Notices

Class of October 2015 Part 3

Old 11-04-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Good morning - Day 25 here. Looking forward to getting to the big "30". I have managed that only two times in the past several years. This time is different because I've been through more, I know more, and I have more tools that I'm using. I'm also way more steady and confident than in prior attempts.

I slept like a rock and even overslept so now trying to get the household moving. My son made his bus so that's good. I have a full day of work ahead of me. Work is good for me. It gets my mind off of problems at home. Makes me feel useful as well.

Didn't make my SMART meeting yesterday but did make Group Therapy and Yoga (and work and the school tour). I guess there's only so much you can do in one day. I'm trying very hard with everything I need to do.

Have a awesome Wednesday everyone - looks like another heavenly fall day on the east coast!!
Old 11-04-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Hi Class!

I'm so glad I found you guys! I haven't been able to log on in a few days because things have been just crazy. But I have been staying the course and today I am on day 18!! So happy about that. I think keeping busy has been really helping with it. There have been times I have struggled, for example Sunday afternoon was completely free, which is pretty unusual. I really wanted a few beers, (or more!) but I didn't so I feel pretty good about that.
The upcoming holidays are scaring me a bit. AV has been pretty persistent about the fact that I can let myself drink at least for the holidays and then get back on the horse. I'm not too sure about that.
Have a great sober day everyone!
NACN
Old 11-04-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Have a great day guys! Off today...cleaning the house, that always make me feel good!
Old 11-04-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Day 12 for me for about the 800th time,been reading around a lot,I like the personal stories and how they managed to quit for good,hello to all,let's have a wonderful AF Wednesday😁
Old 11-04-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Good morning! I had a drinking dream last night. That was disturbing. I woke up mad then I realized I didn't really do it. That came as a relief. Back to work today! Have a great Wednesday everybody!
Old 11-04-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Yes!! A sober Wednesday for the whole class! I overslept and am checking in here while at work, so I really can't stay long.

Griz, Drinking dreams can be so real, so unsettling! What a waste of REM!!

Winslow...good work! This can be the last time you say that about day 12. SR sure is full of support and plans for "what works". We are here for you! Be sure to plan how YOU will stay sober. And post anywhere in SR if you are struggling...the October Weekender Bus thread saved my bacon this week, true fact.

Key--hope your day off is great!
NACN-- drink for holidays and then have to get back on that miserable bony biting bucking horse??? No thanks!!! so glad you got your tech issue resolved and can be back with us.

Juno--love your chatty, descriptive posts. Yes, this time I have been through more and know more. This time I know my AV and I are NOT one and the same.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Day 19 for me. The past few days have been pretty easy, except for a minute (literally) when I passed the micro brew section at my local grocery store. This was a terrifying experience for me because the urge came on so strong and sudden. Honestly, it really shook me up. I've been through the urges, AV voice, etc., but not this. In any event, onward with another great sober sunrise and sunset.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Morning Fellow Ocsobers....
Day 31. Just woken up this Thursday morning. Its been raining and drizzly for a while here now and it always dampens my mood.
I am sleeping so well and so deep and my dreams are vivid. Sober is just worth this..
This weekend having a getaway to the country. My first getaway being sober. One of the "firsts"I am doing sober. In January I am flying to Europe for a quick 1 week visit to see my sick mum and my sister. That's going to be a BIG first sober as I don't like flying ( I have always had to "calm my nerves" with alcohol as I feel claustrophobic etc and I will not be surprised if this becomes my breaking point) this is 24hour flight (with a transfer in Singapore). However, not thinking about that now as its almost 2 months away.
Today is the reality and today is my now.
Not much else to add today. Keep well class and keep sober!
Old 11-04-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Well, I'm up at 4am feeling not quite right. I have some muscle pains and my youngest has missed school with a fever (first time she has missed school since she started 4 years ago) so I might be coming down with something.

Today, when I make it through, I will have made exactly 2 months. This is how I see it.

Positives
- great sleeping patterns (obviously last night excluded)
- weight/fat loss. Slower and less than I would like but around 4kg. I'm about 78 now
-more energy and no afternoon slump
- more positive and enthusiastic
- massive uplift in simple self-esteem
- fleeting moments of sheer joy
- a better father and husband
- I probably look better. Got told last night that my face is less round. I think it was a compliment.

Negatives
- I've had moments of slight depression( a new one for me)
- less money. More energy means needing to occupy myself by doing things. Drink is cheap here.
- becoming less sociable and slightly more reclusive.

