Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 57

Old 01-07-2017, 05:48 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

I'm not sure why I didn't see this thread before but I'm so glad I've found you! I have been active in my class thread but like others have said it is slowing down. I'd love to join in here.

I didn't have much difficulty getting through the holiday season, I am more concerned about the spring and summer. I spend a lot of time putzing in the garage and in the back yard or hanging by the pool and do a LOT of reward drinking and companion drinking (all by myself of course). I know that AV will kick it up a notch or ten once I am sitting in my sunroom overlooking my domain. For now I am doing really well but I know I cannot let my guard down.

Toots, I visited my aunt in England last spring and I had to learn to do the mental equation as her scales read in stones. The nice thing is the numbers are so much lower! Lol

NMD I also always kept notes and lists on the computer desktop but switched to a notebook a couple of months ago. I like that I can go back and remember something if I need to and I also think the physical act of writing something down stores it in my memory better than having typed it.

Have a good one everyone.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Good stuff nmd, thanks!
I alternate between electronic & hard copy methods and have yet to determine which one works best.

Hi & welcome Helen -
The different seasons do offer various challenges.
I was worried about summer activities until I successfully navigated the warm months. I was worried about Thanksgiving & Christmas until I successfully navigated the holidays.
I am very apprehensive about my upcoming flight & vacation (the first sober flight & vacation in my adult life). I hope I'm wrong about this one too!
Old 01-07-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Welcome, Helen!

NMD, I kept a gratitude list for about the first 6 months. I found that the longer I kept it up, the more things I found to be grateful for.

Bandi, I too found those "firsts" as a sober person were scary. Even harder for me were the times it just hit me out of the blue or during an unexpected stressful time. One of the things that has helped me is to remember the cycle of relapse that we learned in my IOP. When I focus on the stages and strategies for dealing with each, I find the desire to drink is gone before I'm done.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Greetings Undies!

This morning I took my wife to work at 5.30am and instead of staying up I decided to go back to bed for a couple of hours.

I forgot to set my alarm, so when my wife rang me on her break it was 11.00am! I'd slept in. Not a disaster by any means but it really messed up my morning. I had jobs to do!

1. Get some oil leak stopper for the car engine
2. Top up the car oil
3. new bulb for the goldfish tank
4. Take some clothes in for alterations
5. Wrap a return for eBay
6. Tidy house & wash up.

And I was supposed to get all these jobs done before 10 am when I should be starting work!

I was annoyed with myself for messing up my weekend. But then I laughed because I realised I've come a long way since laying in bed till midday on a Saturday with a hangover was the normal thing.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 01-07-2017, 12:24 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Kopfan, I love that your body decided to let you get some extra sleep!
Congratulations everybody for staying the course. Snowy and windy here. Grateful to be sober. So so grateful.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:29 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hi Drake! Good to see that you are doing well despite the crazies in your building!

Welcome Helen. I too spend a lot of time in my yard during the warmer months and naturally I always had a drink with me while doing chores and several after completing them. Like anything else, it's just a matter of relearning associations. Drinking water is actually more satisfying than drinking alcohol on a hot day and far better for you, of course.

Kopfan, sometimes your body just tells you it needs some down time. I don't usually get more than five or six hours of sleep, but every once in a while, I will sleep nine or ten hours. I am much better about listening to my body now and am not so harsh in self judgement. I have become better friends with myself since quitting drinking.

First appreciable snow yesterday. I work next to a liquor store, and probably half of all my customers were coming in with bottles of booze from next door. I remember when a snow day was an excuse for day drinking. Not that I didn't day drink everyday. It just seemed more socially acceptable. Twisted alcoholic logic I guess.

Have a great day all!
Old 01-08-2017, 03:28 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Sunday Morning Everyone!

Sober Sunday Morning's are my favourite time of the week. I get to sit on my computer and tap away whilst everyone else sleeps off their regular hangover.

Once Xmas and New Year had passed I resolved to stop wistfully thinking about sitting in every pub I went by and instead focus on how sobriety is unconditionally changing my life for the better.

People are genuinely astonished when I tell them I'm nearly nine months sober. They can't comprehend it. A look of genuine astonishment lights up their faces. I'm beginning to relish telling old friends and acquaintances that I don't sup, quaff, sip, guzzle down, swig or generally imbibe anymore.

I'm beginning to wear it well.

I've discarded my old coat of drink-sodden angst and anxiety and set about finding a new one that radiates confidence and contentment.

Alcohol has wrought terrible damage and destruction on my brain. You discover this the longer you maintain sobriety. I'm pretty sure my memory is nowhere near what it should be and I've only just started reading again. I used to love reading when I was a kid. Somehow it evolved into an excuse to sit in the pub of a lunchtime and look intelligent with a broadsheet paper sitting next to my pint. Pretending to fill in the cryptic crossword and looking appropriately thoughtful. Ah yes, that's the clever city type that comes in for a couple of relaxing pints at lunchtime said every landlord in a one-mile square radius. If only they saw the x's I filled the crossword with they might have had a different opinion. I always used to take the paper back with me to the bar when getting a refill so no clever type would grab my paper from the table and unwittingly expose me as a complete and utter fraud.

It's definitely getting easier. This sobriety thing. I was dreading Xmas but really there was nothing to be frightened of. It's all scary monsters under the bed stories. I've started saving up for next Xmas to make it the best one ever.

