Notices

Class of August 2013 - Part 16

Old 08-07-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

JD, interesting thoughts. I've been consumed with housing issues the past week or so and just read your posts the last day or two, so I apologize for not responding sooner. I have always been a sensitive and empathetic person, so I feel a lot of pain when I see the common human condition, either the poverty present in many parts of the world or the brutality seen in Africa and elsewhere. It's hard to wrap my head around it and of course it was one of several drinking excuses before - just numb the pain. Many here in wealthy America don't realize how much of the world suffers (and many don't care). I hate nationalism.. it seems so selfish and competitive vs cooperative. But of course the real problem is overpopulation and distribution of resources. And late stage capitalism isn't helping on that front.. private ownership and destruction of the commons.

I did appreciate what you shared about dealing with suffering - being present, accepting the situation, not reacting excessively, but doing something about it if we can. How to help? I can learn a lot from that as I tend to become emotionally overwhelmed and paralyzed, other than giving money of course, which often isn't the best solution to some types of problems. Direct action is. And yet, I have also seen the paradox of contentment and happiness in those who (by Western standards) have very little. Kids especially can have fun under all but the worst conditions, and even the adults where I have lived recently seem happy with very little. That is truly living in the moment and is a constant lesson for me. So part of it is our interpretation.

I totally get the meat thing. I've struggled with it myself at times, and in fact remember being a kid and first learning what the red ground beef my mom was making into meat patties actually was.. ugh.. it was very disturbing to me and I always had difficulty after that eating meat that was not pretty well done. Especially since I'm an animal lover, and we're all mammals.. so red meat has always been something I have consumed very little of. Fish and poultry doesn't bother me as much. I have also read Esselstyn's book on reversing heart disease and knowing the almost instant reaction of the endothelial lining in the arteries to any type of meat consumption is added impetus beyond the moral quandary.

Really glad things are working out so well for you. It's inspiring to read.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Advbike - no worries on the response timing. I enjoy the conversation actually. Most alcoholics and addicts are quite empathetic underneath it all. In fact, it is my belief that what I was yearning for was a spiritual connection and looked for it in a bottle, with substances, houses, cars, women, foods...I looked everywhere but inside me. When I threw out everything that I was taught, or created a new null hypothesis that perhaps everything I had been taught was in fact wrong, I began to look inside. Sure enough, I found what I had been chasing my whole life outside myself buried inside me.

Developing a faith in a power greater than myself has been the single most important thing for me. My faith has led me to believe that we are all one. We are God/the Universe looking at itself through individual prisms. There is no separation, we just perceive that we exist in our own skin due to ego. But of course ego is not needed from an evolutionary perspective once are basic needs are met. This is where the neurosis occurs, as we identify our true self with our ego. Yet there is no basis for this.

The US has peaked and is in a state of decline. In fact, there are a number of parallels between the fall of the Roman Empire and Western Civilization. In particular, what will occur in the next 5-10years when artificial intelligence removes roughly 10-15% of the existing jobs? I have just started a book titled Why Socrates Died. Fascinating parallels - again more evidence that we are all one repeating patterns over and over again and again throughout time.

As for population, we actually have plenty of resources to house and feed the World's population. Don;t let the biased and corrupt capitalistic minds convince you otherwise. If everyone woke up and realized they had enough, the economy would come to a stand still. Our way of life is based on the belief that we are not enough. Why would you every need a BMW, Gucci loafers, Rolex watches? You would not. The advent of advertising and the medium of television has transformed our planet into billions of unhappy sleepwalking souls chasing a ghost that can never be filled or satisfied because its a ghost, and illusion of our true self, ego. When you realize this, everything changes, everything!
Old 08-12-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

3 years!

Hey all. I'm terribly sorry for being so silent. For the most part I've kept up reading. I'm going to start "thanking" people for their posts so that my presence is still known.

We just set up our campsite for the next 10 days. My husband headed back home to get the boat and my kids were off at the park (they are turning 7 and 5 this fall!) I was sitting at the fire knitting away on a sock, thinking about pouring myself a nice cold club soda and cran, when it dawned on me: I've been sober for 3 years today!

I am so thankful for the choice I made that morning, the resolve I felt was like nothing I had ever felt. I remember 100 days seeming so far away and here I am, 1095 days later.

Congratulations to all of you here today! I'm so very grateful for each and every word you share.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

And then 20 minutes late I saw this! Such a great sign!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-3851964928.jpg (75.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 08-12-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sheknits - you are so beautiful! Congratulations on the 3yrs. Our children are about the same age (5 and 8). I was just thinking of how grateful I am for everything happening the way it did to allow me to be here today. Truly a miracle! I celebrate 3yrs on the 27th of this month.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks jd!

I will check in on the 27th to cheer for you!
Old 08-13-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Advbike - no worries on the response timing. I enjoy the conversation actually. Most alcoholics and addicts are quite empathetic underneath it all. In fact, it is my belief that what I was yearning for was a spiritual connection and looked for it in a bottle, with substances, houses, cars, women, foods...I looked everywhere but inside me. When I threw out everything that I was taught, or created a new null hypothesis that perhaps everything I had been taught was in fact wrong, I began to look inside. Sure enough, I found what I had been chasing my whole life outside myself buried inside me.

Developing a faith in a power greater than myself has been the single most important thing for me. My faith has led me to believe that we are all one. We are God/the Universe looking at itself through individual prisms. There is no separation, we just perceive that we exist in our own skin due to ego. But of course ego is not needed from an evolutionary perspective once are basic needs are met. This is where the neurosis occurs, as we identify our true self with our ego. Yet there is no basis for this.

