Notices

One Year & Over Part 39

Old 07-02-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey Wolf,
I watched the next to last episode of Mr. Robot season 1 last night - I started watching at the perfect time.

Sassy and Blue,
You both apparently have excellent taste in your reading!

Suze,
I see we share reading Dean Koontz in the pic of Venus on the bookshelf. Lovely pic of Venus. I also love Stephen Coontz. His three books starting with Saucer are really entertaining.

Mike thanks!
I'm recovered but still like the friendships in AA. I skipped the steps and the sponsorship because they are essentially RET, which I used as a counselor at the local University well health clinic, in combination with reality therapy for the humanist balance. I may just find a humanist group here. I say AA because the only humanists I find in person are at the local university, and my grandkid's ages.

I did 90 days AA when I quit and found, not adhering to their plan and beliefs, made me somewhat of a discomfort for them if I even introduced myself, as I now say I am a recovered alcoholic. I am not trying to tweak them, only be true to myself. Both the Christian non secular stuff AND the pressure to do it their way, made me uncomfortable because they see the only way to recovery is to never recover in mind as well as body. My success makes them uncomfortable. I'll be sober six years this coming September and apparently it worked for me in 90 days, and SR here for the rest. I pass it on here. I went back and was surprised to hear the weekly regulars in my first year had about half relapse and come back, and several of the ones I thought were the backbone of the group disappear. I don't assume they are drinking, it just seems that AA fits much better for non recovered maintenance and early support.
My little home group sure were there for me. I don't expect AA to change for me, and while I credit them with being a big part of my first three months of recovery, I just wanted help with the support through the hellacious physical PAWS I had for the first six months, but really bad in the first three. Once I knew others had the same, and though sometimes no one locally had one but my doc had those covered and it was all normal. I did not need help not drinking or with cravings as I only needed the jump start a 7 day in hospital safe medical detox brought me. I had already decided to quit for good if I could only get past detox. I would have done it a year earlier but did not know I was covered until I got desperate and got my family doc involved more directly. I also quit the 28 day rehab after three days and nights because I had a home and did not need babysitting. They also tried to tell me I was letting my AV fool me, convinced I was going to drink as soo as I was out of sight. The docs that ran the program and the counselors had no clue, even though I told them I just needed the alcohol and nicotine our of my systems and the body recovery started. I could, and did take care of the rest. It was not daring myself. My wife even drank, and drinks, in front of me, as well as keeps her carton of smokes here. I told her to from the start. But with the new house, she smokes outside now, and does not mind.

I have no desire to smoke three packs a day again and hack and wheeze in the mornings, nor have to drink shots in my coffee to stop shaking and sometimes not keep it down. The very thought of being imprisoned by my drinking and smoking again, reeking of tobacco and beer, is repugnant. I don't even want to moderate if I could. I am on my own personal life and healthy reboot. I started at 58 and feel infinitely better at 64 and done with my addictions to ethanol and nicotine. I am still addicted to coffee and if they ever find anything wrong with it I don't care. I also don't mind folks smoking around me and/or drinking around me. I drink too, just not alcoholic drinks.

I also detested the smoking Nazis that would feign a cough and claim my cigarette was bothering them outdoors when they were upwind of me. Second hand smoke? I did three packs a day of first hand smoke for ten years, 2 packs for 20 years, and for my first decade from age 12 a pack a day of unfiltered Lucky Strikes then Marlboro Reds. All first hand smoke. Second hand smoke is not even a fear. As long as they crack a window, even in a car it does not bother me, as long as not my car. My wife's reeks of tobacco mine has never been smoked in.

So I think I am just looking for F2F meetings of like-minded folks to marvel at the insanity of people's beliefs distilled from their fears we have to live with today. No support needed, just intellectual stimulation and a reason to leave my little patch of paradise.

Excellent post on AA Mike. Everybody when struggling would benefit from giving AA a try and see if, like me, AA has what they need.

It's my opinion that there is no one method to get and stay sober. Different sobriety plans for different folks, but a plan is essential, as we know. My youngest after he went into nursing to follow his wife, who he put through nursing school, after a successful but stressful 7 years of running the Australian themed restaurant. IT burned him out with the 24/7 rut. He is much happier now. He took me aside and told me that I was pretty rare to quit in one try. I told him I tried daily so it was not the first try, just the first with a detox head start and a plan with support from my docs and family and friends all of whom I read in to what was going on.

But if we don't try more than one method, or several at once as I did, how do we find the perfect plan for us?

