said the possible scarcity of medical care. Anyway, the worst may not come to be but there's nothing wrong with a road trip to GA just in case. If you decide to stay I would suggest trying to get your hands on a generator, though they may be hard to get your hands on.
Well, my husband came back from playing tennis and had a New Plan. I suspect a few of his guy friends shed some light on the perils of riding out a Category 4 or 5 storm.

We have spent the morning bringing all outdoor items inside, elevating all indoor furniture, rolling up floor coverings and placing them on beds, etc.

This afternoon we will help neighbors with installation of hurricane shutters.

We will then pack, get some rest, and get on the road early in the a.m.

We will head to stay with friends up north, likely driving straight through as hotel rooms are already few and far between.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:00 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Love, Peace, Health, all.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Amen, Leigh! Hope it all works out safely and without damage for you!
Old 09-07-2017, 05:01 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Leigh - I'm glad to hear you are getting out. I know it's all so unsure right now, but better safe than sorry!

Phoebe - I hope the little fellow is okay. It's amazing the things they can survive. When I was in college, my boyfriend's pit bull ate an entire rotisserie chicken, bones and all. We freaked out, but she was perfectly fine, like it never even happened.

Sorry I haven't been around much. It's been very hard for me transitioning between therapists, and I've been pretty depressed. I really like the new one, she's great, and she's able to see me 2x per week. I've never seen a therapist that often, but she thinks it's necessary because I've been feeling progressively worse. I'm very grateful for her willingness to be so available (though I'm sure she's also very grateful for how much my insurance is paying her).

I'm also having a hard time finding reliable climbing partners, they keep flaking, which screws me because I can't go without a partner. They act like it's no big deal, but after a while, it becomes a big deal when weeks go by and I can't climb. I'm trying to be aggressive in finding more people, but it's hard when I'm feeling so crappy.

It's just hard right now, but I'll get through it. Best wishes to all!
Old 09-07-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Well, you sound great Briar. I know that may not be how you feel day to day lately, but it's nice to read your words. You sound very encouraging. Onward!
Old 09-07-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Anyone else watching the US Open? I love falling asleep on the couch to the sound of the game...then I go upstairs to bed and can't fall asleep. I'm like a baby!
Old 09-07-2017, 08:58 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Not watching, Arbor, but your post made me laugh! Pretty much anytime I'm lulled to sleep watching TV, I'm met with insomnia in my bed. Very frustrating!!

The dog seems ok. We are still feeding lightly, and watching. It did seem he brought up much of the cob yesterday, to say it as delicately as possible. I was never happier to have my dog puke! Better out than in, in this situation!

Dealing with some stress and mental health issues for daughter. Mostly tweaking and healthy maintenance, but had a really great visit with her prior therapist after a break of a couple of years. Briar will understand. It was so great to see a person who has taken time to know dd. Her prescriber was not a good listener, and is moving too far. We had to check in for advice for finding a new person. It was so helpful and good to see her after 2 years. I feel better too. She reinforced my gut feelings about a few things the prescriber person would blow off. It was a good day!
Old 09-07-2017, 09:38 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad your dog is ok Phoebe
continued best wishes for those in bad weather.

D
Old 09-08-2017, 04:21 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! Hope you are doing well?

Also thinking of those in the path of the latest hurricane.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:35 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm ok thanks Phoebe

D
Old 09-08-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Hi team,

I'm glad you've made progress with your daughter phoebe. My but those teen years are critical. Also happy you're pup seems on the mend.

Briar I'm sorry that you don't have a reliable climbing partner. I sometimes wish I could find someone to go hiking with me but am generally content going it alone.

Supportive vibes still going out to Conquest and Leigh.

Hi ya Arbor, Dee, and Suze. Gosh that big day is right around the corner too Suze.....likely you don't need a reminder

This morning was the usual weights and now enjoying the cool morning, bird song, breeze in the leaves and a cuppa. Soon enough I'll take on my lawn chores starting with rose pruning in prep for their lovely fall flush. Not the most exciting stuff I guess but my kind of thing. In the past I would have been well into a six pack by now and jazzed about a day of unfettered drinking.

Wishing all a good day.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Phoebe - you are a wonderful mom for supporting your daughter like that. Absolutely wonderful. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to address mental health issues early on. She is very lucky to have you.

I wasn't diagnosed or treated until my early 30s, and now I continue to struggle with destructive coping strategies even when my meds are right. My parents never acknowledged that anything was wrong with me, even when a doctor attributed years of digestive problems to anxiety, even when I was painfully thin with cuts all over my body, even when I discussed suicide. Looking back now through a parent's eyes, I see it as incredibly cruel. Having my problems brushed away by my parents caused me to be ashamed of myself and fearful of seeking help, and with time my health became progressively worse.

I wonder what my teens and 20s would have been like without the debilitating depression and anxiety. My world was very small. I was always either scared or starved or drunk. I wonder what it would have been like to travel or be part of social groups or pursue advanced education. Your daughter will have a chance to experience those things.

With attention to your daughter's needs now, she is much less likely to resort to unhealthy behaviors to deal with the pain. It's very hard to undo the damage when you're older. She is so incredibly fortunate to have a parent like you.

Sorry to hijack the thread with my sob story. I'm having a hard time right now. But that is a subject I feel strongly about.