There's probably more on both sides but off the top of my napped that's it for now.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Midton..your positive list is longer than negatives..Well done on 2 months!!!
Old 11-04-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sydneyman View Post
Midton..your positive list is longer than negatives..Well done on 2 months!!!
To be honest I kind of struggled making a list of negatives.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

It seems every one is doing well, so congratulations, stick with it. I'm on day 32, so in 3 more days, I'll have 5 weeks sober.

Midton, could you clarify why you have less money since you stopped drinking? Most people who quit drinking end up saving money. Are you shopping etc. rather than drinking? Personally, I see nothing wrong with spending a little more money if it helps you stay sober. I know that I've been spending more money on junk food and sweets since I've quit drinking; although, the money I've saved from not buying alcohol and cigarettes is much more than what I've spent on comfort food.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Time2rise

I know I seem to be in the minority regards spending as most people seem to save. But I generally drank cheap wine at home before.

I'm the past I could escape into drink and spend hours doing nothing. If I went anywhere I'd want to come back by around 5 to start drinking. Now, at the weekends, I need to do something to fill the time. So I'm taking more day trips. This might be shopping (spending money buying things) or travelling (spending money on events/entrance fees). Then there are all the ancillary costs such as travel expenses and eating out.

This weekend for example I'm travelling 2 hours to go shopping and with no real need to buy anything. The train fare alone would more than cover my alcohol consumption. Then I'll buy things I don't need to make myself feel momentarily happy. I'll have 2 restaurant meals also.

But I'm doing all this with my family so it's all good really. Time and money well spent.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Ah I see. Thanks for the clarification Midton.

As you said, it's great that you're doing all this with your family. Think of it as an investment in your family and new life. Really, you can't put a price on quality time spend with your family. And your children will appreciate this for the rest of their lives.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Midton,I love your list! I read once that its better to buy memories than.things,so even you have less money,at least you're building memories with your family, I think that's priceless😊
Old 11-04-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Congrats class on all the sober days!!!
I had a bit of a hard time this afternoon. My coworkers kept talking about alcohol throughout the day. I'm used to that, but I guess I heard about it for long enough that I started to wonder if I really would Never drink again. I started thinking surely I could drink sometimes... I know those thoughts are normal, and I've certainly thought them before, but today it hit me hard- this strong desire to drink normally. Not today, but some made up time in the distant future. A coworker broke out the wine shortly before 5, and I was literally praying she wouldn't offer it to me. I was nervous! I really don't want to drink today, and I didn't want to get into an awkward conversation about it at work. She didn't offer it to me, and I got the heck out of there sober. As far as the drinking in the distant future fantasy, I just can't let my mind go there. All I have is today, and today I'm not going to drink. Any helpful pointers when that thinking starts to creep in for you would be much appreciated!
Old 11-04-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Grizzly,I HATE when coworkers and my customers talk about drinking! I live in Vegas so its pretty much everyday someone's hungover or making plans to be, they make it sound so fun,I just try and squash the thought super fast and not let it fester,works sometimes, sometimes not,as for thinking about drinking in the future,ugh,that's what caused me to relapse this last time,I knew I had family coming to visit and I toyed with the idea of drinking when they got here so of course I got the party started early,by myself 2 weeks before they even came! That's the problem with trying to control my drinking, thinking only weekends or special occasions easily becomes drinking over a bad day,happy day,full moon,papercut,etc,sorry for going on and on haha😁
Old 11-04-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
That's the problem with trying to control my drinking, thinking only weekends or special occasions easily becomes drinking over a bad day,happy day,full moon,papercut,etc,sorry for going on and on haha😁
Exactly! That is the truth. As soon as I make a concession for one thing, I start finding more "reasons" to drink. Then, before I know it, I'm drinking daily again and wondering if I have to go back to rehab Again to quit because I can't stop on my own. That's how it always goes for me. Thanks for the reality check- I needed it.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Griz, people have told me that little needling voice is my AV that says I can drink again "someday". Don't let AV have the last word, about either today or "someday". I know I can't entertain the thought.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  
Administrator

Griz - the whole of Rational Recovery is about recognising that voice , breaking it down and dismissing it. It might be something to chase up if you haven;t read anything and are interested.

For me, I finally accepted I was going to die if I kept drinking.
I finally accepted that drinking was toxic for me.

Bottom line for me I could drink...or be who I wanted to be...but not both?

It looks like the past several days have been a bit of a challenge for you - what else do you do for your recovery apart from post here? Can you beef any of that up?

D