Notices

Class of August 2023 Support Thread Part 1

Old 07-31-2023, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of August 2023 Support Thread Part 1

Welcome Everyone

this is the support thread for everyone who wants to quit drugs, alcohol or any kind of addiction this monthof

AUGUST 2023

come and join us!
The latest July 2023 thread is here
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/463191-class-july-2023-support-thread-part-2-a.html
D

Old 07-31-2023, 06:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pledging for August.
Old 07-31-2023, 07:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’m in!
Old 07-31-2023, 07:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Count me in

Please
Old 07-31-2023, 07:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Welcome Wagoneer

Welcome to class Itsbeen.

I'm in as well
Old 07-31-2023, 07:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Five FreeOwl itsbeentoolong and Zencat

D
Old 07-31-2023, 08:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I’m in!
Hello everyone. ❤️
Old 07-31-2023, 08:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome PL
D
Old 07-31-2023, 08:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Five FreeOwl itsbeentoolong, Zencat, and Peke!

I am one of many sober members from the class of August 2021.

As you can see, I came here to SR in May, 2018, and didn’t get “it” right until over three years later.

You can do it, you can find the recipe of tools that works for with you.

I tried confusing abstinence with control. That experiment didn’t end well.

I believed that “I really could control my drinking, if I just tried harder to keep within my self made moderation guidelines”. Uhhh, Friday and Saturday only bled into include Sundays. Then, heck, well, Thursday close enough to Saturday, right? Monday is not too far removed from Sunday, and well, as a lot of us know, who was I kidding.

Day of the week? EVERYDAY. No special day for me.

I didn’t REALLY need to quit forever, did I?

How was I going to tell my husband? Did he already know?

How could I go on a premier vacation with free booze, and not drink?

How would I answer to the waitress, “What are we drinking tonight!?!?, we have LOTS of specials tonight…..” and everyone at the table will be ordering, and listening to my answer. Will they think I have a problem? Do I need to explain?

I didn’t have the answers to some of those questions. I didn’t know how I’d handle it.

But as I was a runner, how in the heck did I run long distances? Did I think of each pounding foot pace, how I set my arms, the lower set body, my stride and breathing?

I envisioned finishing……the elation of completing a hard thing, and the feeling of doing my body good. I trained. I bought good tools, clothing, hydration, had a plan to train for success. “OMG, my side hurts today, todays run will be harder….the wind is nonstop in my face”. That’s when, I played mind games. I shot those thoughts right out of my head, and replaces them with, “Free, just run to that tree, make it to there, you can do it”. And when I got to that tree, I’d see that hill coming…..”don’t rest until you make it to the top of the hill”. And at the top of the hill, it was a downward slope, and the wind was with me. Early days are like that.

You need good tools. That you’ll actually use. You need to believe that you can do it, and most of all, you need to put EVERY CALORIE of effort toward STAYING SOBER, BECAUSE YOU. WANT TO BE SOBER. WANT. DESIRE. WITH YOUR WHOLE BEING.

Envision your post in August 2024 class, supporting the newbies. Prepare for tomorrow, the wave of urge surging into your brain being squashed by…distraction. Sleep, a hobby. Feeling feelings. Feel the tremors in your hands, the queasiness in your tummy. Your addiction is causing this, and it won’t cure itself by feeding it.

we were born sober. We are not meant to drink poison. It is no longer. F. U. N.

Envision having a great time without alcohol. It’s entirely doable, AND, enjoyable.

Will be supporting you all here.

Keep on keeping on.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Free2bme888;7958714]

You can do it, you can find the recipe of tools that works for with you.

But as I was a runner, how in the heck did I run long distances? Did I think of each pounding foot pace, how I set my arms, the lower set body, my stride and breathing?

I envisioned finishing……the elation of completing a hard thing, and the feeling of doing my body good. I trained. I bought good tools, clothing, hydration, had a plan to train for success. “OMG, my side hurts today, todays run will be harder….the wind is nonstop in my face”. That’s when, I played mind games. I shot those thoughts right out of my head, and replaces them with, “Free, just run to that tree, make it to there, you can do it”. And when I got to that tree, I’d see that hill coming…..”don’t rest until you make it to the top of the hill”. And at the top of the hill, it was a downward slope, and the wind was with me. Early days are like that.

You need good tools. That you’ll actually use. You need to believe that you can do it, and most of all, you need to put EVERY CALORIE of effort toward STAYING SOBER, BECAUSE YOU. WANT TO BE SOBER. WANT. DESIRE. WITH YOUR WHOLE BEING.

What I mean here, is that, the tools I bought weren’t enough to be a runner. My conscious efforts to change my negative thoughts weren’t enough to be a good runner.

It took time. And lots of effort. And I played the tape forward, to the results, how I would feel.

And to me, it’s all very similar to the recovery road. Ups and downs, negative thoughts, external forces we can’t control that might flub our efforts. Be determined. Believe in yourself.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey there August 2023 class! I have to say hello, I’m a sober member of the August 2021 class, and Free2Bme and I have had each others backs the whole time. August holds a special pace in our hearts- and so does our class. Embrace these people on tnis journey with you- they are going to be important and necessary. They get it, they are on the same path.as you and if you are lucky, they will become your true SR family.

August is a great month to end the struggle.

Onward!
Old 08-01-2023, 12:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I want antabuse. I'll take the psychosis. People can't be mad at me for being psychotic. So I'll suffer and everyone else around me will suffer but no one will be mad at me.
Old 08-01-2023, 12:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Getting my dad a crap birthday present. I'll make it up to him at Christmas. Probably should start my Christmas shopping next week. Lot of nieces and nephews and afaik only two hate me. The others are either old enough to remember a better version of me who babysat them, or young enough to not know me.
Old 08-01-2023, 01:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

im in for auguest x
Old 08-01-2023, 01:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

I'm in for August as well! Day 12 here.

Erratic, good to see you!
Old 08-01-2023, 01:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Erratic and FF
thanks so much for your support Free and VGF

D
Old 08-01-2023, 01:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm in
Old 08-01-2023, 02:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

thanks lixie and good job on day 12, thanks again dee x doh on my spelling of august lol
welcome kopfan
thanks also for your wise words free and vgf xx

just odered a cook book for fatty liver disease as i need to do some changes to my diet to reverse if possible my fatty liver.
bye for now will catch u all later x

Old 08-01-2023, 02:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome kopfan - good/not good to see you back - you know what I mean

D
Old 08-01-2023, 02:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Pledging for August and today. Day 303. Great thoughts above Free2.