One Year & Over Part 39

Old 06-26-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

best wishes ippy
Old 06-26-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  
Magsie

Evening overs.

Pleased all went well on your daughters wedding, Ivan!

I like your terminology toots! Scot lond, brilliant!
Old 06-26-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Mags
Old 06-26-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Went and saw "Finding Dory" with the youngest (almost 21) today. I cried at the touching parts, but then again I'm always a bit emotional when I spend time with my daughters.

They did find her by the way... it's OK.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  

^^^ Spoiler alert!!
Old 06-26-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Venus,
They are the heat! They were so expensive new any used ones like I got are likely to have been kept in a very protective cover. But we use them as kindles. We pay the annual Amazon Prime membership of 99 dollars a year lump sum, but the Kindle unlimited is an additional $9.99 but is cheaper than each of us buying 3 $3.99 books each as we share the same membership.
For an only tablet, look at the Windows Tablets with the Atom Z3775 or Z3795 with 4GB of RAM. We have one Z3770/2GB RAM 64GB SSD (storage). Mine is an i5 Surface Pro 3, 128GB SSD, 4GB of RAM. Email me if you want more info, the techie stuff irritates some folk.

FBL,
Wow!
"The flood caused a tremendous amount of damage. Flood waters displaced large rocks, trees, trailers, vehicles, and carried homes away. In Rapid City the flood resulted in the deaths of “238 including 5 missing,” 14 of the deaths were trained professionals. The flood resulted in over 3,000 people being injured. A total of 1,335 homes were ruined, and 2,820 homes were damaged. More than 200 businesses were ruined, and around 5,000 cars were demolished. The damage in Rapid City totaled 66 million dollars in 1972 dollar value. As for Keystone “eight people were killed and much of the town was washed away.” The damage in Keystone totaled around $1.5 million. The total cost of the 1972 Black Hills flood totaled $165 million, including infrastructure, and utilities. The total amount of rain the Black Hills received was “800,000 acre feet” equal to “1 billion metric tons of water.”

The National Weather Service Office (NWS) in Rapid City in 1972 was taking hourly surface observations, issuing local storm warnings and providing local forecasts to the media. The personnel in Rapid City were not properly trained to make forecasts or use the technologies available to them. They lacked access to vital weather information to warn the area citizens."

Unreal!
That does sound exciting getting the first tangible rewards in book form.
Nice pix of your former self.

Wolf,
I'm with y'all on loving Mr. Robot. Watching it now.

Drake,
Glad you're having fun with the recitals!

RZ,
Was she an old maid? I heard a lady telling her daughter to be less forthcoming or she'd wind up an old maid! (I once wound up an old maid and we both had a marvelous time!)

Sassy,
You recovered your forgotten responses!

IP,
So proud for you!

Wolf,
So did you watch the Pistorious interview?

Star,
Where is Vinyl, cable? I think we all were surprised on this side of the pond.

Blue,
That whole shakeup didn't ruffle you despite the insecurity. Like Mags you showed your strength! Bravo ladies! Big King fan here too.

Toots,
With all your channel and pond crossing I can imagine Brexit having a significant effect on you and ex pats in Europe. I was living in Germany 1990-1997 and saw borders and customs dropped, and except for the rearming of French borders after their train terror attacks, with armor and heavy weapons aimed at us when we crossed for that month, and having to stop and show ID, the EU made Europe on the continent as easy to travel around as the US. When we first got there crossing borders was like crossing into Mexico from the US.

Dee,
Not only London, but the nut jobs in Texas, who keep trying to get their fellow Texans to secede from the US, are rallying to do the same again! And Murdoch, Australia's revenge on the US for saying "shrimp on the barbie" meets with his new buddy the Donald! Donald Trump, Rupert Murdoch to Meet for Post-Brexit Dinner | Variety
In Scotland?

Mags,
Likely what happens next is there is a re-vote. This is amazing to watch unfold.
Glad your spirit's soaring! Hope your body catches up!

Sassy,
If everyone cared about the whole world politicians, soldiers, clergy, and billionaire polluters would find their activities sharply limited if not eliminated entirely.
I'd love to be born into this world today. Whaddya mean scary now? The Cuban Missile Crisis, JFK, all of us thinking the nuclear exchange could happen any time, the McCarthy witch hunts for the Red Menace and the blackballing of the arts and artists. Kent State, the Freedom rides, race riots, Daley and the convention police on Chicago? Nixon hit lists? And that's a quick list. Dylan said it best with "The Times They Are A Changing."
I agree that the average man on the street lacks depth. Apathy is willful unless you're homeless.

Mike,
So nice to see your hopes for the wedding were fruitful. You must be as proud of them, as they are of you!

Toots,
Yep, the greedy and power hungry only care about their reach. The rest fear it.

Rained here today too FBL,

I am just waiting for a dry day to finish spring cleaning. And start the dirt work if we can get a dry couple of weeks as normal.

