Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 57

Old 01-10-2017, 03:56 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Administrator

It bothered me for a while but eventually it got better - I see it, but it never bothers me anymore as a trigger

D
Old 01-11-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Helen, it will get easier as you accumulate more sober time. As kopfan and Dee mentioned, the brain will just start to see it but not make a big deal of it.

Thankfully, as it does get tiring in early sobriety!

Have a great day all!
Old 01-11-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Congratulations on 7 Months Tex! -
Here is a book link you might find helpful:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ependence.html

Helen, I felt very uneasy while reading certain portions of Between Breaths by Elizabeth Vargas. I finished the book because it was well-written, but that was a lesson learned and if a book triggers me again I'll stop reading & set it aside for the donation pile. Which is exactly where Between Breaths is!
Old 01-11-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Living the life

Thanks Bandicoot. And congrats on 1 year! (I just noticed your date in your signature)
Old 01-11-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

HOTtie, I used to catch those sudden urges all the time, it makes sense I guess when you think of how much of your life centred around drinking and thinking of drinking. The AV will try to use any opportunity to send those subliminal messages, but the more real sober life you get under your belt, the less it affects you.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Meant to say, great going on 7 months Tex!
Old 01-11-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Hello all! We had to do massive snow removal from the roof of the house last night and decided we would hire someone to finish. Phew!! My friend and I are still doing the squat challenge and have added planks to the list, so my body has a nice feel of soreness today. I am not losing weight though, and that is due to my eating habits, lots of picking and grazing when I am not hungry, so that is next on my things to correct list.
One of my guilty things that I do is watch a Soap Opera, General Hospital, I bring that up because one of the characters has been drinking and hiding the wine. I could see many of the things she was doing, excuses and rationilations she would come up with, I would/did also. I have never seen that part of addiction be shown like that, it really helped my resolve to stay sober.

Badge
Old 01-12-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Helen, I just noticed in your signature that your name is from a Robert Plant song. Led Zeppelin was a virtual soundtrack for my life as a high schooler in the 1970's. Talk about a band that needed a "Sober Recovery" in its time! Another band brought down by addictions.

Have a great day all!
Old 01-12-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

I'm still here just not feeling up to par. Still have a cold
and sleeping a lot. We shoveled snow yesterday and that didn't
help matters any. Oh well, Hope everyone is ok. Just thought I would
say hi !
Babs
Old 01-12-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Lots of snow here. Heading out for a hike to the grocery. At least the sun is shining!
Old 01-12-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Took my wife out for a meal. Drank coke like it was always that way.

Didn't bother me in the slightest. We went and did a bit of shopping after and it didn't even hit me till now that we completely dodged the beer aisle.

Normally.... well you know what normally happened. Particularly the skipping the meal part and getting straight down to business.

It feels kind of... normal. Yep that's what normal folks do! Go out, eat a meal, come home and watch a bit of TV or read a book or write for a bit.

It feels good. So good I'd like to do it again. Normal is good.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:01 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
I used to fake remembering conversations, because I didn't want to admit blackouts.
Me too!
Old 01-13-2017, 03:26 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

That's good, Kopfan! It's the ordinary, everyday things that can really hit home and help keep us on the path.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:23 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  
nmd

Congrats on 7 months trying in Texas!

Feel better babs!

Good job on staying sober while dining out kopfan. Going out to eat is probably one of my toughest triggers. We went out for Mexican last night, which of course meant there were margaritas available. I had a lemonade, which hit the spot. It can be tough though, restaurants make a lot of their money off of alcohol, and they will try to sell it to you at each step. There are triggers the whole time you need to be prepared for. Maybe you want to sit at the bar and order a drink while waiting for a table? Waiters might rattle of of the drink specials of the day when you are seated.
It's a sales pitch, that's all, but the av is ready and waiting to make impulse decisions if you aren't careful.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Hi Undies -

I agree Kopfan, Normal is good!

Hope you feel better soon Babs.....
I'm just recovering from a 2-wk. bout with bronchitis/pnuemonia so I have great empathy for you.

Wishing everyone a peaceful Sober day!
Old 01-13-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by kopfan View Post
Normal is good.
Could not have said it better kopfan!

Have a great day all!
Old 01-13-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Living the life

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
Helen, I just noticed in your signature that your name is from a Robert Plant song. Led Zeppelin was a virtual soundtrack for my life as a high schooler in the 1970's. Talk about a band that needed a "Sober Recovery" in its time! Another band brought down by addictions.

Have a great day all!
Yup, mine too! I definitely remember the '70's as a time of sex, drugs and rock n roll. Thankfully I don't have to live through that again! lol

Funny how you see the bands that have managed to have longevity (Rolling Stones, Aerosmith) have all gone sober.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

hi everyone !
I just lost internet and posted and lost it all. anyway--
I'm on the mend thank you for the get well wishes--I'm right behind you Bandicoot ---we are both on the mend.
Kopfan---like you --I like that normal too. since we (H and I) were both sick at the same time we actually ate our night time meal together. We use to drink til the meal was well done and just ate so, we could get to bed . He still drinks and now that I don't drink I eat early and he eats later. I don't have a problem with that cause that's what we have done for many years. He has not drank now with our colds so, it is nice to have that extra time. I haven't told him how much I like the time together and not drinking but, plan on it soon.
Hugs
Babs
Old 01-13-2017, 09:03 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Just posted this in the November thread also...but, I need all the support I can get today.

I got the opportunity today to test out a recipe for a cookbook that is going to be published soon. The recipe called for white wine. I didn't think this would be an issue since I haven't had any major cravings lately. I only bought the exact amount that went into the recipe. When I poured it into the pan, my AV took over. It smelled so good and I had an extremely hard time for part of the afternoon. I just kept thinking about driving to the store and picking up a bottle of wine. But, I knew if I did that, I would have to admit it to all of you. That thought might be the only thing that kept me sober today.

So, guess I'm not ready to cook with wine yet... Does this ever change? Do any of you cook with alcohol or is that no longer possible?
Old 01-13-2017, 09:06 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  
Administrator

I stopped cooking with alcohol pretty early on...I don't miss it now. I think it leaves more room for other flavours?

D