Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 3

Old 05-23-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Great job on 20 days sober frankster !
Old 05-23-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! Day 18 checking in here, I haven't had a chance to catch up today, but wanted to get this off my chest.
My typical sunny, rosy disposition is GONE! Oh my goodness, and everyone here at the office can't help but notice. I'm an assistant, so I'm the yes person. The of course I can help you person, dealing with super silly things day in and out and not wavering in my sweetness. I pride myself on it. I've always been able to take serious amounts of crap and it wouldn't really bug me, I had loads of patience.
Not today, today, I'm screaming on the inside and I just cannot deal. It's coming out and I don't sound normal at all. I just want to get my work done and get the heck outta here.
So what do I do? How do I get it back?
I remember growing up, my dad was always so mean when he drank, but when he was sober, he'd smile and joke and compliment us. What if I'm the reverse? I've been a drinker for so long, what if im a horrible person sober? The worse part is I'm trying to be nice, it's all just coming out grumpy. I just want to cry.

All right, sucking it up and heading back to work, break is about over.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chickenlady06 View Post
Hey everyone! Day 18 checking in here, I haven't had a chance to catch up today, but wanted to get this off my chest.
My typical sunny, rosy disposition is GONE! Oh my goodness, and everyone here at the office can't help but notice. I'm an assistant, so I'm the yes person. The of course I can help you person, dealing with super silly things day in and out and not wavering in my sweetness. I pride myself on it. I've always been able to take serious amounts of crap and it wouldn't really bug me, I had loads of patience.
Not today, today, I'm screaming on the inside and I just cannot deal. It's coming out and I don't sound normal at all. I just want to get my work done and get the heck outta here.
I remember growing up, my dad was always so mean when he drank, but when he was sober, he'd smile and joke and compliment us. What if I'm the reverse? I've been a drinker for so long, what if im a horrible person sober? The worse part is I'm trying to be nice, it's all just coming out grumpy. I just want to cry.

Maybe you were so accommodating and kind to make up for the secret boozing. You seem like such a lovely person perhaps its just a phase. No way you'll be horrible sober..... just give it time (and the jazz hands will come back honey!)
Get today out the way and get home safe tonight. Stay in touch if you nee to offload
Old 05-23-2016, 11:35 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Hang in there chicken lady my temper is really bad since I stopped drinking. I also asked the question if my sober self was a boring miserable person. I have been compared to eyore from Winnie the poo. Don't let it stop you with your goal I'm sure it's works out fine in the end. It always does
Old 05-23-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

My personality hasn't exactly rebounded either, although it does seem to be evening out a little bit. Definitely cry more and get stressed/pissed way more easy than I used to.....but I also joke more, laugh more, and take better care of myself (physically at least). Starting to think I done when and stunted my emotional growth when I started drinking regularly.....now I'm 8 years older stuck with a 30 year olds life skills. Suck. Oh well, could be worse....I could've waited longer to dry out.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Simplicity4114 View Post
My personality hasn't exactly rebounded either, although it does seem to be evening out a little bit. Definitely cry more and get stressed/pissed way more easy than I used to.....but I also joke more, laugh more, and take better care of myself (physically at least). Starting to think I done when and stunted my emotional growth when I started drinking regularly.....now I'm 8 years older stuck with a 30 year olds life skills. Suck. Oh well, could be worse....I could've waited longer to dry out.
Yeah I have the social skills sober of a teenage boy I just clam up and can't think of anything to say where I would normally insert a joke to keep conversation moving. like I said I was told tigger turned into eyore that comment really stuck with me
Old 05-23-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Day 11. Checking in. Have a good day/evening all!
Old 05-23-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Oh my goodness, and everyone here at the office can't help but notice. I'm an assistant, so I'm the yes person. The of course I can help you person, dealing with super silly things day in and out and not wavering in my sweetness. I pride myself on it. I've always been able to take serious amounts of crap and it wouldn't really bug me, I had loads of patience.
I completely sympathize. I'm the of course I will drop everything to deal with your crisis person too Chickenlady. Everyone else gets to act however they want but if I am not super sunshine person, then everyone notices and comes down on me hard. It's ok for the rest of them to be their nasty ol selves.
Sending good vibes to you-Hang in there!!!
Old 05-23-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ben83 View Post
Yeah I have the social skills sober of a teenage boy I just clam up and can't think of anything to say where I would normally insert a joke to keep conversation moving. like I said I was told tigger turned into eyore that comment really stuck with me
I too can relate here. Have not been fun to be around lately as still trying to get my bearings around this new way of living. I am going to meetings and praying a lot, so trying to cut myself some slack. As long as I stay SOBER, I feel like I'm at least moving forward. Give it some time is all I am repeating at the moment...
Old 05-23-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Checking in before bed... Hard day today , felt really irritable but got through it, sat and watched the sun go down alone with my thoughts and a coffee, and the cravings slowly faded after a while. Keep it up guys and girls!
Old 05-23-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Honestly, I've always felt like there's nothing wrong with being socially awkward. I am a dental hygienist, and I talk to people all day long, so I'm used to the socializing. I feel like the people that aren't socially awkward help out those who are, because they can pick up slack and lead a conversation if needed. I've never been talking to someone who was a little socially unnerved and thought anything negative of them. So those of you worried about that, I'd say don't! Just be yourself, and things will fall into place.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiteturtle View Post
Honestly, I've always felt like there's nothing wrong with being socially awkward. I am a dental hygienist, and I talk to people all day long, so I'm used to the socializing.
You just made me giggle My dental hygienist is a talker but she always asks me questions while cleaning my teeth. I still haven't figured out a good way to answer her with a suction tip jammed in my mouth!
Old 05-23-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Nothing big day 1 is done. Cleaned up and loaded a broken washer in the truck. Had a good day with the boys.
Long hot hard 4 days ahead. Hope I'm beyond the induction flu feeling.
Good job, friends! You all are doing well at this, compared to drinking today.
Like someone just posted earlier- tired sober beats hungover any day of the week.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

re: social awkwardness: like WT, I'm the opposite; my mouth runs whether I really have anything to say or not (probably doing the same thing with many of my posts here!) But sure, if you relied on alcohol for social lubrication, you'll probably be tongue-tied for awhile, which sucks...but if you stay silent, furrow your brow ever so slightly, and gaze off into the distance, people might think you're just really deep and philosophical and stuff (?)

See, I'm babbling again. At least I'm not slurring; friends hated when I'd go off on a drunken, slurring tangent! Anyway...

Wishing the best to all today / tonight / tomorrow,
Arp who rarely shuts up
Old 05-23-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

JL!! I saw you were online, and almost prompted you to post! (That's a tricky little feature at the bottom of the page: Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread...spyware!)

Glad to hear from you tonight.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

WTG James90 .....Sounds like you had a rough time of it, but still dug in. Tomorrow I am sure you are going to be happy you did.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread

join us here
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html

D