Notices

Class of March 2016 part 33

Old 10-08-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Hope everyone is having a good day! Just kind of relaxing at home right now but getting some bad thoughts. Just wanted to post that up here to try and kill that AV. I'll head out for a bit to distract myself. Maybe do a laptop shopping. This typing on my phone is making me crazy�� Is anyone here familiar with chromebooks. I loved my old MacBook Air but so did my son. Not really looking forward to dropping $1k on a new one.

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Lol. I feel ya, MITA. We just had to get both girls new laptops for school. Somehow, I end up with the hand me downs. My Mac's battery exploded or something. Can't use the mouse. Going to get that fixed.

Don't drink. My daughters are showing me everyday how far I've come. In 4 short months. I know it's really nothing in the grand scheme of things, but the changes in me are way more that nothing. Little things, my husband says it's my eyes, my daughter couldn't stop talking about how good the house looks, the other couldn't stop complimenting me. Makes me proud and sad. I'll focus on the proud. I have a whole lot more growing to do- but the first part is simple. Don't drink.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Back from the dentist. Had a good checkup. But I have to floss more I have a small chip on a molar that has been driving me crazy whenever my tongue feels it, but was told today the only way to fix it is with a crown. Um, it doesn't bother me that much, lol.

I'm so glad I didn't listen to AV last night. I'm having a pretty good day. And the sun doesn't hurt because I'm not hungover! It's a beautiful fall day, and I can actually appreciate it.

Bobbie - I'm so glad you and your daughter's are healing. That has to feel amazing for all of you. It makes me so happy to read.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

MITA - tell AV to shove it! Glad you got those thoughts out there. Sometimes it's all we need. Sometimes we need to do that AND remain vigilant. Hope the thoughts pass easily for you.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Made it home ~ still sober today, thanks friends!

Speaking of books, I finishedBeing Sober last night so I'll need to shop for the next one. I still haven't finished Lit but for whatever reason it won't grab and keep my attention.....A.D.D. kicks in......
Old 10-08-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Glad you made it home safe, Purple!! And good on you for coming here before and after. Now that's accountability

I really enjoyed Smashed, really related to the author. My only caution is if you have experienced any trauma while drinking, it might be triggering. I am lucky to say I never have, but it still triggered some strong emotions from my more dangerous drinking days. Just a heads up.

How's the drum class going?
Old 10-08-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  

I'm making my daughter's read Smashed. The oldest doesn't drink at all, she's totally aware of genetics, but the younger one, first year of school, I know she goes to frat parties. She doesn't drink much and usually takes care of the drunks, (she's had some practice) but I want them aware.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

have a great sober day everyone
Old 10-08-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Feeling a little groggy after waking up from a cat nap....guess I needed it!

Hi CH the lessons are going pretty well......my instructor downloaded some of the music that I like....then breaks down the parts and simplifies the drum beat to play along with....we're working on building up my ability while also learning to read notes, rests, & how the music is interpreted. It's pretty crazy....It could be a song I've heard a million times & now just focusing on one instrument other than the lyrics, it's like a whole new song....now I just need to practice.....(maybe that's how this whole sobriety thing works, too???)
Old 10-08-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

0716 here in the real world (my world) here bodies. I do really like the just checking in b4....., just got back from... aspect of here (the virtual world, in real time- which really is a reality that has , oh shutup me). Stories are built up with words. I think words are powerful. Sometimes the most simple of words tells a lot. Such as (not thinking of anyone here) 'getting up 4 work, I NEED COFFEE'. -a connection, not thinking about alcohol, sharing, a common theme most can relate to. So if said person stops talking (in words) about coffee and something dark lurking in their mind- perhaps a possible trigger the change of words can give hints and perhaps people like Wise man obvious (me) can pick up on this and encourage. I also like it here- it is always positive in offering feedb to persons.
I am looking at the clouds outside and none of them look like a duckie or a horsie.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Hi MITA ~ my husband uses Chromebooks in his classroom (he's a middle school teacher). He really likes them.

Is there anything in particular you want to know about them? I remember him saying there are certain things they cannot do....but that's all I remember. That darn middle age kicking in again.

I'll ask him though and let you know.

EDITED TO ADD: He just reminded me. They don't have a hard drive. So you can't save documents, pictures, etc. on the Chromebook. It's like a big browser.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Phoenix you crack me up! You all do!

