Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 15

Old 04-11-2016, 12:30 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
I'm finding even Sr to be massively triggering. And I have very bad feelings for my appointment tomorrow. I'm screwing myself into a very tight corner.
I don't know if this will help you or not Delizadee, but the one time I ever got triggered even by meetings I usually like, I called a crisis hotline and talked to them for a while until I calmed down. I'd kinda suspected at that moment that what was happening had more to do with what was going on inside me than with anyone/anything else...I'm now sure that was true. Talking to a counselor on the phone who was a complete outsider to my life felt safer in that moment and was the only thing I found helpful at the time.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:52 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

JL, I'm sorry about the difficulties in your family. I hope things improve with time and that those challenges don't overshadow the progress you're making with your sobriety too much.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:56 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Blehhh. .... help.
I hope you're feeling better since this post Del.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:59 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
I just came across this quote and I could relate. I think I still feel like I'm in the woods, maybe with some rays of sunshine peeking through occasionally, how about others?

“I was also beginning to realize that getting sober wasn’t some giant leap into sunlight. It was a series of small steps in the same direction. You say ‘I’ll do this today,’ and then you say the same thing the next day, and you keep going, one foot in front of the other, until you make it out of the woods.”
Thanks for sharing Applekat. Still pretty deep in the woods personally but it's getting lighter. Sometimes I'm just standing still. But I'm not turning back or lost and walking round in circles anymore.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:00 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Well the buffalo wing dip went well last night but it it's bit of a heart burner. Even gloomy Glenda said it was good. Lol . Yummy though. I'm off tomorrow so if I wake up in the wee hrs, it'll be....... SNACK ATTACK.
Took my 2 yr old atv riding when I got home from ambulance job.
Looking for some good sleep I hope.
Prayers for those who have challenges tomorrow and in the next few days.
49 days when I wake up!
I'm glad your day worked out well JL.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:02 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
There are a couple of different companies that sell ring candles. They are scented candles with a ring hidden inside. You find it as the candle burns down. This is my go-to gift for all the women in my family.
She doesn't like candles, but that sounds really lovely. I'm probably going to buy her some jewellery, she borrowed one of my necklaces recently so I thought it might be nice. Plus she'd be able to wear it and say "my daughter bought this for me", she loves things like that. I'm dragging my dad into town tomorrow to find something she'd like.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:08 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

OT- I'm proud if you for staying the course and keeping on.... keeping on. Lol
I kept telling myself that if I kept at it, I wanted to aim for 9 nos out of ten.
So I started to change things when I wasn't getting nos.
Then I started getting nos. --talk about frustrating!! But at least I was getting responses!
Try to look at it as part of the process to keep your spirits up. Looking for employment is a job in and of itself in this day and age.
There's also online courses 5hat cam be taken for free, college level courses and whatnot. It will come!

So many typos. So apology.
Thank you Del, my problem is that I doubt myself and think I can't deal with anything without alcohol. You're right though, if I apply for a lot and don't hear anything back then I need to make some changes. I'll definitely keep this in mind.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:09 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Just thought I'd share this potentially enlightening activity for anyone who wants to try it: write out an inventory of everything you can think of that's changed in you/your life since the start of recovery. I did it--weeeeelllll, more like forced myself to do it--a few weeks ago and was surprised by how many good things I came up with (at a time when I felt like such a mess, too). It turned out to be a pretty positive experience and showed me some stuff I'd been missing.

I'd been reading a book called "Recovery: A guide for adult children of alcoholics" that suggests this exercise, but it could be useful for any kind of recovery.

Here's some of the prompt from the book:

"How do you feel right now? What are you doing with your life right now? Look back over the last several days, weeks, or months. What has been changing? What is different? What kind of messages are you getting from people? Are you finding yourself experiencing new feelings, having new insights? Are you feeling some excitement?...Are you noticing that what has been going on in your life is beginning to make more and more sense to you? Even though you might still be suffering, or confused, and will certainly have backsliding days, are you beginning to see signs of improvement?

...begin to write down the changes you have noticed. Save that piece of paper....Do not lose sight of the difference between where you started and where you are now....Hang that list up and jot more things down whenever you think of them. Knowing that you are indeed on the road to recovery will help you keep up your energy and your hope." -p 53-54 (1st Fireside Ed)
Old 04-11-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Violet.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:09 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Del!

Thinking of you GG!

Someone in the March group recommended an Apple coloring app called Pigment if anyone needs some mindless distraction. I may check it out later. I love coloring, I'm just usually coloring My Little Pony and Star Wars characters.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:40 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Also wanted to share another quote, short and sweet (which I need) that I'm trying to live my daily life by.

I ask myself if the choice I am thinking of making will help me do the following:

"I'm gonna make the rest of my life, the best of my life."
Old 04-11-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Del!

Thinking of you GG!

Someone in the March group recommended an Apple coloring app called Pigment if anyone needs some mindless distraction. I may check it out later. I love coloring, I'm just usually coloring My Little Pony and Star Wars characters.
I have Hot Wheels, Pixar Cars and Jurassic Giants coloring books, and the Crayola 120 box. LOL
Old 04-11-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by OldTomato View Post
my problem is that I doubt myself and think I can't deal with anything without alcohol.
I can identify with the above, when I apply the criterion "past behavior is predictive of future behavior." On what past evidence is there a basis for confidence? That is the tough question. For now, I just avoid philosophizing and instead mechanize my schedule so as to get through the next 24 hours.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Happy 6 weeks Lee!
Old 04-11-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Good morning Soberdoodles.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Good morning OOTT!
Old 04-11-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mel12 View Post
I can identify with the above, when I apply the criterion "past behavior is predictive of future behavior." On what past evidence is there a basis for confidence? That is the tough question. For now, I just avoid philosophizing and instead mechanize my schedule so as to get through the next 24 hours.
I just remind myself that sure, alcohol did give me confidence, but it was the wrong kind of confidence. The "I don't care that I've just passed out on your bathroom floor" and the "I don't care that you can smell alcohol on my breath at work" kind of confidence. Definitely not a positive in my life.

Taking things one day at a time is a great way of living Mel.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Also wanted to share another quote, short and sweet (which I need) that I'm trying to live my daily life by.

I ask myself if the choice I am thinking of making will help me do the following:

"I'm gonna make the rest of my life, the best of my life."
Old 04-11-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

I've got an interview! In two days time, front of house at a sport centre. I'm not sporty in the slightest, oh dear. Not far away from my house at all though, and you're not REQUIRED to be sporty.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OldTomato View Post
Thanks for sharing Applekat. Still pretty deep in the woods personally but it's getting lighter. Sometimes I'm just standing still. But I'm not turning back or lost and walking round in circles anymore.
OT, I love this...well said! I like the thought that even if you are just standing still it is better than going backwards or going in circles. I'm going to remember this one! Thanks!