Hi Carlos and all the rest of the Overs!
Old 07-03-2016, 12:07 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Suze--it's really hard. I've had to go through it so many times and I have one more that is almost there and it is so painful to see her like she is now. You knew when it was time though and I hope we manage it this time as well. It is especially hard for us these days when we lose one because we don't just take in another like we used to because our numbers had spiraled so much in the last few years. Be glad your soberness helped you to take care of her in the ways she needed. Life is such a bastard sometimes.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:29 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Yes, it is Blue. And brain tumours in cats are rare. My poor baby girl.
The hardest part now is being alone...the last two nights were the first nights in 13 and a half years that I was by myself. It's way too quiet.

I'm sorry that your cat is ill love. We are all here for you.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:43 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 07-03-2016, 02:39 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Do your best

Heading out soon speak later my beautiful friends
Old 07-03-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

I probably won't be checking in tomorrow morning since I'll be away at a family party from this afternoon until tomorrow sometime.

Have a happy July 4th to those in this country and a beautiful day to all
Old 07-03-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hi Overs

I thought it was about time I popped in and said hello to you all.

I hope you are all well and it's so good to see so many familiar faces still posting here. I've missed you and it's going to take me ages to catch up.

I have been posting again for a few weeks around the board just to get back into the swing of it. My head wasn't in the right place for a good while after my dad passed away, I didn't drink but I came close to it, I kept looking at his photo on the cabinet and he was smiling at me as though he was proud. I couldn't let him and me down. I feel so much better in myself now, I've stopped isolating myself so much, I've started to be productive again and my naughty sense of humour is on it's way back.

Suze, I was so sorry to hear about Venus, I know how it hurts having lost both my little cats last year. I've got myself a baby parakeet now and I'm teaching him to talk, he's really entertaining and keeps me amused and busy.

Have a good Sunday all of you and to those 'over the pond' make the most of Independence Day.

Stay safe and sober

Gxxx
Old 07-03-2016, 04:34 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Grace, good to "see" you again.

Sassy, have fun at the party!

Itch, we're supposed warm up here too next week. Looks like high 80s and low 90s, nothing compared to what you get down there, but still plenty warm for these parts.

I've already seen a large turkey and it's young'uns on the side of the road and I haven't even been for my nature walk yet!

Have a Super Sunday, gang!
Old 07-03-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Grace!

Wet and gloomy here, of course just in time for the holiday weekend. Supposed to be nice tomorrow for an annual pool party. Fingers crossed.

to all!
Old 07-03-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

welcome home gracy!
Old 07-03-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grace2 View Post
I've got myself a baby parakeet now and I'm teaching him to talk, he's really entertaining and keeps me amused and busy.
Hello love.

Wow Gracie ~ that is very cool. I would LOVE to hear more.
I am so sorry about your cats love....this is always so so hard. ♥

Overs.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Yes, it is Blue. And brain tumours in cats are rare. My poor baby girl.
The hardest part now is being alone...the last two nights were the first nights in 13 and a half years that I was by myself. It's way too quiet.

I'm sorry that your cat is ill love. We are all here for you.
Oh--she's actually doing pretty well for and old lady--she's 20 years old. She limps a little, is thin and has some potty issues but doing pretty well right now anyway. We're pretty good at geriatric cat care anymore and she was one of the lucky ones who lost all her teeth. :-) Happy 4th everyone just in case I'm not on tomorrow and remember fireworks really suck for cats n dogs. I've heard playing a radio inside helps when the bedlam is occurring.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
Grace, good to "see" you again.

Sassy, have fun at the party!

Itch, we're supposed warm up here too next week. Looks like high 80s and low 90s, nothing compared to what you get down there, but still plenty warm for these parts.

I've already seen a large turkey and it's young'uns on the side of the road and I haven't even been for my nature walk yet!

Have a Super Sunday, gang!
That's cool --I've never seen that and wed o have the wild turkeys around here. We do have a family of geese I see sometimes on my drive to work. They very meticulously keep the goslings out of the road. Sometimes I think they cross where there is a road between 2 sides of a lake.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Yeah, first time I've seen a mama turkey with the little ones. I saw plenty of geese on my walk this morning. The little ones are getting quite big now.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi, Overs!

Beautiful day today! Firing up the BBQ to grill some steaks. Hope everyone is well
Old 07-03-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Cool and cloudy with more rain possible in my part of the Midwest!
Old 07-03-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening & goodnight Overs have a awesome 4th of July
Old 07-03-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi overs, been not so well last few days, but I'm getting there. Sorry I missed so much.

(((Suze))) so sorry to hear about your darling Venus. It is so sad when we lose our pets. I know what you're going through.:

Happy July 4 th Independance Day to all.

I will catch up in the morning. Love to all x
Old 07-03-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Feel better Mags!
Old 07-04-2016, 01:11 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Do your best

Get well soon Mags x

Good morning