Notices

Class of April 2017 Support Thread Part One

Old 04-19-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. I just joined SR yesterday, and would like to join this class. Today is day 19 for me. I first joined the rooms of AA in June 2015. I never quite made it to 3 months, despite doing the 90 in 90, having a sponsor, and starting the steps. I just could not wrap my brain around never drinking again. Drinking played a big part in everything I did for fun. Camping, holidays, girls nights, anything involving family, etc. I also struggle with the God/higher power aspect of those meetings, but I'm working on that.

So now I've made roughly 15 meetings in 19 days and attend one near my house most days at 1:00. I'm finding the support really helpful again. I still think about going to the store for a bottle of vodka or a six pack, but not as often.
Glad to be here.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Hello SV72.

My story is similar to yours. I'm on my second attempt to give up after a failure 6 months ago, currently day 4 and confident for today.

What failed me last time was that feeling of giving up everything that has become normal, nights out, family dinners, BBQ , football games etc etc. I know I'm going to have to avoid a lot of that for a long time.

Today I made it to the gym in first time in 6 months and took the kids to school. Normally not possible when not working as drunk the night before.

I'm fed up with depression, anxiety, lack of confidence , feeling awful. I won't a life back but a new life. I know this is going to be an epic struggle but I'm ready this time. I think 😳

I would like to join the class too.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Hi All,

This sounds like the group for me. I quit drinking 11 days ago. Committing for a year, but who knows, maybe a lifetime. I was running marathons and all around highly active, then the wheels fell off the bus in my early 40s, that was 14 years ago. I could not recover from any exertion, chronically exhausted, long list of symptoms. I was forced to quit work, became sedentary, always felt like crap, any exertion made things much worse. I didn't think I drank too much, I could handle it, never drunk, but maybe what's happening on the outside, isn't reflective on the inside. I was careful not to drink every day, often took breaks, 1-4 weeks off, but when I drank it was 4-6-8 drinks. Over 14 years I tried a lot of medications, therapies, herbs, ****** drs, seeking a cure, but nothing worked. But I did not try an extended break from alcohol. Till now. I'm surprised how I feel these past 11 days, up and down, dry heaves, GI issues, itchy skin, tension, diarrhea, but also feeling quite good at times. I stopped drinking before but never felt like this. Maybe I quit just in time. Perhaps it's placebo in reverse. I'm sure everyone's experience is unique. I wish everyone well on their journey.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Hello all! I'd love to join the april class. I'm currently on day 3 and doing relatively well. Best wishes and strength for everyone on this journey.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:36 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Can I join too....

Hello all. I am on day one although I joined this site 3 years ago. I have come back many times and failed every time with my longest time sober being 5 months. I want this to be the last time and I am willing to do whatever it takes to make the change.
My new mantra has become... well Sherri, you know what Dee always says, do you have a strategy/plan to deal with cravings and the hard times and this time I believe I do...
Old 04-19-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

37 days for me. welcome all the new people glad to have u aboard xx

I am not doing to bad today, only had one craving this lunch time which i went out and walked my dog and came back not craving. I am actually just watched a program which for past 5 wks i haven't been able to really concentrate on anything really so i am well chuffed with myself .

have good evening and keep on going and doing and trying x
Old 04-19-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Old 04-19-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlesongbird View Post
!
Old 04-19-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Just got back from a nice 20 minute walk on the trails behind my office building. I saw a little silly vole poke his head out of a tunnel. I squatted down and chatted with him for a bit. LOL! I'm enjoying my 10 days sober, as you can tell.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1515 View Post
Hello SV72.

My story is similar to yours. I'm on my second attempt to give up after a failure 6 months ago, currently day 4 and confident for today.

What failed me last time was that feeling of giving up everything that has become normal, nights out, family dinners, BBQ , football games etc etc. I know I'm going to have to avoid a lot of that for a long time.

Today I made it to the gym in first time in 6 months and took the kids to school. Normally not possible when not working as drunk the night before.

I'm fed up with depression, anxiety, lack of confidence , feeling awful. I won't a life back but a new life. I know this is going to be an epic struggle but I'm ready this time. I think 😳

I would like to join the class too.
Great to hear from you, Mark! Congrats on day 4!!
Old 04-19-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Welcome to all the new people! Its a great month to get sober!
Old 04-19-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Checking in, hope everyone is doing well!
Old 04-19-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Day 1 again

Hello everyone. I have been drinking for many years. For about 2 years I have often read posts here and gone to a few AA meetings. I have managed to go 4 or 5 months without drinking but the wheels always come off. I am a social person but always find it difficult to open up at the few AA meetings I have attended or I start a post on soberrecovery and then delete it. Today I am going to change. I get positive energy from everyone on these boards and I am going to try to contribute.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:05 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Originally Posted by Mitos View Post
Hello everyone. I have been drinking for many years. For about 2 years I have often read posts here and gone to a few AA meetings. I have managed to go 4 or 5 months without drinking but the wheels always come off. I am a social person but always find it difficult to open up at the few AA meetings I have attended or I start a post on soberrecovery and then delete it. Today I am going to change. I get positive energy from everyone on these boards and I am going to try to contribute.
Welcome! Glad your here
Old 04-19-2017, 07:18 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WildernessVoice View Post
Hello all. I am on day one although I joined this site 3 years ago. I have come back many times and failed every time with my longest time sober being 5 months. I want this to be the last time and I am willing to do whatever it takes to make the change.
My new mantra has become... well Sherri, you know what Dee always says, do you have a strategy/plan to deal with cravings and the hard times and this time I believe I do...
Day one also, we can do this!
Old 04-19-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Hi all,
I'm a veteran unfortunately to this group. I believe that I have joined a monthly group three times now. I quit drinking last January (after many years of abuse) and made it almost six months. Those were 6 awesome months. I drank on Passover ( a sip) and that was it. I've quit numerous times since then with little conviction. Most recently used my daughter's diabetes diagnosis in the Fall to mess things up again.
I'm back to not being there for my family when they need me the most. It is in subtle ways because I have been so closeted about my extraordinarily large alcohol intake (for all of you closet drinkers you know the drill) but I know at night when I should be really present and I just cannot be. I'm a master of deception but I know that they can discern between sober and not sober dad/husband. I've let them all down.
This is my second sober day and I have been moved by a couple of posts that mirrored my experience but also demonstrated our ability to move past this.
I was also spurred by a "why waste any more time" comment from Dee.
Why not now, this month?
I used to make proclamations on this site about my joy from being sober and how it was so much better and I'm sure those posts made it seem so easy. Now I am back at day 2. Humility and wariness is the word of the day when I start to feel too confident.
Right now I am sober. Yesterday I was sober. Those were the first days in many months. I plan to keep it up.
Good night,
Jonathan
Old 04-19-2017, 08:08 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Hi Jonathan, thanks for sharing. "Humility and wariness is the word of the day when I start to feel too confident" hits home with me.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:31 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you Sid! Keep after it my friend!
Old 04-19-2017, 08:38 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Love it that all you decided to join the April class. We all need each other's encouragement to succeed and beat this thief! Stick around.....commit to sobriety, don't skip creating a plan or day 1 shows up again. If your like most of us, day one stinks. We hate it. So be here often, read, post, learn. It helps!
Old 04-19-2017, 08:39 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Great pink tails Red!!