Notices

Class of December 2015

Old 12-09-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 461 (permalink)  

6 days along the path. Very sad over my eldest daughter's anger, and shutting me out of her life - but I completely understand her frustration and this just gives me more help in not picking up the first drink. Also coming here is a gift.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  

So I just had a kind of ah-ha moment. I calculated the amount of money that I've been spending on alcohol daily. Then I multiplied that by 365 and got my yearly costs. While shocking, that still didn't hit home.

Then I divided by 12 to get the monthly cost. Guess what? It's as expensive as a car payment! Holy cow! Crazy!

One more reason to put down the bottle/can for me.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats everybody making it through Wednesday
Old 12-09-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by julesonya View Post
Another good night on a work trip. I am realizing that my old job really engaged me in drinking in excess. Normally my coworkers would be out drinking all night tonight, not this new job.
This is one of my major triggers — work travel, and work dinners. I have definitely lived large over the years when I travel for business. The companies and people I have worked for and with embrace the work hard, play hard idea — with much alcohol. I'll be going to my first work dinner next week since I chose sobriety earlier this month.

I am confident in my ability to get through it, but still a bit anxious about it. I also know that I do have the option of just not going, if the anxiety becomes too much or I am feeling to weak or vulnerable that day.

It's crazy to me how much alcohol is embedded into some company or team cultures. I definitely perpetuated it, too.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FacingFuture View Post
So I just had a kind of ah-ha moment. I calculated the amount of money that I've been spending on alcohol daily. Then I multiplied that by 365 and got my yearly costs. While shocking, that still didn't hit home.

Then I divided by 12 to get the monthly cost. Guess what? It's as expensive as a car payment! Holy cow! Crazy!

One more reason to put down the bottle/can for me.
I done that with the cigarettes for 2 people based on me and wife smoking 30 a day between us , worked out about £5,000 a year .
we've been stopped over 4 years so that's a bob or two . We didn't really save it though .
Sorry I went off track from the alcohol expenditure .
Old 12-09-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nightswimming50 View Post
It's nice to be on board with you guys. This is my first time in a monthly thread and I am on day 2 of being sober. I had a rough weekend and got a talking to from my wife. My plan is to start spending quality time with my family after dinner instead of drinking myself to sleep. The thought I've been using to fight of my AV is that today I will be living life the way I want to experience it. I plan to get away from being a homebody and start experience life again. Movies, bowling, kids sporting events, etc. I am looking forward to a great Christmas as a sober father.
nightswimming50, I love this — very similar sentiments to where I am. I've used the time after dinner to get progressively drunker and retreat from the people I love. Not my intention in the beginning, just how things ended up.

The past few nights — I'm on Day 7 today — have been really good. I've tried to spend more of my time at dinner engaging with the family, laughing, and asking about everyone's days with genuine interest, instead of interest in hurrying through dinner so I could get back to drinking / myself.

Then, I've looked for some things to do with the kids — watch a game together, play a game, help with homework, anything. I'm thinking of turning "what should we do together tonight?" into an open question every night, to find ways we can connect and also keep myself distracted.

Good work. It feels great to see your results, and have a few ideas of my own based on yours.

BTW - any chance your screenname is a reference to the amazing REM song?
Old 12-09-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Leasha and Jense stay strong this evening. You can do it!
Old 12-09-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jenses View Post
Great job! It's smart that you are planning ahead. I also have an event this evening which involves alcohol - I will take your approach and plan to splurge and get a root beer (one of my favs)!

Let me know how tonight goes. I might just order a pop for myself tonight too.. I don't usually drink pop but would be nice to have one... A reward for 9 days sober
Old 12-09-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Wow, I'm free.
And old enough to enjoy this like I've first seen it yesterday.
YEAH!

