Notices

Class of October 2015 Part 3

Old 11-03-2015, 02:36 AM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Heya guys! So glad to see so many of you still going strong! I'm proud of you keep going! I tell people all the time, I don't get trouble with cravings. Mine starts with depression and anxiety. Finally it's lifting although not sure what triggered it. Just glad to be feeling like my normal self again!
Have a wonderful Tuesday!
Old 11-03-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Key of C - I hope you are feeling better

Midton, I always enjoy your well thought out posts. Please post away, even the mundane stuff. I enjoy reading!!

And glad to see others posting again (don't want to mention names in case I miss someone... can't look back to all the posts while I'm typing here!)

I'll try to post daily and keep accountable. I have a journal as well and it's pretty boring stuff, but I try to get my thoughts on paper when I can.

Grizzly, I really like that Winnie the Pooh quote!! I need to print it out and post it somewhere to remind myself that I can't always do everything everyday and sometimes, enough is really enough! Thank you!

Another busy day ahead. Tuesdays are always busy. I've got to remember to slow down and enjoy 'the moments' when they come. Like looking at my cute little dog who is currently waiting for a walk
Old 11-03-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  

I also really enjoy everyone's posts, mundane or not. Mundane is great. Seems that mundane is where recovery is really happening, often -- where real life begins to pick up a more comfortable rhythm.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Hi, peeps. Just checking in. 34 days and feeling pretty good. Last night I went to dinner with a friend with whom I liked to drink.

I told her that I am taking 90 days off and assessing. I also told her that it is easier for me to have none than one.

She got kind of weird and uncomfortable-seeming when I said that.

My sense is that it made her think about her own habits.

I love truth even when it is uncomfortable so I am glad I said it.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Ha, Dee, I just got your avatar. Hilarious!
Old 11-03-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  

I'm still here! Just plugging along...busy at work and keeping busy at home. Glad to see everyone still hanging around.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Hey all,day 11 just checking in to be.accountable and get used to the site,no real cravings,thoughts a little but I don't want to go back,I've been relapsing for 3 years now,ever since I started trying to quit,I too get the overwhelming depressed/anxious feeling and think" hell I'd rather be drunk than feel like this!"working on changing that attitude, hope everyone has a lovely day😁
Old 11-03-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grizzlybearblue View Post
Turningleaf, I'm sorry to hear you had a hard day. I'm glad to hear you didn't drink over it though!
Now I really believe I can do this. I've realized it's not impossible- it's a choice I make each day to not drink and a commitment each day to the things that keep me from drinking. Putting that in writing scares me. Am I being overconfident? I hope not. But I'm seeing now what it takes to not drink and believing I can do that for today.
Here's to a new month gang!! This is uncharted territory for me. I'm excited to see what it brings!
Thank you, Griz! Today is better. Went on a 30 mile bike ride and it cleared my head. :-)

I don't think you are being overconfident in your goal. I know you can do it!

Have a great day!

Old 11-03-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Dee!

Welcome back. Glad you are on the mend.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Day 30 today. Beeme, I hear you. Being sober around drinkers does make them uncomfortable. When you remove alcohol from the picture how much in common do you actually have with a person you known for years. I have a old drinking mate now when alcohol is out of the picture I have nothing to say to him...Its a reality removing alcohol changes you and changes the life around you. I have also told some of my friends that I have given myself until January to dry out. Of course in the beginning nobody thought I could do it (even myself to a degree) now at more than a month they have realised that I am serious. The dynamics at our gatherings have changed as it would.
I just hope that when January ticks over that I don't start again. Until then I feel that I am in safe waters.
Sober is the new black!
Old 11-03-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Congrats Sydney! Good going! Here's to 30 more!
Beeme you too on your 34 days!
I am starting to rise above Juno..thank you for asking! Life is life and that's what we're learning to deal with without the booze...Someday it is wonderful, other days it's still wonderful just have something to tackle or deal with first! I still will take all my bad days sober over one day of drinking!
Old 11-03-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Exactly Key...Everybody has good and bad days, does everybody reach the bottle to cope on a bad day. Don't think so...Its learning to deal with life sober! Good going Key..
Old 11-03-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Haven't checked in for ages!!! Still here, day 16✔
🚫🍷
Old 11-03-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Beeme and TurningLeaf

Congratulations sydneyman!

