Notices

Class of March 2016 part 34

Old 10-20-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Thanks Phoenix and Kiki. You're right, Phoenix. I have been mulling over this for some time. Admitting, for me has been the hardest part of accepting. I AM AN ALCOHOLIC. That can be so hard to say. But I am. I know it. I can now get better.

Spacegoat - you are correct. SR is a community like that. I love the celebration of love as a genuine social value in the community.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

B- just remember alcoholic is a word. You do not have to wear the stereotype label for all the world to see- it does not define all of you, but recognising it for me was essential. For me- it enabled to understand the absurdity of what I had become. I am an alcoholic, yep get that. Can't drink (ever, proved that big time). So me- what is the cause for that drinking? That to me is the underlying principle. The steps are a means for me to live a productive functional life. So being alcoholic- hear me roar. Retake the night. I am here- loud and proud- or stuff like that. So again, I am glad to share your emancipation from that fear of not saying that word. )
Old 10-20-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Bobbie thanks for sharing.

The sharing of personal experiences helps me so much. <3

I need to work on writing it all out...
Old 10-20-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Day 3. Prime number!

I did stay up too late watching stupid YouTube videos while under the influence of too much caffeine. I actually woke up like three hours ago but decided I could sleep just a "little bit longer." Ha.

Off work again today. Going to a noon meeting then having some Indian food after that. No other big plans for the day. Might go to another meeting tonight. Might just watch dumb television and read.

Glad to hear you're doing good, Kayak.

Hope all is OK with you, SpaceGoat.

You've got this, beerbgone. Remember it's the first drink that is the problem for us. Steer clear of that first one and you never have to worry about #2 or 3 or 10.

I'm sure you're deep into sleep now, Phoenix. Hope your day went well.

You have a great day, Bobbieka. Thank you for sharing your step work with us. I think it is very important to remember there are those two parts you mention to step one--I was always bad about either focusing on being powerless over alcohol or on whatever current unmanageability there was in my life, but once I had a few days away from my drinking or from whatever big mess there was in my life, I'd decide that things were better now and it was OK to go back to my old ways. As you pointed out, that "and" is an important part of that first step. Thank you for sharing and for your honesty.

Have a wonderful day, KiKi.

Good morning, Applekat. Stick close today. We can do this!

Hope everyone else is doing well and checks in soon. Guess I'll put on some trousers and face the day now. Yes, I wrote all of this trouser-less. Scary, huh?

Remember you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what. I know I forgot for a little while and it wasn't worth it. Love you all, have a safe and sober day!
Old 10-20-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Day 3. Prime number!

Hope everyone else is doing well and checks in soon. Guess I'll put on some trousers and face the day now. Yes, I wrote all of this trouser-less. Scary, huh?
Congratulations on day 3!
I could have made it through the entire day without that knowledge. lol
Old 10-20-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
Congratulations on day 3!
I could have made it through the entire day without that knowledge. lol
Hey, you wanted me to post more, so you gotta take the bad with the good.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Hi all, Day 2 ...

Bobbie, thank you for sharing ... really resonated with me, especially the lying, sneaking around and isolating. You have come really far and should be proud of yourself.

Off to try and get little one to nap. Thanks to all of you for being here.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Feeling a little vulnerable now. Don't judge. It wasn't pretty.
No judgment here ~ your struggle is my struggle in many ways. It's a disease, not a moral test of character.

Thank you for sharing that. I've read it three times because it is striking how similar many of your experiences are to mine. Even the drinking water between drinks (like that was going to help!).

Old 10-20-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Spacegoat - you are correct. SR is a community like that. I love the celebration of love as a genuine social value in the community.
Bit of a sore point for me but yeah, I love the idea.

Your step work was good. I haven't been getting to many AA meetings recently, was at one on Monday all the same.

