Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 25

Old 03-18-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

My sleep has been pretty good lately. Last night was something weird. I did get a few hour nap this morning so I should be good for the rest of the day and also be able to sleep tonight.
I was afraid that I would sleep all day and not be able to sleep tonight.

In for the bargain.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a good weekend all

D
Old 03-19-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, you too!

UP, that's good news that you're sleeping better

We've started digging a trench for the block work for the base of the conservatory. It's not as difficult as I thought it would be (probably because OH is doing the majority of the hard work - I am supplying him with copious amounts of tea and hearty soup though - so it's a good trade). I'm having to move quite a lot of established plants out of the way. My next job will be relocating the gold fish.

It is fun starting a new project.

Tops, have you put some thought to your exercise routine? My half hour in the morning is going amazingly well. I actually look forward to getting up (usually). My mantra, as I wake is "don't think, just move", it works really well. I know that if I start thinking, I'll persuade myself to stay in bed.

Hope everyone's having a good start to the weekend.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I'll have to try that mantra.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Wild weather, heavy fog, grey as a ghost.
Relieved to be sober.

Dont think, Do..! is a famous qoute used in australian football.
I should have listened to the coach...

Hope all are well....

stay tuned.....
Old 03-20-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

UP, have you tried a yoga session yet?

I might do a bit this evening, I could really do with something to relax my body and mind. I've been tired all day, not sure why. Probably need to go to bed a bit earlier.

I'm re-reading "the power of now" by Eckhart Tolle. This will be the third time I've read it. Each time I seem to see something new. I'd love to go on one of his retreats one day.

What's everyone reading round here?
Old 03-20-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Obo, you're doing great!

It'll soon be baby Anna's 1st birthday, it's about the same time as my sober anniversary if I remember rightly - near the 20th April?
Old 03-20-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Actually I haven't started yet free, I do need to start.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Freein, ...Your new project sounds fun indeed !
Isn't it a wonderful luxury to have no pressures with completion dates, and fulfilling contracts ?!
I'm constantly grateful not having to work under those terms anymore,....
LOL,.... Would literally starve to death trying to charge a few bucks for the little repairs and projects I trudge through nowadays.

Replaced a *water separator fuel filter* that looks exactly. like an automotive oil filter today,( how hard could it be, right ? )

...naturally the first one wouldn't match up with the threads. Happened to have an identical second new one and it worked fine. Whew ?!!
Glad not to have forced the first one and cross threaded the male coupling !

Noticed a badly rusted cylindrical shaped laminated double screen inside this thing called a "strainer " yesterday ....after searching the web, I learned it basically strains the sea water before the water enters the pump on it's way to a live well. At first glance I feared it would be another long, involved internet search to determine and locate a replacement,..

Not one. word imprinted on the body of it ,... no clue who even manufactured the thing !
........ after removing the sceen and soaking it in a rust killer liquid called Ospho ( designed to kill rust before priming and painting )....the rust started breaking up from the outside stainless steel cylindrical screen. I'd go back every hour and brush it some more with an old toothbrush, .. it looked surprisingly ( almost ) new by late afternoon !
Small victory for high grade stainless steel and a whole lot of brushin' !

Originally Posted by freein14 View Post
Tops, have you put some thought to your exercise routine? My half hour in the morning is going amazingly well. I actually look forward to getting up (usually). My mantra, as I wake is "don't think, just move", .
What a wonderful concept for so, so many situations Freein !

As a kid in trouble, it was an epiphany to employ that mantra if, or when the police came.
.... Cops must've been smokers in the 70's . And probably eatin' wa.aay more doughnuts than the iron pumpin' LEO nowadays.
Our local deputies seem to be true fitness buffs !!

To answer your question .,,, I still want to get back into cycling. Like Up,.... just haven't taken the plunge.

Yet.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:34 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

There are still some of the "pudgy" LEOs around tops. I would have no reason to but, I've seen a few that you just look at and think "yea, I'd run from him." They should make them K9 officers, I wouldn't even consider running from a dog no matter how guilty I am.

