Notices

Class of April 2017 Support Thread Part One

Old 04-19-2017, 09:07 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

10 days for me too. I have had some trouble getting to sleep even though I am tired. I'm happy to be in recovery and thankful for this group and AA!
Old 04-19-2017, 10:44 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Hosted a work 'get away' last night. Booze was flowing for everyone and it was an event I couldn't miss as the host and boss.

Was up until midnight drinking diet coke and soda + lime.

From 7pm to 8.30pm it was pretty hard. After that I was fine. In a way it was interesting and then - almost enjoyable - to see people getting drunk.

Not a situation I would put myself in voluntarily but there was no getting out of this one.

Day 24 now. Feeling proud of myself and hoping I can continue to find this daily resolve moving forwards.

Tony
Old 04-19-2017, 11:10 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Old 04-20-2017, 01:36 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Day 13.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:44 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Just Tony - Awesome handling that situation

Hello everyone and glad to see so many others getting sober this month Spring cleaning for the mind, body and soul ... although it will take me longer than Spring to clean up those things. One day at a time I get a little more clear headed, feel a bit better, smile more and I've noticed random strangers seem more nice to me for no reason. Maybe I ignored it before or maybe I'm becoming more approachable. Anyhoo, I'll take all the positives I can get ... my mind is still racing with negatives. Going to look into mediation classes. Can only help

Day 17 and feeling pretty good except being woken at 4:30 am. Positive note on that ... I woke up not hungover, I have my car, didn't spend a ton of $ foolishly, didn't curse anyone out, remember what I did last night, not in jail and so on ...... Have a great Sober Thursday Everyone!!
Old 04-20-2017, 03:52 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

For some reason, my posts to this group keep getting sent to cyberland...grrr.

Just wanted to check in and tell everyone to hang in there and work your plan!

1 Week and 1 Day!
Old 04-20-2017, 04:22 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Meditation oops
Old 04-20-2017, 04:39 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Only day 5 here, I had a week before that restart and 5 days before that fizzle. So each day feels like a cliff hanger. Its good to have many of you ahead of me. I haven't had more than 11 days since Jan 2014. And I don't rember before then. Ke up the great work April 2017. Lets make it another sober day!
Old 04-20-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

BeFree- the smiling thing. Even tho I still trawl thru the crap of my past, the new me-space I am in makes me sit outside my temp. ground floor unit to have a health ciggie. Directly opposite the little city lane I am- is a large apartment complex. After a few week- as my sitting spot is directly opposite the auto. gate for cars- people look, I smile- now about half a dozen of these strangers smile and wave. Go figure. I think it is a sign of healing. As one guy said at a meeting the other day- if he is having a bad day- then everyone else is going to have a bad day too.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

This is my day 2. I'm feeling okay. Best I've felt for a while actually. Got a clear head, a bit of optimism and haven't woken up feeling as if I've been consuming metal polish.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:19 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Back to day 1. I need to stay close and post. I've got to stay sober.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Day 5 - About to head to the gym to take my mind of things. Good day today so far. Feeling confident! Hope everybody is well.

ChickChick you can smash this, go for it!!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Day 11.

Things are going well, but I'm still tired and groggy. It's overcast and rainy outside, so that's adding to my low energy today.

Looking forward to a sushi lunch out today. My birthday is tomorrow so my boss is taking me out.

I'm working with the police and postal workers on an identity theft issue that has been super stressful since we first learned about it in mid-March. We have reason to believe the person who stole my husband's identity will show up at our local post office branch today in an attempt to pick up our mail that they fraudulently placed a vacation hold on. The postal workers know it was fraud and have been instructed to keep an eye out for this person, get a description and also license plate and make/model of the car they are driving. Uggghhh. I don't wish this on anyone. It has been draining and a total time suck!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Good luck everyone! I'm signing off for awhile until I can get my sh*t together. Too many Day 1's. Too many. Hope to be back when I get some significant time under my belt. Hopefully I can make that happen soon. Signed up in February with some very good intentions that have not come to fruition. So, until then, good luck everyone!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:23 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BabyBlues2 View Post
Good luck everyone! I'm signing off for awhile until I can get my sh*t together. Too many Day 1's. Too many. Hope to be back when I get some significant time under my belt. Hopefully I can make that happen soon. Signed up in February with some very good intentions that have not come to fruition. So, until then, good luck everyone!
BabyBlues - I totally understand, but I sure wish you'd keep posting. Even something simple, once a day is all.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Day 20 here... Feeling like I have more energy. Still a bit worried as to my reaction once I hear back about some personal issues that will arise. Need to focus on my sobriety. Going to a face to face meeting tonight.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!
Day 2 here and feeling mentally well today. Last night was pretty rough with extreme headache but chalked it up to my body screaming for the booze it wasn't getting. I had a bit of trouble falling asleep however that was counter balanced this morning by the fact that there was no hangover
I am a bit reticent to say this but ohh what the hell, I had the opportunity to go out this evening for a couple of drinks with a potential "date" lol... I decided my sobriety was much more important. Sorry, I digress, what I wanted to say is I definitely feel 100% committed and I am not accepting failure any longer.
The addictive voice can say what it will but I know it is the last ditch attempt at keeping me a victim which I do not have to be any longer.

I am claiming my life for the first time as an adult and what remains of it is up to me. You have no idea how good that feels.

I plan on staying close by here and learning what I can from each and everyone of you.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Question I'm Able to ...

...think about my motivations for some of my behaviors. It was denial that I was an alcoholic. It feels freeing to admit it. To admit that I AM powerless. To accept that powerlessness. To hand it over to my higher power, who at this point is nameless. Someone once said to me, " Why are we so self destructive?". That's a good one. Why?
Old 04-20-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Breighz View Post
...think about my motivations for some of my behaviors. It was denial that I was an alcoholic. It feels freeing to admit it. To admit that I AM powerless. To accept that powerlessness. To hand it over to my higher power, who at this point is nameless. Someone once said to me, " Why are we so self destructive?". That's a good one. Why?
If I knew why I, personally, am so self-sabotaging, I probably wouldn't be here! I wish I knew. It's a question I ask myself all the time. I've been self-sabotaging since I was about 18 years old. Not necessarily with alcohol (definitely not drugs), just in other ways. Like almost purposefully flunking out of college my freshman year when I had a 4 year scholarship. It's crazy.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Back to Day 1 for me. So angry with myself.

I've checked out the AA meetings locally and there's a meeting every day and my plan is to go to everyone last one of them. So 8pm tomorrow I'll be there.

To get through today I've been hanging around forums and listening to online meetings.

I am so ashamed of myself. But I have two choices. 1) give up or 2)fight for a better life. So boxing gloves on and as I'm too bleurghhh to sleep I'll work on a plan