Travelled to an ACOA meeting also at the weekend and I told the group that I have one objective in my personal life which is to work the steps of ACOA (and the book, specifically)

Was going to go and meet the hugging saint Ammaalso, was really looking forward to it, but I was all over the city trying to put finishing touches on the kids bday presents (which I had on my back)

And I got lost! And then basically was exhausted so I came back on the last bus as I have a warm bed here lol. Hopefully another time eh...

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Hope all is OK with you, SpaceGoat.
Thanks man and yourself. Kudos for being back here swiftly on the day 3. Wasn't sure if I had read that correctly initially but keep on trucking. Beer is for morons! (Bill Hicks)

I'm going to take a wander about the forums on my own guys, it's what I do IRL anyway and since I'm a kid. Was discussing this with (one of) my therapist yesterday incidentally. Laters
Old 10-20-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
SG- I do not live there. This debate has been mentioned a few times today (usually by me) around informed people. Well- I listen to political analysis by some expert in Australia and read the news reports, watched a bit of the debate (too long- had 2 meetings recovery stuff as well). The general consensus is the whole thing is scary. Especially around that word 'rigged'.
As William Shatner used to say 'weird or what?' A globally important event.
Australia was through the commonwealth loyal to Britain. Then WW1- Gallipoli being burned on the nation's mind. In WW2, some argue England kind of left Australia to fend for itself against the Japanese. Thus loyalties turned to the US. Now there are some who are arguing seeing as Australia is in the Pacific- alliances should be focussed closer to home.
Me- well I stay sober, recycle my plastic, turn off lights and pray to god the world is not wiped out of existence in a cataclysmic 'Terminator' type apocalypse- machine run or human, dead is dead.
Fascinating commentary of Australian history. I didn't know that.

This election has been very scary. I am praying the winds of change blow through here and we find our kindness again.

But, on a personal note I have been watching Clinton and how she handles debating a bully. Trump is a New Yorker...street fighter communication style. I work with a lot of alpha-type businessmen and I'm bullied all time. Being interrupted, minimized, my ideas stolen right in front of me, insulted, no eye contact in meetings, condescended to, asked to get coffee for the room...you name it, it's happened to me.

And last night, finally....she didn't take any poo from him. Finally, she found a way to stop smiling (a woman thing for easing conflict), didn't stop talking when he interrupted, called him out for his blow-hard comments, and came across confident. I think this debate series is going to be studied for years just in terms of gender communications. I'm going to watch it again, just to watch her tactics. Not talking about content.....but the communication style was really well done.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Okay - time to share a huge milestone - my son just asked me to babysit. I feel like crying. That means so much to me. It has been a year. I know they have needed me and I couldn't be trusted. Anyway - thanks everyone for all of your continued support. I can't convey through the internet how much that means.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

That's awesome Bobbie, very very awesome.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

That's wonderful, Bobbie. So happy for you
Old 10-20-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Bobbie
That's fabulous. Enjoy it!
Old 10-20-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Now watch her act like a monster. Be careful what you wish for - lol. I don't care. Se can be horrible - I'm so excited.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Now watch her act like a monster. Be careful what you wish for - lol. I don't care. Se can be horrible - I'm so excited.
A new perspective on having patience for children....I bet no matter how she acts now, you'll appreciate your time together.

We should all be that lucky.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Congrats Bobbie. I know how you must feel!!!
Old 10-20-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  
Re-Member

That's wonderful news, Bobbie. Keep doing the next right thing.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
B- just remember alcoholic is a word. You do not have to wear the stereotype label for all the world to see- it does not define all of you, but recognising it for me was essential. For me- it enabled to understand the absurdity of what I had become. I am an alcoholic, yep get that. Can't drink (ever, proved that big time). So me- what is the cause for that drinking? That to me is the underlying principle. The steps are a means for me to live a productive functional life. So being alcoholic- hear me roar. Retake the night. I am here- loud and proud- or stuff like that. So again, I am glad to share your emancipation from that fear of not saying that word. )
Love this P! ^^^