I thought I lost this post but it was waiting here on my tablet since Friday! So I finished today.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Whew! Caught up!
BTW,
I'd heard about the TED talks but never got around to one. I thought you had to travel to them. Silly me, they are all online and free. Here the TED greatest hits:
https://www.ted.com/playlists/171/th...r_talks_of_all
Old 06-26-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
^^^ Spoiler alert!!
Ha Ha. you really didn't think they were going to kill her off did you? There are some dead fish though...
Old 06-26-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Whew! Caught up!
BTW,
I'd heard about the TED talks but never got around to one. I thought you had to travel to them. Silly me, they are all online and free. Here the TED greatest hits:
https://www.ted.com/playlists/171/th...r_talks_of_all
Itchy ~ you may be interested in this. I subscribed, really looking forward to it.

Take the TED-Ed July Challenge!
Old 06-26-2016, 11:44 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

That's looks fun VC, just signed up.

FBL, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess the current avi isn't a young you???

Wish I could claim ScotLond as mine but it was a Scottish newspaper headline!

All fair to middling in Tootsville this week.

I hope no one has a Morose Monday and y'all have a Magic Monday!!
Old 06-26-2016, 11:50 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good morning everyone

Itch mr robot is awesome & yes I watched the interview I think it was plain wrong he wouldn't say nothing in court but will do a tv interview I didn't believe a word of what he said

Good morning Overs
Old 06-26-2016, 11:50 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Excellent toots love
Mornie wolfie.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:37 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
FBL, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess the current avi isn't a young you???
HA! No, but when I was a young lad, I once told my mom that I wanted to grow up to be one of Gladys Knight's Pips!!! Actually, the avi was Bernie Worrell, the great keyboardist for Parliament/Funkadelic...he just passed away at the age of 72. Today's avi is in honor of one of my all-time favorite shows, Dark Shadows. It was EXACTLY 50 years ago today (Monday, June 27, 1966) that the show first aired. I have the entire series on DVD and am planning to watch every episode (one per weekday) over the next 5 years. Should be fun.

The rain has gone away for awhile. Cooler air predicted by Tuesday.

Have a Magnificent Monday, overs!
Old 06-27-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Monday was pretty good FBL.

By the way...I check every one of your avis....need to be on my toes.

OK guys....I am proud of this: I am 20 months sober today. I have now gotten past the point where I crashed and burned last time. This feels real now. This feels like my life. That is so so good.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Yay, Vkitty
I think we are nearly the same vintage ... I will hit 23 months next week.
to one of my favorite sober buddies!

Itchy, what forgotten responses?
Yes, you are right about the bad stuff we lived through. Memories do fade with time. I hate to admit it but, as I've been told, "aging ain't for sissies". I love where I live and love feeling so relaxed but the daily aches and pains do remind me that age is not without a price.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:30 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

nah itch, she wasn't an old maid

in fact, her ex-hubby was an FBI guy!

who was the over's that ordered that little neck fan?

did you get it yet?
Old 06-27-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats on 20 months, Venus! So glad you made it back
Old 06-27-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
HA! No, but when I was a young lad, I once told my mom that I wanted to grow up to be one of Gladys Knight's Pips!!! Actually, the avi was Bernie Worrell, the great keyboardist for Parliament/Funkadelic...he just passed away at the age of 72. Today's avi is in honor of one of my all-time favorite shows, Dark Shadows. It was EXACTLY 50 years ago today (Monday, June 27, 1966) that the show first aired. I have the entire series on DVD and am planning to watch every episode (one per weekday) over the next 5 years. Should be fun.

The rain has gone away for awhile. Cooler air predicted by Tuesday.

Have a Magnificent Monday, overs!
The world stopped for Dark Shadows when it was on, I was 9 years old and, if I remember right, it aired late enough in the afternoon that we were home from school. In the summer, our street was quiet as all us kids (and most adults at home) watched it. My sister even named her poodle puppy Angelique. I have not seen a whole episode since, just some clips here and there. It was a scream (pun intended) for sure!
Old 06-27-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  
Do your best

Afternoon Overs humid here
Old 06-27-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi, Overs....

I worked up a sweat catching up!

Vee, congrats on 20 months!!! You are amazing and I love you, girl!!

Itchy, yep- that's the movie. I must have had the title mixed up with the song "Boogie, Woogie Bugle Boy" lol.

Ivan, I got weepy during "Finding Dory", too. I think it's so great you took your daughter! I thought it was a good sequel. My fave scene in "Finding Nemo" was the Fish Annonymous meeting!

I'm still in Season 1 of Peaky, and loving it. I'm anxiously awaiting the next season of Wentworth... Hoping there will be one.

Hot and humid, low 90s F and very grateful for a/c.

Thursday we are going to see Pete Gabriel and Sting in concert. It should be a good one!