Old 12-09-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Joe Rio and Delilah

Congrats on 7 days, nearly 7 days, or 7 days plus: NT and CuteNGayYay, JL, beautifulpines, Leasha and atxJoushua

Congrats too to everyone else hitting a milestone today, no matter what it is

and thanks for including me on the roster...feels nice

D
Old 12-09-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Night swimming by REM

Atxjoshua, thanks for taking notice of my screen name. It is based on the song. One of my favorite things to think about is the age of innocence and how it slowly slips away. I think the song captures that concept beautifully. I also find the music serene. What do you like about it?
Congrats on enjoying your family again, keep it rolling. Last night I didn't have anything scheduled so I took the family bowling and then watched a movie with my wife and daughter. It meant the world to me that they actually enjoyed my company.
Thank god I have to take my son to wrestling practice tonight because I can hear my AV worming around. I just tell it that I don't drink anymore. Having something else to do sure helps.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

I'm on day 1 again. I was going to wait till tomorrow to come clean, but I'm struggling. I've been somewhat in denial I think for what a grip alcohol has on me. I blame everything else and use it as an excuse to drink. It's not solving anything and I end up stuck in the same mess. The one thing I can control today is not drinking. So day 1 it is. Thanks for understanding.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Rio, day 1 for me too. We're here for you!
Old 12-09-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atxjoshua View Post
This is one of my major triggers — work travel, and work dinners. I have definitely lived large over the years when I travel for business. The companies and people I have worked for and with embrace the work hard, play hard idea — with much alcohol. I'll be going to my first work dinner next week since I chose sobriety earlier this month.

I am confident in my ability to get through it, but still a bit anxious about it. I also know that I do have the option of just not going, if the anxiety becomes too much or I am feeling to weak or vulnerable that day.

It's crazy to me how much alcohol is embedded into some company or team cultures. I definitely perpetuated it, too.
I spend 50% of my time travelling for work and at least 75% of those nights involve some kind of team/client/PR dinner. So its a big and important part of my life so getting through it is as important as anything else in my recovery.

I think the easiest way for me is to tell my team that I am training for a marathon (I run when I can) in 6 months time and I am off the beers and eating healthy. But that I love my food and partying so I need them to support me to go sub 4 hours and not derail me. Said with a smile. But they all get the point and never involve me in drinking. I also say that the last thing they want is the boss drinking with them.

The hardest is clients, especially when there is big money on the line and they expect (Asian culture) to get drunk with you. Kind of like a childish man bonding thing. Sometimes I just say no. In cases when I need to do something I decline but offer to bring them golfing or to go and see some sights on a Saturday morning with their family. This has the added benefit in that the wife sees me as a "good man".

That just leaves those lonely nights in the hotel alone. For that their is netflix and they gym.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rio97 View Post
I'm on day 1 again. I was going to wait till tomorrow to come clean, but I'm struggling. I've been somewhat in denial I think for what a grip alcohol has on me. I blame everything else and use it as an excuse to drink. It's not solving anything and I end up stuck in the same mess. The one thing I can control today is not drinking. So day 1 it is. Thanks for understanding.
I definitely can relate to that. I had a hard time admitting I had a problem. After a thousand mornings saying I wouldn't drink, I did anyway.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

I hate that. 3-4am I'm all under conviction, and by nightfall I'm back drinking doing housework as an excuse to drink ( like a drinker needs help with an excuse).
Made another day.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Uh, wait... I posted that I was around 7-8 days. I took 2 swigs of a drink on Sunday I think. I'm really on like 3-4.
Don't care. I'm too tired from work.
Just being accountable. That's made a lot of difference in my life the past yr or 2.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rio97 View Post
hi Rio, have you tried AVRT. It is a good way of stopping that first day. If you search "AVRT crash course" and click through the 28 cards/pages it may help you a little
Old 12-09-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Day 10 here. Feel good. Yesterday no cravings. Sleep is starting to regulate thank god. Lots of energy at work and substantial backlog of work cleared so I am starting to see a little blue sky. Its not a time to celebrate and let the AV talk me around but rather a time to start to think of my life after drinking and what I want it to look like.....
Old 12-09-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Congrats on everyone with their sobriety.

I completed all my task on my to-do list and now im ready for some sleep.

See you guys tomorrow!