The US has peaked and is in a state of decline. In fact, there are a number of parallels between the fall of the Roman Empire and Western Civilization. In particular, what will occur in the next 5-10years when artificial intelligence removes roughly 10-15% of the existing jobs? I have just started a book titled Why Socrates Died. Fascinating parallels - again more evidence that we are all one repeating patterns over and over again and again throughout time.

As for population, we actually have plenty of resources to house and feed the World's population. Don;t let the biased and corrupt capitalistic minds convince you otherwise. If everyone woke up and realized they had enough, the economy would come to a stand still. Our way of life is based on the belief that we are not enough. Why would you every need a BMW, Gucci loafers, Rolex watches? You would not. The advent of advertising and the medium of television has transformed our planet into billions of unhappy sleepwalking souls chasing a ghost that can never be filled or satisfied because its a ghost, and illusion of our true self, ego. When you realize this, everything changes, everything!
Thanks JD.. I am almost done with my 4th step (major home projects keep getting in the way..) and I'm hoping things settle down a little for me.. haha. It's like all the patterns of behavior I'm discovering in the steps are manifesting themselves at the same time. Egads! I apparently haven't handed over control to my higher power yet.. and my ego is still running the show a good part of the time.

I also believe that the US is in decline, and has been for some time, as we compete on the global markets. Our dysfunctional politics prevent any type of honest discussion of the global macro-economic and structural issues that we face, and possible transition strategies. We are losing our implied leadership position that would facilitate global solutions to global problems. And of course half the country still believes things can magically go back to the"way things were".. if they overrun government process..lol.

As far as food and resource shortages, I'm not convinced it can be done anymore, especially without a defacto leadership position to leverage and bring parties to the table. With climate change we're losing millions of acres of arable land to desertification. Water supplies, including glacial snow melt are also diminishing rapidly all over the world, including those that sit above China and India, with half the world's population. Weather events are becoming more extreme which will require relocation of a quarter of the world's population. Yes, there are technical solutions to some of the problems we face, but they require massive cooperation at a time that regions are splintering and walling themselves off. I don't mean to sound alarmist, haha.. but time really is growing short in which to act.

And yes, the madness is seen in the massive marketing of the huge cars, homes and luxury goods that are creating the problem to begin with. It's insane. We are all being consumed by our egos. Tolle really had that right.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I meant to say that "collectively, we're all being consumed by our egos.."

Congratulations Sheknits! Nice to hear from you..
Old 08-14-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Advbike. I did the steps when I was 6 months sober. I had a feeling that I needed to change my sponsor as he himself had not completed his steelwork but was sponsoring me. I met someone on this website in person and he offered to be my step sponsor. We went through the process and I completed the steps to the best of my ability at that time. It was liberating to let go of my resentments but I was also let down that when complete I was still me. There was no opening of the sky or hand of God that came down, still the same old JDooner with all my shortcomings. It did however provide me with more clarity, a little lighter in the step after letting go of resentments and a new perspective on life, one that I use daily when I am angry - what is my own role in the resentment.

For me steps 2 and 3 are a microcosm for my recovery. While I said I had turned my will over, it was not until about 6 months ago that I felt the gravity of this set in and then release. This came from a daily practice over and over with tools in and out of the program. I will say, when this occurred, things really opened up like never before. However, I am still JDooner. This means, I am not cured from my addictions, today I am just more aware of them. There is some space between ideation and action and the beauty for me is in this space.

Good luck with your step work. I am guessing you will still be Advbike when your done but might have gained a little less baggage and a slightly different perspective on things. If so, its worth its weight in gold.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

SheKnits! I just got back from a weekend away and was tickled to see your post! Congratulations on three years!

I know what you mean about 100 days seeming so far away. Now that we're measuring by years, it is a whole new world.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Three years today! Yippee!!!!!
Old 08-15-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Congratulation V! I'm so proud of you!
Old 08-15-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Heelo SheKnits - good to see you - & congratulations Venny!!

D
Old 08-15-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Great posts Sheknits. Congratulations on 3 years. I hit that mark on the 26th. I hope you and your family enjoy the rest of your camping trip. 10 days? With kids? I am VERY impressed.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Congrats Venecia!!!!
Old 08-15-2016, 09:02 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Way to go V! What an accomplishment! Something about 3 years is so huge.. I'm very happy for you.. and wish you continued success in all your endeavors.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks firstymer! We have a large camper, which helps matters. I did just say to my husband this morning after a crazy kid moment "I think this is why so many people give up on camping and sell their camper!" I'm a beach bum though, and wouldn't want to spend my summers any other way!

image-162908566.png
Old 08-19-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Congrats on three years V.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thanks, Orn! It's great to see you! I hope this summer has provided lots of great sailing opportunities on the Chesapeake.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Three years today..

Thanks for all the support everyone, especially JD, Venecia and Elseware.. and Dee.. but the others too.. for honestly, rigorously and compassionately sharing so much of your own experiences and thoughts, and for caring. You are true friends. You saved my life.

As you know, It's been a bit of a journey for me, lol, but one that is well worth it. Life is so different than it was before. I was so stuck.. trapped by my own dysfunctional thinking, selfishness, and fear.. changing that has been my greatest challenge. Alcohol was my drug of choice, mainly to numb my ongoing disappointment. Well not anymore. I'm in a good place now, continuing to learn and grow, and trying to give a little back. It continues to get better, albeit slowly.. haha.

Well, enough talk, out on the bike..

Thanks for three good years..

--John