Notices

Cheers for Venuscat Part Three

Old 04-28-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kris47 View Post
I agree with you Bill but no, you're not My Brother-in- law as he would have been 107. You could be a fine friend as you probably would not want to be part of the family. We all love our flowers though and like to band birds. Many of us have chosen the lake over the cemetery. Too many skeeters there at the lake.
I drove by the cemetery today. So beautiful in the Spring. But no cherry trees. Bradford Pears. I shall plant a little cherry tree if they allow that.

Bill.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:48 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Nick bought me some lovely things this evening....I am incredibly spoilt.

Our cutie little birdhouse:

And the tiniest succulents in the tiniest ceramic pots ever....adorable huh?

Old 04-28-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

And this.....hard to photograph inside; it is a daisy light for our garden.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Very pretty, Venuscat. Garden is taking on a magical quality.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:01 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

All right everyone! Listen Up!
It's time to watch Peter Sellers in the movie "Being There". Chauncey Gardner assuring us that "All will be well in the garden!" ("After Spring comes Summer, etc"). And don't miss Shirley MacLaine in the bedroom scene! I'm sure you can find a way to stream it on to your computer or TV. Plantomania! Plantaholics Anonymous! Vegetable Virgins!

Bill and The Boz.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

That's a great movie!
Old 04-29-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
I drove by the cemetery today. So beautiful in the Spring. But no cherry trees. Bradford Pears. I shall plant a little cherry tree if they allow that.

Bill.
I meant to say we choose the lake over the cemetery as the cemetery has too many skeeters in the woods to bug those buried there.

Our cemetery grounds are beautiful lush grass with purple phlox as well in the spring and big massive oaks.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
All right everyone! Listen Up!
It's time to watch Peter Sellers in the movie "Being There". Chauncey Gardner assuring us that "All will be well in the garden!" ("After Spring comes Summer, etc"). And don't miss Shirley MacLaine in the bedroom scene! I'm sure you can find a way to stream it on to your computer or TV. Plantomania! Plantaholics Anonymous! Vegetable Virgins!

Bill and The Boz.
Ah Chauncey Gardner, "by chance I am a gardener."
Old 04-29-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Love everything especially the birdhouse.

You may want to live in your special garden.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Nick bought me some lovely things this evening....I am incredibly spoilt.

Our cutie little birdhouse:

And the tiniest succulents in the tiniest ceramic pots ever....adorable huh?

So very pretty, Suze
Old 04-29-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

And this.....hard to photograph inside; it is a daisy light for our garden.

Tres cool.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:17 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

"Oh, CHAUNCEY!!!"

In 2005 I helped my MIL track down what happened to her great-great uncle who was a Union private in the Civil War.

He was sick as a dog with respiratory infections most of the time. His regiment fought and was commemorated at Gettysburg, but he wasn't listed with them on the memorial; he had been stuck in the hospital in Philadelphia.

When he was finally able to fight in a campaign, he was captured in the first fight of the morning at the Battle of the Wilderness and shipped immediately to the notorious Andersonville Prison. After two years there, he was transferred to the prison in Florence, SC, which was even more brutal.

Finally the prisoners were set free, and he was transported to Wilmington, NC to be sent home; however, he was so ill that he was put into the makeshift hospital at City Hall. He never made it home; he died and was buried in a Union cemetery, with no identification except the number 1002.

When I took my MIL to that cemetery, she walked up and down the rows until she found his grave.

After his life of hell, he ended up buried in the shade of a big, beautiful magnolia tree.

We were grateful.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
"Oh, CHAUNCEY!!!"

In 2005 I helped my MIL track down what happened to her great-great uncle who was a Union private in the Civil War.

He was sick as a dog with respiratory infections most of the time. His regiment fought and was commemorated at Gettysburg, but he wasn't listed with them on the memorial; he had been stuck in the hospital in Philadelphia.

When he was finally able to fight in a campaign, he was captured in the first fight of the morning at the Battle of the Wilderness and shipped immediately to the notorious Andersonville Prison. After two years there, he was transferred to the prison in Florence, SC, which was even more brutal.

Finally the prisoners were set free, and he was transported to Wilmington, NC to be sent home; however, he was so ill that he was put into the makeshift hospital at City Hall. He never made it home; he died and was buried in a Union cemetery, with no identification except the number 1002.

When I took my MIL to that cemetery, she walked up and down the rows until she found his grave.

After his life of hell, he ended up buried in the shade of a big, beautiful magnolia tree.

We were grateful.
A dignified place for a dignified man. Thanks for sharing your story, Gilmer.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:43 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Nick and I had a bit of a rough day.
So I bought us more plants.

On the way home with them now. ♡
Old 04-29-2017, 08:00 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Cannot wait to show you the garden tomorrow....we are both very happy with it.
And we will have a barbecue ~ cannot bring myself to say grill in a week. A very cute charcoal one, and then we will really be cooking.
I know, terrible joke.

It feels really wonderful to have our courtyard almost done....we did all of this together. Sure, some of this has been a struggle for both of us, (not the courtyard of course; we have had a lot to learn about each other) but we get over every hurdle and come out stronger.

Love and recovery is a very powerful combination.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:15 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

I can't wait to share pictures... the garden is amazing. I mean, really amazing. It's like a fairyland.

Yes, we did it together... but credit for this masterpiece goes to Suze. She has turned our courtyard into a warm, comfortable, beautiful, joyful place.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:36 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

^^^ Thank you. I love you my darling. ♥
Old 04-29-2017, 08:37 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
"Oh, CHAUNCEY!!!"

We were grateful.
Heavens, what an experience it must have been tracking down your MIL's great-great uncles burial place.

I am glad that she was able to find his resting place under a big, beautiful magnolia and pay her respects to him.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:37 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Nick and I had a bit of a rough day.
So I bought us more plants.

On the way home with them now. ♡
More plants
Old 04-29-2017, 08:38 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Goat View Post
I can't wait to share pictures... the garden is amazing. I mean, really amazing. It's like a fairyland.

Yes, we did it together... but credit for this masterpiece goes to Suze. She has turned our courtyard into a warm, comfortable, beautiful, joyful place.
Looking forward to seeing the photos