Did anyone see that list of foods that are supposed to "revamp" the liver? I noticed grapefruit on there.....definitely not a fan but I've been trying to drink grapefruit juice lately.....(without any other "ingredients").....eckgh.....(I mean, MMMmmmmm, yummy)

Gonna try to find a movie to watch.....I like spooky movies especially around this time of year. Kiki I think you may have asked a while back which scary movies I like.....one of my favorites is The Shining ~ I adore Jack Nicholson, and when I was little that movie scared the crap out of me. Not so much now that I've seen it so many times. Plus I just found out that some theaters are screening it later this month so I'll get to see it on the big screen! "Here's Johnny!" Lol
Old 10-08-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

P- grapefruit shall inherit the earth. I am offended- I used to eat grapefruit all the time- once a decade with 9 pounds of sugar. Now eat 'em ok. I think the childhood memory of the sour taste put me off. Actually had a g/f as a snack last night. No sugar. God for digestimification and saved me cleaning my teeth.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Hello all. Day 18 here. I don't actually count them but it is useful to have a sober date (I guess anyway?)

(T) and also a little (A) or at least I certainly was earlier. Although I am usually those of a Saturday night.

Felt like drinking earlier but whats the point. Totally masochistic (is that the right word) for me anyway.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Hi, guys. Good to hear from you Goat and Lillian. Purpl, it's cool you get to see your music differently. CH- hope you're having a good fall day. Phoenix- good morning! Fred- have a good afternoon!

Btw- I love grapefruits. Cleaning out closets today. Windows are open and I am purging old things. Kind of cathartic.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Count me in as one who seriously loves grapefruit. No sugar. Just plain. I love the tartness. I also like grapefruit juice, the yellow, not the pink! It is so good!!! And yes, I am totally serious when I say that.

Purple, that's really cool. And way to blow my mind.

I played the french horn for 6 years (6th - 12th grade), and can still pick out the french horn in a piece of music. My ear is tuned to it. It's a very pretty instrument.

Bobbie - I have purging to do too. I have the totes to fill for a trip to Goodwill, but haven't found the motivation to get going. I need to go through DD's closet in a bad way.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Space - that's how we need to keep thinking about alcohol. It IS masochistic. Not healthy for us physically, emotionally or spiritually.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LillianGish View Post
Hi MITA ~ my husband uses Chromebooks in his classroom (he's a middle school teacher). He really likes them.

Is there anything in particular you want to know about them? I remember him saying there are certain things they cannot do....but that's all I remember. That darn middle age kicking in again.

I'll ask him though and let you know.

EDITED TO ADD: He just reminded me. They don't have a hard drive. So you can't save documents, pictures, etc. on the Chromebook. It's like a big browser.
Yeah, I looked at a few and tried one out for a little while. I don't really need the hard drive, now that everybody's got cloud storage. However, if found the Chrome OS a little flaky - maybe it was just the one I was trying. It would shut down every once in a while, or drop open tabs - totally random. I consider myself reasonably tech capable, especially for an old guy

Probably gonna go back to the old MacBook Air - I'm kind of sucked into that Apple world with my phone, iPod, etc.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:07 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Well seems minor- but not to me. There were 2 budgies here- communal pets. I have taken it very much to heart to help look after these birdies. Not just staff responsibility- a community one. Take their cage outside. Put cage in a different spot- so visual stimulation. Clean water, herbs and stuff for them to eat. Went to put herbs in today- they flew away- never to come back. Have performed this deed quite a few times- checking initially with staff- been all good. Today they just buggered off. Felt really horrible and guilty. Firstly because their odds of survival now- in magpie nesting season is very close to zilch. Next because a communal concern. Lastly- me. I liked them. Then came the old saying in AA. With relationships- none in the first year (not that I am looking). Keep a plant for a year. If it lives- get a pet for another year, if it lives- then think about it. Then came the thoughts of all the D stuff I am going through. Then more guilt- escalating pattern.
So told staff, looked, told others. Said to staff I felt bed- but not stupid bad. No thoughts of drinking or getting stupid. Then I went and did art work a few times in the day to calm down. Plus HALTS. Lots of HALTS. Made sure I ate a proper lunch and tea- not junk food or choc. biscuits or toast or whatever. So a good little test for me on coping with every day stuff- which can lead to crappy thoughts. The bad omen crap. Stuff happens. People feel bad. Recovery does not guarantee rewards of eternal happiness. Recovery offers an appropriate way of dealing with stuff. Important to address issues and stuff as they happen.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:34 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry about the budgies PhoenixJ.

Good to see you spacegoat

D