Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 2

Old 07-09-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Started Day 4 about 3 hours ago. I slept like a champ! I don't think I drank so much that I had much withdrawals, but I want to stop for good. I don't need that parasite living off me. Empty calories, money spent, all for what?

I have two young children and I need energy to keep up with them. They need a dad who isn't buzzed half the time and a dad who is truly present. Same goes for the wife. Hell the same goes for work, as I'm work in business2business sales and I need to have a lot of energy, be able to think on my feet.

I hope everyone can stay strong and for those going through the pain of withdrawals, I feel for you. But we know it gets better with time.

Lots of love, y'all!
Old 07-09-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChickChick View Post
Hi, I'd like to join you all. I'm ready to get off this merry go round of drinking and trying to quit for good.
Day 2. I'm about to go dump the rest of the beer and cigarettes I can find.
I plan to sit down and work on my plan today. It works for a while but I need more options.
I look forward to getting to know you all.
Hey Chick. Welcome! I've tried to quit before but on my own and we all know that doesn't work. I have SR this time. We can do it!
Old 07-09-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ladybug I'm sorry the little one is sick !!
Hi to you all today. Hot out working on day 4.
Wife is taking an entrance test for a local college, today. She's 13 yrs younger than me, so she's got a lot more potential ! I flunked out of college in about 1990 and went into the USMC, to grow up a little.
Already knew how to drink! Lol
Old 07-09-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have had a tough day, had to cry in the toilets a few times as I saw my ex. All his friends are glaring at me. I have a good reputation in the hospital and I'm guessing that's going to disappear now :-(. I have been desperate to drink. Not even to numb my feelings but almost to hurt myself because I hate myself at the moment.

Anyway I got home and came in here and already I feel so much calmer! Magic
Old 07-09-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Just checking in with my Day 4 and saying good morning to everyone (or evening, or afternoon, as the case may be).

Feeling better this morning , a bit (emotionally, nothing too terrible physically yet *knock on wood*).

I suppose I should prepare myself for an emotional roller coaster, now that I'm sober. I was sort of on one anyway, so I suppose it will basically be the same, minus alcohol and waking up and having to delete all of my Facebook posts from the previous night.

I hope everyone has a smooth day. I'll be back to check in again, and thank you everyone for being here.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I've been wanting to quit for almost 7 years now, and have been astonished at how hard it's been. I've only managed a few weeks here and there. I'm feeling better physically now (just a few days), so I've just had to concentrate on getting a better mindset to stay sober.
I had to find a different way to view the cravings (to not be so anxious about them, dreading them) and stop the habitual afternoon impulsivity to drink despite the morning determination not to. So for me, after reading a lot of the AVRT stuff, it’s a final resolve (finally ready for that) where drinking is taken off the table to such a degree that it’s a permanent non-option, not a consideration, not a choice. The second is separating myself from the destructive desire within me (Beast) and the AV, changing the Beast to “it” not “me.” As in I don’t want a drink, but “it” wants a drink right now, and I’m just going to let that side of me struggle while looking at it objectively. I’m actually glad to see that despised evil side struggle, thrash around and suffer because it deserves to after all the grief it’s given me--too bad for “it.” I picture it as a ferocious beast trapped in a cage, thrashing around while I completely ignore it and go about my day. It eventually has to give up, weakened, enfeebled. I’m no longer going to dread the AV; I’m in charge now – somehow it finally clicked.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good for you daisy! Sorry you've had such a rough day, but , as we all know, drinking won't make it any better ... it will just make tomorrow worse. Have a treat and get a good nights sleep
Old 07-09-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! Checking in. Welcome to everyone new! I wish I had the time to respond now, but I read through all the posts on my phone, and I really feel for us all. You have found a good place to be.

I have work today, followed by weekly trivia at the bar with some friends and my boyfriend. This will be the first time I've gone to the bar since being sober. I am not sure what to expect. Right now I'm feeling strong, but I always seem to in the morning...after work is when the AV is just screaming at me after whispering louder and louder throughout the day. I will check in here before I go (I am sure I will be a ball of anxiety), but any tips on being in the bar again are appreciated!! Luckily, these friends are not huge drinkers, sometimes don't drink at trivia (which I always thought was insane, alcoholic that I am), and one of them knows I'm not drinking "right now," but she doesn't know the real reason or that I intend it to be forever.

