Notices

Class of October 2016 Support Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 461 (permalink)  

It's going to be a super day today, gang, because we're going to do everything we can to STAY SOBER!!!
Old 10-18-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Good morning. Checking in. I'm so glad to hear of the good things happening...exercising, quitting smoking too! Getting through cravings and stresses. Sharing the hard times and knowing we are not alone!

Thanks so much to everyone for this great group and community!

I have to get back to exercising. I was in a pretty good place in sobriety, exercising regularly helped a great deal. But when I tore my hamstring, I stopped exercising and doing anything related to recovery and used the injury as an excuse.

So I clearly was not in a "really good place" and needed a better plan, more accountability and conviction.

I'm in for another 24!
Old 10-18-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  

You know I have always looked at stopping drinking like I would food if I went on a diet. I drink because I want to escape but I also like the taste (how I started). I always get bummed when I see others drink and think how deprived I feel. Like when I go on a diet and give up sweets or fried foods, etc.

But I need to look at alcohol as a poison - because it is. All it ever really does for me is make me do/say stupid stuff, makes me sick, and makes me fat. There is nothing inherently good in it. Would I put any other thing in my body that did that? No, I don't.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oct142016 View Post
You know I have always looked at stopping drinking like I would food if I went on a diet. I drink because I want to escape but I also like the taste (how I started). I always get bummed when I see others drink and think how deprived I feel. Like when I go on a diet and give up sweets or fried foods, etc.

But I need to look at alcohol as a poison - because it is. All it ever really does for me is make me do/say stupid stuff, makes me sick, and makes me fat. There is nothing inherently good in it. Would I put any other thing in my body that did that? No, I don't.
Spot on Oct. I convinced myself I enjoyed fine wine and the nicer things in life, but looking back now I would drink any old rubbish as long as it was wine, or beer, or vodka. Better still I could buy and drink more cheap booze. You are right, it is poison and now I am genuinely glad I don't feel the need to have it control every aspect of my life. Can you imagine how productive I must have been at work when all I was thinking was how long until I could "relax" with a drink. Strangely though I always seemed to relax until about 2am and feel worse at work.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  

To me waking up at 2am, mind racing, being unable to sleep another wink no matter what and knowing how bad the day ahead was going to be was just about the single worst manifestation of the decease. On day 16 now and not missing that at all!

I'm really enjoying all the check-ins. Basically looks like everyone is still clinging firmly to the wagon, turns and bumps notwithstanding. Well done!
Old 10-18-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  

S
Old 10-18-2016, 09:00 AM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Sorry, I meant "disease". Close enough to deceased though!
Old 10-18-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oct142016 View Post

So true...so true! The last time(s) that I stopped, I was so grateful to wake up feeling OK...not having to be up in the middle of the night chugging water, etc.

This time, I'm finding that even going to bed at night I'm grateful...I don't go to bed thinking..."man, I wish I could have had so much to drink right now that I will sleep terribly and feel terrible tomorrow" or worse yet, going to bed and not even remembering...
Old 10-18-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Good news! I'm so happy that I have my first "real" counseling appointment! I just got a call back and my initial appointment is set for 2 days from now! I was unable to find anyone in network earlier this year but am able to switch insurance companies starting January 1st. So I can may not be able to go frequently between now and January due to costs but it's better than not going at all and waiting until January!

Feeling hopeful
Old 10-18-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Went for a fab hour long bike ride after work today.
Was just thinking why wasn't I doing that before - the honest answer was that I normally didn't go out because I was always going to, then got sidetracked into going home and having a drink instead.
The idea of using alcohol to unwind was also a huge excuse for me and the fact is that it was just BS - way more relaxed now, even if my legs are tired.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  

oh, and I look in the mirror and think I look better as well.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreedomHorse View Post
So true...so true! The last time(s) that I stopped, I was so grateful to wake up feeling OK...not having to be up in the middle of the night chugging water, etc.

This time, I'm finding that even going to bed at night I'm grateful...I don't go to bed thinking..."man, I wish I could have had so much to drink right now that I will sleep terribly and feel terrible tomorrow" or worse yet, going to bed and not even remembering...
I hear you! I would wake up several times a night needing to drink water, sometimes sweating profusely, often having vivid horrible dreams. When I first started trying to stop it was because I started going to bed and not remembering going there - often times fully clothed. Also, I realized that all the depression I was feeling was because of the alcohol! I know if I drink, I will be depressed and just slow the whole next day.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I would like to join this class if I can please? I stopped drinking at the end of September and was in the September class and was doing well for a while but I drank last night.

I go to SMART meetings on Monday nights and last week went to one on Wednesday and I really like them but I get nervous before and sometimes during them and then afterwards, my response is to drink. I have done that for years after any social situation to calm myself and need to find some other way because I don't want to stop going to the meetings as it is helpful being around people that are in a similar situation, or have been, and understand.

I hope everyone has a good day/evening
Old 10-18-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Welcome - don't do meetings, but wonder if it would work to plan another activity straight after the meeting to prevent drinking instead?
Old 10-18-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Welcome Emme today has been a nice one,didn't get many steps in on fitbit but work was busy so at least I made money, at this time last week I was just getting started on my bender right about now so disgusted by it,this day is so much better even though I'm tired zzzz and its only 2:30 in the afternoon!
Old 10-18-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Emme - I think being uncomfortable is a trigger for most of us.
Have you spoken to anyone else at your meetings about this?

I think the more you go to meetings, and really work hard at not drinking before or after, you'll soon find it less of a problem?

D
Old 10-18-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Hi emme99, glad you are here with us!
Old 10-18-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Hey Rocktobers! Woot for being sober in October!
This for all of US!
Old 10-18-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

hey guys I'm here to graduate! Currently detoxing hold your heads up things will get better!!!
Old 10-18-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome smckay

D