Notices

Class of June 2016 Support Thread Part 3

Old 07-16-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Reading today's posts.
I'm fried mentally and physically, but made a meeting this morning.
Glad I'm sober.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear of your continued struggles at work. It's very important for you to remember that the situation isn't WHY you were drinking so much. You were drinking because you are an alcoholic. Drinking did not, and will not solve your issues at work. It will make them worse actually. And you've made it through many days sober, so you can absolutely make or through today too.

Basically your addiction is trying to set you up/give you an excuse to drink again. You know better than to fall for it....that's why the good/sober part of your mind came here to tell us about the situation. Listen to it and listen to the good things/people here have to say about staying sober.
Thanks. I made it through the day. One thing I've realized is that mornings are tough times for me, like I wake up and I immediately think about drinking. If I can get through that thought, it really helps.

I think I'm somewhere around 25 days and this is the longest I've gone without drinking in a long time.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:07 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  
sober style

39 days booked, today is 40. Felt kinda lowdown and funky all day yesterday, can't wait for football to start back up this fall. I need me some bread and circuses.

Great sober day for everyone!
Old 07-17-2016, 03:10 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

I made it...1 month sober. I would never have made it without SR. Congrats and thanks to all.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Day 41 today!
I went swimming for the first time in so long. I actually got in, played a game of basketball, did handstands with my daughter and actually had a great time. I usually sit by the pool drinking and watching and making sure my makeup doesn't melt off. It felt good to be sober and have a good time. My husband was drinking but he was the only one drinking and I think he felt a little uncomfortable. He was kind of quiet and when we got home he opened a bottle water instead of a beer. In a way I feel bad that my sobriety is making him uncomfortable and he's looking at himself but on the other hand it's necessary.
I still have no motivation and took a nap yesterday. That's out of character for me as the only time I take naps is when I'm sick. My brother told me to take B12 the mind that disolves in your mouth so it's in my system quicker. Gonna try it...

Congrats on everyone's mile stones, we're all in this together.

Happy SOBER Sunday!
Old 07-17-2016, 05:59 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

@nmd, soberforme, Luvmygirls, your words about parenting while drinking strike a major chord with me as well. I have four young kids, and I've already missed out on huge chunks of time with them because of drinking. I can see how it has already affected my relationship with my son. As he gets closer to being a teenager he's becoming more independent, and so I've had a lot of moments of regret that I've missed a lot of those opportunities for father-son bonding with him, because I was just not "present" for him in the evenings or on weekends (especially on weekends!). I'm working to change that now, but it's hard not to think about the past. I look at all four of my kids now and I see the boundless love that they have for me, and it makes me sad to think that, for a good part of their childhood, I wasn't doing the best I could to return that love, because I was lost in a bottle.

Thank God it's not too late for me--I still have my family, and I recommit myself every day to staying sober so that I can be the dad that they deserve.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

P.s. Day 27 for me, and Day 33 since the last binge. @nmd, congratulations on four weeks today!
Old 07-17-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

-----Wow I'm feeling ALL on missing time with family/kids, and feeling periods of tiredness, I know were still going to be going through recovery changes for a while, though.
Congrats on milestones !
Today I hurt LESS !! Wahoooo.
I have some fear about next week at work as my truck wasn't fixed Friday. It's more than likely a sobriety /unreasonable worry. Not for me to handle in this 24hrs- amen !
-- I'm very glad to hear someone post about the longest time sober so far. For me- a program of recovery is necessary to focus in because my brain is a mishmash of stuff, most of the time.
Thank you all for being here and posting . You're helping keep me connected to people like me; people that want to get and stay sober.

Username I laid around ALL day yesterday while my kids played right beside me. Wife was huffy a bit because she went running around all day and I didn't - couldn't want to go. She came home sick with a migraine from go-go-go all day.
I did laundry though, not totally useless ! Haha
The point was , today I have a good memory of a day with the kids yesterday.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Good morning, all! Day 51. Yesterday was an extremely tough day; I felt misunderstood by my husband and he actually told me "alcoholics are victims." He always takes care to make sure alcohol is not "in my face" and understands if I don't want to buy it for guests, or put beer bottles in the recycling, even though those things don't bother me as much as other things related to social anxiety. He is very extroverted and while I'm friendly and outgoing, I'm very much an introvert, and even more so in early recovery. Due to my mood yesterday, I did a little research on hypoglycemia, which is apparently very common in alcoholics. Without a diagnosis, I obviously won't go hardcore, but a lot of what I read made sense, so I'm paying more attention to my diet overall.

We have friends coming over later, and also some family will be stopping by, so I have to go to the store and do some prep work for dinner. Sometimes, even the smallest things are overwhelming, like going to the grocery store! What is wrong with me?

