Old 04-13-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of March 2016 Support Part 9

The last part:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-8-a.html
Old 04-13-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on getting your 1 month chip Casey!!! :-)
Old 04-13-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow we're a chatty bunch aren't we!!
Old 04-13-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Part 9, yay for us Thanks Anna.
Hope your meeting goes well Casey, be proud of that chip.

Ok so I'm sitting here reading on my kindle and computer all things sobriety. All my favorite sober blogs, websites, books....and as I read, I felt my mind wander to this: I feel good now, but why do I have to stay sober permanently? I think it will be fine to just drink on the weekends or every other week and then sober up and feel good like I do now. Why am I putting myself under so much pressure to quit drinking for good, or for such a long term? I have lost 35 pounds since January drinking a few times a month, so it's not like I have to be 100% sober to lose weight.

That's the start of it for me. I'm writing it out, putting it out there, making myself accountable. I won't drink tonight, and I'm not specifically planning to drink, but this is the beginning of my mindshift and right around now, day 3, is when it starts. The misery of Monday (day one) is fading, I bounced back quickly (like I do these days because my body is so used to this back and forth), and my addiction is whispering in my ear.

I am hoping telling on myself like this is a start of doing something different and not letting those thoughts fester.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey!!! I got the first post on the new thread in this time! Maybe that's a good sign? :-)
Old 04-13-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fbl I have a similar pattern of thinking, around day 3 too. Hmmm, thanks for sharing that.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

FABL...I totally relate to your post! My brain starts telling me lies around day 3 too. It's BS! Just tell you AV to shut up! It will never get better...only worse. Alcoholism is progressive.

Good for you for telling on your AV!!! I think that's huge and you're doing great!!!
Old 04-13-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have a great evening everybody. I'm gonna' lay down and watch some TV. See ya' tomorrow!
Old 04-13-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nite BBG! :-)
Old 04-13-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Our part 1 took us 12 days to fill. This part took us less than 5. The difference? We picked up Casey. Lol.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
Our part 1 took us 12 days to fill. This part took us less than 5. The difference? We picked up Casey. Lol.
Lol ❤️
Old 04-13-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi guys, thanks everyone for sharing...gotta get some sleep ~~~ maybe a road trip is what we all need! Then we could do a 5k run and celebrate with ice cream

Sending hugs all around
Old 04-13-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 View Post
Hi guys, thanks everyone for sharing...gotta get some sleep ~~~ maybe a road trip is what we all need! Then we could do a 5k run and celebrate with ice cream Sending hugs all around
Yeah!!! When are we leaving? :-)
Old 04-13-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My husband lacks empathy for any situation he has never been in but when he has been in it, somehow it is worse for him than anyone else. Heck his grandma is still alive and when she does die, the world will have to stop spinning, but my mom dies and it business as usual. I'd like a bottle of wine to knock him over the head with right now!
Old 04-13-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Finishing up day 8. I hear ya, forabetterlife and immri. The third day sober is a tough one. Its like, hey! I feel better, I can drink after all! Its just BS, though. Dont believe everyrhing you tell yourself. Or do, and start the cycle all over again. When you are finally tired of the roller coaster, and, God willing, you havent wound up dead or in jail, you will get through day 3 and more, and you'll allow yourself to experience real sobriety and lasting joy and serenity. I dont mean to be grilling you, I just know from far too many rollercoaster rides that pattern. This is a day-by-day disease and we grow every day we validate our alcoholism by not drinking. Or, we continue to fool ourselves over and over again. I am not judging, as I am only 8 days in this time. I am lamenting my identification with the pattern described. I wish it werent so, but here I am.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Sorry for your loss, peacefulrain. And sorry your husband is being a lunkhead. I am a lunkhead husband at times too. We are just men, so you have to take that into account. I wish you peace.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Meeting was darn good. Good mix of newcomers and oldtimers. Saw a good handful of people I already knew, met some new folks as well. Topic was learning how we can't control how others act, we can only control our reaction to them.

I got my one month chip. I'm going to continue carrying my 24 hour chip when I leave the house as it's important for me to remember that today is the most important day of all. Maybe after I accumulate a few more monthly chips, I'll get a little shadowbox frame of some kind to put them all in. For now, that one month chip will look nice on top of my dresser.

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
Hey! I resemble that remark! Like I've said before, don't say I didn't warn all of you! From my first post in this class on March 14, 2013, at 9:49 am:

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Advance warning: I like to talk a lot.
Click here for the full post

Surrender2win was the first to welcome me to this class right below that linked post. She could most definitely have told all of you about my being a blabbermouth as she also had to put up with me in her previous class of May 2015. That poor woman.

