Notices

Class of August 2016 Support Thread Part 3

Old 08-24-2016, 03:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hey August'rs -
Waking up and checking in.
Today is going to be a great day ! Staying positive is the only way to cope.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Just wanted to check in real quick. I'm a little behind this morning and it took me some time to read through all of the posts! Wow, this thread is moving really fast now...that's ok I love it and happy we have such a great group here.

Day 17 for me! I am so grateful to be off of the crazy train of binge drinking, recover, repeat. Ugh, I think back to it and cringe. I don't ever want to go through it again. I want this to be my LAST day 17 ever!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful sober day

Go A-Team!!
Old 08-24-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
nmd

Checking in day 2
Old 08-24-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good Morning Augustable....

Checking in on day (9). MrPL, I also slept through the night. Well, not exactly, I got up at 2:00 a.m. because my body is still adjusting from the lack of alcohol calories and carbs, but I didn't eat anything. I was really tired and went back to bed and woke up pretty refreshed.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've been meaning to tell a little story that occurred on Saturday during my sweat-fest and search for a window A/C unit. As mentioned I did find two nice units.

I installed the small bedroom unit, but I needed help with the larger living/dining room unit. So, I tried but I was sweating (and detoxing) profusely. I don't like to ask to help, but in dire need, went over and asked my neighbor. His family just moved in last year and we're still getting to know each, though we've put many a drink away already in the get-to-know process. So, he helps me install the unit and runs back to his house to get some tape to help seal the unit. He shows up and drops a beer on my table along with his. My heart stops....holy crap, what do I do. My first thought was to just pretend to drink and then I thought, what about the next time?.....and then I just blurted it out..."I'm on the wagon"...he pauses and says.................."I respect that".

We continued to finish the installation and he sighs, who am I doing to drink with now. I think it was a little guilt trip, but not one trying to deter me.

After completing and on the way out, we then stand outside my garage and he begins to tell me that two years ago, he had a benign tumor removed from this throat and long story short went 362 days without a drink.

So, there's a few points I want to make. Hold your ground, it feels great to beat the AV and you never know the history or background of someone (Paradigm Shift 101). When he told me he went 362 days, my first thought was, crap, I only made it 3 months, not wholly molly, you must have been scared ****less. Though I did console him on how difficult that must have been, after my selfishness.

The reality is, this just added to my motivation to quit forever.

What a strange but positive turn of events.

Thanks for reading.....if you read it. It's long, I know
Old 08-24-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi, checking in for day 13!!!

I have to run over to work. It's my last day of working out of town. I return home tonight at the end of the day.

Neverthought thanks for sharing that story. I am a little convinced that a lot of people not only respect when people go " on the wagon" but even maybe admire it. I know I did.

Last night I showed up to a table of people from work at a dinner late. I planned this so I would avoid pre-dinner drinks. I arrived and they had just ordered another bottle of wine.... My boss said "Bring her a glass!!!!" And I ordered a soda water. Well the waitress brought a wine glass and soda water and was picking up the bottle of wine to pour it in and I beat her to it with the soda water. I felt smooth. My boss' eyebrows shot up but she didn't say a word and the dinner was fine, although one of my coworkers was sloshed.

I hope you all have a good day.

In gratitude

B
Old 08-24-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good morning A-Team. Checking in. I left a post last night, but I think it was in the last part.

Anyway, for those of you who are feeling down - I hope you feel better soon. For those that are doing good - that is fantastic. For those that are new - welcome.

Hope everyone has a good day. Super busy time of year for me. It seems like I get up work, come home, eat, play with the dog for a little while then time for bed.

The good thing is there isn't drinking in the equation. Day 10 under way.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Morning all - Start of Day 3 here for me. I think I actually managed to sleep kind of decently last night - thats a real blessing this early. In fact I got up a little late and don't have time for much this morning before work besides reading and checking in here! I'm going to meet my sponsor on a work break this afternoon, and am looking forward to that (he works about a 15min walk from where I work).

@MrPL - I didn't sleep as well as you, but I'm really looking forward to getting to that point! Congrats on 8 hours! (its the little things )

@Zanna - Welcome, and I agree with the others, join us! You have more sober time than me!! Also this group will continue long after Aug 31 as you can see here for other groups: Newcomer's Daily Support Threads - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information and this group has a lot of active people which is a good sign for the future

@nmd - Congrats on day 2! As someone who as struggled to just get a week for the last year, I know each early day can be a victory sometimes!

@ any new people I missed - Welcome!

Have a great sober day everyone!!
Old 08-24-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
fgo

Welcome Zanna,
This is a great group, no better day than today to get started.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Good morning A team, checking in.