Good luck to everyone today. Those feeling emotional or ashamed or anxious, try taking deep breaths and letting them out slowly. Drink a glass of water. One minute at a time. We are all here.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Checking in for today, I am really struggling right now, my daughter had a sleepover last night and too put it nicely it was nothing short of a nightmare. I've only had a few hours of sleep, my nerves are shot from dealing with cranky kids, and the only thought I keep having is how much better I would feel if I took a pill.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I would like to join the July class. I quit drinking in December but have started up again. It escalated quickly. I've let my husband and kids down and I am going to lose them if I keep it up. So today is my day 1 and I'll be checking in often. I look forward to getting to know everyone.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Apparently I don't need to be hungover to put my underwear on backwards and inside out. :p Helloooo Day 10!
Old 07-09-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by whiteturtle View Post
I have work today, followed by weekly trivia at the bar with some friends and my boyfriend. This will be the first time I've gone to the bar since being sober. I am not sure what to expect. Right now I'm feeling strong, but I always seem to in the morning...after work is when the AV is just screaming at me after whispering louder and louder throughout the day. I will check in here before I go (I am sure I will be a ball of anxiety), but any tips on being in the bar again are appreciated!! Luckily, these friends are not huge drinkers, sometimes don't drink at trivia (which I always thought was insane, alcoholic that I am), and one of them knows I'm not drinking "right now," but she doesn't know the real reason or that I intend it to be forever.
Buy a Trivial Pursuit game and have an alcohol-free board game night at your house. Your true friends will respect and support this choice.

Protect your sobriety. It's early and it's fragile and hanging around a bar for fun is an unnecessary and potentially dangerous decision. I hope you change your mind.

If you do decide to go anyways, have an exit strategy in place. Drive yourself there and don't be afraid to leave immediately should the urge to drink hit.

Wishing you and everyone else here the best today...
Old 07-09-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

almost end of day 1 here, time to feed the critters and watch some TV.

Curious what tomorrow brings. Busy day tomorrow but wont have a hangover for sure
All the best to everyone else
Old 07-09-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Ashamed to be back at Day 1. Confessed to dr yesterday, got some referrals for counselors, called and left messages then got upset at work and did same o same o. Bottle of wine then 3 beers, I dont even like beer. Tried to post here first but post did not go through. I am sick of myself. Called behavior hotline for my insurance and the psychologist on the line.suggested rehab. Im not ready to do that.So got more referrals for counselors, called and no calls back yet. I really want to do this, why is it so hard?
Old 07-09-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

White turtle that's funny !
Daisy I'm sorry your day was bad, but I'm glad you are home and better.
Sober day for us JulyFlies !
Old 07-09-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sadie1 View Post
Ashamed to be back at Day 1. Confessed to dr yesterday, got some referrals for counselors, called and left messages then got upset at work and did same o same o. Bottle of wine then 3 beers, I dont even like beer. Tried to post here first but post did not go through. I am sick of myself. Called behavior hotline for my insurance and the psychologist on the line.suggested rehab. Im not ready to do that.So got more referrals for counselors, called and no calls back yet. I really want to do this, why is it so hard?
One minute at a time . . . we're all in the same boat.
Binge watch something funny and drop the guilt
like a hot potato - the guilt belongs to that evil
black wolf, not to you!
Old 07-09-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sadie1 View Post
Welcome and stay here with us. This would be the sober bus and you are now on it!
Old 07-09-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Sadie I have had many day 1s and am only on 4 after doing a good job. Broke a bone being a clutz in addition to a familial embarrassment at a huge party this last time, and that was really a kick in the butt for me to try and not go back to day 1 again. No need to appolgize since we have all been there. I am trying to identify what went wrong and have been reading a lot on this site.
Lilly
Old 07-09-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi - perhaps consider rehab and stay close to this wonderful site!
Old 07-09-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi Sadie.
I'm back at day one also after a good amount of sober time. Keep posting and try not to beat yourself up too much. We've got this.