Speaking of that class, we've now moved past that class' thread total as it's still stuck in part 8. I think I've mentioned before that it kind of died a slow demise starting sometime around the 2.5-3 month mark when we had some stupid in-fighting. I feel bad for my part in that and will never let myself get involved in something like that here again. I probably owe a couple of people here apologies for that, but I don't think they are active members here at the moment. I'll keep an eye out.

FABL--you're not just quitting drinking because of the associated weight loss. Don't let your addiction lie to you. Think through those thoughts to ALL the reasons you want to get sober, to all the bad consequences of your drinking in the past and the possible consequences if you continue. Good on you for putting those thoughts out there. All of us will continue to call BS on your addiction for you. You can do this! WE can do this!

I think I got the first post in the last part of our class, KiKi0615, and I'm still sober. Never know--maybe there is something magical about riding shotgun.

Glad you're doing good today, beerbgone. It's been great for all of us to have you getting more active again the last few days.

You can all take a road trip to my stomping grounds here in Texas, Purplrks3647, and we'll visit the best ice cream factory in the world in Brenham, Texas, where they make Bluebell Ice Cream. I've been meaning to ask you--is there any significance to the numbers 3647 for you?

Hope your day is going well so far, Bat-immri.

Going to put on an episode of American Crime Story and also probably watch last night's Agents of SHIELD. I'm sure I'll check in again before I crash. But in case I don't, thanks to each and every one of you for keeping me sober for one more day.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Re-Member

PeacefulRain, I am sorry your husband isn't helping you in your grief. Have you considered maybe seeing a grief counselor or joining a grief support group to get the support you are missing at home? Like I said before, we're here if you need to vent or talk. I lost my mom unexpectedly just over two years ago, and I am most definitely still processing it. And while I don't suggest hitting your husband over the head with any kind of bottle or other object, please stay away from wine bottles period.

I just finally noticed your avatar, LoftyIdeals. That is hilarious! Hope you are doing OK today. Congratulations on day 8!
Old 04-13-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, been Mia for a few days due to being sore and tired from trying to keep busy.
I think I'm on day 18 I have to back and look at my last posts. Had my 2 week post op appt today and was given the all clear to drive again Now is where the hard part comes in for staying sober. Now that I can drive again I can attend aa but also need to avoid the liquor stores. Getting back into the swing of thing without that temptation is going to be hard. I need to check in before I take my daughter to school than after which is like 15 mins. This way I'm accountable for myself and not going off and making a special trip to the liquor store. I need to get back home and not tempt myself.
Also visited my doc and talked about getting to the root of the insomnia and sleep issues so he prescribed me celexa and we're hoping that will help. In the mean time though till it actually starts to,work,he gave me something called alprazolam, has any had any experience with this to help sleep? He said it was temporary till the celexa starts working4-6 weeks, than I not need the alprazolam he said. I hate taking pills and getting back on this boat but I really am trying hard to stay sober.
My sleep was 75% of my reason for drinking in the first place I know addiction plays a huge role but honestly I would trade in any drink for a good nights sleep or just being able to fall asleep before 3am if that makes sence. I don't want to become addicted to meds and I worry about that being an alcoholic and am scare I'm just trading in one substance for another. I want badly to be sober and not have to take anything to help me sleep.

Im sorry I have not read through the last few days of posts so I'm a little out of the loop hope everyone is doing well and hanging in there. I can't believe I'm still here sober 18 days(if im counting correctly) it's the longest I have ever gone sober my first attempt was 14 days so im feeling great about that since this is my second attempt. Many many triggers in the last week but I'm feeling stronger and more confident the more days I go. It's like I'm trying to prove a point to myself I can make it and the longer I go,the more proud I feel. Lol is that bad?

Sorry I don't know how my posts always start getting so big lol I feel talking a lot helps me since my husband doesn't quite understand. This is sort of my only outlet at the moment and missing my terapy this week sort of sucks.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Re-Member

So glad you checked in Keets. Don't worry about catching up on posts--once again, it was mostly ice cream talk. And you want no part of that.

Congratulations on 18 record breaking days! That's awesome. I think that checking in here before and after you get in your car is a good idea. Do whatever it takes to stay away from that liquor store. Build up those accountability muscles!

I don't know anything about those or any other sleeping meds, but I think it's good that you're using your doctor for help with your sleep issues instead of trying to self-medicate with alcohol. As long as you follow the prescription directions completely and don't lie to your doctors, I see nothing wrong with using medication to help you sleep if you need it.

Quit apologizing for long posts! That's what we're here for. Plus, have you SEEN the length of my posts?

Once again, so glad you checked in. I was missing you. In fact, I'd just sent you a private message saying so sometime this evening.