Technically day 5, but day 3 without detoxing. Woke up a little less anxious this morning and a little more optimistic. I woke up almost symptom free physically, which is something I could get used to. I even think I may start waking up earlier for some "me" time soon rather than stretching every minute to its scientific maximum and scrambling out the door lol.
I've been feeling more coherent and have been reading everybody's threads, hopefully I'll be able to start providing more feedback shortly.
I'm still nervous about my job. I'm hoping with time I find that it was just anxiety that drinking brings, but we will see..
I hope everybody has a great day! I'll be popping in and out while at work.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Neverthought View Post
He shows up and drops a beer on my table along with his. My heart stops....holy crap, what do I do. My first thought was to just pretend to drink and then I thought, what about the next time?.....and then I just blurted it out..."I'm on the wagon"...he pauses and says.................."I respect that".
Also, that is amazing!!! I honestly don't know what I would have done at this point, wow.. Kudos, for sure. Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Zanna - YOU ARE WITH US NOW! You quit in August, not September, like the rest of us. Welcome to the party!

@NeverThought - love the story. and "sweat-fest" lol. I'm going to have to face a similar situation soon at a wedding w/ coworkers that don't know I quit.

@bexxed - good job - proud of you. like I just said to NT - going to have a wedding soon and will have to do the same.

what do people do at the champagne toast? anyone know? just not do the toast?? or do they bring around a non-alc option?

good job everyone - we are DOING THIS!

It's my weekend now so relaxing this am and then going to take a long walk, and then get some stuff done and get the kiddos back after school. I feel more together and content than I have in a loooong time.

This fabulousness is worth the work!

Love to the A-team!

-J
Old 08-24-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Just a quick note: since we started this latest part of the thread every single post showed positivity and progress.

This is truly amazing, we're moving together as a group!

Mr P
Old 08-24-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
fgo

I've read about them , I finally had drinking dreams last night. They were so vivid and real. I was so glad it was just a dream when I woke up. The great thing about taking sobriety serious, I knew this is a fairly normal part of recovery.
Have a great day everyone. Day 9
Old 08-24-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hello friends!
Checking in here...day 10 for me...double digits! 🤗 Yay!

Woke up today feeling completely refreshed...first time I've slept through the night in a long time. My anxiety and panic has almost completely subsided. It's amazing...I used to feel really anxious on my way to work every morning...I hated talking to ppl...Matter of fact I was scared to talk to ppl...I realize now that it was all the alcohol I had consumed that was causing my anxiety. I actually enjoy my job now.
I've had a few moments of craving and visualizing myself taking a drink...for a second I thought....how nice it would be...then I remind myself of all the destruction that drink has caused and would continue to cause...I ride the wave out...venture my mind Elsewhere and the thought of drinking vanishes...I'm sure it will always return...but I know I can and will defeat it!
Hope everyone is having a super duper sober day! I'm so thankful to be part of such an awesome group of people!
Much love to you all!
Old 08-24-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good morning my special folks of the A team! Woke up feeling good, positive and grateful today. I agree there is definitely a positive vibe going on and I'm grateful to be a part of this class
Old 08-24-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
Thanks Dee. I think I'll just hover (soberly) and wait to start with the September group. Get to know them all that way
Are you sure you want to wait 9 days to join September?

Either way, I'm adding you to our August Alumni....

It's like the classic shirt says "I was here"!
Old 08-24-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Welcome to our newcomers in underlined Italics.

May we all continue down the path of sobriety.

Zanna
Behindthelens
jodc
FCB45

Pitty
cwood3
sloangrace
nmd
Elicia08
MrPL
Ooona
MidnightRider
kgirl41
capricallia
Quincy
sloangrace
finallygotout
CajunPrincess
emme99
sadsadgirl
Kayak63sc
Optimini
lovehoops
bexxed
skylove2016
nicole36
kgr103110
Findec
Wharf Rat
RikkiM85
StartingOverNW
Julia8
Rogue
bronzie
Elle126
ram8811
alyssa11
Antman
Gretel123
RedBerryJuniper
Martin1
Meshelly
Trees39
PT1
suzii
sunshine72
ChickChick
Vona71
saltybeagle30
Caramel
ThatWasTheOldMe
4givn
HMS
Stale
Pinky1
CountryGal123
Neverthought

You have a bat (SR and your strength), your AV does not!

Notice the initial convincing AV smile....and then, oh no!

Have a great sober day A-Team.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 18.
I had a hard time yesterday. I wanted to hit the f button a few times. Made it though with my tools. Distraction, distraction, distraction, and I kept saying I can have a drink tomorrow if I really want it. It worked and I am so happy I didn't drink. Hope everyone has a happy sober day.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meshelly View Post
Checking in on day 18.
I had a hard time yesterday. I wanted to hit the f button a few times. Made it though with my tools. Distraction, distraction, distraction, and I kept saying I can have a drink tomorrow if I really want it. It worked and I am so happy I didn't drink. Hope everyone has a happy sober day.
Clearly you have learned from the past and have the right tools. The day eventually goes by and you wake up to a new sober day.

One drinks, relapses, and yet, still wakes up to a new day, but with regrets that can potentially lead to another broken cycle.

Inspirational.....thanks for sharing. Can I borrow your sober-hammer, if I ever need it