Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 3

Old 05-16-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome - this is a great group sunflowerlife

D
Old 05-16-2016, 05:35 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I realized that if I don't deal with my anxiety soon, I'll never be able to stay sober. I don't know why it's gotten so out of control. I found some guided meditations and tried them last night. It was a little successful but I also came up with a list of some of the things worrying me to see if I can deal with them or try to let them go. Some of them are pretty tough to handle.
1. My daughter is detoxing from a benzo addiction. I'm much too far away from her right now.
2. I gave a friend the job of doing my taxes last year and they didn't follow through. Then I got sick and couldn't finish them. I finally did them and I ended up owing money which almost never happens. Now I probably have penalties and interest and I don't have that much money.
3. I have to go to the dentist after not seeing one for years. I'm terrified.
4. I need to sell my house and it needs more work. I've already spent lots of money on it. Also having trouble cleaning because I have inflammation in both shoulders and it hurts when I lift my arms. Also none of the houses in my area have been selling and values have gone down.
5. I'm obese and out of shape and trying not to eat too much.
6. My health suffers because no. 5 and getting older.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
Good morning everyone. Here I m again in another day 1. I am sick and tired of the whole sorry mess. I have been up and down over the last week and enough is enough. So her I am. 1 day at a time. Desperate to get past the awful initial phase again (and my danger day 6 which has defeated me a few times now). I don't know what to do differently if I am being totally honest. Just want to stop lying to myself and being weak. I also don't want to lose you guys so I am asking if you will accept me back and I will be 100% truthful. In utter anxiety hell. Sweated and nightmares all night. I know the score and am beating myself up that I am back here again. I can't go on like this. I am in an awful trap (alcoholism - yes I know it's true) and somehow need the strength to slowly beat is day by day. Really dreading a day at work feeling this way but I know it has to be done. Sorry for the post it's very "me me me" but I'm just getting it off my chest.
I really do value everyone here and am so pleased for those doing well.
Oh dear the tears have come.....this really is difficult but I want sobriety sooooo much. HOW DO I DO IT????
Don't beat yourself up Jo...the past is the past and do your best to learn from what happened and incorporate some of the suggestions Dee and others provided to better stave off these issues moving forward. You can do this and we'll be there with you for support.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lonelywombat67 View Post
I realized that if I don't deal with my anxiety soon, I'll never be able to stay sober. I don't know why it's gotten so out of control. I found some guided meditations and tried them last night. It was a little successful but I also came up with a list of some of the things worrying me to see if I can deal with them or try to let them go. Some of them are pretty tough to handle. 1. My daughter is detoxing from a benzo addiction. I'm much too far away from her right now. 2. I gave a friend the job of doing my taxes last year and they didn't follow through. Then I got sick and couldn't finish them. I finally did them and I ended up owing money which almost never happens. Now I probably have penalties and interest and I don't have that much money. 3. I have to go to the dentist after not seeing one for years. I'm terrified. 4. I need to sell my house and it needs more work. I've already spent lots of money on it. Also having trouble cleaning because I have inflammation in both shoulders and it hurts when I lift my arms. Also none of the houses in my area have been selling and values have gone down. 5. I'm obese and out of shape and trying not to eat too much. 6. My health suffers because no. 5 and getting older.
have you tried any supplements for your anxiety? Check out the book the Mood Cure. It has been a game changer for me and my ongoing mood issues.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Felt guilty for drinking a beer yesterday. Got on the treadmill this morning. Going to enjoy the rest of my day off.
Got 2 yr old and will get my 7yr old after school.
Good day I'm hoping
Old 05-16-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Aaaghhhhh, been feeling so positive (even though only on Day 3!!) but the wine witch is whispering evil suggestions in to my ear.

She's telling me that if I have a bottle of wine after we get home from my son's rehearsal tonight it will be out of my system to drive him there tomorrow.

Thankfully my AF-angel is whispering that I am enjoying being clear(er) headed and I will need to work tomorrow.

Can't wait for this battle to stop being 50/50 and be more AF-angel sided!
Old 05-16-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Heading off to work soon, on my first Monday without a hangover. As a Home Health Aide, I was never putting clients in any danger (I hope) being hung over...but it'll be a treat shaving my first client this morning without my hands shaking (not convulsively or anything, just noticeably.)

