Notices

Class of August 2016 Support Thread Part 1

Old 08-01-2016, 03:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Just checking in. Day 4 here for me, so I figure I fit the August thread more than the July one.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by Forwards View Post
Can I join the class please? 1st August is my new Day 1. It's 12 hours since my last drink now and I'm feeling pretty horrid...
Heck ya! Welcome Forwards.

Please stay close to class today. We all can help get you through the day.

What is your plan for the rest of the day.

You got this !
Old 08-01-2016, 03:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hey Mac - congrats on day 4. I am just waking up to day 8. I joined August as well to make a new start.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hello All,
Day 3. I would like to join the August class!
Old 08-01-2016, 04:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Forwards, Mac & Cando

D
Old 08-01-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Day 7.
Thank you all.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. Today is my quit day. I look forward to all of us becoming sober together. You will see me here often.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good luck Michelle644.

They are a good group of people here, I am sure you will get all the support you need.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. I'd like the join the group as well. It's been 1 day sober for me, and hopefully the start of the rest of my life.

I've relapsed more times than I care to admit, and probably more times than I can even remember. I am finally ready and able to admit that I'm an alcoholic, and trying alone doesn't work. So here I am. Looking forward to getting and giving support to everyone.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Hey everyone! I have been thinking a lot today about acceptance and taking responsibility. I even made a post about it. I have quit and relapsed a hundred times in the last ten years. But I never accepted that I was responsible for my drinking or taking pills. I blamed my husband, my doctor, my job, my depression, my stress from taking care of my house and kids. Lack of acceptance was my key to relapsing over and over.

I think this time will be different because my thinking has changed. I guzzled the wine. I swallowed the pills. I did this to myself. I can't blame anyone or anything for it. It is actually liberating to accept this.

Does that make sense?
Old 08-01-2016, 06:59 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by earthsteps View Post
I think this time will be different because my thinking has changed. I guzzled the wine. I swallowed the pills. I did this to myself. I can't blame anyone or anything for it. It is actually liberating to accept this.

Does that make sense?
I'm at the start of my journey towards sobriety, so I can't speak from experience. But to me, it makes perfect sense. You can't solve a problem without understanding the root cause.

Good luck!
Old 08-01-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

earthsteps, I think that's where I am in my journey too. At least I want to believe that's how I feel.

It has always been me, I've just never accepted or admitted to it. I made excuses and tried to find reasons so that I didn't have to admit it. Of course some things like depression, anxiety, past traumas, etc. make it harder for us to cope and easier to say f it and self medicate or zone out with drinks or drugs...but in the end, we are at fault. And admitting it is the first step.

I think we have all of the power--to keep drinking, or to quit. Like I said in my post, I've relapsed so many times as well. I didn't know what to do anymore, but I can't say I tried my best either. Deep down, I never wanted to stop..because I was used to drinking as my coping mechanism. As much as I thought I wanted to quit, how was I going to without even admitting I had a problem?

Anyway..sorry for rambling lol.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Everyone in life has trials and tribulations - we've all had our fair share or more. The thing is....how you react to them. Blocking the feelings out with drink and drugs will seem to help in the short term but will only pile on the problems.

I was drinking to self medicate many years of anxiety, stress and panic attacks that I thought were due to bereavements - it was only when I stopped drinking for 18 months did I realise that booze was now causing these feelings.

I relapsed because I made the schoolboy error of thinking I could moderate my drinking and drink like "normal" people. I was amazed and terrified at how quickly the old addictive behaviours - as well as a truckload of fear and anxiety returned!

I now plan to change much more in my life than simply stopping drinking. I need to create a healthy alternative to the old ways - looking forward to August with all of you
Old 08-01-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
Please stay close to class today. We all can help get you through the day.

What is your plan for the rest of the day.
Thanks Midnight, I'm 17 hours in now and the AV is pretty strong. I have to go to the store to get cash so I'll have to be careful. My plan for the rest of the day is to get to an AA meeting tonight and make myself accountable there.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good luck Forwards.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hey guys. I've been trying to quit drinking for about 2 years now. There was a time I made it 50 days and another I made it 30. Today I'm trying to make it just 1. I feel like complete crap. The worst is the anxiety. I need lots of prayer and support. I'm here fore you guys and I hope you're here for me. We can all get through this.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hey August class!

As I said earlier.. I am on day 8 today. But I wanted to join a new class on the 1st day. So I am a little further along then some. I have made it out of the "detox" woods.

Let me tell you... once I passed day 4-5 it got a whole lot easier. So stay the course newbies and lets make this a great class!

I'm on my 3rd try this year getting sober. Since January, I have had a couple 60 day runs of sobriety. But after the couple months ...then I start to feel good and think I can drink (like normal folks). But It just doesnt work...... SoOooo I am 100% sure that I cannot drink any more. I have had enough and as they say .. Enough is Enough.

So now I am trying to come up with a plan.

I am not really social any more and don't have too many friends.
I have not done any AA meetings or anything like that.
I am not religious .. so I don't have any support in that respect.
I am married and my wife is cool... She doesn't like me when I drink. So this is a win for her and my relationship.

So.... I am looking forward to this class and work together towards living alcohol free.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Ok I have a disgusting habit. I learned how to smoke in detox and rehab. I am 42 and have always been a non smoker, tried it once or twice but couldn't get the hang of inhaling so I dismissed it as a waste of time. I also became that obnoxious little non-smoker voice whispering anti-smoking hints to smokers I knew. And now I am not only smoking, I am chain smoking! The thing is that I figured out to inhale and discovered that not only does it keep me calm, but it brings peace.

Right now I am allowing it because I am freshly put of rehab and new to recovery and it is helping me cope.

So there is my confession of the day.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MacW View Post
Good luck Michelle644.

They are a good group of people here, I am sure you will get all the support you need.
Thank you!! I need all the support I can get. I love it that we are all like minded people.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by earthsteps View Post
Ok I have a disgusting habit. I learned how to smoke in detox and rehab. I am 42 and have always been a non smoker, tried it once or twice but couldn't get the hang of inhaling so I dismissed it as a waste of time. I also became that obnoxious little non-smoker voice whispering anti-smoking hints to smokers I knew. And now I am not only smoking, I am chain smoking! The thing is that I figured out to inhale and discovered that not only does it keep me calm, but it brings peace.

Right now I am allowing it because I am freshly put of rehab and new to recovery and it is helping me cope.

So there is my confession of the day.
I still enjoy smoking, and although I would like to cut down considerably, I have no intention of stopping entirely.