D
Old 11-03-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Here's my mundane post for the day. I still have this cold, and I am feeling really yucky. This is my second day off work, and I am getting a little stir crazy. Ugh. This too shall pass...
Thank you for your support, Turningleaf : ) A 30 mile bike ride is awesome!! Exercise does wonders to clear my head too. I haven't run in 3 days because of this cold, and I cannot wait to get outside and start running again.
Congrats sydneyman and beeme!! You're doing great!!
Old 11-03-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Sorry about your cold, Grizzly! I can relate. I've had a cold for the better part of the last two weeks and it sucks and I just started feeling like it's the new normal - feeling crappy. Today I feel a little better so there is hope!

On the positive side, I'm sober, through Day 24, no cravings, no issues with alcohol. This does seem to get easier with each passing day. Repaving the pathways in the brain to not think of the "go to" fix for every problem, which for me was wine. I'm still on the Campral and plan to stay on it for a while because it seems to be helping (on top of everything else I'm doing.)

I'm a little sad tonight because my daughter told me she's starting to get depressed again. Nothing to take the wind out of your sail like a depressed kid, whom you love very much and feel helpless to help. Ugh. I'm not prone to depression myself but when those I care about are depressed it's hard to keep upbeat and happy. I'm trying to maintain my positive outlook. It's very hard!

Okay, time to rest.

p. s. Sydneyman - congrats on 30 days! And Beeme on 34! And everyone else racking up the days!
Old 11-03-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 34 days Beeme
D
Old 11-03-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Hey you guys, 17 days sober, looking forward to getting that first month behind me, that will feel good. It's good to know the body is healing. Was just thinking back to Halloween night, people asked me why I was taking a break from alcohol, didn't have the heart to tell them I'm an alcoholic. I just tell people I'm taking a break, trying to get my blood pressure down or something.

My wife and I are getting together with the new neighbors across the street Friday night for dinner, I'm pretty shy, usually need a couple beers to help break the ice, I won't have that option this time around. Thankfully they are Mormons, so mostly likely won't be drinking them selves.

I feel great, just keeping myself and my mind busy, not watching much tv or partaking in much social media lately, just focusing on my sobriety and my well being. I've been trying out a couple mediation apps which I really enjoy, tried Headspace for the free 10 day trial, now using Calm, highly recommend both. I also downloaded a sobriety counter app for my phone, that way I don't have to try and remember how many days sober, also another tool to keep me motivated, it's called sober time, blue background with clock in a triangle, highly recommended, even has clever motivational sangs.

Keep up the good work guys, you keep me going! I need you guys. I surprised on how easy this is getting, zero cravings as of late.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Thought for the day.

In 2009 when I first joined here I made around 100 days. Then one night I was on the last day of a vacation, the previous 3 nights I'd been with my kids, and my wife joined us. We were staying in a nice hotel and went out for food, taking advantage of an Indian restaurant which my city doesn't have. Caught up in the mood I decided to have some wine, ignore the fact that wine and curry ain't the best mix. I remember it tasted chemical-ish and that I couldn't finish it, cheap plonk that it was. I woke up sweaty, disorientated and with a strange mixture of relief and disappointment. I think I felt relief similar to the way the pressure is lifted when a team loses after a long winning run.

Today it occurred to me that if I were to break my sobriety now one bottle wouldn't be sufficient. I would drink to obliterate my sobriety, to really escape into drunkeness. I'm sure that I'd feel terrible remorse the next day.

The point I'm trying to make in this rambling post is that I've changed and not in a good way. My drinking has progressed/regressed to a worse place. Just a sip, a taste would be insufficient and six years ago it was. My situation is chrystal clear.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:48 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  
Administrator

The good news to take away from that tho is that you never have to drink again Midton.

It's completely within your power to stay sober

D