I hope everyone has a great, sober day.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

I drank. I failed. But I conquered a lot. I think. I went to a gay club. I've been having nightmare since Orlando. I think I was supposed to be there. Someone was throwing up on their back while people watched. I turned them on their side. My issues is binders. This will not turn into one.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Britney's new song "make me" is helping me. Other than Mariah music is my healer. What r some of ur fave songs that help u thru stuff? I encourage the song "not afraid" by eminem. Not that I have room to talk but the lyrics will hit u.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Day 58. Don't sweat it CNGY. I almost broke today myself. massive cravings. I got outside and just started walking. an hour later the craving was gone, my feet were hurting, and I took the subway home. Don't give up!
Old 07-17-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Thanks wasting. We're on the same page. We're both at the same age. Str8/gay. We're all the same. I got ur back man. I have Vegas next month in Vegas. My goal is to be sober while seeing her.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm been out of action ill guys, but back now., Hope everyone is doing OK

D
Old 07-17-2016, 04:58 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

I'm with WL, --CNGY don't sweat it.
I had to take flexerils for my back this weekend. They make me sleepy but they loosen up my back. I feel like I drank or something, but I didn't.
Not going to meeting tonight. Wife's feeling bad, and I'm kid- handling.
Cooked some stuff and I'm gonna eat up and pile up for my off day tomorrow.
I'm really sweating tue back at work, fearing getting put on a laborer crew again. Not for me to decide. Got to let it be where it is. :/
CNGY get back to it, man.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:39 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CuteNGayYay View Post
Britney's new song "make me" is helping me. Other than Mariah music is my healer. What r some of ur fave songs that help u thru stuff? I encourage the song "not afraid" by eminem. Not that I have room to talk but the lyrics will hit u.
CNGY - don't worry and overthink it - get back on it. Favourite for lifting me is Christine Aguilera - guaranteed to fill me with fight.

After all you put me through,
You think I'd despise you,
But in the end I wanna thank you,
'Cause you've made me that much stronger
Well I, I thought I knew you, thinkin' that you were true
Guess I, I couldn't trust called your bluff time is up
'Cause I've had enough
You were there by my side, always down for the ride
But your joy ride just came down in flames 'cause your greed sold me out in shame
After all of the stealing and cheating you probably think that I hold resentment for you
But uh uh, oh no, you're wrong
'Cause if it wasn't for all that you tried to do, I wouldn't know
Just how capable I am to pull through
So I wanna say thank you
'Cause it
Makes me that much stronger
Makes me work a little bit harder
It makes me that much wiser
Old 07-17-2016, 10:47 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Day 27 - Yesterday I went for a beautiful walk and enjoyed some rare UK sunshine. We are due a heatwave here for the next few days, so that will be our British Summer over with Sat outside a pub with my lime & soda and really enjoyed the time. Thought about how in the past I would have started drinking and just kept going, using the excuse that 'it's sunny' always an excuse eh? Started a conversation with hubby that I shouldn't have started, but was looking for reassurance, didn't get it - 'can't commit to anything' oh well, made me cry...... At least no full blown argument, if I had been drinking I know it would have ended up as a screaming match! I am not going back to that nightmare ever again, I just can't do that to myself.
Get where you are all coming from, before my 4 year sober period, 2003 - 2007, I missed out on so much time with my children and I messed up their heads, I feel so guilty for that but I can't turn the clocks back and need to just try to be there now for them.
Here's to a sober sunny day x x
Old 07-18-2016, 05:28 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

CNGY, I know that every time I "slipped" or "relapsed" it had a feeling of inevitability about it. What happened in the days or weeks leading up to drinking? What had you planned to do that didn't happen? What's your plan now? Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I think that's why we're here...to encourage each other and also, to learn from our collective mistakes. (((hugs)))

Day 52. Part of the reason I'm pressing CNGY is that I'm definitely feeling like I need to add something to my own plan. The novelty of early sobriety is wearing off, and the memories of my last drinking experiences are starting to fade. I'm not holding the feelings of hopelessness and despair as closely as I should be, and even though I haven't had cravings yet, there are weaknesses in my resolve that could be exploited if I'm not super proactive.

TGIM! Busy weekend with lots of socializing. Our get-together with friends last night was really nice, and it was funny...my friend started drinking water, and I realized at the end that I never offered her the wine we'd bought and of course, being normal, she hadn't asked for any and just moved on to sparkling lemonade. Normal drinkers are so weird!

I hope everyone has a great sober day!
Old 07-18-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  
sober style

40 days done, today is 41. Walking, Netflix, and SR really helped me through this weekend and some restlessness, getting a little insomnia lately along with some newfound energy. This new Stranger Things show has a great 80s vibe to it and is worth watching imo. I'm also liking the new HBO show On the Night, good stuff.

CNGY, get back at it today. Onward and upward, we can do it.

Great sober days for everyone today, we got this.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Four weeks for me today. I'm not much for milestones, but this one means something to me.

CNGY, it sounds like you're in a good place to make sure your slip is just s one-time occurrence. Refocus on your goals. As you said, you can gain a lot of knowledge even from your failures.