Holy crap, I just remembered: I blew OFF work last Monday because of the magnitude of my hangover! In fact, that epic hangover was what restarted this whole quest for sobriety! Jeezus, the things we so easily forget...

Happy Sober Monday, y'all!
Arp
Old 05-16-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Why do we forget? Why aren't we constantly repulsed by the thought of drinking?
Why does it fade so quickly but if we drink it's worse then last time?

Guess that's why a plan is so important...
Old 05-16-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trees39 View Post
Why do we forget? Why aren't we constantly repulsed by the thought of drinking?
Why does it fade so quickly but if we drink it's worse then last time?

Guess that's why a plan is so important...
So true. Several plans probably are better than one plan. I didn't drink for over 5 years and now I am back on Day 2. Right now I am struggling to remember all the small but useful guidelines that got me through the first year of not drinking - such as don't walk by this store, don't walk down the wine aisle at the grocery store, make a plan to meet someone at that bad hour when those voices start talking. And if the first plan doesn't work, what are your backup plans? And be observant - watch what you do and listen to what you are thinking - what happens when your thinking starts drifting towards thinking that drinking is ok? Sometimes just the littlest adjustment really helps.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi! Today is day 1 for me. I've been trying to overcome this for some time. I have joined many classes along the way. I am here now because I am back at day 1. I'm so disgusted with myself. Why do I keep falling for the same trick...thinking that I can moderate. I don't want to feel like this anymore.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hi all. It's so helpful reading everyone's posts. Whether they're doing well or not it shows we are in it together. Just finished work. Got dentist and then picking my sister up as she is staying at mine tonight. I will defo not drink in front of her so I'm safe tonight. Slightly cheating but who cares. Got my stationery bits for my plan/journal which I plan to start. Take care all 😊
Old 05-16-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Hi all day 4 for me. I feel pretty good and rested. Driving is over and Ive got nothing to do for the next week though. Just visiting family.

I was offered a beer last night but just declined and had water.

Hope you all have a great day and stay sober!
Old 05-16-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi guys I've had no signal today been painting out in the woods it was very relaxing. I forgot lunch so my Mrs brought me some sandwiches and brought my youngest son as well it was a good day to be alive.

Hope everyone is ok. I'm on ice water tonight sick of spending money on fizzy none alcoholic drinks.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone. Just wanted to check in here. Day 1. Heading to AA meeting in a few. Started seeing a counselor last Friday. I have a plan but don't stick to it. I am sticking to it today! One day at a time!
Old 05-16-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fallow View Post
Hi all day 4 for me. I feel pretty good and rested. Driving is over and Ive got nothing to do for the next week though. Just visiting family. I was offered a beer last night but just declined and had water. Hope you all have a great day and stay sober!
That's great! I don't think I can be around anyone this is drinking right now. Friday was day 3 but the neighbors invited us over. I just wanted to stay home but felt pressured to go over. And I caved. Which turned into 3 days of drinking. So I'm back on day 1.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I just watched the bear film lonely wombat backcountry. Very good film thanks for the recommendation. Anyone else who has any recommendations I'm always looking for good films to watch. No chick flicks please .
Old 05-16-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

1 week ! Woot woot !

Getting easier by the day. Now to avoid a rut and go to some meetings so I dont fall into the old anti social traps.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Today has been okay really. I'm managing to keep the anxiety at a manageable level and know I've more to come in the next few days but I'll take it one day at a time. Day 1 done thank goodness. Take care all 😊
Old 05-16-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Day 1.
I am part of the January group but made the choice to drink this weekend after four months of sobriety (my longest stretch ever.)

I am caught somewhere in between hating myself and really trying to just accept it and move on.

Life is so complicated but in the end it's all about choices and these choices don't have to be labeled "right or wrong" but it's best to choose things that benefit our bodies and minds (and our highest self)- drinking isn't one of those things and it never could be. I refuse to let booze win this time. I am stronger than that. I just need to work on having a plan for the next time my AV has me convinced that I can drink.
Hi Sunny,

I know you can do this. You are such an important part of our January group. Hope the work week has gotten off to a good start.

❤️ Delilah
Old 05-16-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! Hello JL. Nice to see u here as well fellow februrarian...

Checking in on Day 4. Was up with the dreaded "tickle cough" which made me cough just as I was about to sleep every time. It's always the last stage of my colds so hoping tonight is ok. Hope everyone has a fabulous sober day. You all deserve it. (Hugs)