Glad the strainer worked out, it's nice when things go your way sometimes.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:53 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Afternoon Fools,

38 days.....

All good here.

People........ These so called friends of ours, who sub-let their apartment to the crazies below. That's where my mind has been today.
I'm angry about the way they treated us.

So there's a lesson here and I have enough awareness to try and learn it.

We both have done quite a bit over the years to help this couple.
Money lending, family staying in our flat, helping their children etc....

When the chance came for them to do something for they didn't.
And it's that simple.
They chose not to help!

And that hurts. That's the simple truth.
But why does it hurt, because i thought they were friends.
So what, why does it bother you so much, because it's a collective of all other friends/girlfriends/people who have let me down in the past.

So I'm still carrying the "pain body" so to speak.......

This is exactly where the problem is for me. This is the heart of it.
It's not the people or their actions, good or bad, it's my inability to let it go.

Ranting now, haven't done this in a while.

It's just not good when so called friends let you down!

stay tuned.....
Old 03-21-2016, 01:45 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Administrator

I could never let things go either Obo - for me I worked out it was more about pride than it was about anger.

I hated being 'took' and I hated being taken for granted.

These days, I don't sweat the small stuff...and it's all small stuff Obo. Honestly.

I dunno how much of those links I posted a few weeks back, but if you want one book that could help you change the way you react to things, this is a good start.

“...when you let go of your expectations, when you accept life as it is, you're free.To hold on is to be serious and uptight. To let go is to lighten up.”

“True happiness comes not when we get rid of all of our problems,but when we change our relationship to them, when we see our problems as a potential source of awakening, opportunities to practice, and to learn.”

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life by Richard Carlson

D
Old 03-21-2016, 02:06 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Powerful thoughts Dee,
Just what I needed to hear today

Thanks mate...
Old 03-21-2016, 02:26 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.
I cant tell you how much I appreciate all that you do to help.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:14 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Administrator

no worries guys

D
Old 03-21-2016, 12:34 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Thanks D, I'll have to check that out.
Quite often I feel like I've piled up so many small problems throughout my life that there is no way of getting above it all.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Tops, it sounds very technical, glad to hear you've solved the filter issue and been able to clean up the strainer thing. It's so satisfying to learn how things work, and even more so to be able to fix things

I could with a dose of "don't sweat the small stuff" too. What a liberating idea.

2 of our gold fish seem very swollen, I've looked on the internet and it could be one of many things, it doesn't look like it's contagious, but I think I might isolate them from the others when the temporary pond arrives. I hope they're not suffering.

Hope everyone's had a good start to the week.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Top- yes, sounds very technical indeed. I guess the most "technical" thing I'm facing is how to get the algae out of our little pond ... Without killing the fish ...

Obo- I'm sorry that you were let down- that's just not right, especially by folks you considered "friends".

We're rocking along ... Dealing with some stressful situations. I guess that's just life ?!

Looking forward to an evening with the final episodes of Downton abbey. Sad to see it come to an end!

❤️
Old 03-21-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by topspin View Post

Thanks y'all.
It's been a memorable, and wonderful two year journey with every one of you.

I managed to turn what appeared to be a 20 minute job into 4 hours today.
Two good things :
1 ) .....avoided breaking any plastic parts on two tail lights
2)....it's done !!

Will have to use a different approach to replacing some rusty trailer brackets and bolts this weekend. What I tried today definitely. wasn't working.

Looking forward to a new workout routine this spring. These little projects have a way of wearing me out now that I've apparently slipped into physical torpidity.

Izzy,....check out this sweet thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cat...ature=youtu.be

It's a keeper compared to the ones for sale in Ca.
....and in your neck of the woods !?!!!
btw, love it! When I'm old(which seems to be coming sooner than later), I want to be driving around in something like that doing who knows what ... At least ill be in a cool truck .
Old 03-21-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Found a PDF of dont sweat the small stuff!
Looks like the students are on videos today!

Great read, thanks again!

stay tuned............