On New Years Eve my wife had plenty to drink, along with her daughter (who has given up drinking vodka after one too many violent outbursts for no reason at all) and at one point in the evening, she came sashaying into the front room dancing coyly to the music. In that drunken way that you think is sexily attractive but to sober eyes looks faintly ridiculous.

I got up and left the room to overhear my wife talking about how I was "no fun anymore" in her drunken psychobabble.

I was left to see in the New Year on my own as they both passed out around 11 pm. Haha! How much fun are YOU! I wrapped my arms around myself and sang Auld Lang Syne at the top of my voice with the celebs on Jools Hogmanay accompanying me whilst the two party poopers slept like babies.

Till next week Undies!

Have a great week everyone!

Last edited by kopfan; 01-08-2017 at 03:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-08-2017, 03:46 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Kopfan, sad that your wife and her daughter are still drinking. Let's hope that they will stop before it's too late.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:28 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
nmd

Good stuff kopfan, it's amazing to think back and realize how much stuff we faked, like your crossword puzzles, because we were drinking. I used to fake remembering conversations, because I didn't want to admit blackouts.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Bandi, I too found those "firsts" as a sober person were scary. Even harder for me were the times it just hit me out of the blue or during an unexpected stressful time. One of the things that has helped me is to remember the cycle of relapse that we learned in my IOP. When I focus on the stages and strategies for dealing with each, I find the desire to drink is gone before I'm done.

Thanks Sassy for the reminder! We can 'plan' all we want but I agree with you that the unexpected is scarier. This is when I stop, breathe & pray.

What is an IOP?
Old 01-08-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Oh my, faking it brings back bad memories.
When I became active on SR last January, I stumbled on a thread titled, "What normal drinkers don't do" and found it funny & heartbreaking at the same time.
Funny as in ha-ha and heartbreaking because I saw myself in almost every scenario. On the plus side, I realized I wasn't alone and that helped me feel less ashamed.
That is why SR is so important to my recovery. Because we've all been there & there is no judgement.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:32 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Living the life

Originally Posted by bandicoot2 View Post
That is why SR is so important to my recovery. Because we've all been there & there is no judgement.
This.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:35 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

By the end of my drinking career, my life had become one giant self lie. I was trying to fake life, but it finally caught up.

Have a great day all!
Old 01-09-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

I think I was the same SG.

I was talking to someone at work today and we got around to weight loss and drink. When I started on the amount I used to drink I suddenly realised that I was out on my own. In another league. I wished I'd not brought the subject up because I was suddenly embarrassed at my revelation.

I know lots of people that drink more than me but that doesn't make it right.

When actively drinking you do your best to hide the amount you are consuming. When faced with a normie in sobriety I realised how out of wack I had become.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
By the end of my drinking career, my life had become one giant self lie. I was trying to fake life, but it finally caught up.

Have a great day all!
Well said, amigo. And in days that are generally pretty positive-feeling (not dehydrated, not drunk, not lying, etc.), it stinks to have to clean up some problem or another created back in the "career." But you have to be honest sometime, I suppose -
Old 01-10-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Kopfan, I think we all tend to forgot how little normies actually drink. A second glass of wine or a second beer is "Living on the Edge" for them. I too have friends whose drinking almost made me look like a normie. It's all relative, as the bottom line is we are all addicts. I no longer need to party like a rock star.

Have a great day all!
Old 01-10-2017, 07:14 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

So today marks Month Seven. And the first "landmark" of a new year. Looking back and forward here are some things I see --
- first couple of months - some white-knuckling, just hang on, make it to tomorrow, don't take a drink
- next couple of months - whoa this is pretty cool - what they call "pink cloud"
- December - all busy with holiday stuff
Now the New Year. OK, in it for the long haul now. Need a new set of tactics. I've been reading A LOT - "John Barleycorn," "A Drinking Life," etc. - those books are helping me a lot in thinking about the habits I want to develop for 2017. Anyone have any books that they really like in that area??
Thanks and best to all
Old 01-10-2017, 08:23 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kopfan View Post
I think I was the same SG.

I was talking to someone at work today and we got around to weight loss and drink. When I started on the amount I used to drink I suddenly realised that I was out on my own. In another league. I wished I'd not brought the subject up because I was suddenly embarrassed at my revelation.

I know lots of people that drink more than me but that doesn't make it right.

When actively drinking you do your best to hide the amount you are consuming. When faced with a normie in sobriety I realised how out of wack I had become.
That statement has me written all over it, Thanks to my hidden stashes, I never had to have more than "two" glasses all night.
I am gaining more confidence in myself and no longer to drink to feel acceptable and likeable to others

Badge
Old 01-10-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Living the life

Does anyone else get little niggles of tiny triggers? I often get them from movies or books. For example I was just reading a scene in a book where the character gets a half full bottle out of his filing cabinet and pours himself a glass, and a tiny voice in the back of my head says "that sounds good". It's as if the sleeping beast has just opened one eye and stretched. I immediately push the thought out of my head but it is a little unnerving.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Happens all the time and its part of what makes staying away from drink so hard to do.

It's in the advertising breaks, all over soaps, in films. It's all pervading.

I used to like watching Mad Men and it always made a glass of whisky so appealing and such a cool thing to do.

It does get better though and you begin to automatically filter it all out.